Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

27 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Now that we are SEC bros I can make these jokes, right guys?

No. Go fuck yourself I hope you lose every fucking game. 

But... say you were to embarass said SEC teams I might chortle at their demise. 

Until I remember how much I hate you.

Holy shit at the teams I'm about to have to start rooting for. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I was responding to “Colt regressed in 2007” which statistically was true (but it was the environment) and was comparing the 2007 team with the 2006 team.

Colt didn’t regress, the oline turned over and went from NFL caliber to shit. Most of those balls were spiked by the d-line since the O- line didn’t engage

Peter King’s FMIA bit on Sam:

WESTFIELD, Ind. — Saw my favorite play from 13 training-camp practices so far here Thursday, executed by the 10th and final quarterback taken in the 2021 draft, throwing to the 32nd wide receiver picked in the 2021 draft. Colts sixth-round QB Sam Ehlinger to Colts seventh-round wideout Mike Strachan. In a feisty practice against the visiting Panthers, from inside the Carolina 5-yard line, Ehlinger looked at his first option, covered; looked at his second option, covered. Ehlinger came back to the back side of the play, where the 6-5, 225-pound Strachan was blanketed by two Panther DBs—both of whom had their hands on him as he trolled the back of the end zone.

“‘Draped’ doesn’t describe it correctly,” Colts coach Frank Reich told me a day later. “In fact, with words, I don’t know how to describe how well-covered Strachan was by those two Panthers. There was no way to get a ball to him.”

Ehlinger threw it anyway, a line drive to nowhere. “I know covered in the NFL is different than covered in college,” said Ehlinger, who played 46 games at Texas. Well, of course it is. This throw, though, just looked, well, not smart. But Ehlinger burned a fastball at Strachan, through various body parts of the two defenders, and the ball just velcroed onto Strachan. Touchdown. “That play is perfectly indicative of Sam’s camp,” Reich said. “He’s been really impressive.”

More at the link:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/15/aaron-rodgers-packers-training-camp-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

So "stay on the point of the argument" like you were clearly incapable of doing when you took a lame shot at an admittedly horrible football program from the last 30 years. 

The only people repping you are olds that are still somehow pissed about the dicking SMU laid on UT in '85.  

Go ahead and beat up the disabled kid. I've suffered through the same shit that you have, Einstein. 

Geez, the bestest longhorn fan for ever and ever is getting a little emotional here.  Condolences.

Tom Hanks Crying GIF

Yeah I think after today it's finally settled. Sam is just a bad to mediocre player who has no business in the NFL. 
Buncha stupid fucks up in here.  

It’s preseason. Let’s not get to sucking each other’s dicks here.

Detroit went undefeated in the preseason in 2008 and then turned in a historically bad season.

Dallas lost every preseason game and won a Super Bowl.

We talkin bout practice.

I hope he sticks around though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Detroit went undefeated in the preseason in 2008 and then turned in a historically bad season.

We talkin bout practice.

What does a team's W/L record in preseason have to do with the fact that Sam is competing for a backup spot on the team? This is almost as stupid a take as the guy who said Sam wasn't an NFL prospect despite being drafted. Continue trying to suck your own dick while telling yourself you're smarter than everyone else though.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

We talkin bout practice.

We're not evaluating the whole team and their post season chances.  This is about Sam's play earning him a roster spot

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bar said:

This is almost as stupid a take as the guy who said Sam wasn't an NFL prospect despite being drafted.

yeah that's what i said. i know that trying to keep this thread grounded in reality is almost certainly an exercise in futility, but we can try again.

how many solid, entrenched NFL starting QBs are there in the entire world? like 12? maybe one or two more? so then why is it such a "ZOMFG LETS ALL FREAK OUT" take to say that you don't think that Sam will become one of those guys? that you can see him having a long career as a backup, just like Colt McCoy? why does that opinion spark so much outrage? countless people in this thread have compared Sam to Dak Prescott, a Pro Bowl caliber QB, and that's deemed reasonable. but have someone say that they don't foresee Sam becoming one of the 10-15 best QBs in the world and it's meltdown time? come on guys. there's being a fan, and then there's blatant homerism, and *then* there's whatever this thread is. 

oh yeah one final note- please stop acting like anyone who doesn't think that Sam will become an All Pro QB is out here saying that he sucks and that we hate him. i don't think that Andrew Jones is going to become an All Star SG in the NBA and i still love the hell outta that kid and want him to reach all of his goals and dreams. predicting how a kid will do in the pros has nothing to do with what you actually want and hope for that kid and his career.

• Fuck You 4

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah that's what i said. i know that trying to keep this thread grounded in reality is almost certainly an exercise in futility, but we can try again.

how many solid, entrenched NFL starting QBs are there in the entire world? like 12? maybe one or two more? so then why is it such a "ZOMFG LETS ALL FREAK OUT" take to say that you don't think that Sam will become one of those guys? that you can see him having a long career as a backup, just like Colt McCoy? why does that opinion spark so much outrage? countless people in this thread have compared Sam to Dak Prescott, a Pro Bowl caliber QB, and that's deemed reasonable. but have someone say that they don't foresee Sam becoming one of the 10-15 best QBs in the world and it's meltdown time? come on guys. there's being a fan, and then there's blatant homerism, and *then* there's whatever this thread is. 

oh yeah one final note- please stop acting like anyone who doesn't think that Sam will become an All Pro QB is out here saying that he sucks and that we hate him. i don't think that Andrew Jones is going to become an All Star SG in the NBA and i still love the hell outta that kid and want him to reach all of his goals and dreams. predicting how a kid will do in the pros has nothing to do with what you actually want and hope for that kid and his career.

eyeroll-43.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

You seem like you don't take criticism very well. Your argument sucks and has since the very beginning and your opinion doesn't make a shit to anyone on this entire forum.

Sam got drafted and just performed well in his first appearance in the NFL. So yeah he's NFL caliber. So maybe get the fuck over it and admit that your shitty take was shitty. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

You seem like you don't take criticism very well. Your argument sucks and has since the very beginning and your opinion doesn't make a shit to anyone on this entire forum.

Sam got drafted and just performed well in his first appearance in the NFL. So yeah he's NFL caliber. So maybe get the fuck over it and admit that your shitty take was shitty. 

yeah, i'm not the one flipping his shit over criticism, in fact i'm the only here who isn't doing a poor job of handling criticism. but other than that, great point. 

as for admitting that my take was shitty, i will gladly do so as soon as Sam has established himself as a solid starting QB in the NFL. until that happens, my opinion is just as valid as yours is. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

how many solid, entrenched NFL starting QBs are there in the entire world? like 12? maybe one or two more? so then why is it such a "ZOMFG LETS ALL FREAK OUT" take to say that you don't think that Sam will become one of those guys?

That's rich coming from the guy who freaks the fuck out any time someone doesn't agree with him that Rick Barnes walks on water. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, i'm not the one flipping his shit over criticism, in fact i'm the only here who isn't doing a poor job of handling criticism. but other than that, great point. 

as for admitting that my take was shitty, i will gladly do so as soon as Sam has established himself as a solid starting QB in the NFL. until that happens, my opinion is just as valid as yours is. 

Your requirement is that Sam be a starting QB for an NFL team in order to be NFL caliber? By your logic, Colt is a scrub. Meanwhile, back in reality, Colt has a longer NFL career than anyone from his draft class, has earned millions in that duration, and has played for five different teams. But because he's not a starter he's not NFL caliber. 

Do you see how fucking stupid your argument sounds? 

12 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

Your requirement is that Sam be a starting QB for an NFL team in order to be NFL caliber? 

dude seriously, if you can't keep up with what we're talking about then just stop posting. my original post was in response to someone else saying that Sam will become a solid starter in the NFL. that is the specific subject at hand. i even re-posted a screen grab of *exactly* what i was responding to. Sam becoming an entrenched NFL starter is not "my requirement", it's literally the topic of discussion, brought up by a completely different poster. besides which,  i already brought up Colt and said that i could see Sam having a similar career to him. so what are you even talking about? you're just over here raging over absolutely nothing. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

Same 11:00 motherfucking ESPN anchors last night (John Anderson and Michael Eaves) who disparaged Whataburger also bagged on Sam.  After his pick, "That was very Longhornish..."  No mention of his good throws or his come from behind victory.  Assholes.

• Hook 'Em 5

Sam has the tools to play in the NFL.  He has the tools to start, albeit I don't see him as a recurring "starter".  It's THE single most difficult job is all of sports.  Out of 32 starters, only a handful are truly gifted and can take over a game or keep you in it when everything else breaks down.  These guys are unicorns.  

I had my doubts early, but I'm a ride or die with Sam and will not underestimate him again!  Not to get back into the Eyes of Texas, but this took fucking balls right here.  People talk about true character.  This fucker has it in spades and that delayed draw on the 2pt conversion to tie the game @ 18-18....I was so happy to see him get his shot and make the most out of the time in the game.  

xgbyq1gqbes51.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Same 11:00 motherfucking ESPN anchors last night (John Anderson and Michael Eaves) who disparaged Whataburger also bagged on Sam.  After his pick, "That was very Longhornish..."  No mention of his good throws or his come from behind victory.  Assholes.

Bet they have a "hot take" on Justin Fields debut for the Bears.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Haters gonna hate. But hating on Whataburger is like hating on Miller High Life. Yeah, it's not for everyone but if you act like it's terrible and not deserving of all the fans it has you are very much in the minority and most people will immediately question your judgment going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sporting news grades the debuts of all 10 QBs taken in this years draft:

“The ballad of Ehlinger in the NFL has begun with a bang. The Colts feel good about Carson Wentz starting in Week 1 for Frank Reich, but they must feel better that Ehlinger gives them a preferred fallback for their offense than second-year man Jacob Eason. Ehlinger was an inspiring playmaker to lead a great comeback against the Panthers, fearless in both throwing and when taking off and running. He showed the necessary toughness and proved he can do much more to complement Reich's run-heavy offense than Eason can.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-rookie-quarterback-grades-preseason-debuts/1cdsk8jxzvg3h1kdj4oc7uaw28

Obviously, we need to see how well he does in the Minny game but when you think of how Trask, Mills, and Mond were selected so early compared to Sam he outkicked his coverage. 😁🤘🏼 10.5 yds per attempt. Hopefully, that was the last INT we will see from him. If he has a great start Saturday it will make  it harder for the Colts. I think he will only get better and better because of his drive and preparation. He wants a spot.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

No.  But it'll still be fun to watch Sam show up Mond and hear the ags wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The best part is the number of Ags who genuinely hate Mond because he wanted the Sully statue taken down.  Will be interesting to see how that group of mouth breathers does when he is faced up against the axis of evil lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

Your requirement is that Sam be a starting QB for an NFL team in order to be NFL caliber? By your logic, Colt is a scrub. Meanwhile, back in reality, Colt has a longer NFL career than anyone from his draft class, has earned millions in that duration, and has played for five different teams. But because he's not a starter he's not NFL caliber. 

Do you see how fucking stupid your argument sounds? 

So...someone needs to define "NFL caliber"  to someone.

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So...someone needs to define "NFL caliber"  to someone.

My definition would be pretty simple. 

1) Did the person being discussed get drafted?

2) Did the person being discussed participate in a game against an opponent?

If yes, BAM they're NFL caliber. 

Let's not act like just getting TO the NFL isn't an amazing accomplishment in and of itself. Less than 1% of college players make it there. So, yeah, Ehlinger is a 1%er and therefore NFL caliber. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Dayum, that's impressive.

Not really.... The 2010 draft class is an epic bust...

13 QBs taken.  Three never made a roster and a fourth never threw a pass.  Another 4 all had less than 250 yards passing and never threw a touchdown so that's 8.

Of the 5 that actually threw a TD you have John Skelton, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, and Colt.

Colt has actually been the only QB from his draft class since 2019 as Bradford's last year was 2018 and everyone else was done by 2015.

The total stats for the entire class is 34,965 yards, 172 TD, and 144 INT.  As a group they have about as many yards as Fitzmagic but about 50 fewer TDs.  It has to probably be one of if not the most busty QB years...

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Not really.... The 2010 draft class is an epic bust...

13 QBs taken.  Three never made a roster and a fourth never threw a pass.  Another 4 all had less than 250 yards passing and ever threw a touchdown so that's 8.

Of the 5 that actually threw a TD you have John Skelton, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, and Colt.

Colt has actually been the only QB from his draft class since 2019 as Bradford's last year was 2018 and everyone else was done by 2015.

The total stats for the entire class is 34,965 yards, 172 TD, and 144 INT.  As a group they have about as many yards as Fitzmagic but about 50 fewer TDs.  It has to probably be one of if not the most busty QB years...

Jimmy Clausen, the Sweet Dee of Notre Dame. now there's a name i haven't thought of in a while. 

On 8/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, Hornlover said:

I guess it's preseason, and they let the third string cheerleaders take the field. Or maybe the standards for cheerleaders are way lower in the midwest?

twiiter_screenshot.thumb.png.06d6412e76cb01f3d8fb6634ec1a99a4.png

I would say that the three ladies look like they are on hiatus from their families' farms in the Amish country that Letterman used to always ask his mother about.

And although their bodies are not even Indianapolis 7s, this one in particular shows an eagerness that you like to encounter on a road trip.

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 5.55.09 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

This thread is such a shitshow already thought I'd add to it.

I was at a bar today. Playing pool. Lining up a shot in a friendly doubles game with a couple girls involved. Dude at the table next to me sees my shirt (the Rose Bowl 2006 polo) and declares "When was Texas ever in the Rose Bowl!" Soon after he announces himself as a Georgia fan. We exchange common pleasantries such as "you don't have a title in 40 years", "We beat your ass last meeting" (and from the other side) "you won't be shit in the SEC", "I'm an insecure pussy that has never seen my team win a national championship" (alright maybe that last one was made up). 

This fuck - swear to God - comes over to my table and hits my cue ball. Fortunately that was as ugly as is got as I was sober enough to not rock him in the fucking face but it was an absolutely stunning display of classlessness. 

I swear some of you thought I was kidding or posturing when I made comments in the realignment thread like "fuck the entire SEC they can all fuck off we're about to own their entire conference" but maybe you just need more interactions like the one that I just had this afternoon. 

They are a bunch of mouth breathing, tunnel vision fucks that are way overdue for some ass whippings. @ChiTownDoc feel free to join in - these hicks need a reality check. 

I almost wish I was little bit more out of it to rock that piece of trash in the jaw. 

But, you know, no one's banned from a bar or in jail or icing a jaw so fuck it.

One of the benefits of being 6'2, 230lbs and black is that this shit rarely ever happens to me. Most people would've cracked a couple jokes and kept it moving.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

One of the benefits of being 6'2, 230lbs and black is that this shit rarely ever happens to me. Most people would've cracked a couple jokes and kept it moving.

Don’t worry bro, I got your back.  I’ll be standing there talking shit behind you then not doing anything when things get real. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, Hornlover said:

I guess it's preseason, and they let the third string cheerleaders take the field. Or maybe the standards for cheerleaders are way lower in the midwest?

twiiter_screenshot.thumb.png.06d6412e76cb01f3d8fb6634ec1a99a4.png

I took a pic of this UMinn game a few years ago when I had it paused. Not sure why I kept it, other than for Surly’s viewing pleasure  

6-B3-F6-CDC-EBFA-493-A-A07-D-92-A9620130

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

I've always liked Sam, he's a warrrior, but I never thought he had the accuracy/arm strength/quick release needed to play in the NFL. Seeing him today he was almost unrecognizable. There was no hesitation, his throwing motion looks better and he was right on the money. I still think he may struggle with consistancy but he looks like he might be able to make a career of it, as a backup like Colt has. That is not a bad gig. The fact that he improved this quickly is infuriating really. It just demonstrates what a fraud Tom Herman is. We will never know what Sam might have acomplished with competant coaching the last four years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah I'm not even quite as big as you are, and gringo, but I often wonder if my size has kept some assholes from fucking with me...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah I'm not even quite as big as you are, and gringo, but I often wonder if my size has kept some assholes from fucking with me...

Yeah, that dude that @ztejas had a run in with are assholes who only prey on people when the proper conditions are met. He either has some boys with him, is in an environment where fighting would get broken up quickly, or is dealing with someone smaller than him. Anyone can be an asshole, the hard part is going through life without being one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

I've always liked Sam, he's a warrrior, but I never thought he had the accuracy/arm strength/quick release needed to play in the NFL. Seeing him today he was almost unrecognizable. There was no hesitation, his throwing motion looks better and he was right on the money. I still think he may struggle with consistancy but he looks like he might be able to make a career of it, as a backup like Colt has. That is not a bad gig. The fact that he improved this quickly is infuriating really. It just demonstrates what a fraud Tom Herman is. We will never know what Sam might have acomplished with competant coaching the last four years.

Here is the deal my friend. First, let me go back to the beginning and why I was so against Tom Herman coming here.

Tom Herman's(Urban Meyer's) offense is very heavy on the QB carrying the football. It needs it in order to be dynamic. That said, the kind of athlete you need at the QB position for it to be special is a rarity. Herman STUMBLED into Greg Ward Jr at UH. It was complete luck. Ward had been playing receiver even though he was a QB in high school. Undersized guy, but had all the tools to be special in an offense like that. The coach prior to him Tony Levine, had just figured out his best QB was playing wide receiver, and inserted him into the starting lineup. Tom Herman walks in and here is this kid tailor made for his playbook. If not for that none of us know who Tom Herman even is.

However, if you are not an elite athlete not only does it take away a huge chunk of the offensive effectiveness, but it gets the QB pretty beat up along the way. So what you are seeing is a Sam Ehlinger who is completely healthy. When you get popped in the ribs, and then try to make throws, no matter how tough you are that's going to affect how the ball comes out. To put it in perspective, Mac Jones(Bama QB) carried the ball 51 times over 2 years. Sam carried the ball 554 times over 4. Sam was constantly playing nicked up, which turns ordinary throws into adventures. I do not know what Sam will be in the NFL, but I do know we will see a far better Sam than we did with Herman.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1