2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, huge said:

What are you clowns going to pivot to if Bregs or Altuve get injured?

Or Gattis sucks for a month.

Or Verl gives up 4 bombs in a game.

Actually I think I’m the problem. Carry on.

Gattis we know how to fix: just start up the DFA talk. At least, it’s worked before. Hope we never have to learn with Altuve or Bregman. As for JV, we just hope he’s in a (very brief) pre-fatherhood lull. He’s pitching for two now...or something like that. 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Britton might be had this year, as the Orioles have traded Machado. Want no part of Ramos and his penchant of grounding into double plays. Go get an OF bat.

The OF bat is on the club now. His name is Kyle Tucker. He'll come around. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So does anyone think we will make any trades or go with what we got?

I wouldn't expect anything major, maybe some minor pen moves. 

Only big move I could see would be Realmuto, but he'd cost a ton...maybe you could build a package around Alvarez, but I'm sure they'd want Whitley. I doubt this happens, but the C situation over the next couple years is nebulous, so it makes some sense...

as long as we don't give up much, i wouldn't be opposed to what we did last year - add a couple relievers comparable to what we've already got, then go with who you trust in oct.

our bullpen is good.  add 1-2 of our starters, and it's great, especially the way hinch will use them (likely without a defined 9th inning closing situation).  to add anyone who's an obvious upgrade will cost more than i'm willing to spend right now.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

as long as we don't give up much, i wouldn't be opposed to what we did last year - add a couple relievers comparable to what we've already got, then go with who you trust in oct.

our bullpen is good.  add 1-2 of our starters, and it's great, especially the way hinch will use them (likely without a defined 9th inning closing situation).  to add anyone who's an obvious upgrade will cost more than i'm willing to spend right now.

Yup

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I wouldn't expect anything major, maybe some minor pen moves. 

Only big move I could see would be Realmuto, but he'd cost a ton...maybe you could build a package around Alvarez, but I'm sure they'd want Whitley. I doubt this happens, but the C situation over the next couple years is nebulous, so it makes some sense...

Bregman to catcher? Just imagine what that would do to his trade value.   

49 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

That's where I am.

constellation can hold 7,500, with capabilities to hold up to 10,000. Not sure how they figure that - possible SRO. So, I think it's plenty big, I just don't think the Astros have much of an interest in keep a minor league team that close to their home base. Apparently when Skeeters first moved to SL, there was some sort of agreement in place between the them and the Astros, can't specify too much what that is. With new ownership at the Skeeters not sure what has become of that. 

i think round rock or CC will become the new AAA team, makes much more sense. and fuck the rangers. 

It’s after this year.
Nothing is/can be set until after the minor league season ends but common consensus is Round Rock would switch back to Houston

Yep. The Express is owned by the Ryans and Don Sanders who also own the Hooks. The Ranger’s AAA team will probably be in San Antonio. San Antonio’s AA team, the Missions, will move to Amarillo.

3 hours ago, ImGolfn said:

Has there ever been any thought of moving AAA from Fresno and putting it in Sugar Land.  I know SL is an independent league but is Constellation not big enough??

Well, 1st off, one the existing AAA franchises would have to be bought out or cease to exist. The Astros can't just say, hey next year we are going to play our games in Sugar Land.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Yep. The Express is owned by the Ryans and Don Sanders who also own the Hooks. The Ranger’s AAA team will probably be in San Antonio. San Antonio’s AA team, the Missions, will move to Amarillo.

Astros own the CC Hooks and the team in Ashville. Wouldn't be shocked if the Ryan's cash out and sell Round Rock.

I think it'll stay in Round Rock. Potential move would be to Woodlands / Conroe area, IMO. The Skeeters have a very  nice stadium in Sugar Land.

Edited by tx 3 putt

Stark ASG Useless Info
This was also the only game, in the history of baseball (over 216,000 games) to have 5 different players for each team hit HRs

• So if you’re reading that and thinking that no team had ever hit back-to-back homers in extra innings of any All-Star Game in history, hey, you’re catching on. So of course Alex Bregman and George Springer went deep on back-to-back pitches to kick off extras in this game.

• Of course they did. That was more extra-inning homers — just in a span of two pitches — than the American League had hit in all of the previous 88 All-Star Games combined. Right.

• But now here’s the best part. What do the two men who hit those back-to-back homers have in common? They’re Astros, of course. And here is where this gets totally epic.

• Did you know that two Astros have never kicked off extra innings with back-to-back homers in any regular-season game in the history of their franchise? That’s true. But …

• The Astros did go back-to-back to start the top of the 10th inning at Dodger Stadium in Game 2 of the World Series last year (courtesy of José Altuve and Carlos Correa). And no team had ever done that in the history of the World Series.

• Then they had two different Astros lead off extra innings in this All-Star Game — off (who else?) a pitcher for the Dodgers (Ross Stripling).

• So think about this. Just in the last nine months, they’ve now started off extra innings of both a World Series game and an All-Star Game with back-to-back home runs. But they’ve never done that in any regular-season game. And no other teammates, for any other franchise, have ever done it in a World Series or All-Star Game. That is madness.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

so what's going to be the move to replace white's spot on the roster ?

I don't know how they leave JD Davis down much longer.  He is blowing up at AAA.   .340 avg .931OPS 

Problem is where is the spot for him?  

Honestly he should get a shot over Marwin at this point, but that ain't gonna happen.  Until Correa comes back it should be Yuli/Davis at 1st/3rd and Bregman at SS.  Marwin shouldn't even see the field.  

St. Arnolds has a package for the Aug 28th (Tues) game

https://fareharbor.com/embeds/book/saintarnold/items/56721/availability/134424519/book/?full-items=yes

Brews & Baseball
Tuesday, August 28 at 5:00 PM

On Tuesday, August 28 for the Astros/A's game, we've got a special pregame happy hour and ticket package all set up for you. Because we know you love beer and baseball too.

For $70, our Brews & Baseball package gets you the following: 
  • Free parking at the brewery 
  • Pre-game happy hour at the brewery (starts at 5:00 PM) 
  • Shuttle ride from brewery to Minute Maid Park  
  • Game ticket in a section next to our bar in left field 
  • Concession credit for a hot dog and beer
  • Shuttle ride from Minute Maid Park back to brewery (after the game)

13 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

Yay or nay on a Jose Abreu trade?

These rumors puzzle me.  I mean, I wouldn't mind him in our lineup, but I can't imagine the cost will be worth it.  The only way it makes sense to me is if the Correa injury is worse than they are letting on, and the plan is Abreu at first, Yuli to 3rd, and Bregman to SS.  But if the lineup returns to normal, I don't think Abreu is enough of an upgrade over Yuli/Gattis to justify what it will cost to get him. 

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

I don't remember Yuli looking great at 3rd when he played there a few weeks ago, but he may just need some regular practice to get back in the feel of it.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

A third baseman makes more sense to me if Correa is out long term.

I agree with both, I'm just trying to find some sort of justification for the interest in Abreu.  It genuinely is strange to me.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

yeah, adding a 1b only seems to make sense if it gets another lefty bat in the middle of the lineup (although tucker figuring it out would also solve that) and that's not abreu.  i like abreu, but not sure where he fits if correa is healthy.  i really like what yuli is turning into.  his ceiling to me is .310 / 18hr / 110 rbi.  he just seems to have a knack for knocking guys in, and we need that in the middle of the order.