Champions League 2018-2019

sidis

Decent little synopsis

Ajax (NED)

UEFA ranking: 22
This season: P16 W9 D6 L1 F32 A14 (including qualifying)
Top scorer: Dušan Tadić (6, or 9 including qualifying)
Last semi-final: 1996/97, L1-6 v Juventus
European Cup semi-final record: W6 L2
European Cup best: winners x4 (1971, 1972, 1973, 1995)
Top #UCLfantasy scorer: Dušan Tadić (53 points)

Why they might win it: They dethroned champions Real Madrid, and then stopped Cristiano Ronaldo in his tracks, so what else is left to fear?

Barcelona (ESP)

UEFA ranking: 2
This season: P10 W7 D3 L0 F23 A6
Top scorer: Lionel Messi (10)
Last semi-final: 2014/15, W5-3 v Bayern München 
European Cup semi-final record: W7 L8
European Cup best: winners x5 (1992, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2015)
Top #UCLfantasy scorer: Lionel Messi (54 points)

Why they might win it: Messi has never had to wait more than four years between European titles – why start now?

The semi-final first legs will be played on Tuesday 30 April and Wednesday 1 May, with the returns taking place the following week. Specific match dates will be confirmed in due course.

7 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

we all know what's gonna happen, right?

Ajax will come agonizingly close but won't score, and then Ronaldo will draw a PK in the last 5 minutes to put Juve through.

7 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Fact.

7 hours ago, midtown said:

false

@Midtown FTW!

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Ajax is winning the whole damn thing. They seem like that damn team this year. 

Ojalá!

Tagliafico will be back and chompin' at the bit for the matchup with Barça.

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

i am on Team Ajax, mainly as i am huge fan of Dusan Tadic.

A year ago today, Tadic was playing/starting for a PL team that was 5 points off 17th place with 5 games left in the season.

A year later, he is playing/starting for a team in the UCL semi-finals and a top goal soccer in UCL play.

Talk about landing on your feet.

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

Spicy. I will say they are lucky to only have to play one of Liverpool or Barca to win it. 

I could see them making the final, not sure I see them winning against this Barca team. Messi is basically outclassing teams by himself right now. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Spicy. I will say they are lucky to only have to play one of Liverpool or Barca to win it. 

I could see them making the final, not sure I see them winning against this Barca team. Messi is basically outclassing teams by himself right now. 

Right now they have 2 draws vs Bayern. Lost to Real at home, won 4-1 at the Bernabeu. Drew vs Juventus at home, won 2-1 at Turin. There is a very good chance they will have to get by City home/away in the semi's to play Liverpool or Barca. I wouldn't really use the word lucky. 

3 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Right now they have 2 draws vs Bayern. Lost to Real at home, won 4-1 at the Bernabeu. Drew vs Juventus at home, won 2-1 at Turin. There is a very good chance they will have to get by City home/away in the semi's to play Liverpool or Barca. I wouldn't really use the word lucky. 

yeah, i dont consider a run-in of Real Madrid, Juventus, Man City, then Barcelona/Liverpool as lucky.

However, getting Spurs in the semis would be a bit lucky though.

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

yeah, i dont consider a run-in of Real Madrid, Juventus, Man City, then Barcelona/Liverpool as lucky.

I think today is the first day in my life I will cheer for Spurs, but expecting a City 3-0 win. 

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

This is kind of my point. City has work cut out for them making it to the semis. And I think Pool and Barca are better than any team Ajax has beat thus far. Obv they've made an outstanding run into the semis but Bayern is aging and heading towards a rebuild, Real is not the team they were last season, and Juve was banged up.