Anyone else think that we have too many bowl games?

Longboard Horn

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

As long as watching them is not mandatory, no.

I do think the bowl rules screw the colleges to where most of them lose money. Instead of enriching some random city, many should be played in a team's home stadium for better attendance and money for the schools instead of from the schools. I read that in an article last year.

I think in a 24 team playoff, just play the 1st round games in the higher ranked home teams' stadium, the 2nd round in the regional bowls, and the rest in the NY6 CFP bowls...

13 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Ya,  there’s not too many bowls imo,  but it would be great if they could keep the names cool 

I've noticed that some of them have gone back to the less sponsor heavy names, ie:

Peach Bowl, not Chick-Fil-A Bowl
Gator Bowl, not TaxSlayer Bowl (well almost)
Citrus Bowl, not Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I have said for the last 20 years that "bowl games" should be replaced with "post-season games."  

Let everyone have a post-season game.  

If Kansas and Texas State want to play a post-season game, let them, no matter how shitty both of them are. 

If they want to play it in Lawrence, fine. 

If they want to play it in San Marcos, fine. 

If some corporate sponsor wants to pay them money to play at a neutral site and call it a bowl, fine.  

The bowl system that the NCAA for some reason loves does nothing but suck money away from football programs.

Intriguing proposition.  Would be an interesting experiment to let the market dictate the bowls....open up a brokerage for matching teams with bowls and allow them to bid it out.

As you've stated in a follow up, it's easy to "not watch the games" if you don't think it's worthy.  Someone else may view it differently and care to watch it, and I'm certain it's priced accordingly.  Hell, the investors might lose...but that's a lesson learned on their part, right?  Or, a tax write-off.  Why should we care?  I support the vote-with-your-wallet movement.

Feel like the bowl games should be in warm areas as they were in the beginning.  I mean if you're gonna have a bowl game in New York you might as well have the Cold-As-Fuck Alaska Bowl presented by Anchorage Tire and Lube Jobs.  Have it at that stadium thats so far north it doesn't need lights because the sun doesn't go down.  Scheduling that might be a bit difficult.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Feel like the bowl games should be in warm areas as they were in the beginning.  I mean if you're gonna have a bowl game in New York you might as well have the Cold-As-Fuck Alaska Bowl presented by Anchorage Tire and Lube Jobs.  Have it at that stadium thats so far north it doesn't need lights because the sun doesn't go down.  Scheduling that might be a bit difficult.

Actually, the sun doesn’t come up much in that part of the world during winter.

• Like 1

Yes, but I also agree that background games during the holidays is also good.  So I don't really give a fuck.  I do get a little sad when I see that the reward for 6-6 teams is to play in an empty stadium where nobody gives a fuck.  Imagine this as your post-season reward.  May as well play these at home stadiums where usual fans would go for no other reason than to drink and have fun.  Or at least keep them local.  I don't know how that system would work, but  stuff like this is just sad.  

Image result for heart of dallas bowl attendance

Edited by 'stache

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yes, but I also agree that background games during the holidays is also good.  So I don't really give a fuck.  I do get a little sad when I see that the reward for 6-6 teams is to play in an empty stadium where nobody gives a fuck.  Imagine this as your post-season reward.  May as well play these at home stadiums where usual fans would go for no other reason than to drink and have fun.  Or at least keep them local.  I don't know how that system would work, but  stuff like this is just sad.  

Image result for heart of dallas bowl attendance

Play that in the Star. Everyone is warm, stands look full and Jerrah’s practice facilities gets fellated on national tv so he’d probably allow it. 

Play that in the Star. Everyone is warm, stands look full and Jerrah’s practice facilities gets fellated on national tv so he’d probably allow it. 

Good idea. Maybe smaller venues is the answer. Minor league ballparks or smaller soccer stadiums. Maybe use them to show off nicer and newer high school stadiums. For 6-6 teams don’t make them play in empty NFL stadiums and certainly not other schools’ stadiums. I’d support a low tier bowl game in Tulsa in the minor league baseball stadium where they play soccer too and holds about 10,000.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Good idea. Maybe smaller venues is the answer. Minor league ballparks or smaller soccer stadiums. Maybe use them to show off nicer and newer high school stadiums. For 6-6 teams don’t make them play in empty NFL stadiums and certainly not other schools’ stadiums. I’d support a low tier bowl game in Tulsa in the minor league baseball stadium where they play soccer too and holds about 10,000.

Some MLS venues would work well. Usually covered stands, or partially covered so the fans are partially protected from the elements and noise is reflected, intimate, no awkward sight lines like a baseball stadium, and maybe a minor money maker for the stadium and team. 

Honestly, I’d have the top 12 teams duke it out for the MNC, and let the remainder of the bowl eligible teams have a playoff for an NIT like crown. Perhaps such a title could be used to get home field advantage or something the following year if that team qualifies for the BCS or FNIT.  Gives teams and fans something tangible, and maybe an ascending program a foothold later. 

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

The other night I watched NAIA football between SAGU and Evangel because I missed college football and you want to take games away from us? You're a savage, man.

Co-sign. I watched Montreal vs Toronto CFL with French commentary and it still felt like I'd found water in the desert.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Some MLS venues would work well. Usually covered stands, or partially covered so the fans are partially protected from the elements and noise is reflected, intimate, no awkward sight lines like a baseball stadium, and maybe a minor money maker for the stadium and team. 

Honestly, I’d have the top 12 teams duke it out for the MNC, and let the remainder of the bowl eligible teams have a playoff for an NIT like crown. Perhaps such a title could be used to get home field advantage or something the following year if that team qualifies for the BCS or FNIT.  Gives teams and fans something tangible, and maybe an ascending program a foothold later. 

Toyota Stadium where FC Dallas plays worked well for the Frisco Bowl. 

There’s no such thing as too many bowl games. It’s more football. More action for bettors. More ad and sponsorship cash. Wit the CFB Playoff, it’s not like anything underneath it is getting any importance placed on it, so why not just have the games for the everyday fan? Nothing to complain about here. 

Let me just see if I understand the OP's question.

- this is the week before the college football season starts (sorry for ignoring the meaningless games in week 0)
- you are asking a question about some games that will be played late December
- the games will include teams you like, teams you like to root against, and teams you don't give a damn about, just like every week
- you are asking if more games are bad

Pretty sure that today, August 26, the answer is hell not there are not too many bowl games

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey, not everyone has the same threshold of quality football watchability.  I got a lot of things I can do rather watch two 6 game winning teams flail about a field in upper Saschatchewan, Idaho........ like get a root canal without anesthesia.

Damn... But about the same for me until you get to the top 10 to 12 bowl games, it looks like over glorified collegiate versions of Texas high  school football... #NowThat's SomeBall...

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey, not everyone has the same threshold of quality football watchability.  I got a lot of things I can do rather watch two 6 game winning teams flail about a field in upper Saschatchewan, Idaho........ like get a root canal without anesthesia.

Then dont watch? Jesus it's pretty simple. 

I overdosed and watched likely 9 of 10 last bowl season.  Watched aggie and wake forest a few months ago again because I forgot to delete and was kn the mood for comedy. 

Vote with your remote. It you dont like it dont watch. I among others will watch because February to August sucks.  

I don't care how many bowl games there are, I like watching football. It affects me and the team I root for in no negative way if Nevada gets to play UAB in the Captain Crunch Pirate Cereal Bowl at some minor league baseball field converted into a football field somewhere out on the East Coast. Hell, maybe there's a hyped player or two out of UAB and/or Nevada that I may wanna watch so that I can act like I'm a draft expert on the Twitter come March and April.

Only thing these kids getting to play in an extra game really affects is how we should view Bowl appearances when discussing what a coach/program has accomplished recently. Other than that it hurts nothing, and you don't have to watch it. 

Edited by UncleBuck

The biggest problem with the bowl system (and CFB in general) is the compulsion to schedule high school teams for 3-4 weeks of the season to get eligible.

I wouldn't care if every team had a bowl if we could get rid of that.

Edited by JBJ

Also curious to me that many of the same people bitching about the proliferation of bowl games are the same guys totally content to watch preseason NFL and watch obscure regular season games because it affects their fantasy stats.  If you can waste that much of your life on nothingness, you can let some guys from the MAC travel someplace fun for a game in late December that won't impact your life one way or the other but will probably be one of the greatest experiences of their lives.  

• 2 months later...