Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

I'll confess that after last year I still wasn't sold on Herman and after the Terps loss I was full of "I toldjasos" but I'm on board now. 

Cant wait for next year.

Also, I'm an "olds" and I like this Bevo. He's a feisty cuss and a good mascot for the resurgent Horns. Hook'em y'all. 

I will say Tom looks to be legit bit even let might be did some really stupid shit. Going for it on 4th and 1 when a chip shot field goal puts you up three scores was stupid even if it worked out. Attempting a meaningless field goal with a minute left instead of punting or even trying to get the fourth down conversion to run out the clock was dumb.

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I will say Tom looks to be legit bit even let might be did some really stupid shit. Going for it on 4th and 1 when a chip shot field goal puts you up three scores was stupid even if it worked out. Attempting a meaningless field goal with a minute left instead of punting or even trying to get the fourth down conversion to run out the clock was dumb.

I think the first field goal you are referring to would have only put us up 16.  Wasn't it 20-7?

I disagree on the second field goal, but it's not clear cut imo.  You most likely only get about 20 more yards of field position with a punt.  The chances of making the field goal were better than the chances of picking up the first down, I believe, and either one effectively ends the game.

34 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’ll say it. I was wrong as shit after Maryland apparently. Looks like this guy may be able to coach a little bit after all.

Coaches are like players, they can turn things around too and see improvements. Herman and co. deserved heavy criticism after Maryland just as they deserve praise now for the season as a whole.

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think the first field goal you are referring to would have only put us up 16.  Wasn't it 20-7?

I disagree on the second field goal, but it's not clear cut imo.  You most likely only get about 20 more yards of field position with a punt.  The chances of making the field goal were better than the chances of picking up the first down, I believe, and either one effectively ends the game.

Attempting the FG at the end was absolutely the right call.  

15 minutes ago, Llogg said:

What? that last field goal would have removed any chance of UGA being able to tie up the game.

Edited by Not a Sock

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

We outplayed our talent level this year more often than not. Great coaching by the staff is the reason for that. But we still have issues that need to be addressed.

Great way to end the season. See y'all next year.

See you next year? Fuck that! It's back to fucking work and we are all along for the ride. We have NSD2 coming up in a month, then spring football and the spring game, following that as well as junior days and summer camps for recruits throughout the offseason to keep up with sprinkled all over the place.

This sugar bowl win will really help sell the 2019 recruits on commuting to what is being built here and it is damned good meat for the 2020 guys as well. Hell, the guys thinking about transferring might decide to reconsider with everything going forward.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Next year will be even tougher for Tom. He has a shit ton of holes to fill woth sky high expectations so I personally think winning 10 next season would be more impressive than what he did this year.

if tom and yancy are doing their jobs we should improve where we are filling the “holes”.  

I love reading this thread, the reactionary collective is amazing to read. At times I felt like I was the only Herman backer on here. Still get pissed at people on here calling him “Mensa” you do know that’s what the retards call him on Texags.

This guy isn’t Charlie strong, he can coach and recruit and has attention to detail. He isn’t Mack in that he is all warm and cuddly, he has a different personality that some people don’t like but I love hearing his pressers much more than Mack’s regurgitating cliches and stats and lauding other teams to the point of making me nauseous.

His only negative has been playing down to the level of lessor teams so far. Let him get all his guys in here and let’s see what happens. I really think we can win it all with Herman.

• Like 2

I feel like I should point out that if Herman had chosen to kick the FG up 20-7, that makes it 23-7. Georgia went on to score two more touchdowns. It would be fatalistic to say "AND THEY'DA GOT THE TWO TWO-POINTER CONVERSIONS TOO" but the point is, they did score two more touchdowns after Herman passed up the FG in favor of going for it. The three-TD cushion gave us a LOT more room for error than a 16-pt cushion would have.

23 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

His only negative has been playing down to the level of lessor teams so far. Let him get all his guys in here and let’s see what happens. I really think we can win it all with Herman.

I don’t disagree with much of anything said other than this. He does make some “interesting” game management decisions at times but maybe it’s just being non traditional.

This thread and Football board in general are the showcase of reasons why it would suck to be a major program coach.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I feel like I should point out that if Herman had chosen to kick the FG up 20-7, that makes it 23-7. Georgia went on to score two more touchdowns. It would be fatalistic to say "AND THEY'DA GOT THE TWO TWO-POINTER CONVERSIONS TOO" but the point is, they did score two more touchdowns after Herman passed up the FG in favor of going for it. The three-TD cushion gave us a LOT more room for error than a 16-pt cushion would have.

Of course, TD always > FG, but the risk was not getting the TD in that situation. Being up 16 at that point in the game puts the odds of a loss quite low and just to tie UGA would have had to score two 2-point conversions in the fourth quarter of a game when their offense had been just about shut down.

The FG attempt at the end is somewhat more defensible, but I still think the chances of a miss or blocked FG were more significant than the upside of 3 points with 70 seconds left in the game.

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Of course, TD always > FG, but the risk was not getting the TD in that situation. Being up 16 at that point in the game puts the odds of a loss quite low and just to tie UGA would have had to score two 2-point conversions in the fourth quarter of a game when their offense had been just about shut down.

The FG attempt at the end is somewhat more defensible, but I still think the chances of a miss or blocked FG were more significant than the upside of 3 points with 70 seconds left in the game.

MensaTom gonna Mensa. Enjoy the W and the agy tears and quit grasping at things that exceed your reach.

11 minutes ago, Llogg said:

You know would have been so badass? If he'd called a roll left. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

First people bitch about him being to conservative. Then people bitch about him being too aggressive. Congratulations for making this place as dumb as texaggy.

This is idiotic. We are a monolithic collective? Are the same people vacillating? Are there not circumstances in which being aggressive is favorable and other circumstances in which being conservative is favorable?

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

This. Hopefully Dicker improves over the off season. There was the Red River game winner, but several important missed kicks.

He was second team all big 12 as a true freshman. He still needs to improve, but would you rather have him or Rowland?

Edited by Vertigo

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You play to win the game, and our defense held their own most of the night. I had no issue with going for it on 4th and inches on the goal line.

I was okay with that call.  Either way, you score or Georgia has go to 99 yards and we were getting good penetration into the backfield all night.  That would not have been a great place for them.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

We make that FG and the game is over. A miss isn’t bad at that point, and the risk of a block is very low.

Um are we all supposed to be in lock step regarding our position on something and not allowed to modify that position or opinion based on additional evidence???
Are we supposed to couple that with not complaining and being gungho our coach is perfect all the time?
You know what that sounds like right??
You're better than this shitty post.

And you are better than that one. What I am referring to is the wild swings. The manic swings. Yes, criticize, but be rational about it.

i'm not wading through the muck to find what i posted about TH earlier this year, but whatever it was i'm pretty sure i was wrong.  amazing to think that despite mack brown's numerous 10 win seasons it took until 2005 for him to win his first rose bowl, and here herman is in his second year with a sugar bowl victory.  

2 hours ago, futureman said:

disagree.  I think you can still make a case for firing him today.  but he will get another season.  

Look, I'm as skeptical of any claim that Herman will take us to the Promised Land as anyone. There are plenty of legitimate causes for concern for the future of the program after this year:

• The team overall seems to play up or down to the level of the competition. We rise to the good teams, but are lax against the not-so-good. That will not work in the long term. We are The Big Game for every single one of our opponents, and we have to bring it every game and play to a standard every week.
  • Our team seems to take a half or a quarter off for every game. If we get a big lead, we let up, even against competition that has the full potential to come back against us.
  • Our recruiting isn't there yet.
  • We definitely have some benchwarmers on the staff in both coaching and recruiting.

That said... First, you don't fire a coach after your first 10-win season in 10 years and winning a Sugar Bowl where you absolutely out-coached a better team. Yesterday's game should've been a game where we got a cold dose of reality as we discovered just how far we have to go, recruiting-wise, before we've got a house in the Top 5 neighborhood. Instead, some outstanding gameplanning on both offense and defense led to a game that was not as close as the scoreboard led you to believe.

Some people have been shitting on Orlando all year. They're failing to take into account our lack of depth and personnel on that side of the ball this year. The honest truth is that our defense played out of their minds this year and generally performed way above their pay grade. Also, the style of defense Orlando coaches, like Manny Diaz's, is going to make a ton of big plays, negative yards and turnovers, but be susceptible to the big play. It took nearly 3 quarters before Georgia figured that out.

I also expected that we would have another year of Tim Beck bullshit. We didn't. And Sam breaking out after the Maryland game was phenomenal. But the cold reality is that we have come into games with good offensive playcalling and generally well-prepared teams.

Coaching has been, overall, a plus this year. Our record is better than our talent level should've allowed for.

We, as fans, will always be too critical after a loss and too positive after a win. It's good to remain skeptical. But don't go overboard either way. There's no case for firing Herman right now, unless the Casey Horny/Zach Smith connections turn out to be more than just professional associations.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

amazing to think that despite mack brown's numerous 10 win seasons it took until 2005 for him to win his first rose bowl, and here herman is in his second year with a sugar bowl victory.  

Herman is a much better big game coach than Mack.  Mack's teams (especially without VY) tended to pucker in big games.  Herman's teams seem to thrive on them.  Herman's biggest issue is the small games.  

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i'm not wading through the muck to find what i posted about TH earlier this year, but whatever it was i'm pretty sure i was wrong.  amazing to think that despite mack brown's numerous 10 win seasons it took until VINCE 2005 for him to win his first rose bowl, and here herman is in his second year with a sugar bowl victory.  

FIFY

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas