All Things Brisket

kevwun

On 8/9/2023 at 2:39 PM, Dontshootrude said:

I live in Georgia and joined Wild Fork so I would have a consistent supply of dino ribs, but lately it has been hard finding consistent prime grade briskets here.  How many briskets have you ordered from Wild fork and has the quality and size been consistent?  Have you only tried their choice or have you tried the prime as well? 

We have a WF store front near me and I had a coupon so just went in and picked it up. I usually buy from Costco but this was comparable.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you ice chest holders vs. oven at 170 (cause that's how I been doing it) are you pulling your brisket at 205 or whatever then letting it rest for say and hour on the counter to bring the internal temp down then tossing it in the cooler?  Or do you pull from smoker and put in the ice chest almost immediately?

3 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Question for you ice chest holders vs. oven at 170 (cause that's how I been doing it) are you pulling your brisket at 205 or whatever then letting it rest for say and hour on the counter to bring the internal temp down then tossing it in the cooler?  Or do you pull from smoker and put in the ice chest almost immediately?

I've done both and have settled on an hour rest with the paper open to vent.  Then I pipe some rendered beef tallow on it like icing, wrap it tightly in HD foil, and put it in the preheated (a few cups of boiled water in a pyrex dish does well) cooler with a towel to fill the headspace until ready to serve.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm doing one this weekend copying a method I saw on TikTok. 😳 We shall see what happens. I am using a Pit Boss pellet grill, here is the method I saw:

1. I used Worcestershire sauce as the binder. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and Meat Church Gospel. Usually don't add this but I did. (tiktok used some kind of Asian seasoning sauce, salt, pepper, Franklin All Purpose Rub and something else...guess I am not following this EXACTLY how it was)

2. Put the brisket in the fridge for 24 hours (where I am now)

3. Put brisket on the pellet grill, fat side up, water pan underneath at 200 degrees.

4. When it reaches 165 degrees, spritz it, put foil over ends if needed to prevent drying out, turn up the grill to 275. 

5. Pull the brisket when it reaches 190 internal.

6. Wrap with tallow/clarified butter in butcher paper. Then wrap with foil. (Wasn't sure why they did this, but I guess I'll try it)

7. Put it in the oven at 150 degrees to rest. This can go anywhere from 12-18 hours, depending on when you want to slice/eat it. 

8. Take it out and slice. 

I have NEVER tried this before but wanted to try a method that uses the oven. I am hoping it turns out ok. My usual method is similar until I put it on the grill. I usually do at 225 and just let it go until I decide to wrap it. Then take it off internal of 202 or so. I've had good and bad...:)

48 minutes ago, Dignan said:

Pull the brisket when it reaches 190 internal.

I'd probe it for feel, if I were cooking it.  And I wouldn't start until 195 internal at the very least.  The only times I've had briskets probe done at 195F were when I didn't wrap them.

But experiments are fun, and I'm interested to see how this goes.  Good luck.

Edited by dcbc

15 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Always by feel. Temps vary too much. 

I'm guessing pulling it at 190 gets corrected in the long hold.  But I've had them dry out in our old oven that wouldn't go below "170F," which swung between 170 and 220.  New oven does a warming mode at 140F spot on and I still opt for the cooler.

I also recall reading that the longest recommended hold time was something like eleven hours, at which point it was not beneficial and(possibly) detrimental.  But memory fades.

6 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

1) 200 is awful low for a fire

2) Most ovens won't go lower than 170

My best briskets usually get that long rest. 8 hours minimum. 

Most ovens have a way to reprogram them temporarily for lower temps. Mine will allow me to go to a -20 setting which means 170 is now 150. Just don’t forget to program it back or you’ll fuck up your wife’s next batch of cookies.

12 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

Most ovens have a way to reprogram them temporarily for lower temps. Mine will allow me to go to a -20 setting which means 170 is now 150. Just don’t forget to program it back or you’ll fuck up your wife’s next batch of cookies.

Yes.  This is designed to adjust for actual temperature (if you put a thermometer in there).  But be careful, because the temperature swing can be pretty large on older ovens.  So having a way to determine actual interior oven temperature is a good call. 

Props for owning it. That does look ... tough.
Thoughts on how to save it? I suggest braising it in a little water until it falls apart and then making taco, burrito or enchilada filling out of it. Or maybe stir-fried with fresh veggies and rice or noodles.
Don't accept defeat!

It’s actually not tough. It’s tender just dry. My daughter thinks it tastes great. Imma cube it and toss it in sauce and deep fry it so it should be a hit regardless.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

You have to post your L’s with your W’s. Absolutely without question the worst brisket I’ve ever made. It’s just a flat but it’s dry af. Tastes like dry rubber beef.

Got 30 people coming over. Gonna have to punt.

62240f58305b3466693723fadb56b0eb.jpg

shiiiiit just now seeing this.

didn't have to punt, just chop it pretty fine and mix w/ sauce! its still smoked brisket! it won't be fantastic but it will still be fine/edible.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dignan said:

😶 Honestly, I've always wondered if I am cutting the brisket correctly. 

this isn't a perfect image, just stole it from a quick google but it gets the point of it across!

how-to-slice-brisket-lines?scaleFit=poi%

the goal is to cut against the grain. i typically try to cut it where the flat and point meet, then slice the flat if i am cutting all of it it, then turn and cut the point.

Chud did a video on this exact topic! here is a link to the specific timecode you need and the full video below: https://youtu.be/8dzshfTgXxg?t=282

it is 100% worth it to just get the right knife for it too, which you can get wayyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper than this is going for on amazon now. just got to a local restaurant supply store or buy a knife that is close style wise to this Dexter one that i use and that is what you will see at a ton of spots.

https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-13463-12-Inch-Sani-Safe-Scalloped/dp/B004NG98RI

418QtYCX5UL._SL1100_.jpg

i will also say if you are chopping it having a big cleaver helps tremendously. doesn't need to be expensive, just get one, sharpen it and use that plus a bench scraper and it makes life way easier. here is the Oxo one we already had, basically just need one that has an edge to it vs just a flat one.

71gLUMMtFmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

How long does beef tallow keep in the fridge?
been a 3.5 months since I last did a brisket and rendered the trimmed fat from that one.
going to be smoking another one this weekend and looking at piping some over it when it’s resting. 

I just keep it on the counter.