Anyone else think that we have too many bowl games?

Longboard Horn

The 2018-2019 bowl schedule is up. A few of the bowls have changed names do to sponsorship. The Heart of Dallas Bowl is now the SERVPRO First Response Bowl, but what really sticks out is the Cactus Bowl's new name. It will now be known as the Cheez-It Bowl. What does the winner receive? A free lifetime supply of Cheez-Its? 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/cfpbowls2018/2018-19-college-football-playoff-bowl-schedule

42 bowl games plus the National Championship.... 

• Like 1

Why complain about more football?  I think they just need to let everyone have a “bowl” or post season game even if it’s just at the stadium of one of the participating teams.  Having teams travel to random locations with empty stadiums is dumb.

Honestly I’d love to see a game between two winless teams, having been on a winless team once in my life.  Seeing a team getting a W on the last game of the season would be a great feel good story for the NCAA (even if no one watches).

• Like 1

Yes far too many bowl games currently, there should be at most mabey 15 to 20 post season bowl games...

College Football Playoff  - In an expanded playoff to either 8 or 16 teams...

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic

PlayStation Fiesta Bowl

Capital One Orange Bowl

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl

Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual

Allstate Sugar Bowl

College Football Playoff National Championship

Plus, an line up of the best bowl games not currently in the New Year's Day 6:

Hawaii Bowl

New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Valero Alamo Bowl

San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl

Hyundai Sun Bowl

Outback Bowl

Citrus Bowl presented by Overton's

And, also keep the current alignment of "All-Star" bowl games as well:

East–West Shrine Game

NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

Senior Bowl

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

The main problem I have with bowl games is when there aren't enough 6-6 squads and they start giving invitations to schools that finished 5-7

6-6 or 5-7. At that point, does it really make a difference. Those are filler games and serve their purpose for keeping the “Holiday White Noise” of football alive in my house. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Why complain about more football?  I think they just need to let everyone have a “bowl” or post season game even if it’s just at the stadium of one of the participating teams.  Having teams travel to random locations with empty stadiums is dumb.

Honestly I’d love to see a game between two winless teams, having been on a winless team once in my life.  Seeing a team getting a W on the last game of the season would be a great feel good story for the NCAA (even if no one watches).

I have said for the last 20 years that "bowl games" should be replaced with "post-season games."  

Let everyone have a post-season game.  

If Kansas and Texas State want to play a post-season game, let them, no matter how shitty both of them are. 

If they want to play it in Lawrence, fine. 

If they want to play it in San Marcos, fine. 

If some corporate sponsor wants to pay them money to play at a neutral site and call it a bowl, fine.  

The bowl system that the NCAA for some reason loves does nothing but suck money away from football programs.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

The main problem I have with bowl games is when there aren't enough 6-6 squads and they start giving invitations to schools that finished 5-7

Would you have watched a 1-11 Kansas @ 1-11 Oregon State (both only beating a lowly FCS team) at 9PM on Dec 25th last year?  Because I can tell you I absolutely would have, rather that than the 15th replay of a Christmas Story or whatever too early to care NBA game.  Again it’s mostly background noise anyways but I’d rather OD on bad college football if given the choice.

• Like 3

The bowl game thing is getting kind of like Texas high school football where teams with a losing record can get in the playoffs..

I'm not advocating for less football so much as more meaning for the games that are played, where being bowl eligible (and getting an invite) means something. Once you reach the college level participation trophies and "everybody gets to feel good about themselves" bullshit should be over...these "kids" are 3 years away from potential multi-million dollar contracts and competing with other big dogs to keep that money coming in.

Fuck sakes..

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Would you have watched a 1-11 Kansas @ 1-11 Oregon State (both only beating a lowly FCS team) at 9PM on Dec 25th last year?  Because I can tell you I absolutely would have, rather that than the 15th replay of a Christmas Story or whatever too early to care NBA game.  Again it’s mostly background noise anyways but I’d rather OD on bad college football if given the choice.

Actually, I think a game such as you described would only pique my interest in a way that I couldn’t explain if asked to do so. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ousux said:

The bowl game thing is getting kind of like Texas high school football where teams with a losing record can get in the playoffs..

I'm not advocating for less football so much as more meaning for the games that are played, where being bowl eligible (and getting an invite) means something. Once you reach the college level participation trophies and "everybody gets to feel good about themselves" bullshit should be over...these "kids" are 3 years away from potential multi-million dollar contracts and competing with other big dogs to keep that money coming in.

Fuck sakes..

I can’t remember the exact numbers, but it’s something like 300 players go pro (which includes CFL and other lesser leagues) of each FBS recurring class.   It’s less than 10%.  Obviously those numbers go up for the big conferences and down for the little conferences, likewise it higher for the perennial top 25 and historical blue bloods and lower for the perennials doormats.

So when we’re talking about giving these teams extra practices and a single extra game we’re obviously not talking about Alabama and USC, we’re talking about Kansas, Oregon State, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Vandy and Rice who would be lucky to have a single player go pro each year.  So the vast majority of these “kids”we’re talking about don’t have multi million dollars contracts in their future.  It’s stupid so say Kansas doesn’t need an extra game/practice because Alabama will have 10 players making millions in a few months.

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

^^^^^ 

If that summarizes your problem, then there's a very easy solution -- IGNORE THEM.

The bigger problem is that lower tier bowl games actually cost schools money to play in and encourage teams to schedule shitty non-conference games.  

Agreement there... 

This is the thread where some asshole brings up the need for a post-season playoff, (Like literally every other sport in the world has) instead of randomized list of post-season exhibition games right?  Because I'd like to be that guy.  

The people getting paid to preserve this 19th century postseason system have got to be getting close to dying off, right?

Edited by Monster

21 minutes ago, Monster said:

This is the thread where some asshole brings up the need for a post-season playoff, (Like literally every other sport in the world has) instead of randomized list of post-season exhibition games right?  Because I'd like to be that guy.  

The people getting paid to preserve this 19th century postseason system have got to be getting close to dying off, right?

Your logic is correct, as currently we do not have a "College Football Playoff", but rather just football's version of 4 teams invited to a gridiron NIT to be crowned as best...

Here is the problem, you see how long it took to get the arm twisting done to start a "playoff" for college football..? Just imagine trying to get an 8/ 12/ 16/ 24, or (will never happen), a 64 team playoff... *Probably would be good with just either a 16 or 24 team playoff, and before you say, "That's too many games", well, division II & III play 24 playoff game brackets, yet still the student athletes are functioning in class and handle their academic workload, here are some dancing asian chicks to distract us from the fact we only have a "playoff" in name...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Here is the problem, you see how long it took to get the arm twisting done to start a "playoff" for college football..? Just imagine trying to get an 8/ 12/ 16/ 24, or (will never happen), a 64 team playoff... *Probably would be good with just either a 16 or 24 team playoff, and before you say, "That's too many games", well, division II & III play 24 playoff game brackets, yet still the student athletes are functioning in class and handle their academic workload, here are some dancing asian chicks to distract us from the fact we only have a "playoff" in name...

Problem is, you've got a lot of old fat guys rolling around university stadiums, ,wearing their bright yellow blazers and getting treated like kings by schools/conferences hoping they might get an invite to one of these exhibition games with a big money payout. 

As if a legit college football playoff wouldn't create a mountain of money that would dwarf the revenue produced by thirty Husqvarna sewing machine bowls.   But it looks like the old fat guys in yellow blazers haven't figured out how to preserve their swag bags, hospitality suites, and secret envelopes...so millions of fans are told to be happy with what we have and settle in for decades of meaningless post season exhibition games.   

They went from 'we like our bowl system just fine' to a 4 team invitational pretty fast, once the right people were motivated (and Slive saw he could preserve the old selection system and get 2 of those 4 invites for the SEC)  But nobody with power has figured out how to increase profits with a real tournament that has an actual qualification system. (win your conference, for example)

Edited by Monster
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ousux said:

Fuck sakes..

Kids know their participation trophies aren't the same as winning and the teams know the Cheez-Its Bowl isn't the Rose Bowl - it's all just goofy fun.

Now letting teams with losing records into the actual HS playoffs on the other hand, that's stupid.

Hello no, there’s not too many bowl games.  What silly question.  

Totally unrelated, but last night’s taste of CBF games got me thinking: did the poster who wrote the morning-after Week That Was CFB recap on shaggy make it over here (Husker Horn, maybe)?

His posts were great Sunday morning reading.  

1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

Totally unrelated, but last night’s taste of CBF games got me thinking: did the poster who wrote the morning-after Week That Was CFB recap on shaggy make it over here (Husker Horn, maybe)?

Bobigred.  I don't think I've seen him, and there should be a coordinated effort to get him here for those.  They were great. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Kids know their participation trophies aren't the same as winning and the teams know the Cheez-Its Bowl isn't the Rose Bowl - it's all just goofy fun.

Now letting teams with losing records into the actual HS playoffs on the other hand, that's stupid.

You can still have both, isn't there room for a 16 team playoff & still allow say a dozen bowl games for the same purpose that yous describe..? I would think it's doable...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

4 words: Poulan Weed Whacker Bowl

20 minutes ago, markstanco said:

5 words: you dont have to watch.

I am guessing those who want less football is upset the time slot for The Bachelor is being used.

Hey, not everyone has the same threshold of quality football watchability.  I got a lot of things I can do rather watch two 6 game winning teams flail about a field in upper Saschatchewan, Idaho........ like get a root canal without anesthesia.

The number doesn't matter at this point. The more games, the more chance to catch a game during the holidays. I would make one rule change and that would be to allow non-bowl teams the same amount of extra practice that bowl teams get. The worst teams need the extra practice more than the good and great teams...

The main thing I hate about the current bowl season is that too many fans think those games matter. I am tired of whining about draft-eligible players not playing or about games where one team obviously doesn't give a shit. Outside of the playoffs these are exhibitions. If you want to exchange more football for the prestige of getting a very limited number of bowl invites, then accept that some coaching staffs don't give a damn (maybe even your own school's) about a potentially meaningless game. For Texas last season, the bowl game was very important for morale, but this year Herman may not see a bowl game (in the unlikely event we don't make the playoffs, show me a loss) as having the same symbolic value and we may not see our best game on the field.

The new redshirt rules will also likely see the quality of play decline as some teams will throw their freshmen out there in droves to get them some action and see how they perform under the lights.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey, not everyone has the same threshold of quality football watchability.  I got a lot of things I can do rather watch two 6 game winning teams flail about a field in upper Saschatchewan, Idaho........ like get a root canal without anesthesia.

Then you should go ahead and do those things.  

As long as watching them is not mandatory, no.

I do think the bowl rules screw the colleges to where most of them lose money. Instead of enriching some random city, many should be played in a team's home stadium for better attendance and money for the schools instead of from the schools. I read that in an article last year.