Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Best possible news for Sam and his development. They have taken the long term path with him and that’s cool. Seriously developing him. Hopefully, Reich and Ballard will still be with the Colts after the season. I’m watching to see if they keep Strachan. He’s a WR with tons of upside. The fear was if they kept Sam on the roster they’d lose him or one or two other players that people are pretty high on. So that’s great! I was giving a presentation at work to my bosses during all this so just now winding down from all that but this is awesome. Yay!  I’ll try not to be more annoying than usual today. I can get a Sam Colts jersey now…

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Best possible news for Sam and his development. They have taken the long term path with him and that’s cool. Seriously developing him. Hopefully, Reich and Ballard will still be with the Colts after the season. I’m watching to see if they keep Strachan. He’s a WR with tons of upside. The fear was if they kept Sam on the roster they’d lose him or one or two other players that people are pretty high on. So that’s great! I was giving a presentation at work to my bosses during all this so just now winding down from all that but this is awesome. Yay!  I’ll try not to be more annoying than usual today. I can get a Sam Colts jersey now…

Starting QBs will unavoidably get injured this season.  Sam's contract will be at it's peak trade value this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Would have kinda liked to see Sams market value against Kellen Monds. Just for shit, and giggles. And aggy tears. 

We'll get to see Sam's in two years.  And Mond's is standing at $0 currently.

On 8/29/2022 at 6:18 PM, nineliveslost said:

I'm just confused by the craziness. I am not pro Nicole or Neg Nicole, but for fucks sake she fits right in with the rest of us assholes. Yea, ALL of us assholes.

Who gives a fuck if she is Sam crazy or does/doesn't show tits (I am a fan of tits by the way)

Sam is fucking lighting it up in preseason. He is a Horn. He was one of the very few bright spots over the last DECADE. Read that again. over the last decade. Fuck yea Nicole's crazy over him. We all should be. Sam gave it his all, even while throwing his body against the wall over and over again. He got fucking up and kept swinging.

Good for Sam and good for Texas. Good for Nicole or anyone else who wants to trumpet a Horn that gave it his best shot and might become a starter. Who cares if she over does it and who cares if she does or doesn't show tits (I am a huge fan of tits). 

Hook'em

P.S. fuck Tom

But what are your thoughts on tits?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

"way down the road" lmfao Ryan has a season and a half left in him at best. Brady is warping everyone's baseline. 

I mean - that said - Ryan did throw almost 4,000 yards last season. On top of a blistering 20/12 TD/INT, 6.8 AYA and 46.1 QBR. 

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

"way down the road" lmfao Ryan has a season and a half left in him at best. Brady is warping everyone's baseline. 

I mean - that said - Ryan did throw almost 4,000 yards last season. On top of a blistering 20/12 TD/INT, 6.8 AYA and 46.1 QBR. 

He also had a really shitty team.  The Colts could be good this year.

Just like last year, then Jacksonville took a big ‘ol shit on them and that underachieving pissant Wentz. 

I watched some of the third quarter of TB-Indy on the NFL Network the other night, and it was the Colts’ broadcast and they did that annoying thing a lot of local markets do in the preseason and interviewed someone instead of describing the action ( at least they showed all the plays, because it was Sam’s FG drive). 

The interview was with Irsay, and they asked him something like how excited he was about having such a great veteran like Matt Ryan in charge. Irsay then rambled for about three minutes, and didn’t sound that pleased at all with Ryan, but finally realized it sounded like he didn’t like Ryan, so he ended it with something like, “yeah, Matt understands what’s expected of him and he’s a great addition.” It was really something. He wasn’t asked about Ehlinger, so no opportunity for him to compare him (again) to Brady or Montana 🤣

Interesting comments from Ballard (it’s pretty much everything I thought or had been reading but it’s cool to see direct quotes and not from some “source/sources.”)

“Ehlinger completed 24 of 29 passes for 289 yards (10 yards/attempt) with four touchdowns – good for a passer rating of 147.8 – and rushed six times for 71 yards with a touchdown over three preseason games.

So the explanation is simple: Ehlinger absolutely earned his spot on the 53-man roster.

"He played his way on," Ballard said. "He's a good player. He played good. We had a feeling he would because he works so hard at it and he's so diligent in his process of how he prepares. Then he takes feedback really well. When we talked after the season about things he needed to get better at, you tell him and he goes and works at it. We think Sam has a really bright future."

One of those things the Colts told Ehlinger to work on was his arm strength, and at the recommendation of Ballard, the second-year Texas quarterback started working with the renowned quarterback guru in March.

"I'm just scratching the surface," Ehlinger said after the Colts' second preseason game, in which he launched a 50-yard touchdown to wide receiver Dezmon Patmon. "It's kind of a two-year plan to kind of - there's a lot of neurological things that I'm fighting. When you're out on the field, and the chaos around you increases, naturally, you're going to revert back to whatever your nerve wirings in your brain want you to do when you say, 'throw the football.' So, I'm fighting what I've been doing for years and thousands of reps. It takes about two years to break those things down. I definitely feel like I have made progress in that aspect and then also in the offense. I'm very comfortable with the offense and getting comfortable with defenses."

Maybe carrying three quarterbacks isn't how teams would usually go about constructing a 53-man roster; teams usually don't have three quarterbacks as good as Matt Ryan, Nick Foles and Ehlinger.

So when Ballard was asked if he thought cutting Ehlinger – and exposing him to the waiver wire – would've meant losing him, he quickly replied: "I have no question."

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-shaquille-leonard-sam-ehlinger-offensive-line-trevor-denbow

I am glad to see he’s working hard to overhaul his mechanics. He would have likely been cut had he not been doing all this work since March. I think that’s why they brought Foles in (well that and the Reich connection) but it’s because they weren’t sure where Sam would be from a progress standpoint. It’s cool to see his work and football IQ really pay off for him. I don’t think they believed he’d make such a quick turnaround. I think at best they were thinking 2 year project and if he isn’t progressing then cut him or keep on PS. Now it’s more like…shit we better put him on the 53 man roster because he’ll get taken from us. I’ve no doubt if he stays healthy and keeps doing what he’s been doing since March he’s well on the path to being a starter or at the very least beating out Foles. Which many have thought he was close to doing or he did outright.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...

Anent the recent (10/6/2022) Broncos-Colts game, widely regarded as one of the all-time shitfests:

Many Colts fans were apparently surprised - and angered - that neither Foles nor Sam was considered as a possible sub. The only saving grace for Colts' HC Reich was that the team won the game, mostly because of the incredibly horrible play by Denver $50,000,000 QB Wilson. I saw Foles sitting on the bench, idly watching the game, and he appeared to have Sam sitting near him, in civvies, doing likewise. Someone commented that Sam was listed as "inactive", whatever that means. Winning the game or no, it looked like Reich was just following some script handed to him by the Colts' VP of Binder Preparation.

What's the story on the inactive status for Sam?

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Anent the recent (10/6/2022) Broncos-Colts game, widely regarded as one of the all-time shitfests:

Many Colts fans were apparently surprised - and angered - that neither Foles nor Sam was considered as a possible sub. The only saving grace for Colts' HC Reich was that the team won the game, mostly because of the incredibly horrible play by Denver $50,000,000 QB Wilson. I saw Foles sitting on the bench, idly watching the game, and he appeared to have Sam sitting near him, in civvies, doing likewise. Someone commented that Sam was listed as "inactive", whatever that means. Winning the game or no, it looked like Reich was just following some script handed to him by the Colts' VP of Binder Preparation.

What's the story on the inactive status for Sam?

Sam is the QB3 right now. I believe it is common that QB3 does not dress for games given limited number of spots that can dress on gameday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Sam is the QB3 right now. I believe it is common that QB3 does not dress for games given limited number of spots that can dress on gameday.

I was worried maybe he got dinged... so, it's something the team can set or not, right? He could be "active" next game if they wanted. Got it.

I think I'd be looking for a situation where I could get at least a look or three. I have not been impressed with Ryan, at all, and Foles hasn't shown much. Well, things will play out, I guess. You'd think that a team like Denver, on the hook for $50,000,000 for R. Wilson for this year, and apparently another $200,000,000 to go, would be throwing far lesser piles of cash around looking for a better use of the big bucks.

9 hours ago, Modessit said:

The fanbase is speculating that it's because both RBs Taylor and Hines have been ruled out and they need a running threat option if necessary.

That might have played into it. My speculation remains that he's potentially the best QB on the roster and less of a known quantity than Foles and Ryan. 

Wonder if they put him in some RPO looks or jumbo packages and see how he does. Sort of a "we're not benching you Matt, just trying some stuff out"

Just feels like him winning that job is inevitable. 

That might have played into it. My speculation remains that he's potentially the best QB on the roster and less of a known quantity than Foles and Ryan. 
Wonder if they put him in some RPO looks or jumbo packages and see how he does. Sort of a "we're not benching you Matt, just trying some stuff out"
Just feels like him winning that job is inevitable. 

He is definitely the best on that roster. The only thing making the staff blind to it is money and pride