Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

I don't get it.  Mark Judge's former girlfriend has separately confirmed that he confessed to the same exact behavior Swetnick has described.   Seems credible enough to warrant a few interviews to look into whether Kavanaugh was part of it. 

Yeah, odd they wouldn’t investigate the most damning allegations with the most witnesses.  It’s almost like they know he’s guilty as fuck.

https://www.axios.com/kavanaugh-vote-2018-midterms-poll-3db8f6c6-c637-41a8-bbc5-a27bbad3abc3.html

A majority of people wouldn’t vote to re-elect their senators if they vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh, according to a new Change Research poll. 

By the numbers: After the hearings, 51% of people said they are less likely re-elect their senators. And people found Dr. Christine Blasey Ford more believable (50%) and credible (48%) than Kavanaugh (44% for both.) 50% of people said they will view the Supreme Court as less credible if the Senate confirms Kavanaugh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Maybe bring up his finances during the original hearing?  Maybe ask him during the last hearing about her polygraph, since you know, he made numerous judicial rulings about how valuable they are.  Things like that.

Dude has major holes in his finances and they're asking him about his high school yearbook.

The Dems on SJC also gave detailed written questions to Brett to respond to, which he evidently did, and they included his financial and gambling history.  With the power to direct investigation and subpoenas after potentially claiming a chamber of Congress, they would have those written responses to examine for perjury in addition to the obvious lies he told to the American public on Thursday.

Kavanaugh lied under oath about Judge's statement being under oath.

Kavanaugh lied under oath about getting into Yale on his own. He was a legacy.

Impeachment investigations should begin the day this fucking idiot is sworn in to the SC.

And these are unforced errors. No one asked him about either of those. He offered both of those lies (and many others) under oath just because he wanted to tell them.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, odd they wouldn’t investigate the most damning allegations with the most witnesses.  It’s almost like they know he’s guilty as fuck.

The point of the investigation is to exonerate him of the allegations not find evidence.  The WH can’t ask the fbi to ignore evidence so they are pointing them in the direction to not find any.   The Ramirez Yale story could potentially bring up new info but I think the ford story will end up inconclusive. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The point of the investigation is to exonerate him of the allegations not find evidence.  The WH can’t ask the fbi to ignore evidence so they are pointing them in the direction to not find any.   The Ramirez Yale story could potentially bring up new info but I think the ford story will end up inconclusive. 

The linchpin is Mark Judge and his ex-girlfriend who he confided to about the high school gang trains.  It appears both will be interviewed the feds.  Talk to his ex-girlfriend first, then present informed questions to Judge.

Not sure if this was previously covered but was it ever explained how Dr. Ford was able to fabricate an elaborate story implicating BK, which just happen to mention 3 people that BK’s calendar subsequently shows he frequently attended parties with, and yet BK denies ever meeting Dr. Ford or being at a party with her?

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Not sure if this was previously covered but was it ever explained how Dr. Ford was able to fabricate an elaborate story implicating BK, which just happen to mention 3 people that BK’s calendar subsequently shows he frequently attended parties with, and yet BK denies ever meeting Dr. Ford or being at a party with her?

He doesn’t deny ever meeting her. 

In fact says he may of.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kavanaugh-doesnt-remember-christine-ford-supreme-court-2018-9

• "I may have met her," Kavanaugh said. "We did not travel in the same social circles."
Edited by Incredulity

5 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Liberal satan magic?

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Not just that, but the woman who allegedly drove Dr. Ford from the party says she never even met Kavanaugh.

This is an excellent article, called My Rapist Apologized. Full text below (via The Atlantic).

Spoiler

My Rapist Apologized

The Kavanaugh allegations led me to reach out to the man who had assaulted me decades before.

On Friday morning, President Donald Trump tweeted that he has “no doubt that, if the attack on Dr. Ford was as bad as she says, charges would have been immediately filed with local Law Enforcement Authorities by either her or her loving parents.”

Let me tell you what life was like as a girl in Montgomery County, Maryland, in the early 1980s. I am a year older than Christine Blasey Ford and a year younger than Brett Kavanaugh. I grew up in Potomac, Maryland, a few miles from both Holton Arms, Ford’s school, and Georgetown Prep, which Kavanaugh attended, but I went to my local public high school, Churchill. Never mind that any girl who was in high school in Potomac during that era knew, through the whisper network, not to go to a Georgetown Prep party alone. That was a given. What was also a given is that “date rape,” as a term, was in its infancy. Most of us thought getting our bodies groped at a high-school party—or anywhere—was the unfortunate price we paid for having them, not something we would ever go to the police to report.

Even in junior high school, this was true. I have a vivid memory of my friend Marcia having her skirt ripped off her body in the middle of a bar mitzvah dance floor. It had snaps down the middle. I actually heard one boy say, as she was weeping in a corner, trying to refasten her skirt, “I mean, duh. If you’re going to wear snaps on your skirt, what do you think will happen?” I made a mental note: Never wear snaps to a dance party.

Luckily, I survived high school without getting more than ickily groped now and then, but my luck ran out in college. I fell victim to a number of random assaults by strangers, including two robberies at gunpoint, all of which then became fodder for my senior thesis, but I wasn’t actually date raped until the night before my graduation, in June of 1988. Or maybe it was May. I don’t actually remember which month I graduated from college, because it was so long ago, but that does not negate what I do remember—both the rape itself, and what happened in its aftermath. I woke up, put on my cap and gown, and fetched my diploma to the notes of “Pomp and Circumstance” in front of my unsuspecting parents, just like everyone else in my class. Afterward, I posed for photos with my parents and smiled. Then, between our photo session and lunch, I excused myself to take care of what I said was an administrative issue and went straight to University Health Services to report the rape.

I was told by the intake psychologist that I had two choices: I could report the rape to the police; stay in the Boston area for several months, to deal with the trial; hire lawyers to help me through it with money I did not have; and put off beginning my life in Paris, where I’d planned to move for work, while awaiting my turn on the witness stand, where my prior sex life would be put on trial, more than the boy who raped me. Or I could stay silent.

At lunch that day, did I tell my loving parents that I’d been raped the night before? Of course not. That boy had already stolen a valuable piece of my soul. I was not going to allow him to steal my graduation day from us, too. I’d worked hard to reach that day. So had my parents. This was our day, not his.

In fact, I never actually told my parents to their faces. Instead, 13 years after the rape in question, I sent them the manuscript for my first memoir, in which I described the rape, for the first time, in detail, making sure to put an ocean between us while they read. I didn’t want to see the pained expression on my dad’s face or hear my mother crying until they’d had enough time to process it. Several notable critics of the book, after it was published, took it upon themselves either to blame me for my assaults or to ask if I was worried I’d get called a slut.

The fact that Ford did not call the police or tell her loving parents after she escaped this young man’s scary clutches has no bearing on the truth of her story. Plus, let’s keep in mind: She was 15 years old. She couldn’t even drive herself home. That’s one of the images that haunts me—young Chrissy Blasey walking out of that house and facing the rest of her post-traumatic life, on foot.

But there has been an upside to the Kavanaugh circus and Trump’s presidency. For one, it has galvanized women and the men who love us. For another, like so many rape survivors in this country living through this particular moment in history, having to relive our assaults daily—even hourly—with every new allegation of rape, I have been so brought to my knees by this latest allegation that I, too, was inspired to speak out.

Directly. To my rapist.

I wrote him a letter, 30 years after the night in question, reminding him of what he’d done and how hard it has been to overcome.

And do you know what this man did, less than half an hour later? He called me on the phone and said, “Oh, Deb. Oh my god. I’m so sorry. I had no idea. I’m filled with shame.”

We spoke for a long time, maybe 20 minutes. He had no recollection of raping me, just of the party where we’d met. He’d blacked out that night from excessive drinking and soon thereafter entered Alcoholics Anonymous. But that, he said, was no excuse. The fact that he’d done this to me and that I’d been living with the resulting trauma for 30 years was horrifying to him. He was so sorry, he said. He just kept repeating those words, “I’m so sorry,” over and over.

Suddenly, 30 years of pain and grief fell out of me. I cried. And I cried. And I kept crying for the next several hours, as I prepared for Yom Kippur, the Jewish holiday of forgiveness. And then, suddenly, I was cleansed. Reborn. The trauma was gone. All because of a belated apology.

My rapist promised to pay it forward, this horrible thing he’d just learned about himself. I have no doubt, judging by the admirable life he’s led, he will. And I will keep my promise to him never to reveal his name.

But you know what? If he were being confirmed for the Supreme Court; if his decision over what would happen to my daughter’s body, should she become inadvertently pregnant, would tip the scales away from Roe; if one of the key aspects of his job as a judge would be to show and to have shown good judgment over the course of his life, you better believe that I, like Ford, would come forward and tell the committee. Even if it meant going into hiding, as she’s had to do. Even if it meant getting death threats, as she’s received.

The life of my daughter is at stake. Her bodily autonomy is at stake. As a mother who grew up being groped at house parties in the ’80s, I want to make sure that whoever is passing judgment on the next generation has, at the very least, judgment to pass.

Edited by austingirl
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

The explanation is that November is coming. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

He doesn’t deny ever meeting her. 

In fact says he may of.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kavanaugh-doesnt-remember-christine-ford-supreme-court-2018-9

• "I may have met her," Kavanaugh said. "We did not travel in the same social circles."

So they did not travel in the same social circles, nor was he at a party with her, yet her fabricated memory included 3 people his personal calendar, which she had no knowledge of, shows he frequently partied with.  Do i have that correct?

Just now, Horn Dog said:

So they did not travel in the same social circles, nor was he at a party with her, yet her fabricated memory included 3 people his personal calendar, which she had no knowledge of, shows he frequently partied with.  Do i have that correct?

Not sure.

I am only offering feedback on what I understand to be incorrect from your post.

IMPO there has been very little analysis or debate about exactly how familiar they were with each other in this timeframe. I haven’t heard any rebuttal to his claim that they were not close.  

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Not sure.

I am only offering feedback on what I understand to be incorrect from your post.

IMPO there has been very little analysis or debate about exactly how familiar they were with each other in this timeframe. I haven’t heard any rebuttal to his claim that they were not close.  

I appreciate your input.  I just find that she mentions those 3 people, and his calendar mentioning those same 3 to be one hell of a coincidence.  Also, didn’t Dr. Ford say she was dating one of his friends?  

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Not sure.

If I grab a bitch from the bar, shove her out the back door, and try to rape her in the alley, we wouldn’t be familiar with each other.

If Kavanaugh gets nominated and confirmed, that will be the death nell of John Marshall’s power grab in marbury v. Madison. The constitution does not give the court the power to strike down laws. Marshall said they did and for 200 years for whatever reason we’ve tolerated that. If a shithead like cavanaugh gets on the court, that shit ends because no one will respect it anymore.

hell maybe that’s a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

There shouldn't be a difference. How can the FBI conduct a legitimate background check if the President and his comrades tell the FBI what they can and can't do? 

The FBI is conducting the investigation at the WH “request”

Here’s a thread on what this should mean:

16 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I appreciate your input.  I just find that she mentions those 3 people, and his calendar mentioning those same 3 to be one hell of a coincidence.  Also, didn’t Dr. Ford say she was dating one of his friends?  

Whether Kavanaugh and
Blasey Knew Each Other
STATEMENT FROM BLASEY
During my freshman and sophomore school years, when I was 14 and 15 years old, my group of friends intersected with Brett and his friends.

STATEMENT FROM KAVANAUGH
She and I did not travel in the same social circles. It is possible that we met at some point at some events, although I do not recall that.

Judge Kavanaugh said he did not know Dr. Blasey, but Dr. Blasey said she went out with one of his good friends and attended four or five parties where Judge Kavanaugh was present.

Chris Garrett

Dr. Blasey revealed during questioning Thursday that she “went out with” Mr. Garrett, known to his friends as “Squi,” for a few months, and that he was her primary connection to Judge Kavanaugh. Mr. Garrett, who appears nearly a dozen times on Judge Kavanaugh’s summer calendar, has not made any public comments.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/09/28/us/politics/kavanaugh-ford-testimony-investigation.html

The saddest part of this whole thing is how much Trump has normalized lying.  It shouldn't matter what the FBI "investigation" does or doesn't find. 

He has literally been lying his ass off in his sworn testimony before the Senate.  You'd think that would be frowned upon during a SCOTUS appointee's job interview.

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The saddest part of this whole thing is how much Trump has normalized lying.  It shouldn't matter what the FBI "investigation" does or doesn't find. 

He has literally been lying his ass off in his sworn testimony before the Senate.  You'd think that would be frowned upon during a SCOTUS appointee's job interview.

Are you 16?  Trump definitely lies, but the truth has been optional in DC forever.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

And where the hell is Avenatti? He needs to bring it tout fucking suite.

As someone who'd like to see Kavanaugh confirmed, I think the more of Avenatti we see the better.  And the more we hear from Ms Swetnick the better.

Oh.  I'd also like to hear more from Sheldon's boy in Rhode Island.

Edited by MixtyMotions

I think he's had a superior record as a judge.  I think he's smart.

Like Senator Sasse I don't think a judge's job is policy.  I think he has tried to interpret law, and has done an excellent job of it.  I don't think he is an ideologue.

I think he's the best choice for Dems from the "List".

I am reminded of Scalia's request to Obama.  He said that he wanted somebody smart.  He knew that he was going to get a Lefty.  So  he wanted a smart, intellectually honest Lefty.  He said he wanted Elerna Kagan.  We want Kagans and Kavanaughs, not Thomases and Sotomayors.