2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

To be fair, we were all asking questions about Springer before Game #2 of the WS.

The fuck? “We” weren’t all asking questions about Springer. You may have been. Utgrad and his ilk may have been. But most of the regulars on this thread were not.

Fudge Nuggets is clearly an Arlington Rangers troll. New board, Rangers are gonna suck ass for 4+ years.   So just make an account to troll the Astros.  To be fair, that seems way more enjoyable than watching the rangers and their players who forcibly jack off other dudes.

never forget nuggets, there is one World Series winner ever in Texas. The HOUSTON Astros. Eat a dick Arlington 

23 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Last year, as a club, the Astros struck out in 17% of their plate appearances, best in the league and a dramatic drop from 23% in 2016. So far we are at 25% in 2018. Will be interesting to see where that number settles. My guess is somewhere between the last two years. 

Marisnick, Fisher, and Davis are striking out in 43 percent of their plate appearances combined. Yuli taking their at bats will help dramatically. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

Marisnick, Fisher, and Davis are striking out in 43 percent of their plate appearances combined. Yuli taking their at bats will help dramatically. 

Good point.

I'll be interested to track Springer as well. His Ks were down last year (24% in '15 and '16; 18% last year) - interested to see if he can sustain the lower K rate. 

With Springer coming off that power display in the WS, and then jacking one on the first strike of the new season, I wouldn’t be surprised if he subconsciously started being a little too aggressive. He always has struck me as having decent plate discipline, but not really outstanding for a leadoff guy. Of course, I base none of this on analytics, just perception from watching him play. 

24 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Good point.

I'll be interested to track Springer as well. His Ks were down last year (24% in '15 and '16; 18% last year) - interested to see if he can sustain the lower K rate. 

Springer is streaky. He and Marwin haven't really gotten hot yet. That's the beautiful thing about our lineup though, it's so potent a few guys slumping never really hurts us. Somebody else is always hot. I'm not the least bit worried about our offense, I think most of them showed they can hit even the best pitching when it matters. That is just so rare. Reddick and Marwin were really the only two big time producers in our lineup who got somewhat shut down in the postseason. And even they had their big moments. I also feel like both of them faced so many dominant lefties in the playoffs it isn't really fair to hold it against them. They are here to mash right handed pitching and balance our lineup. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/well-deserved-mattress-mack-receives-astros-world-series-championship-ring

Well deserved -- 'Mattress Mack' receives Astros World Series Championship ring

HOUSTON - Houston's hero, Jim ' Mattress Mack' McIngvale received his very own Astros World Series Championship ring Friday, according to his daughter's Instagram story.

McIngvale was posing and smiling in the photo while wearing his first championship ring.

He's been called Harvey's hero for his charitable donations and efforts in Hurricane Harvey relief. In November, McIngvale gave customers $10 million worth of refunds on mattress purchases because of the Astros World Series win.

He also gave 20 lucky fans and 20 first responders tickets to Game 6 of the World Series in Los Angeles. McIngvale chartered a private jet for all the Astros fans who won tickets.

Edited by Smax

15 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

One of the reasons they moved Springer to leadoff was to encourage him to be more selective at the plate.

Thing is, he was better at making contact on pitches in the strike zone last year - by a lot. His contact rate at pitches in the zone were 73% in '15; 80% in '16; 86% (!) in '17. Not coincidentally, his Ks were down last year by quite a bit. 

Too early to tell anything this year, but he's currently right back around 80%. 

At the end of April last year, Carlos Correa was just hitting .233 with a slugging percentage of .349 and an OPS of .658.

And he already had 250 games and 1000 AB's of experience.

Fisher had 50 games and 150 AB's last year.

It will take some time to figure out how good Fisher will be.

5 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Last year, as a club, the Astros struck out in 17% of their plate appearances, best in the league and a dramatic drop from 23% in 2016. So far we are at 25% in 2018. Will be interesting to see where that number settles. My guess is somewhere between the last two years. 

Careful, you will get called an Arlington fan for pointing out things like this.

Who is going to the game today? If you've got tickets, I may have 2 insanely good seats you can sit in for a free upgrade. They don't want to use the tickets, so I can't give that part away, they get credit for tickets they don't use and get extra tickets later, but the seats will probably be empty. PM me and I'll let you know if they'll be open. They are big donor seats, so behave at least somewhat and make sure you don't get me in trouble. 

Edited by Pods
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Thing is, he was better at making contact on pitches in the strike zone last year - by a lot. His contact rate at pitches in the zone were 73% in '15; 80% in '16; 86% (!) in '17. Not coincidentally, his Ks were down last year by quite a bit. 

Too early to tell anything this year, but he's currently right back around 80%. 

Its still early.  We were 4-4 to start last year and weren't setting the world on fire against the ultimately middling Mariners and Royals.  They're probably a little hungover from winning the WS too.  They'll settle down.  

Edited by FondrenRoad