Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

The deadline itself is an arbitrary date. There is no process or legislative requirement to confirm kavanaugh this month. Their desire to confirm him ASAP is not arbitrary, and is partially outlined by my previous post. 

This is a 30 year old wrong that was brought up AFTER the confirmation hearings.

Some of this is on her, and the hearings already happened.  

I don't deny its political, but to me the reason this was not investigated was because of her.  It's chess, but it's her move, and not testifying is a terribly wrong move. 

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is from a 60 Minutes interview in the 80s and the way you’re framing it is misleading. he didn’t have a fucking choice.  What was he supposed to regret?  Not getting himself murdered by Nazis? 

Hugo, I don't remember him being on 60 minutes but I disagree. He may not have has a choice but that doesn't mean that he couldn't regret what he did. 

• Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Hugo, I don't remember him being on 60 minutes but I disagree. He may not have has a choice but that doesn't mean that he couldn't regret what he did. 

I already posted the transcript in this very thread.  It does not say what you say it does.  Not even close.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, realgreggym said:

Again, I didn't know anything about the 60 minutes interview. Thats not where I heard this crap about him. Believe what you want.

Well, I'm not going to link an Alex Jones podcast, so I guess we are done here.

This interview is the origination of all of the popular Soros/Nazi conspiracy theories.  Period.  The fact that your "news source" simply misrepresented the interview is not our problem.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Jimmy, he said that years ago. I am not going to spend time looking it up. If its important to you, go look for yourself. I am not going to get into it on this board but there have been a number of things that he has said and done over the years that backs up his hatred of Jews.i

Here, I'll help you.  Took me all of about 5 minutes just googling exactly what you said in the post I just negged.

Fact-checking Soros as Nazi sympathizer

Edited by DDD Dad

I feel that most the GOP senators could care less about Kavanaugh.  Their main focus is getting a conservative justice on the bench.  If they see that Kavanaugh causes problems for them politically or that a delayed process could risk their chance to confirm a conservative to the supreme court, Kavanaugh is done.  
It's not like Kavanaugh is anything special that dozens of other candidates couldn't fit the bill.

This is what I don’t get. They’re have been questions about Kavanaugh from the beginning. Why are they holding on so tight to him? Why not cut him loose and pick another conservative judge? There is plenty of them and hopefully some of them haven’t lied under oath or possibly assaulted anyone.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Well, I'm not going to link an Alex Jones podcast, so I guess we are done here.

This interview is the origination of all of the popular Soros/Nazi conspiracy theories.  Period.  The fact that your "news source" simply misrepresented the interview is not our problem.

From my cursory research, it appears that Alex Jones, Dinesh, Ann Coulter, Cernovich, etc. took portions of that 60 min clip and spun it into their own truths. And the realgreggyms of the world took it as gospel and retread it for year on message boards like truths. We go from that clip to "Soros helped find and gas Jews". 

Serious question realgreggym. When you realize that these things your've thought were truths turn out to be false, does it make you feel stupid, like even a little bit? 

No, you're being intentionally obtuse in saying " that wasn’t her only consideration", making it sound like she's being unreasonable, when she's receiving death threats and getting doxxed and all of conservative media is painting her as some political zealot. It's not like people's homes have been burned down when credibly accusing prominent GOP politicians or anything right? 
I'm not being argumentative, it's that I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt when you consistently make misleading statements about a woman who faced sexual assault. 

Do we have proof of these death threats? What does anyone know about this woman? Give me something so I can understand why the left trust her every word.
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Stros said:

Do we have proof of these death threats? What does anyone know about this woman? Give me something so I can understand why the left trust her every word.

Well, she reported them to the FBI.  I'm going to assume they would charge her for making a false report if she made them up out of whole cloth.

But you go on being you.

Oh, and by the way, Stros' post is what is known as concern/question trolling, in case you were wondering, IT.

Edited by DDD Dad

1 minute ago, sachick said:

This is what I don’t get. They’re have been questions about Kavanaugh from the beginning. Why are they holding on so tight to him? Why not cut him loose and pick another conservative judge? There is plenty of them and hopefully some of them haven’t lied under oath or possibly assaulted anyone.

They don't want to run the chance (20% I'd guess) that the D's take the Senate. If they can't get Kavanagh in right now and the Senate flips, it will be a shit show of epic proportions to try to get somebody in there prior to January, and if they can't then that seat will remain vacant until 2021. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:26 PM, realgreggym said:

I can say the same about Ford, she is a far left wing anti Trumper that has marched against him, signed documents against and protests against him at every opportunity.  She has provided no proof. All she did was write a letter. This is nothing more than her attempt to get at him. 

28 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Jimmy, he said that years ago. I am not going to spend time looking it up. If its important to you, go look for yourself. I am not going to get into it on this board but there have been a number of things that he has said and done over the years that backs up his hatred of Jews.i

I also can't be the only person who chuckled at realgreggym's differing burden of proof standards between himself and Dr. Ford.

• Like 1

Ok. so i waded through the last 6 pages or so to see if this viewpoint had been posted.  Maybe it was posted and I missed it, so SIAP.

I think it's a good one and deserves to be considered when we are trying to decide if someone is up to the task of Supreme Court Justice.  

My core issue with Judge Kavanaugh goes far deeper than the accusations of drunken sexual violence; as terrible as that is, both he and Dr. Ford are entitled to the presumption of innocence prior to a fair hearing.

So, let’s assume for the moment that he has no memory of the incident and therefore sees himself as innocent. Fair. That being the case, he has options. 2/

Why on earth would his first instinct be to lawyer up, run to the security of the White House for hours long interrogation practice sessions, and allow people IN HIS DEFENSE to viciously smear, attack, and threaten Dr. Ford to the degree that she actually has to flee her home 3/

to protect her family? Is this the behavior we expect in a Supreme Court Justice? Why not simply ask that the pace slow down so that his innocence could be proven, while demanding of his supporters that the temperature cool in deference to her safety? 4/

Why not show some kind of recognition of the value of her evidence and the personal impact it obviates, situationally something he’s surely encountered as a judge before and undoubtedly will if confirmed? 5/

Why not, as a decent, innocent, competent, fair-minded adult, ask that she be protected and the claim fully investigated? The outcome of the investigation is obviously important, but pales in comparison to the judgment of the man TODAY. 6/

Consider the accusation as a test of judicial temperament; does Judge Kavanaugh pass that test? I don’t think he does. Instead of the wise, decent, Solomonic jurist we all need on the bench, he emerges as little more than a dismissive, partisan Bro, running to cover 7/

his potential culpability under the protection of a White House that habitually coddles sexual predators and a GOP machine determined to install him on the highest court at all costs. 8/

It stains his party permanently, and diminishes himself needlessly, all before an airing of evidence. Not a good look. We all deserve better. /end

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Stros said:

Maybe because there hasn’t been a credible reason not to trust her.  She is asking the FBI to investigate HER.  That doesn’t mean she’s telling the truth but it’s a strong indication she’s not full of shit. 

Moreover, the White House, who we can say with certitude has a huge credibility problem, doesn’t want this investigated.  There is no reason not to investigate her allegations. 

Unless you can come up with one?

Well, she reported them to the FBI.  I'm going to assume they would charge her for making a false report if she made them up out of whole cloth.
But you go on being you.
Oh, and by the way, Stros' post is what is known as concern/question trolling, in case you were wondering, IT.

People keep telling me the building is on fire, but I can’t see the fire.

Just now, sachick said:

For Republicans, I think the issue relates to SC being back in session October 1.  Also, the longer this draws out, regardless of whether he's confirmed or not, I think it gets it closer to this being an issue in the midterms and he's a historically unpopular nominee.  Do it now, rip the bandaid off, and let the dust settle for midterms.

For Trump, it's Kavanaugh's broad view of executive power and immunity as the issues of president being subject to a subpoena and pardon power with corrupt intent will likely come before the court.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The smart political move would be to cut him loose, make him a martyr, and campaign on it for the midterms.

I can't understand why they're lining up behind this guy.

Trump.  

He can’t afford to let Kavanaugh go for several reasons (Mueller, executive power) but the primary one is it would be perceived as a defeat in Trump’s mind.  He is all powerful and if his appointee is pulled, it undermines his authority and displays weakness.  

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump.  

He can’t afford to let Kavanaugh go for several reasons (Mueller, executive power) but the primary one is it would be perceived as a defeat in Trump’s mind.  He is all powerful and if his appointee is pulled, it undermines his authority and displays weakness.  

One of these days the GOP is going to realize hitching their wagon to Donald Trump is hurting them.

I hope that's a long time from now.

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I am thinking Kennedy retired on the condition that Kavanaugh would replace him like it was rumored.  He's not worth all these headaches for any other reason.

The initial scuttlebutt was that Kennedy agreed to resign on the condition (set by Kennedy) that BK would be his replacement.

I get the sense that Trump affiliates seeking a firewall for Trump et al ID'd BK as the SCOTUS firewall for Trump, as opposed to Kennedy timing his resignation and picking his replacement. 

So what could induce Kennedy to resign with specifics ?  Perhaps protecting his son from some threat. Kennedy's son spent more than a decade at Deutsche Bank, and gave a billion dollar loan to Trump when no one would give him a dime.  DB has also been nailed in the last 24 mo. for illegally laundering Russian rubles.  In this scenario, it would be a win/win for Trump and the these Kennedy's.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Ok. so i waded through the last 6 pages or so to see if this viewpoint had been posted.  Maybe it was posted and I missed it, so SIAP.

I think it's a good one and deserves to be considered when we are trying to decide if someone is up to the task of Supreme Court Justice.  

My core issue with Judge Kavanaugh goes far deeper than the accusations of drunken sexual violence; as terrible as that is, both he and Dr. Ford are entitled to the presumption of innocence prior to a fair hearing.

So, let’s assume for the moment that he has no memory of the incident and therefore sees himself as innocent. Fair. That being the case, he has options. 2/

Why on earth would his first instinct be to lawyer up, run to the security of the White House for hours long interrogation practice sessions, and allow people IN HIS DEFENSE to viciously smear, attack, and threaten Dr. Ford to the degree that she actually has to flee her home 3/

to protect her family? Is this the behavior we expect in a Supreme Court Justice? Why not simply ask that the pace slow down so that his innocence could be proven, while demanding of his supporters that the temperature cool in deference to her safety? 4/

Why not show some kind of recognition of the value of her evidence and the personal impact it obviates, situationally something he’s surely encountered as a judge before and undoubtedly will if confirmed? 5/

Why not, as a decent, innocent, competent, fair-minded adult, ask that she be protected and the claim fully investigated? The outcome of the investigation is obviously important, but pales in comparison to the judgment of the man TODAY. 6/

Consider the accusation as a test of judicial temperament; does Judge Kavanaugh pass that test? I don’t think he does. Instead of the wise, decent, Solomonic jurist we all need on the bench, he emerges as little more than a dismissive, partisan Bro, running to cover 7/

his potential culpability under the protection of a White House that habitually coddles sexual predators and a GOP machine determined to install him on the highest court at all costs. 8/

It stains his party permanently, and diminishes himself needlessly, all before an airing of evidence. Not a good look. We all deserve better. /end

Yes, if I’m him and I categorically deny this accusation I’d for sure go looking to make the life of my accuser easier. I would sure want to give credence to an accusation that I think is either mistaken or made up. I give him lots of credit for biting his tongue and not lashing out at her. What a dirtbag claim that Kavanaugh is somehow responsible for or directing the nutjobs issuing death threats. He should allow aspersions to be cast against him to stick. He is such a bastard for not doing so,

• Fuck You 1

Maybe because there hasn’t been a credible reason not to trust her.  She is asking the FBI to investigate HER.  That doesn’t mean she’s telling the truth but it’s a strong indication she’s not full of shit. 
Moreover, the White House, who we can say with certitude has a huge credibility problem, doesn’t want this investigated.  There is no reason not to investigate her allegations. 
Unless you can come up with one?

I want them to get to the bottom of it.
My problem is that everyone that is anti-trump believes everything that has come out of someone’s mouth without vetting who they are, and what actually happened.

If it’s he said she said it will be really fucked up and that’s what the left wants. Because the accuser is the only person who remembers the assault 36 years ago at a keg party while being drunk.

• Fuck You 2