2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Man, I'd love to have Beltre on the roster heading into the 2018 postseason. Especially after we DFA Gattis. Similar to Beltran in more than just name. Of course, the Rangers don't want us to get him, I'm sure...and I'm equally sure I don't want to give up much for the rental. So I can't see it happening.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2018/06/23/source-rangers-make-adrian-beltre-two-relieversavailable-contenderson-mlb-trade-market

They aren’t going to DFA Gattis. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, angryhomer said:

They aren’t going to DFA Gattis. 

They should. They must. He's clearly the worst hitter in the history of professional baseball and will never drive in another run if he lives to be 120 and faces Jakob Junis 5 times a night.

1 minute ago, angryhomer said:

I guess not.  Last I saw about Gattis was his homer in the 8th yesterday. Why the DFA?

because there is so much activity on this thread, eventually chatter becomes like a "meme", especially when it blows up in everyone's face in a good way.  e.g. when everyone shits on a player and says he needs to be released, then he starts balling out, so people continue saying it, even when they clearly don't mean it.  or when bregman is discussed as a possible trade chip when he first came up, and now that he's a crucial core piece, people keep mentioning him upping his trade value when he gets the game winning knock.

it's like a running gag in a sitcom.  and like those, they're often not very funny, but we put up with them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mbtex said:

Could McHugh be moved to closer. Sure seems to have high strikeout numbers this year in the pen.

i like to think i know this team inside and out, but i did not see this coming.  to me, when on, mchugh seemed like a soft contact guy who could bulldog his way to a k when he needed to.  but in this adjusted role, i think they said he had 10k in his last 4ip leading up to yesterday.  we're winning, so i would say don't change a thing, but i would definitely put him in the peacock grouping of guys you put in the 7th inning when you're leading, and don't take him out until you absolutely need to.

no reason he couldn't do what morty or mccullers did last postseason (although they generally have nastier stuff).  i think i like mchugh's mental makeup as much as anyone this side of verlander.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i like to think i know this team inside and out, but i did not see this coming.  to me, when on, mchugh seemed like a soft contact guy who could bulldog his way to a k when he needed to.  but in this adjusted role, i think they said he had 10k in his last 4ip leading up to yesterday.  we're winning, so i would say don't change a thing, but i would definitely put him in the peacock grouping of guys you put in the 7th inning when you're leading, and don't take him out until you absolutely need to.

no reason he couldn't do what morty or mccullers did last postseason (although they generally have nastier stuff).  i think i like mchugh's mental makeup as much as anyone this side of verlander.

i like the part where he had to wait most of the season last year to finally get his chance to plunk Gomez, and then plunked Gomez, then pretended like it was unintentional

Edit: I don't think anyone was fooled, not even the ump, but the ump wasn't about to give Gomez the satisfaction because fuck Gomez

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

I thought they should have been using him in that role in last year's playoffs.  This year I expect there will be very few playoff innings not thrown by Verlander, Cole, Morton, Keuchel, McCullers, Peacock, McHugh, and Devenski. 

Starters tend to see the k rate go up when they move to the bullpen and he's always had decent strikeout stuff.  He had 12 in his very first start for us in Seattle.

16 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Hooks set an attendance record tonight with Whitley on the mound. 10,446.
Whitley did not deliver however.
7 ER in 4.1
Walked 3, gave up a single in the 5th and left with the bases loaded
All 3 came in to score after he left

Whitley's in A Different World.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1