Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It didn't look bad on TV. He got off the field with maybe a slight limp. Looked like he got deadlegged or something. 

Torn meniscus maybe? Sucks for him if so but that one in particular doesn't present a terrible recovery. 

If you value playing in less than 12 months more than a lifetime of osteoarthritis and a total knee replacement by 45.

18 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If you value playing in less than 12 months more than a lifetime of osteoarthritis and a total knee replacement by 45.

Huh? This isn't the 70s. Less than 12 months  is standard for that injury without presenting long term issues as far as I've seen. 

Unfortunately with this injury, I don't think he makes the 53 roster.  I think Eason gets 2nd QB - the competition has been close, but Eason has looked better in sustaining drives - something the pros want.  I think he makes the practice squad or whatever... because Wentz gets injured as often as Jameis Winston throws INTs.  I could easily see him if.. no, when.. Wentz goes down again working back with Eason.

I hope I'm wrong as hell, but that's how I see it.

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Unfortunately with this injury, I don't think he makes the 53 roster.  I think Eason gets 2nd QB - the competition has been close, but Eason has looked better in sustaining drives - something the pros want.  I think he makes the practice squad or whatever... because Wentz gets injured as often as Jameis Winston throws INTs.  I could easily see him if.. no, when.. Wentz goes down again working back with Eason.

That scenario is optimistic as it means he’d be physically able to perform. Hope for his sake that happens. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That scenario is optimistic as it means he’d be physically able to perform. Hope for his sake that happens. 

Yeah, I get you, but if they put him on the practice squad, they could keep him and it would be huge for him - otherwise a severely injured, unproven late-round rookie QB trying to get an NFL spot... ugh.  I hope they keep him, they seem to really love the guy, so I think chances are good.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Eason has not looked better sustaining drives. But he hasn’t turned it over. First 3 possessions they had 22 yards. Only a FG after a turnover inside the 20. Then he led 1 drive for a FG. Sam got 1 drive which turned into a FG. Eason either scores point or they go nowhere.

Last week Eason was not productive, but he didn’t turn it over.

Each week Sam had more yards per pass. He’s been sacked less and he’s run the ball effectively. Pretty sure Sam has better points per drive.

He’s hurt so that dictates now, but at a minimum, he was making the practice squad. My guess he would have made the roster so someone else didn’t snatch him up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, I get you, but if they put him on the practice squad, they could keep him and it would be huge for him - otherwise a severely injured, unproven almost rookie QB trying to get an NFL spot... ugh.  I hope they keep him, they seem to really love the guy, so I think chances are good.

If his knee injury is as bad as it looked, they’ll put him on IR for the year instead of cutting him and then let him compete with Eason again next year. 

46 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

They will carry 3 QBs just like every other NFL team. The injury might keep him off the 53 but him beating out Eason has nothing to do with it. 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If his knee injury is as bad as it looked, they’ll put him on IR for the year instead of cutting him and then let him compete with Eason again next year. 

Yeah, forgot about that option.  That's what they'll do I'm sure.

Yea this really really sucks for him.  This was the perfect spot for him having a chance with their terrible qb room. If he is out for an extended period and gets dropped it’s going to be tough to get a shot like he got this year in 2022.   It’s the NFL their qb room could look totally different next year or this year if Wentz goes down again and they finally sign Foles.  

Edited by Hook1997

Everything depends on the severity of the injury. They can place him on IR now, but it means he’s done for the year. To be able to play again this season, you first have to make the 53 man roster and then be placed on IR. Given Wentz’s injury history, they’ll probably go that route if Ehlinger’s injury allows it.

I’d say the practice squad is his least likely destination, because it means he has to be released first. 

This sucks. I haven’t been this excited about an NFL season in a long time. Hope Sam makes the team. I know the  coaches have said he’s brilliant in the QB room and his leadership etc…really has helped even Eason to develop…but I think we’ve seen Eason’s ceiling. We were just starting to see glimpses of why Reich was so intrigued by Sam. That 60 yard throw. If he makes the team and is put on IR he can still participate in the QB room rehab at facility? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sam will make the roster. I’m so bummed for him. He was really soaking up all of the practices and he legit earned a spot on the roster. I truly believe that if Wentz went down or can’t start that we would have seen Sam in a regular season game. 

Most of the Twitter saying he hurt his knee on the 60 yard bomb play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Damn...

That is great news compared to what was being heard! Sam is tough, he has been knocked down and gotten back up his whole life.

Colts season doesn’t start for another 2 weeks so he could be ready to go by week 4 or 5 of the regular season

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So we can infer that Sam won the job over Eason.

Oh he had him on the ropes last night if he doesn’t get hurt. Just glad he doesn’t have to have surgery. We may still see Sam. I thought he’d make the team but I hope they don’t IR him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So we can infer that Sam won the job over Eason.

You can but I wouldn't. Not sure that's what he meant.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Sometimes being fed to the wolves as a rookie isn't a good thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You can but I wouldn't. Not sure that's what he meant.
Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Sometimes being fed to the wolves as a rookie isn't a good thing. 

I don’t think that’s what he meant honestly but might as well run with it.

He’s made enough of an impression to stick in some capacity. I don’t feel as though him not starting is a bad thing. He’s built some confidence and this allows for some self evaluation and watch true NFL football.

It would have cool to get the opening day nod, but it’s possible that would have been more detrimental long term.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I may be wrong, but I believe an NFL career like Colt's (minus the concussions) is what's best for Ehlinger.

Stay healthy and make a bunch of money Sam 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Wonder why? That game against Georgia he was obviously concussed before Mensa ran him into the line at the goal line a couple more times.

It’s also why many scouts etc…didn’t think he had a big arm. 60 yard pass that was a beauty last nite. Fuck Mensa and I hope he has explosive diarrhea tonite in his bed and wakes up next to his wife covered in shit.

You can see now especially in the NFL that Sam has skills that do translate. Using him as a battering ram (especially given his size) in college he was always so banged up.  It soldiered through it. It certainly hurt his accuracy and placement and arm strength. Up until last night people were getting to see what a healthy Sam looks like throwing. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Haha 3

The one embedded above was a 43 yard pass from the 17 to the opposite 40.  He threw a ball 60 yards?
Not that game, no. They were including YAC.

In one of the previous games he had one that he released at the 15 and it was caught at the opposite 35 for a 50-yd in the air pass.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Hope Sam can recover soon. Wentz now on the non injured Covid list. Most of us know he could beat out Eason. They may very well have to use Sam since Wentz is unvaccinated. 

That’s some pretty one sided assumption thinking to say we know he could beat Eason out with a full game last weekend.  After the second preseason game most were pretty sure it would be Eason and Sam only threw 3 passes before the injury so we really don’t know, he needed a really good game to pass Eason.  This is a good situation for him right now though.  Let the line get figured out for a few weeks before he’s thrown in there to the wolves and once he’s health It’s very likely Wentz will get hurt again and Eason comes in and sucks and Sam gets his shot. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

"So we're very happy about that, very, very happy about that as a team, very happy about that for Sam," Reich said. "So it won't be season-ending. It won't need surgery. Happy for Sam."

Reich did confirm, though, that Jacob Eason will enter the 2021 season as the Colts' backup quarterback.