Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 minute ago, bar said:

Eason with 2 3 and outs. Yall really think he's better than Sam? lol

this is a chippy game and given the Vikings didn't do shit last week they are motivated to keep their jobs. Yes Foles is still available (would it absolutely fuck up what is left of Wentz probably if they brought in Foles) but Reich wanted to keep it in house. It is good for the Colts Eason homers to see that its not that fucking easy. 

19 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

look we all want Sam to succeed. i don't see him on the roster for the entire year at this point.  he will be at best the 3rd qb when Wentz comes back and there's no guarantee that he will be on the game roster once that happens. they usually only have 2 on the roster. 

50 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

he had 4 years at Texas as a starter and hes still slow on his reads and hasa long delivery. i wish i was wrong....

We get it dude 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Are y’all watching the actual game?

On the 2nd pick, it was forced, but it was terrible WR play. The ball was on target. Bounded up in the air and picked.

This. He shouldn't have forced that in there, but what was the wr doing? Looked like he was trying to get a call by letting the db hold onto him, which it should've been.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

sam had a pick six and another terrible int.  better is relative. 

Eason isn’t a rookie so which one has an actual chance at improvement? The guy who let a 6th round pick work his way into getting meaningful snaps? You sound like Tom Herman which is ironic because if Sam can be coached then it proves his 4 years at Texas should have been even better statistically. What other hot takes you have? What do you think of big slow guys out wide? Lol

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

look we all want Sam to succeed. i don't see him on the roster for the entire year at this point.  he will be at best the 3rd qb when Wentz comes back and there's no guarantee that he will be on the game roster once that happens. they usually only have 2 on the roster. 

It's like....you never read the book "Carson Wentz" in school. They would be fools to not have a 3rd with Mr Glass out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Eason isn’t a rookie so which one has an actual chance at improvement? The guy who let a 6th round pick work his way into getting meaningful snaps? You sound like Tom Herman which is ironic because if Sam can be coached then it proves his 4 years at Texas should have been even better statistically. What other hot takes you have? What do you think of big slow guys out wide? Lol

eason dnp last year for covid. he may not be a rookie but hes not a veteran.  and since when is it a hot take to say sam has flaws in his game? 

6 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don't hate Eason. Sam earned practices with the ones. But Wentz is never healthy. And the timetable for when he will start is nebulous. I'd pick Sam. I am a homer. Don't deny it. Even though Eason was drafted last year he never got reps bc Covid (Jacoby got all the other reps outside of Rivers)...Sam and Eason are friends. BTW. Help each other. But Eason should have more playbook knowledge. 

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Y’all did see Wentz play last year? It remains to be seen if he’s the best option, even when healthy

Reich taking a gamble of going in house and developing their own because Wentz ate up all their cap space essentially. I did see Wentz play last year. It was bad. This is a battle for QB1/2 until Wentz can/is cleared to play. Their Oline is shit right now. 

Yeah there are injuries on Oline. When healthy it’s among the best in league. I don’t know if Sam will make it in the league, but Eason sure ain’t it either. We’ll see who’s more coachable and continues to improve. With their defense they really just need to minimize turnovers which Sam didn’t do tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

eason dnp last year for covid. he may not be a rookie but hes not a veteran.  and since when is it a hot take to say sam has flaws in his game? 

On a team that has a China doll for a starter who is currently injured before playing a game this year you said Sam probably wouldn’t be on the roster at all. That’s a hot take lol. Eason spent his college career with competent coaching staffs at Georgia and Washington. Sam spent his around a shitty staff with a meat head who always thought he was the smartest guy in the room. It’s possible Sam in the colts eyes has the higher ceiling. I could be wrong too but I recall a couple of dipshits whose careers were changed by Lincoln Reilly not long ago, anything is possible with good coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I get the reasoning for rooting for Sam here, but long term wise, just not sure if its best for his NFL career to be thrown to the wolves this early. 

Sam has always been a sink or swim kind of guy that finds a way to get it done.

If he's got it in the NFL, better to get a chance now and show a flash or two.

I get the reasoning for rooting for Sam here, but long term wise, just not sure if its best for his NFL career to be thrown to the wolves this early. 

Agree with this. He needs to show he deserves to stick. But not necessarily get thrown to the wolves just yet.

The question is arm strength, accuracy and quick decisions. Part of the reason he’s likely throwing a lot of short passes is that he trying to decide quickly to show he can do that.

His short to intermediate accuracy has been pretty solid.

His delivery is not incredibly natural which probably impacts his arm strength. I’d say he’s young enough though that some tweaks and specific work could improve this. I’d think that much of his strength work to date is to a better battering ram but now that’s not needed.

MINNEAPOLIS — In a perfect world, the Colts’ quarterback picture would be crystal clear and the upcoming decision facing coach Frank Reich would be an easy one made plain by the performance on the field.

This is not that world.

After the second of three preseason games, the Colts’ quarterback picture is as clear as mud as Indianapolis plots its next moves in the absence of starting quarterback Carson Wentz (foot).

With Wentz’s timeline still very unclear, the Colts are proceeding with the knowledge that one of their young quarterbacks — either Jacob Eason or Sam Ehlinger — could be pressed into action in Week 1 of the regular season.

Here’s what we learned from the Colts’ 12-10 preseason victory over the Vikings on Saturday night.

The QB situation is tenuous

It’s hard to feel better about the Colts’ quarterback situation after this game. Neither Ehlinger nor Eason have pulled away in this competition. And you could argue that Saturday night represented a setback versus their performance against Carolina in Week 1 of the preseason.

Perhaps the most damning statistic in this game is this: the Colts’ cumulative 5 passing yards per attempt. That is … gross.

There were certainly lots of reasons the Colts didn’t find the end zone in this game. Ehlinger’s two interceptions were a big factor, as was the inaccuracy on some key throws by both quarterbacks. But 5 yards per attempt is the kind of production that is typically associated with the worst offenses in football.

Reich was hoping to have an easy decision on whom to start in place of Wentz, if necessary. And he wanted to make that decision in the coming week. Now, he’ll likely have to postpone that call.

“I’ve got to look at the film to make that determination, but my hunch is we’re probably going to need to see another week,” Reich said. “Both guys are doing enough. Both guys are showing good signs. Both guys have made mistakes, but that’s normal. … So, we have a whole week of practice and another preseason game.”

The Colts visit Detroit for their third and final preseason game on Friday.

Ehlinger got the start on Saturday, as promised, and did little to take advantage of the opportunity. He finished 8-of-13 for 70 yards in a quarter and a half of action. He bobbled the first snap of the game before throwing an incompletion on the subsequent pass attempt.

He engineered a scoring drive on his second possession, setting up a 47-yard field goal, but followed that with an interception on a pass attempt to Parris Campbell on his next drive. It was unclear whether the trajectory of the pass was affected by a slight tip at the line of scrimmage. Either way, Troy Dye returned it 33 yards for a touchdown.

Ehlinger later forced a pass over the middle to Ashton Dulin that was deflected by safety Camryn Bynum and ultimately intercepted by Jordon Scott.

Ehlinger specifically lamented the lack of a touchdown. The Colts scored all their points on field goals.

“It’s tough,” he said. “If you want to be a really successful team, you’ve got to be great in the red zone. It’s something we worked on and talk about all the time. We have to be better.”

As for Eason, his biggest issue has been and continues to be consistency.

He made some impressive throws in the game, such as a third-down completion to Dezmon Patmon on which he bootlegged and threw accurately and decisively on the run for 12 yards. It was the kind of play you might expect to see Wentz make when healthy, given his comfort level with throwing on the run. Eason also hit Patmon for a 28-yard deep shot earlier in the game.

But the defining characteristic of Eason’s 2 1/2 quarters of work — he entered midway through the second quarter — was his inconsistency.

“It was pitch and catch,” Eason said. “I had guys (open), and I threw behind them or early or late or whatever it was. You’ve got to make those throws.”

Eason finished 16-of-27 (59.3 percent) for 132 yards (4.9 yards per attempt). Better than Ehlinger, perhaps, but also not good enough to inspire confidence that he could author a win against a challenging early-season schedule.

It remains possible that Wentz could make a return in time for the season opener, but the Colts have stressed that Wentz has not yet pushed himself during rehab from foot surgery and the team cannot make a reasonable projection until he gets further down the road.

https://theathletic.com/2783131/2021/08/22/eason-ehlinger-and-the-defense-what-we-learned-from-the-colts-preseason-win/

My impression is that most, if not all, want Eason to win the job.

A little of inside the numbers.

Ehlinger - 5 possessions, 2 scores. One int came in scoring territory. It was a forced throw, but better WR play could have kept it from being a pick.

Eason - 7 possessions, 2 scores. His first 3 possessions were 9 plays, 2 yards. These were in the first half. The non-scoring drives had 22 plays for 44 yards.

The running game was used more with Sam as he had half the passing attempts of Eason which provided him fewer opportunities to sustain drives strictly with his arm. Maybe that helped who knows.

Sam moves the team better it seems but has the bigger mistakes. He needs to stretch the field better because a constricted field will kill his production in the end Greg Davis OU style.

Both guys are inexperienced so ups and downs should be expected. If I were forced to put money on a game 1 starter, it’d be Wentz.

• Hook 'Em 1