2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I think you nailed it. I can see this being a factor only if we both win our divisions and have the same record. Also curious to know if there is another scenario where this would matter. 

also a factor if (and a big if) both teams are WC and have same record. WC game would be played at Yankee Stadium

Oddly enough, 538's end of year projection has both Astros and Yankees finishing as division winners with identical 102 - 60 records.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-mlb-predictions/

Duhn duhn dunnnnnn!

yeah, losing the season series against an expected playoff opponent is not ideal, but the Astros did the same to the Indians last year who went on to have the best record in the AL...how’d that work out for them?

29 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the odds of neither team winning their division cannot be very good.

Yes, odds not good of both as WC. Right now, Astros are 84% to win division. Yankees are 50% to win division.

I just want a dependable Pen, and a reasonable plan to use it, come September/October

If Hinch wants to use guys only one inning, and set up a Dotel-Lidge-Wagner like system for 7, 8, 9, I think he needs to define the roles, go that way now, and start training the guys mentally for those roles. Relievers are head cases and need a bunch of coddling and positive affirmation. Come out and say "Kenneth is the closer and will work every save situation unless he throws too many pitches saving the prior X number of games." 

If Hinch wants to use whoever is hot or whoever is the best match up, he needs to start letting guys go more than one inning.  Devo threw 9 pitches in the 8th on Sunday; Smith threw 9 pitches in the 7th last night; Rondon threw 10 pitches in the 8th last night. All were effective. All could have gone another inning if properly prepared/conditioned mentally and physically to do so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This appears to be the correct answer.

League Championship Series (ALCS and NLCS)

The winners of the Division Series then advance to the best-of-seven American League and National League Championship Series. The team with the best record in each league will have home-field advantage.

In the event that a wild-card team has the better record than the other qualifying team that is a division champion, the division champion still gets the advantage and hosts Games 1, 2, 6, and 7.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-mlb-playoffs-work-321331

"well, this is awkward"/heloblow.

Yes, odds not good of both as WC. Right now, Astros are 84% to win division. Yankees are 50% to win division.
I just want a dependable Pen, and a reasonable plan to use it, come September/October
If Hinch wants to use guys only one inning, and set up a Dotel-Lidge-Wagner like system for 7, 8, 9, I think he needs to define the roles, go that way now, and start training the guys mentally for those roles. Relievers are head cases and need a bunch of coddling and positive affirmation. Come out and say "Kenneth is the closer and will work every save situation unless he throws too many pitches saving the prior X number of games." 
If Hinch wants to use whoever is hot or whoever is the best match up, he needs to start letting guys go more than one inning.  Devo threw 9 pitches in the 8th on Sunday; Smith threw 9 pitches in the 7th last night; Rondon threw 10 pitches in the 8th last night. All were effective. All could have gone another inning if properly prepared/conditioned mentally and physically to do so.

Top post of the day nominee...

53 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This will never not piss me off. Though probably less so than trading Lofton, who would have been in his prime with Bagwell/Biggio et al. 

Astros have a World Series ring

JD Martinez does not. 

He sucked here.  We didn't need him to win a ring, and we sure as hell don't need him to win another one.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Unfortunate foreshadowing in a few years at SS??
fc4481142a7053f2472fc3d4a9ebd3c4.jpg

Can't see it happening. Harper, Machado or whomever will hit FA 1st. Can't get it under the cap with all they already have. Would worry about the Mets. Them Puerto Ricans love them some New York teams. Still think we keep him.

5 hours ago, Jacob McCandles said:

great post, and generally what i agree with.

hinch played the postseason bullpen last year by feel.  and it worked just enough to win us a world series.  but "by feel" could be subbed with "knew lance and charlie could ball out and handle it".  plenty of other guys fucked up.

i agree about giles, and would like to find at least an a and b setup man, depending on l/r or history vs batters.  mchugh is getting everybody out, but it seems like we don't know when to use him, and he doesn't seem to have the pure stuff for short, high leverage situation (but maybe he has the mental makeup).  earlier in the season it looked like peacock was going to fill the devo-2017 role, but he's a mess right now.  

bottom line is that if you say giles is the closer, and long term he proves he cannot handle it, then you move on, promote someone, likely make a deal, whatever.  but if you move him around, start using multiple guys in multiple roles, you may end up screwing up 2-3 different pitchers, and that's the last thing we need.

we're gonna win the division, and i would guess make a deal for 1-2 relievers.  just get it figured out by october, and i can deal with the occasional hiccup along the way.