Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think it's apples and oranges as far as comparing the bowl structure.  We aren't in this year's sugar bowl under the BCS setup that Mack coached in.  Not that it takes away the point that Mack had failings in big games.

for sure.  we wouldn't even have been in the conversation for conference champion.  

13 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Look, I'm as skeptical of any claim that Herman will take us to the Promised Land as anyone. There are plenty of legitimate causes for concern for the future of the program after this year:

• The team overall seems to play up or down to the level of the competition. We rise to the good teams, but are lax against the not-so-good. That will not work in the long term. We are The Big Game for every single one of our opponents, and we have to bring it every game and play to a standard every week.
  • Our team seems to take a half or a quarter off for every game. If we get a big lead, we let up, even against competition that has the full potential to come back against us.
  • Our recruiting isn't there yet.
  • We definitely have some benchwarmers on the staff in both coaching and recruiting.

That said... First, you don't fire a coach after your first 10-win season in 10 years and winning a Sugar Bowl where you absolutely out-coached a better team. Yesterday's game should've been a game where we got a cold dose of reality as we discovered just how far we have to go, recruiting-wise, before we've got a house in the Top 5 neighborhood. Instead, some outstanding gameplanning on both offense and defense led to a game that was not as close as the scoreboard led you to believe.

Some people have been shitting on Orlando all year. They're failing to take into account our lack of depth and personnel on that side of the ball this year. The honest truth is that our defense played out of their minds this year and generally performed way above their pay grade. Also, the style of defense Orlando coaches, like Manny Diaz's, is going to make a ton of big plays, negative yards and turnovers, but be susceptible to the big play. It took nearly 3 quarters before Georgia figured that out.

I also expected that we would have another year of Tim Beck bullshit. We didn't. And Sam breaking out after the Maryland game was phenomenal. But the cold reality is that we have come into games with good offensive playcalling and generally well-prepared teams.

Coaching has been, overall, a plus this year. Our record is better than our talent level should've allowed for.

We, as fans, will always be too critical after a loss and too positive after a win. It's good to remain skeptical. But don't go overboard either way. There's no case for firing Herman right now, unless the Casey Horny/Zach Smith connections turn out to be more than just professional associations.

you got futureman 'd, bro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't know if it was intentional or just dumb luck, but forcing UGA to take that time out when they thought we were going to let the clock run at the end of the quarter but instead went hurry up was awesome. That could have been a very valuable TO in what ended up a 1 score game. 

Thought this was brilliant.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Herman is a much better big game coach than Mack.  Mack's teams (especially without VY) tended to pucker in big games.  Herman's teams seem to thrive on them.  Herman's biggest issue is the small games.  

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Yeah and this is his historical track record as an HC.

This is my concern dude.

But right now, I honestly don't give a fuck because we worked Jajaw like a Boy's Town whore.

Absolutely, and it needs to be addressed.

The good news is that it's easier to get over this hump through sheer talent, which we still need more of.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I was okay with that call.  Either way, you score or Georgia has go to 99 yards and we were getting good penetration into the backfield all night.  That would not have been a great place for them.

This is the way I saw it at the time. The TD was the correct call because 27-7 or 28-7 is a much different animal than 23-7 IMO. Worst case they've got to go 99 yards when they haven't shown much all game. I think the easy TD immediately following our score was the result of the Texas sideline starting to celebrate a tad early.

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

We make that FG and the game is over. A miss isn’t bad at that point, and the risk of a block is very low.

This too -- and a blocked FG returned for a TD doesn't tie the game. They still have to get the onside kick, which is what wound up happening anyways. 31-14 and Georgia might not even try to score there at the last.

28 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Look, I'm as skeptical of any claim that Herman will take us to the Promised Land as anyone. There are plenty of legitimate causes for concern for the future of the program after this year:

• The team overall seems to play up or down to the level of the competition. We rise to the good teams, but are lax against the not-so-good. That will not work in the long term. We are The Big Game for every single one of our opponents, and we have to bring it every game and play to a standard every week.
  • Our team seems to take a half or a quarter off for every game. If we get a big lead, we let up, even against competition that has the full potential to come back against us.
  • Our recruiting isn't there yet.
  • We definitely have some benchwarmers on the staff in both coaching and recruiting.

That said... First, you don't fire a coach after your first 10-win season in 10 years and winning a Sugar Bowl where you absolutely out-coached a better team. Yesterday's game should've been a game where we got a cold dose of reality as we discovered just how far we have to go, recruiting-wise, before we've got a house in the Top 5 neighborhood. Instead, some outstanding gameplanning on both offense and defense led to a game that was not as close as the scoreboard led you to believe.

Some people have been shitting on Orlando all year. They're failing to take into account our lack of depth and personnel on that side of the ball this year. The honest truth is that our defense played out of their minds this year and generally performed way above their pay grade. Also, the style of defense Orlando coaches, like Manny Diaz's, is going to make a ton of big plays, negative yards and turnovers, but be susceptible to the big play. It took nearly 3 quarters before Georgia figured that out.

I also expected that we would have another year of Tim Beck bullshit. We didn't. And Sam breaking out after the Maryland game was phenomenal. But the cold reality is that we have come into games with good offensive playcalling and generally well-prepared teams.

Coaching has been, overall, a plus this year. Our record is better than our talent level should've allowed for.

We, as fans, will always be too critical after a loss and too positive after a win. It's good to remain skeptical. But don't go overboard either way. There's no case for firing Herman right now, unless the Casey Horny/Zach Smith connections turn out to be more than just professional associations.

Pretty much all of this too. I've got warm fuzzies about Herman for the most part. I even like how Beck is doing -- whatever that arrangement is -- so long as he keeps killing it on the recruiting trail.

27 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Herman is a much better big game coach than Mack.  Mack's teams (especially without VY) tended to pucker in big games.  Herman's teams seem to thrive on them.  Herman's biggest issue is the small games.  

Yes, this is what concerns me as well. But if he can limit it a dumb loss or two per season, once this playoff system expands to 8 teams give me the guy that can win the biggest games with regularity.

Yeah Herman made the correct call imo on all the decisions to kick or go. I can’t say the same for Riley who kicked two awful FGs. Most people underestimate the value of your opponent being pinned deep when you go for a TD inside the 5 or 10.

We may be in for a lot of rematches in Jerry World over the next few years.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

This is true.  The good news is that it's much easier for a coach to learn to overcome his tendencies to play down to lesser competition than it is to learn how to get up for a big game.  One is a matter of correcting process, whereas the other practically requires him to rewire his emotional makeup.

8 hours ago, futureman said:

disagree.  I think you can still make a case for firing him today.  but he will get another season.  

Still not seeing it. He turned a 6-7, 5-7, 5-7 team into a 7-6, 10-4 Sugar Bowl champ. Even after the joy and momentum of the moment fades, those numbers don't lie.

Year 4 is a guarantee at this point unless some actual scandal derails him. No doubt there are people that don't like him. But they have to be quiet for now.

Just now, Disco Missile said:

Still not seeing it. He turned a 6-7, 5-7, 5-7 team into a 7-6, 10-4 Sugar Bowl champ. Even after the joy and momentum of the moment fades, those numbers don't lie.

Year 4 is a guarantee at this point unless some actual scandal derails him. No doubt there are people that don't like him. But they have to be quiet for now.

Stop taking futureman's posts at face value.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is true.  The good news is that it's much easier for a coach to learn to overcome his tendencies to play down to lesser competition than it is to learn how to get up for a big game.  One is a matter of correcting process, whereas the other practically requires him to rewire his emotional makeup.

Herman is NEVER going to commit the cardinal sin of treating OU as just another game.  The special niche for the Golden Hat and the f'in countdown clock will make sure of that.  Get Texas personnel from top 20 to top 5 and a lot of the struggles with weaker teams fix themselves.

9 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

This sugar bowl win will really help sell the 2019 recruits on commuting to what is being built here and it is damned good meat for the 2020 guys as well. 

It really depends on how far those recruits have to commute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

Not what it looks like, just an opinion piece touting Herman as a future NFL coach.

Tom Herman could be the next great NFL coach and no one is talking about him.

I can't imagine NFL GMs letting Tom Herman run their precious QBs 20 times a game.

Also most NFL owners are looking for simple, quick fixes that their marketing people can sell to the fanbase as signs of progress.  Hiring college offensive gurus to install their system fits that MO perfectly.  A guy preaching hard work, harder hitting and greater purpose just sounds like coachspeak example #6,468 to those who haven't already seen it work.

Edited by sushihorn

the sugar bowl win guarantees him at least one more season but I wouldn’t say his seat has cooled off at all.  
That's crazy talk. Tonight Tom's seat is as cool as a CFB coach's can be.
disagree.  I think you can still make a case for firing him today.  but he will get another season.  
Lulz, lulz at everyon calling futureman a troll.

Troll? Lulz, herman is a coach at Texas OF COURSE his seat is still hot. Of course a case can be made for firing him. We're Texas this is what Texas does.

Royal was fired, fired with Earl motherfucking Campbell future heisman winner in his backfield for god's sake.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

I can't imagine NFL GMs letting Tom Herman run their precious QBs 20 times a game.

Also most NFL owners are looking for simple, quick fixes that their marketing people can sell to the fanbase as signs of progress.  Hiring college offensive gurus to install their system fits that MO perfectly.  A guy preaching hard work, harder hitting and greater purpose just sounds like coachspeak example #6,468 to those who haven't already seen it work.

I'll be honest, I have no clue what makes a good NFL head coach. I used to. But not anymore.

It seems like any 30 year old with a sales pitch and a year or two of success to hang their hat on qualifies. They get a couple years - unless you're Jeff Fisher or Jason Garrett - and then it's next man up.

Herman would probably be like Saban at the Dolphins though. Not a fit.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I have no clue what makes a good NFL head coach. I used to. But not anymore.
It seems like any 30 year old with a sales pitch and a year or two of success to hang their hat on qualifies. They get a couple years - unless you're Jeff Fisher or Jason Garrett - and then it's next man up.
Herman would probably be like Saban at the Dolphins though. Not a fit.
Nobody is a fit at the fins. Other than Shula.

Ranking All 76 Head Coaches This 2018-2019 Bowl Season

2. Tom Herman, Texas

Sugar Bowl
Texas 28, Georgia 21

Yeah, Georgia wasn’t the Georgia of the regular season, and it might have played a bit down after not getting into the College Football Playoff, but so what? The opportunity was there to kick an amazing team’s butt, and Herman’s Longhorns did just that with energy, energy, and more energy.

The offense wasn’t anything special, but it didn’t turn the ball over and dominated the clock, the defense held the Dawgs to under 300 yards, and Herman is now 3-0 all-time in bowls.
 5 Thoughts on the Sugar Bowl 

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/01/ranking-all-76-head-coaches-this-2018-2019-bowl-season/5

On 1/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, jimmyjazz said:

The good news is that it's much easier for a coach to learn to overcome his tendencies to play down to lesser competition 

Hope you’re right. We’re going to have take sign ups for Surly liver transplants if the TH and the horns pull another Maryland next year.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

By my count there are only 4 coaches with at least 2 major bowl wins in the last four years: 

Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer and Tom Herman.

Dumb sip, Fisher has more major bowls wins than that in 2019 alone:

2019 moral victory bowl: Clemson 28, aggy 26

2019 seven overtime bowl: lsu 72, aggy 74

2019 play them at half strength bowl: ncst 13, aggy 52

And his most impressive win of the year... 

2019 one sided contract bowl: Jimbo 70MM, aggy 0

• Like 4

Dumb sip, Fisher has more major bowls wins than that in 2019 alone:
2019 moral victory bowl: Clemson 28, aggy 26
2019 seven overtime bowl: lsu 72, aggy 74
2019 play them at half strength bowl: ncst 13, aggy 52
And his most impressive win of the year... 
2019 one sided contract bowl: Jimbo 70MM, aggy 0
See... Herman...
Bowl win was a moral loss.
Didn't beat ou twice.
4 loss team

Fire Tom Herman
OK?
Cool?
Hook me.
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since it’s buried deep and just one paragraph...

You can also forget those pee charts that look like paint swatches for urine, and ignore anyone who says that yellow pee is a sign that you need to drink more water. If you think about hydration from the standpoint of what’s going on inside your body, it’s easy to see why urine hue isn’t helpful. The color of your pee is essentially just a measure of how concentrated your urine is. If it contains more waste than water, it looks dark, and if it’s mostly water, it’s light or almost clear. But that’s not what’s important. What you really want to know is what’s going on in your blood, and your urine can’t tell you that. Dark pee might mean that you’re running low on fluid, but it could also mean that your kidneys are keeping your plasma osmolality in check by conserving water. Very light or clear urine just means that you’ve drunk more water than your body needs, and that’s not necessarily a good thing, especially right before an athletic event.[/Quote]

• 8 months later...
  • immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas