Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

and in true Texas fashion, we have this to deal with:
Texas Gives Tom Herman Two-Year Contract Extension
The deal approved Thursday extends Herman's guaranteed contract through 2023 and will pay him $6.5 million in 2022 and $6.750 million in the final year.
6fb9c682e1703938b17005707be62f4e.jpg02fde68c69855e7b94818b3fc8f90153.jpg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

This is what we get for not adhering to our principles. Herman should have been told "either Horny goes or you both go," damn the consequences. And then, if Herman caved, he should've been forced to explain why he ever thought hiring the guy was OK in the first place. This is the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS. It's not OU, Ohio State, or fucking aggy. Rape apologists and people who protect and employ them do not belong here. Period.  I'll keep cheering for the kids, but Herman is fucking dead to me.

It's a stance I should have taken the second Herman hired Horny and then refused to ditch him with a justification of "I'm smart and you're not."

Honestly, I think "our principles" is what's holding us back.  I was told that the Horny hire meant that Herman was going to bring a new ruthlessness to Texas Football that we hadn't seen before, and some people were going to be uncomfortable with it.  Maybe short of outright cheating, we were going to do what was required to win.

Well, that turned out to be total horseshit, Tom just hired one of his butt-buddies.

But the point remains.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Honestly, I think "our principles" is what's holding us back.  I was told that the Horny hire meant that Herman was going to bring a new ruthlessness to Texas Football that we hadn't seen before, and some people were going to be uncomfortable with it.  Maybe short of outright cheating, we were going to do what was required to win.

Well, that turned out to be total horseshit, Tom just hired one of his butt-buddies.

But the point remains.

I get what you're saying (and I'll probably take some heat for this), but I value my degrees and the reputation of the school a lot more than the football program.

And even so, I would have ZERO trouble paying kids left and right. None whatsoever. I would be fine with hiring a coach who was absolutely ruthless when it comes to stuff like that. But I draw the line employing someone who was part of a fucking rape camp (or covered up for domestic violence).

• Like 1

I get what you're saying (and I'll probably take some heat for this), but I value my degrees and the reputation of the school a lot more than the football program.

And even so, I would have ZERO trouble paying kids left and right. None whatsoever. I would be fine with hiring a coach who was absolutely ruthless when it comes to stuff like that. But I draw the line employing someone who was part of a fucking rape camp (or covered up for domestic violence).

.....I mean, all that, AND he’s in charge of the shitshow we call “special teams”

I can’t imagine anyone more readily expendable that some douche bag rape apologist with an unfortunate but stupid fucking last name.

So Kstate with a new coach and nowhere near the talent level we have brought their A coaching game today and beat OU. 

Im not gonna criticize people for defending Herman. He’s a coordinator in my opinion. And honestly not the best coach we could have hired. 

Wpuld have loved to have Fleck but oh well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Herman:

"We expected TCU to run more on us."

Follow-up question should have been:

Why you have the worse pass defense in the country?

It's called adjustments, motherfucker.  Something you and your staff are completely incapable of doing.   

So he seems to think we need outside help and goes out and gets 2 guys with a combined record of 14-74 and another guy who got also got shitcanned for driving UNC into the ground and going 5-18 in his last 2 years.  That's a 19-92 record for 3 guys who I am sure are great guys but obviously suck ass at coaching football.  

That's who he chooses to surround him self with in addition to all the deadbeats he brought with him from UH?   

The writing is on the wall on this one, regardless if he's fired this year or 2 years from now

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Herman:

"We expected TCU to run more on us."

Follow-up question should have been:

Why you have the worse pass defense in the country?

what he meant to say was "We HOPED TCU would run on us more."  because if they decided to attempt forward passes he knew we were fucked.  The guy is lost.  I don't think we have ever had a guy this young(i guess mcwilliams was only 50 but he obviously didn't want to coach) get fired as HC of Texas.  I wonder what happens to you?

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

Totally agree.  I don't want to hire Urban Meyer, he's a shitheel.

But, the programs that win year-in, year-out are chock full of shitheels and questionable practices of all sorts.  OU since Stoops is probably the cleanest and most respectable of them, for whatever that's worth.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Very sad times...if Herman's not the answer then we're screwed because I don't know who else can come in and succeed in this type of "environment" as a program. But it's hard to defend a possible 7-8 win season where the the majority of the conference is in a down year

There is a very real question as to whether Herman and Orlando have been successful primarily because they both had gimmicks for a few years that caught opposing coaches off guard. Herman’s RPO and Orlando’s move people around everywhere bs may be why they upset better teams. Really good and smart coaches can evolve their schemes and strategies to always stay ahead of the other guy. Maybe our coaches are the other guys.

9 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

Very sad times...if Herman's not the answer then we're screwed because I don't know who else can come in and succeed in this type of "environment" as a program. But it's hard to defend a possible 7-8 win season where the the majority of the conference is in a down year

there are  probably quite a few to be honest. Herman was G5 coach for 2 years and beating OU and FSU and losing to SMU, Navy, UConn.  then he loses back to back to Maryland.  he's an avg head coach which includes one of the biggest parts of the job, hiring your assistants who will actually do 90% of the coaching so that players can execute your game  .  he's a B hiring C's.  this is over. seen this movie before.  I guess I should be glad I was around for 10 years of. Mack and 7 years of Vince and Colt

I'm revising my previous comment.  he can hang around and win 7-9 games a year not 8-10.  we will accept it.  the re-arranging of the deck chairs will start this offseason.

Pffft.  Herman hasn't been successful. 

His claim to success before Texas was 12-1 and 9-3 at UH with wins over OU, FSU and Louisville as reality checks.  Statistically insignificant sample size.  Large variance.  Several wtf games.

Here, he had 10-4, a sort of anomalous 10 win season playing 14 games (Mack typically did them playing 12 games).  Again multiple wtf games.  "Big" wins of dubious quality.

I'm totally in for discounting success had as a coordinator for a HFC position.  There's zero confidence it will translate.

This hire was based almost entirely on hype.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pffft.  Herman hasn't been successful. 

His claim to success before Texas was 12-1 and 9-3 at UH with wins over OU, FSU and Louisville as reality checks.  Statistically insignificant sample size.  Large variance.  Several wtf games.

Here, he had 10-4, a sort of anomalous 10 win season playing 14 games (Mack typically did them playing 12 games).  Again multiple wtf games.  "Big" wins of dubious quality.

I'm totally in for discounting success had as a coordinator for a HFC position.  There's zero confidence it will translate.

This hire was based almost entirely on hype.

Who would've been the better hire?

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Totally agree.  I don't want to hire Urban Meyer, he's a shitheel.

But, the programs that win year-in, year-out are chock full of shitheels and questionable practices of all sorts.  OU since Stoops is probably the cleanest and most respectable of them, for whatever that's worth.

Honestly, all I ask is that we make not excuses for violent criminals and sex offenders, not employ people who cover for them, or fuck with the academic side.

You got caught selling weed? OK, fine. Sit out a half versus Louisiana Tech, I guess. It should never have been illegal in the first place. Public intoxication and swearing at a cop? Get ready to run some suicides. Got caught taking benefits from a booster? As long as the NCAA doesn't rule you ineligible, that's fine with me. Get caught running a Georgia style cheating ring? Yeah, I really don't give a shit anymore.  It's painfully obvious the NCAA doesn't care if big schools do it, so why should I?  Punch a male law school student on 6th Street? Eh, I don't blame you at all. The fact that he's in law school means there's 95% chance he deserved it. No punishment at all.  Ruthlessly tamper with players from another school to induce a transfer? Fuck it, go for it.

Hit a girl, sexually assault someone, cover one of those things up, ignore one of those things, employ someone who did any of that, murder someone/a teammate (well, maybe Epps or Brewer...),* engage in some kind of aggravated violent felony, or commit academic fraud on a massive scale that hurts the reputation of the school (e.g. UNC)? Then you're gone. That's it. That's all I'm asking.  It seems that Herman and I have different priorities, though.

*Obviously a joke. Mostly.

Edited by campcrunk

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's another issue.  There were slim pickins at the time.

I sure like Chris Klieman's resume.  But he was too busy wining FCS NCs back then.

Word.

Tom had better recruit his fucking ass off and correct the weaknesses on his coaching staff or he's fucking donzo. CDC and the big money mother fuckers aren't going to sit around with their mirrors full of butt cheeks

2 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

I love this. One day after a couple of early wins is “Look at the rest. Show me a loss.” Three weeks later it’s “Look at the rest. Show me a win.” Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in other words Texas fans are fickle? I know the loss sucks and we have battered fan syndrome but to suggest we’re nearly as bad as the Charlie era is laughable. In all honesty I can see us finishing 3-1 or 2-2. Thinking we’re gonna lose out is reactionary  

44 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

good point

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas