2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

i'm all for moving springer down in the lineup right now if i was sure it would get him out of his funk.  i don't think it would.  he'll work through it.  

15-2 streak and bring on the jays.  4.5 up on seattle.

happ scares me a little, since he's the type of lefty that does us in.  but we have jv going at least.

I ate my crow a few days ago about oso blanco. Now each time ive talked trash about george he got hot. So here it goes, he needs to be moved down. 3 for 38 and standing there watching the ball. He stinks. Package bregman and him tohether for sack of batting practice balls. 

• Like 1

I guess it’s just selective bias, but I think Brad Hand is one of the most overrated relievers out there today. He has great numbers but at least half the time I bother to watch the Padres he blows it. He would still be better than Giles but I wouldn’t give up any of our top prospects for a rental on him. 

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Where are the bitches on this thread who wanted to DFA Oso Blanco at the beginning of the season. Same idiots who wanted to bump Springer down before the start of the WS. Oso is my homeboy.

I still want to DFA Gattis. He didn’t come around until several of us put that narrative out there roughly a month into the season. So I’ll continue to advocate cutting the guy...at least until he stops hitting again. 

The same ploy might work with Springer. It sure did last October. I’m close to trying it.

Edited by Gut Wagon

4 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Where are the bitches on this thread who wanted to DFA Oso Blanco at the beginning of the season. Same idiots who wanted to bump Springer down before the start of the WS. Oso is my homeboy.

I was - posted about it right before he went on this tear. I came back on here and made fun of myself like two weeks ago. I will also point out that I bitched relentlessly about Marwin, though I never felt he should be DFA'd, just that he shouldn't have been playing every day and batting in the middle of the order. He's been really good since then too. 

I have never wanted Springer handled any differently than he has been. 

Oh, and I hate Giles unapologetically. I have pretty much since we acquired him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The reliever we should be looking at is Barraclough from MIA.  His numbers since May 1 are video game type stuff.

OpBA is something stupid like 0.082.  Hasn’t given up a hit in over 10 innings.

Would you trade McHugh for him?

50 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Hooks set an attendance record tonight with Whitley on the mound. 10,446.
Whitley did not deliver however.
7 ER in 4.1
Walked 3, gave up a single in the 5th and left with the bases loaded
All 3 came in to score after he left

Whitley will be fine once he gets his eyelids unjammed and is able to breathe through them properly.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

They're probably very glad to find themselves wrong about him, because when our players do well, our team plays well, and we win games, and everyone is happy then.

I wasn't one of them, nor was I going to be one of them, but I think the cause of almost all fan bitching is at its heart a desire to win. And yes, these kinds of posts (e.g. DFA'ing Gattis) are taking that desire and pointing it in the wrong direction, but I am much happier that Captain Caveman found his mojo hidden inside his beard again than I am about the possibility of saying "neener neener!" at the people who were kicking him when he was down.

• Like 2

Great win. El pina delivered. Just a thought, no root channel but listening to games on the radio the announcers sound good. Feed off each other and keep the silence to a minimum (had a conversation about a player wearing ladies perfume because of a hitting slump). It's just when I watch the highlights on YouTube, every homer the announcer only has one or two descriptive sentences. Sounds corny when I watch the highlights compressed ... This is all code for I miss Milo Hamilton. Go Astros!

I think I bitched about Gattis and I am happy to eat crow on that.  His figuring it out, surely factored in our win streak.  He seemed to be regressing a bit, so I was glad to see his HR today.

I won't deny the fact that I am a hater of all things Jake Marisnick (caveat, when he starts).  I just don't think he should ever be starting and that Kemp is superior to him except when it comes to throwing from the outfield.  Jake's a fine pinch runner and defensive sub, but Hinch just loves to stick Jake in there when it really isn't necessary.

Maybe we can get a day off for George or a Gattis-like beard though, as he is clearly struggling.

Man, I'd love to have Beltre on the roster heading into the 2018 postseason. Especially after we DFA Gattis. Similar to Beltran in more than just name. Of course, the Rangers don't want us to get him, I'm sure...and I'm equally sure I don't want to give up much for the rental. So I can't see it happening.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2018/06/23/source-rangers-make-adrian-beltre-two-relieversavailable-contenderson-mlb-trade-market

Edited by Gut Wagon