Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

The Colts really don't have any confidence in Sam, even reaching out to Philip Rivers for cryin' out loud!  So why did they draft him?  He's not going to last long there and should prepare to find another team who appreciates his talents.

There most likely isn’t a rookie qb in the league that a team would be comfortable with in this situation.

27 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

There most likely isn’t a rookie qb in the league that a team would be comfortable with in this situation.

rookie QB Mac Jones replaced Tom Brady. Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson started the bulk of the games; Trey Lance started 1 game.  Sam should be ready mentally and physically.  Indy reaching out to retired Philip Rivers speaks volumes. 

14 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

rookie QB Mac Jones replaced Tom Brady. Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson started the bulk of the games; Trey Lance started 1 game.  Sam should be ready mentally and physically.  Indy reaching out to retired Philip Rivers speaks volumes. 

Yeah.  I mean you going to tell me that if 4 first round picks are given an opportunity under vastly different circumstances, then it is clearly a sign that the Colts don't believe in their 6th rounder because they reached out to future HoF QB during a playoff run.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Sam was a 6th round draft pick and he's their 2nd string QB now. That isn't common. Indy not wanting to potentially rely on an unproven rookie when they are probably a legit AFC contender says nothing about Sam's readiness or who he is as a player. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Those guys are first round picks expected to start in the NFL. Sam is not. Reich has a ton of confidence in Sam, and cut Eason. But this isn’t a normal game. Colts are in a do or die situation right now. I don’t blame them for kicking the tires on Rivers or getting Wentz back. Sam is in a good spot with Reich. But he should always keep his ears open for a better opportunity. 

41 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Bad Hair Day Love GIF by Danny Casale

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Deej said:

Indy understands you just can't expect to roll a rookie out there and get the 57 yards passing that Wentz is going to give you.

Wentz has had a nice bounce back year. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Those guys are first round picks expected to start in the NFL. Sam is not. Reich has a ton of confidence in Sam, and cut Eason. But this isn’t a normal game. Colts are in a do or die situation right now. I don’t blame them for kicking the tires on Rivers or getting Wentz back. Sam is in a good spot with Reich. But he should always keep his ears open for a better opportunity. 

Sam was drafted as a QB2 only, not a starter obviously.  So that argument about top 1 picks has no relevance in this situation which is EXACTLY designed for a QB2.  Going for Rivers is very very desperate and we'd laugh at the move if Qb2 was Spencer Rattler not our guy. 

The reality is historically it is unlikely Sam will ever be named a starter for a team game 1.  the fact that Indy is actually rolling with him as the backup to Wentz is pretty good for Sam.

He will have to do it the old fashioned way.  wait for an injury or a complete failure by a starter and make his move.

I'm rooting for him.  Regardless of where he grew up the kid has had a pretty rough go of it.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Sam was drafted as a QB2 only, not a starter obviously.  So that argument about top 1 picks has no relevance in this situation which is EXACTLY designed for a QB2.  Going for Rivers is very very desperate and we'd laugh at the move if Qb2 was Spencer Rattler not our guy. 

You’re the idiot who mentioned the first round guys. Why don’t you remember where you are in your own argument?

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

You’re the idiot who mentioned the first round guys. Why don’t you remember where you are in your own argument?

the question was rookie qbs , not where they were drafted. Scroll up if you need to.  Bottom line is that a healthy Qb2 plays , not QBRetiredHOFertobe. This is the common mode of operations.  I think Sam gets picked up by another team soon. 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the question was rookie qbs , not where they were drafted. Scroll up if you need to.  Bottom line is that a healthy Qb2 plays , not QBRetiredHOFertobe. This is the common mode of operations.  I think Sam gets picked up by another team soon. 

I’m not going to scroll up to see what I already know: you picked the highest draft picks and compared them to Sam. You made an idiotic argument. Good day sir. 

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

The Colts aren’t letting Sam goes easily at this point.

Rivers was a Colt under Reich.  They could have reached out as insurance.  Maybe Reich and Rivers speak on occasion.  Who knows.

LMAO at the idea that it's a sleight against Sam when the Colts reach out to a long-term NFL starter who is borderline HOF material.

The idea is to start the best available QB, not start the guy you slotted at #2 when the season kicked off.  Are you suggesting Rivers should have been QB2 in August?  You do know he retired AND left the door open for a late 2021 appearance?

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:23 PM, Horn80 said:

Wentz got a lucky TD play and still lost at home with an opportunity to clinch playoff spot.  After he produced a dud first quarter, don’t get why Colts didn’t at least give Sam a shot in 2nd quarter.  

Because he's a low drafted rookie without an experience.  Wentz is a cry baby and Reich pretty much put his reputation on the line with Wentz.  Regardless, any HC who did such a thing would have gotten destroyed for panicking unless the Colts would have responded and won.  If Indy doesn't backdoor their way in, it could get ugly in Indy.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Because he's a low drafted rookie without an experience.  Wentz is a cry baby and Reich pretty much put his reputation on the line with Wentz.  Regardless, any HC who did such a thing would have gotten destroyed for panicking unless the Colts would have responded and won.  If Indy doesn't backdoor their way in, it could get ugly in Indy.

Sam wins both games. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Think it is ugly now.  Considering the Colts gave up 1st and 3rd round picks to Eagles plus his salary of $20-23 million over next few years only to lose to 2-14 Jags with playoff appearance on the line. 

6 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Wow, $32 million.  Stand corrected.

It's actually 28/26/27m for the next few years, not 32m.  That considers his signing bonus which has already been paid out by the Eagles.  Regardless, Wentz may end up costing Reich his job.  I don't think that'll happen and there will be another scapegoat but it's possible.  If they don't make the playoffs next year, both are gone.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's actually 28/26/27m for the next few years, not 32m.  That considers his signing bonus which has already been paid out by the Eagles.  Regardless, Wentz may end up costing Reich his job.  I don't think that'll happen and there will be another scapegoat but it's possible.  If they don't make the playoffs next year, both are gone.

He reminds me of Cousins as both are big time chokers.

• 3 weeks later...