2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Verlander was rounding into form his last month in Detroit.  He gave up 11 runs in 6 starts with 5 of those runs coming in one game against Arlington.  He went at least 7 innings in 4 of those starts

He was definitely better in August than earlier in the season, but I think he's been even better since then (3.82 FIP for August 2017 and 2.36 as an Astro).  

8 hours ago, mycox said:

Altuve had a career year last year
Marwin had a career year last year
I'm not concerned about Yuli and Carrera
Reddick is probably a .280/15/70 guy
Bregman needs to step it up
LF is a concern

Eh...Altuve has basically had that season two years in a row; it's not crazy to think he'll approach that kind of production this year (it's also not crazy to think he'' produce more like 2014-15, which is still very good).

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Eh...Altuve has basically had that season two years in a row; it's not crazy to think he'll approach that kind of production this year (it's also not crazy to think he'' produce more like 2014-15, which is still very good).

Exactly.  Currently, Altuve is having his worst season since 2013.  The numbers match up a lot more like 2014 when he had a ton of hits but very little power(7 HR).  My guess is he'll get back into his groove, and probably soon.  

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

gerrit cole has a 1.75 era, a 0.75 whip, with 93k in 61ip and if the all-star game was tomorrow, he wouldn't be starting, even with his mgr in charge.

Lol... it's insanity!! I hope these guys stay healthy all season and can keep this up.  I think even non-Astros fans will start to appreciate just how epic they've been.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

that's the beauty of it - when the bats come around, we won't need to be pitching at this unsustainable level.

What have you seen so far this season that makes you say it is unsustainable?  Just because it hasn’t been done doesn’t mean it can’t be done.  Sure, the wear and tear of the season might have some fatigue effects later on, but nothing we have seen through 1/4 of the season portends a major drop off.  

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

You obviously haven't watched much since he started managing. Not his style. 

Not a good night in the situational hitting department. 

I've watched quit a lot. He should be able to adapt, like any good manager. Like I quoted, its not that hard. Move your runners over and get another run on the board. You have your two superstars coming up.