Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

He is not entitled to anything in the confirmation process.  

Exactly.  Art Biles is not entitled to a lifetime appointment as Texas head coach even though accusations against him can not be DNA proven.  There is smoke, lots of smoke.  You pass on this candidate and consider the next.  This is NOT a criminal trial.

Just now, sachick said:

200.gif

As another poster mentioned, women, thankfully, are not a united bloc politically. Lots of women think poorly of the accuser, probably in much worse terms than even myself. For every self-righteous one, there is a woman who identifies with Kavanaugh as being falsely accused as a result of a male in their life who has gone through something similar. Other women know this is a DemocRAT dirty trick and don’t buy it. Add those women to white men and you have the winning Republican coalition that exists.

• Fuck You 10

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Know how I know you're a white nationalist?

Citing demographic reality and what comprises the Republican coalition makes me a white nationalist? Interesting conclusion. Didn’t the Quinnipiac poll on Beto vs. Cruz say the same that the Republican candidate is overwhelmingly supported by white men?

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

I know a lot of white men.  The number who support anything this administration does is down to the following: olds, racists, religious freaks.  I can only think of two people I know who support Trump without falling into one of those categories.  The first one is a republican political operative who I sense isn't crazy about Trump, but party over country.  The other I have no explanation for. 

15 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

As another poster mentioned, women, thankfully, are not a united bloc politically. Lots of women think poorly of the accuser, probably in much worse terms than even myself. For every self-righteous one, there is a woman who identifies with Kavanaugh as being falsely accused as a result of a male in their life who has gone through something similar. Other women know this is a DemocRAT dirty trick and don’t buy it. Add those women to white men and you have the winning Republican coalition that exists.

It's good to see you haven't prejudged this matter and are keeping an open mind.

17 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

It's not 2016. That coalition is falling apart thanks to Donald Trump.

21 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Soms girl got date raped in high school, that must mean that this coward’s story about Kavanaugh is true!!! According to the esteemed Senator from Hawaii all of us men are collectively guilty. 

Democratic Sen. Mazie Hirono blasted “the men in this country,” blaming them for sexual assault and urged them to “just shut up and step up” amid allegations of misconduct against President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh.

The Democrats don’t realize they are stoking a huge backlash by the dominant players in American society, white men, who are going to show their disgust with this farce in the voting booth

From @TDeLynne

I’m so angry I’m crying. I’m tired of hearing that memories are fuzzy after 36 years. Maybe the perpetrators are. Because it’s habit. Just one more woman, girl that a man or boy has assaulted whether verbally or physically. It wouldn’t stick in his mind. Just one more. 

36 years. For me it wasn’t just one more. 43 years ago I was 4. It was a defining moment in my life. I remember the yellow Easter dress with frogs on it. I remember the metal snow disc with the orange plastic handles. I remember the space behind the furnace. I remember the words. “This is what ppl do when they love each other.” “This is going to hurt a little.” I remember the hand over my mouth as I screamed. I remember my dress with coal dust on it and getting yelled at for getting myself dirty when we still had 2 houses to go to yet. I remember later, when his brother started hurting me. I remember the returnable glass pop bottles and the brutality. I remember being held down while he left his dog sniff me and growl. I remember being so afraid at 6 years old and trying to tell my mom later why I was red there and not having the fucking words. I remember watching the person who raped me, attack his own sister. I remember her dragging me under the high metal bed to “make each other feel good.” I remember Barbie dolls who regularly had sex with Ken. I remember the way other people looked at me, people who could tell I was ripe to be hurt. I remember them taking advantage of my silence to hurt me also. I remember being held on top at 10, 11, and finally 12 by the 3rd brother, out of 4 boys and 3 girl cousins. 4 of 7 hurt me. I remember having my 2nd period and then none. I remember not knowing what to do or who to go to or even that it was possible to not have this thing growing in me through no fault of my own. I remember fear. And shame. And being alone with a dr and 2 nurses. I remember the dr telling me he didn’t want to see me again for this reason and that I should behave. I remember at 16, not being able to say a word as a gun was held to my head and I was asked what I’d do to save my life as they took turns going out of the kitchen at the pizza shop to feed a fat cop a free meal. I remember after that cutting my wrists and bleeding throughout my school, bc I didn’t know how to live remembering. I remember at 28, sitting in a car on a back road, with 60 muscle relaxers coursing through my system. I remember feeling peace thinking it would be over.

I remember the days in ICU, the week in the hospital, the relationships I ruined bc I wanted to hurt someone. The money problems, the drug issues, the drinking and allowing abusers into my life bc it was all I knew. I remember not knowing my worth bc I never had any. I remember telling, and nobody believed that it could happen once, twice, 100 times or that it could continue with different assailants. I should’ve been smarter, stronger. I should’ve told. I should’ve fought. I should’ve, should’ve, should’ve. Because it’s always the same.  It’s always he said/she said. And it’s never he said/she said. It’s always she said but he remembers. It’s always, there’s been too much time passed. It’s always, she led a bad life, memories are subjective, foggy, or outright lies. It’s always, but you were 4. It’s been 35, 40, 43 years. Why now? Why not before? Why are you doing this to him? It’s always he said/she said. Not he said/ she remembers. Why should he remember? Why should any of them? They don’t have to. But I remember a little yellow dress, 3T, an Easter dress with green frogs.

In my nightmares, I wear it still.

22 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You are completely talking out of your ass. How the fuck do you know what women think?

35 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

He is not entitled to anything in the confirmation process.  

She is demanding an FBI investigation. This is most certainly a criminal matter. And he is in fact entitled due process including the presumption of innocence. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

She is demanding an FBI investigation. This is most certainly a criminal matter. And he is in fact entitled due process including the presumption of innocence. 

She is not demanding an FBI criminal investigation. She wants them to do a background investigation before she appears before the committee.

This is not a criminal matter.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They are negotiating terms for her testimony.

I expect we'll all hear from Dr. Ford soon.

Yes I understand, but it still reminds me of this movie scene:

El Guapo: You cannot force open the petals of a flower. When the flower  is ready, it opens itself up to you.

Jefe: So when do you think Carmen will open up her flower to you? 

El Guapo: Tonight, or I will kill her!

7 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Bold GOP move when dealing with a attempted rape victim-    Do as we say, as we say to do it, or we will ram our member through despite any objection!

That was a very respectful letter. The attorney should have the professionally courtesy to respond to their requests rather than ignore them. 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

She is not demanding an FBI criminal investigation. She wants them to do a background investigation before she appears before the committee.

This is not a criminal matter.

So it's a political matter? A rape allegation? 

Just now, Horn Dog said:

Yes I understand, but it still reminds me of this movie scene:

El Guapo: You cannot force open the petals of a flower. When the flower  is ready, it opens itself up to you.

Jefe: So when do you think Carmen will open up her flower to you? 

El Guapo: Tonight, or I will kill her!

The fact that Grassley had to agree to hear her at all shows that Dr. Ford is in a good position to dictate terms.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

In the case of confirming Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, yes. 

If Maryland authorities want to open a criminal investigation, they can do so.

I am not sure it's the FBI's role to resolve a political issue. To me this is a criminal issue that needs to be investigated and resolved. 

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Now it's a negotiation. 

Interesting ending to the letter.  You have by Friday at 10AM or there will be no hearing Monday.  

Dr. Ford should ignore Grassley and go on 60 Minutes Sunday night. 

Then show up at the Senate ready to testify under oath Monday morning.

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

I talked to him yesterday, he was banned twice. 

He was banned for posting 

"Go stick up a dick up your ass faggot"

and 

"Im sure your parents are real proud of you ending the family lineage by deciding to play with other guys dicks for fun. What an accomplishment. Enjoy being a genetic dead end while you bite pillows for all the guys plowing you."

Go figure, right?

some of yall must be related to kavanaugh, you are taking this so personally. 

it's almost like you are deathly afraid that some delay or investigation or prolonged hearings will result in turnabout being fair play when it comes to stone-walling supreme court candidates. i wonder if you realized back when you were cheering it that the shoe could somehow be on the other foot.

i'm sorry your guy is accused of attempted rape. but at some point, your humanity should win out over your partisanship. 

to say she's refusing to tell her story is frankly bullshit. she's asked to talk with the fbi as part of an investigation into this guy's background, which means, if caught lying, she's going to federal penitentiary. 

the republicans DO NOT WANT an fbi investigation into this allegation. they want to ramrod this guy through.

why?

it's real simple to me.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Hey Rumpelstiltskin, you might want to grab a coffee and read a newspaper or two.  It's pretty clear you've been fast asleep for a long time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i wonder if you realized back when you were cheering it that the shoe could somehow be on the other foot.

Exactly.  I enjoyed watching USC get fucked with a blown safety call just like everyone else here.  I get it.  I have 3 cousins and 2 uncles that went to USC and I enjoyed given them shit the whole game and listening to them whine, it was probably as delicious as some of you regard lib tears.   But imagine we had to play USC everyday, and they got to choose the refs every other day, and even change the rules mid game.  At some point this would not be fun any more.  It's probably to late now, but the whole lets fuck the other "team" for tears doesn't translate to governance very well.  When you play little tricks and ignore decorum, respect and honor, it comes back to bite you in the ass. 

Edited by Horn Dog

21 minutes ago, Captainant said:

He was banned for posting 

"Go stick up a dick up your ass faggot"

and 

"Im sure your parents are real proud of you ending the family lineage by deciding to play with other guys dicks for fun. What an accomplishment. Enjoy being a genetic dead end while you bite pillows for all the guys plowing you."

Go figure, right?

Hey, I didn't realize I was the catalyst for VMW's bannination.  Excellent.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hey Rumpelstiltskin, you might want to grab a coffee and read a newspaper or two.  It's pretty clear you've been fast asleep for a long time.

I keep forgetting how hyper partisan the CR is. I should have known better. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

I keep forgetting how hyper partisan the CR is. I should have known better. 

or, you know, catch up with the news, understand the issue about which you'd like to comment and maybe read the last several pages of the thread before coming in here with your "this is clearly a criminal matter" hot take. this is a political process and a background clearance process, neither of which have anything at all to do with due process.

The most eye opening thing in this fiasco is how important Kavanaugh evidently is to the Republicans.

They are sacrificing so much political capital for this guy it makes me think there must be some serious payoff for getting Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court.

As opposed to any other GOP stooge Justice.