Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

At this point, nothing would surprise me. Sam could get traded, put on the practice squad or simply cut.
After all, this is the league where geniuses just gave Kurt Cousins an additional, guaranteed $35M and DeAndre Hopkins was traded for a second round pick and a washed-up running back that Arizona was planning on cutting!!!! 

You’re right. I was wrongly assuming executives weren’t complete morons.

I’m still probably correct, but one should not assume with NFL decision makers in charge.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My son graduated from college this May and he’s NEVER seen the Cowboys in the NFC championship game! That timeline should pretty much put some perspective on the mediocre last two decades.

The Cowboys are starting (have been) to make it tough to root for - IMO. But alas Jerry is making $$$ hand over first, so I digress.

Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

My son graduated from college this May and he’s NEVER seen the Cowboys in the NFC championship game! That timeline should pretty much put some perspective on the mediocre last two decades.

The Cowboys are starting (have been) to make it tough to root for - IMO. But alas Jerry is making $$$ hand over first, so I digress.

Hook’em!

What thread am I on?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

You’re right. I was wrongly assuming executives weren’t complete morons.

I’m still probably correct, but one should not assume with NFL decision makers in charge.

I hope you are, but it's truly amazing how many morons get employed in the NFL. Here's a few fave moves:

• The Texans made Bill O'Brien their coach and GM. Bill O'Brien. 
  • Mike Ditka traded away his entire draft picks for Ricky Williams.
  • Jeff Fisher, after running the Titans into the ground, getting hired by the Rams, where he happily ruined the careers of even more QB's
  • The Cleveland Browns 

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no NFL GM, but it's not hard to see that guy has "it".  I'd suggest he has more "it" than Nick Foles does.  But, it won't matter, he'll get cut and end up down on some other roster.

He’s not getting cut

16 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Nothing we didn’t already know but Gotdam Sam got that dawg in him.  Don’t have an NFL team and don’t really typically care to watch but have a feeling Sam might change that.

I’m not sure closetojumping knows. Called him Sam I Am and Mehlinger for long periods of his career here. In this very thread. 

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I want to go find Herman and kick his ass. If he’d used Sam correctly maybe Sam wins the Heisman. Maybe he gets drafted in a higher round like Baker or JFF. But he’s not 6’3” or the pro typical QB size that is most coveted. He wasn’t seen as polished despite all his experience and leadership. It’s clear the Colts have been working with Sam and that Sam has been working very hard. Colts got him in Round 6. At least the ownership and management really like him. I know Reich has said glowing things about him. I’d love to see him defy the odds. Not become a bench warmer thought that’s a nice paycheck. 

E12B97B3-F058-497C-A698-97CEB323BBFD.thumb.png.f134c641f58fe5a96cf3991b7c4be027.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

calm down. nobody said Sam couldn't have a great preseason (and he was outstanding), but he hasn't done anything yet, and he would be the first one to tell you that. the truth is he still may not even make the Colts' 53 man roster. he's still got a long way to go before he's truly made it in the NFL. that said, this preseason performance has guaranteed that someone, whether it's Indy or not, is going to find a spot for Sam on their roster. he really could not have done better for himself this preseason, and he's set himself up very nicely for an opportunity to start climbing up somebody's depth chart. 

Shut the fuck up Derka. 

Oh boy….here we go (this Twitter typically has good info so they aren’t some rando spouting out stuff…)

I’d prefer Sam stay with Reich one more year or at least have a chance to be the starter for the Colts. But that would be outstanding if some other team wants him bad enough to make a trade and could possibly give him a better shot to play. I just hope it’s a stable organization with  good coaching and a decent QB room. 

ofcourse the Colts could just keep him but that would mean no Foles…I would think.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Oh boy….here we go (this Twitter typically has good info so they aren’t some rando spouting out stuff…)

I’d prefer Sam stay with Reich one more year or at least have a chance to be the starter for the Colts. But that would be outstanding if some other team wants him bad enough to make a trade and could possibly give him a better shot to play. I just hope it’s a stable organization with  good coaching and a decent QB room. 

ofcourse the Colts could just keep him but that would mean no Foles…I would think.

He'll get traded to an NFC East team and destroy the Cowboys twice a year. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Colts are in a bind - they gave Foles $4 million guaranteed and take a ~$1.4 million cap charge if he’s cut. 

So there goes their  leverage in any trade negotiations - and they need to move him or else eat Foles’ contract.

Foles’s contract should be irrelevant as it is a sunk cost. If they think Sam is better, cutting Foles and keeping Sam technically saves them money vs. keeping Foles and cutting/trading Sam. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Sam has nice value due to his fantastically cheap rookie contract, plus he's showing really good upside.  They could get more than the 6th round pick they invested in him.  However, the Colts really have to gauge his long term trajectory.  Could he be the answer in a year or two?  They'll look really stupid if he develops into a good starter somewhere else and they're starting from scratch after Ryan.  I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him another year to see how he develops.  He's cheap, so it's really about what other position can they lose a roster spot to. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sam has to clear waivers to make the PS. Another team will pick him up so Colts will keep on their 53 and try to trade him or carry 3 QB on the roster. Foles has no trade value and they were foolish to sign him for that amount. Another instance of Reich’s blind spot for his old super bowl guys.

He needs to be at a place where he can learn from a good coach, and there is an aging veteran. Indy is perfect for that, he can take over for Ryan. Or Denver. Rams. Tampa Bay.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Sam has to clear waivers to make the PS. Another team will pick him up so Colts will keep on their 53 and try to trade him or carry 3 QB on the roster. Foles has no trade value and they were foolish to sign him for that amount. Another instance of Reich’s blind spot for his old super bowl guys.

He needs to be at a place where he can learn from a good coach, and there is an aging veteran. Indy is perfect for that, he can take over for Ryan. Or Denver. Rams. Tampa Bay.

Denver or TB would be nice. Rams will have a need. 

new info?

I guess we’ll see if it’s a good source

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

NFC teams that truly need a QB2: Rams, Lions, Seattle…

Lots of chatter on Twitter that the Rams are putting together something for Sam. I listen to a lot of SiriusXM sports programs and Stafford’s lingering arm (shoulder/elbow…not sure) doesn’t seem like it’s healed and he didn’t do any throwing in the off season. Colts seem to believe that bc they are fairly healthy they can add Sam to the 53 and then wait until things cool down and “sneak” him on the PS. But last night they lost a CB to a season ending injury. Rumors that the Lions are also interested…that I can believe. Sam’s attitude fits with their coach and what they are trying to create there. Seattle has a clusterfuck at QB. 

He might have to wait 5 years for the Rams or Broncos starting job. I think some of the Colts offensive pieces will be there too. He knows the offense at Indy so that’s helpful in knowing where to go with the ball. Foles at most is a temporary barrier to Sam.

Is Reich ultimately willing to give Sam a shot? Thought enough to draft him. Let go of other options in favor of Sam last year yet brought in an old dude, who has done little of late, as a backup to another older dude.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Foles’s contract should be irrelevant as it is a sunk cost. If they think Sam is better, cutting Foles and keeping Sam technically saves them money vs. keeping Foles and cutting/trading Sam. 

that’s an interesting way to look at it, but the calculus won’t be that. It’ll be Foles proven backup status. I really wish people would stop saying they’re gonna cut him. They’re not. They’re trading him or keeping him as the #2, unless they want to roll with 3 QBs on the 53. They’re not gonna make him available to the rest of the league on their practice roster. Irsay and Reich are way too high on him. I suspect he opens the season as the #2 QB behind Ryan. I didn’t realize he was this aged but Ryan is 37. Indy is ideal for Sam. 

I’d love him in Dallas, but Dak is much younger (though overrated and somewhat injury prone so who knows).  I’d love Foles in Dallas. 

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

that’s an interesting way to look at it, but the calculus won’t be that. It’ll be Foles proven backup status. I really wish people would stop saying they’re gonna cut him. They’re not. They’re trading him or keeping him as the #2, unless they want to roll with 3 QBs on the 53. They’re not gonna make him available to the rest of the league on their practice roster. Irsay and Reich are way too high on him. I suspect he opens the season as the #2 QB behind Ryan. I didn’t realize he was this aged but Ryan is 37. Indy is ideal for Sam. 

I’d love him in Dallas, but Dak is much younger (though overrated and somewhat injury prone so who knows).  I’d love Foles in Dallas. 

Jones won’t take Sam. If Dak shits the bed or gets hurt it could create a qb controversy and make Jones look worse (if possible) to the fans. That’s why Jones always keeps a scrub as a back up.  

27 minutes ago, BB65 said:

Jones won’t take Sam. If Dak shits the bed or gets hurt it could create a qb controversy and make Jones look worse (if possible) to the fans. That’s why Jones always keeps a scrub as a back up.  

Let’s let him play in some regular season games before jumping to Dallas won’t sign him because it would create a qb controversy between him and Dak….  Just hope he gets to be backup somewhere. 

They have invested so much in Sam I just can’t see them trading him or allowing a team to snatch him up on waivers.
Case in point from an article last Saturday. Talking about how his mechanics have improved. This is important (why he’s showing such improvement from last year.) he’s been working with QB guru Tom House:

That progress is largely the result of work with throwing guru Tom House. Fans who have arrived early for training camp practices this summer at Grand Park likely have seen Ehlinger and starting quarterback Matt Ryan going through an elaborate stretching routine.

Much of that pre-practice workout is inspired by House, a former Major League pitcher who has become the nation's foremost expert on throwing mechanics.

Ehlinger's working with him at the suggestion of Indianapolis general manager Chris Ballard, and he's about five months into a two-year project to dissect and rebuild his mechanics while adding strength to his shoulder.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/improved-ehlinger-understands-theres-still-105200472.html

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Let’s let him play in some regular season games before jumping to Dallas won’t sign him because it would create a qb controversy between him and Dak….  Just hope he gets to be backup somewhere. 

Maybe that’s why I said could and not would

34 minutes ago, freyguy said:

House worked with Nolan Ryan to prolong his career while he was with the Rangers.

With Sam being healthy and young (with his intangibles-heart, moxie, play smarts etc…backyard ball…) if House is able to work with Sam the full two years (already been at it 5 months—-and the progress is phenomenal) Sam will be a starter. People will get over the fact his not 6’3” or 6’4”. Imagine if Jordan Love or Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence or Trey Young had had the same pre-season. People would be shouting it from every station all the time. 

• Like 1