Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

I think other teams can poach protected practice squad players as long as they are signing them to their active roster.  ie. as a QB2
No, they can't. This is a new Covid rule from last year or the year before. I had never heard of it til I did a recent deep dive on Sam's situation.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2021/9/1/22651355/2021-nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility-size-roster-cuts-covid-19-coronavirus

34 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:
Yep. I don’t think you can hide him on a practice squad at this point. He’s either QB2 or traded unless they want to carry 3 QB on the active roster. If I’m Indy he is QB2 no question and I’m grooming him behind Ryan for a year or two with a shot at becoming QB1. Worst case you have a quality backup, which can’t be underestimated, ahem Dallas.

As I understand it, you can protect 4 players a week with no max on an individual from you practice squad now. So if he gets on, he probably stays on. Still will go through waivers if he doesn't make the 53 man roster.

If he does not make the Colts 53 I think he gets picked up on waivers by another team for their active roster. That’s what I mean when I say they won’t be able to hide him on the practice squad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I mean.. $3M a year isn't bad for either side... Heck Cleveland paying Case Keenum $3.5M this season.  (incredibly I saw Keenum has made over $44M in career earnings 🤯 )

But they have a guy that's better than him that was already on the roster. 

48 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:
Yep. I don’t think you can hide him on a practice squad at this point. He’s either QB2 or traded unless they want to carry 3 QB on the active roster. If I’m Indy he is QB2 no question and I’m grooming him behind Ryan for a year or two with a shot at becoming QB1. Worst case you have a quality backup, which can’t be underestimated, ahem Dallas.

As I understand it, you can protect 4 players a week with no max on an individual from you practice squad now. So if he gets on, he probably stays on. Still will go through waivers if he doesn't make the 53 man roster.

12 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

If he does not make the Colts 53 I think he gets picked up on waivers by another team for their active roster. That’s what I mean when I say they won’t be able to hide him on the practice squad.

I'm not sure if he goes to waivers either way. I would imagine he does. The link fear provided isn't super clear on that. 

I'm with you in that I think he finds a 53 if he goes to waivers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

She’s dead, Jim.

The movie Hot Lips, yeah.

But the TV Hot Lips is still kickin'.

Both, in their time, were drop-dead gorgeous.

Oh, and Hook'em, Sam. I would fucking love to see Indy dump him into Dallas' lap. If the idiot owner and coach can get together and let him run the game when Dak has his mid-season sprained finger and can't go for a couple of weeks. Wally Pipp that fucker.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

He’s thumbing his nose at the shitty take that Sam was a fullback playing QB, was that Patterson? 

Who the fuck knows. Anyone that doesn't respect Sam at this point is a piece of shit human being. He's jousting scarecrows with that tweet. 

And I thought he was referring to some discourse surrounding Sam going to the draft about whether he might be better suited playing a different position. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Seriously. 

I do NOT understand this signing. WHY did Indy not think Sam was a solid QB2?

I think it was a unique case in that Reich, of all coaches, has some pretty significant experience with Foles. But with Ryan and Foles, Indy has two old QB's. I think they will carry 3 QBs, but if not Foles will be the odd man out. Regardless, I don't worry about Sam. He will be on a 53 man roster this year.

Edited by Blotto

Did any of you Surlys know that in Season 2, Episode 12 of M*A*S*H, Trapper treats a soldier in the post op room who saved 10 of his mates from certain death. The young man tries to give credit to others, but it’s apparent that he’s the true hero. The soldier’s name? PFC Sammy Erlanger. Coincidence?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1