2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

remember when everyone was wondering what would happen if the hitting ever caught up to the pitching?

pretty sure i heard that this was the 4th time in 60 years that a team had a 10-0 (or better) road trip.

1 game back of best record.

The one game back is a bit misleading since the Yankmees have played 6 fewer games than everyone else. They likely ain't going 3-3 in those games so it is more like 2-3 back effectively

48 minutes ago, WBT said:

I want the franchise win record and best record in baseball this year

We're currently 2nd in MLB in runs scored per game and 1st in runs allowed per game.  Good?

Before today they were on pace for a run differential of 371. The record is 411 and in my lifetime the 1998 Yankees and 2001 Mariners were the only teams to break 300 and they both were around the same 307-310 mark IIRC

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I want the franchise win record and best record in baseball this year

We're currently 2nd in MLB in runs scored per game and 1st in runs allowed per game.  Good?

I would love for our starting 5 pitchers to stay healthy the whole season.

If that happens, the rest will take care of itself.

17 minutes ago, Simon Honeybone said:

The thing is they will need to get their heads out of their asses at home. The home road splits are goddamned insane with them being something like +130 on the road and +22 at home. How is that even possible?

I think they want to do too much for the home crowd.

When they are on the road, they are in "Let's fuck their shit up" mode.

28 minutes ago, Simon Honeybone said:

The thing is they will need to get their heads out of their asses at home. The home road splits are goddamned insane with them being something like +130 on the road and +22 at home. How is that even possible?

They don't apply the same approaches at home with the Crawford boxes.

3 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

The one game back is a bit misleading since the Yankmees have played 6 fewer games than everyone else. They likely ain't going 3-3 in those games so it is more like 2-3 back effectively

you say that, but if they keep getting games ppd, they'll need doubleheaders to make them up.  sweeps aren't easy.  neither is playing thru july/august with no off days.

for now, i'll just go by actual numbers.

you say that, but if they keep getting games ppd, they'll need doubleheaders to make them up.  sweeps aren't easy.  neither is playing thru july/august with no off days.
for now, i'll just go by actual numbers.

Yep. original post made no sense
Yankees flew to Washington today ( in the middle of a homestand) to play a DH against the Nats tomorrow and then fly back to New York to continue the homestand on Tuesday.
They are in the middle of a 17 games in 16 days stretch.
They have a DH in July and August in Baltimore.

i think the 1986 are quietly the best.  definitely underrated.  might be because that was when i really started my astros obsession - 1986 season.

they still have rainbow sleeves and same writing, but don't overwhelm you like the full rainbow.  the guys love the rainbow throwbacks, but someone always says, "well, i love them, but not for everyday".  the 1986 seems like a great every day jersey.

also when i think of biggio and bagwell as rookies, they're wearing the 86.

shooting star is nice but definitely looks old timey.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

i think the 1986 are quietly the best.  definitely underrated.  might be because that was when i really started my astros obsession - 1986 season.
they still have rainbow sleeves and same writing, but don't overwhelm you like the full rainbow.  the guys love the rainbow throwbacks, but someone always says, "well, i love them, but not for everyday".  the 1986 seems like a great every day jersey.

What he said.
All of it.

not to mention the angels are beat up as shit and scuffling pretty hard.

i went to the game on may 14th in anaheim and we lost.  since then, the angels are 13-18 and outside a 3 game set with the yankees, have played a lot of the same teams we're playing now.  even with trout beasting like crazy, it's hard to take them seriously, and there's a real shot they're not even over .500 when we play them.

oh, and we play them on the road (giggle).

the american league is top heavy in a way we haven't seen in decades.  we're gonna have a lot of stretches against .500 or below teams.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

86 are my 3rd favorite jerseys after the shooting stars and the current ones.  I agree the shooting stars look old timey, which is why I wouldn't want them to bring them back as an every day jersey.  Full rainbows are overrated, but they're still actual Astros jerseys.  The open star jerseys, both blue/gold and brick/sand, aren't even Astro jerseys to me.  Its like they were borrowing some other team's uniform.

It seemed like there was a concerted effort in the mid 90s to destroy Houston's emotional ties to their sports teams.  In 94, the Astros switched to blue/gold.  In 95, the Rockets switched to the worst uniform of all time by any team in any sport.  In 97, the Oilers left entirely.

52 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

The rainbow sleeves are probably my favorites but they started wearing those in 87.  86 was still full rainbow.  I remember my dad saying it was bad luck to change them after making the playoffs in 86.

ScottNoHit1.jpg

Edited by WBT