Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

On 10/2/2018 at 12:39 PM, Lhorn said:

I like Sam. But when there’s another guy better, then too bad for Sam. I agree that Cam sounds like the future. How long has it been since we’ve had a better than average passer?  I’d say Ash was pretty good but is really been Colt. That’s a horrible track record in this league and especially frustrating considering TTU, OSU and OU continually replace elite QBs with more elite QBs. 

Shitty OL does enter into the discussion of poor offense in years past. We saw some of that even during Colt’s tenure as he was frequently running for his life with crappy pass pro. Other teams in the league never fell that far with their OL.

Sam just needs to avoid turnovers and especially convert scores and especially TDs in the red zone.  Texas is Bottom 20 team nationally in red zone scoring percentage and the Texas defense is Top 20 nationally in red zone scoring percentage.  If Texas can stymie a few Oklahoma drives into field goals instead of TDs and Texas can turn a few drives into TDs instead of field goals, that might be the game.  The Oklahoma team last year in my opinion was stronger than the one this year so I think Texas can definitely win the game if they play well.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:34 PM, Not a Sock said:

My follow up question is do we see Herman keep playing Ehlinger even though we have a better QB in the wings out of some sort of loyalty the same way Meyer played Barrett over Haskins last year. We've already kinda seen that with porter is my concern.

1538419006229_sp.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Sam just needs to avoid turnovers and especially convert scores and especially TDs in the red zone.  Texas is Bottom 20 team nationally in red zone scoring percentage and the Texas defense is Top 20 nationally in red zone scoring percentage.  If Texas can stymie a few Oklahoma drives into field goals instead of TDs and Texas can turn a few drives into TDs instead of field goals, that might be the game.  The Oklahoma team last year in my opinion was stronger than the one this year so I think Texas can definitely win the game if they play well.

This is mainly due to getting cute. Just run the ball or run a play similar to CJs catch last week. NO. OPTION.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:47 PM, Lhorn said:

I had a discussion on this thread over the weekend with a poster who seemed very against Sam starting.  So I tried to pin him down as to who should start going forward.  His response was "well you can't change now...," which sounds like a reluctant "Sam" to me.  His response was qualified with the opinion that we should have been getting other guys playing time in the earlier games.  To get them experience or see if they were better I guess.  All very reasonable.  I wanted to see what Shane and the young guys could do leading this offense too.  It seems like Herman decided that with those games in doubt, Sam held the highest chance of closing out the win vs a guy coming in cold off the bench.  Debatable but I think it's a decision the vast majority of coaches would have made in a similar situation.  

I hope we do get far enough ahead of someone that we have the luxury or letting a guy come in cold of the bench and sling it around.  Cam looks very good from what I've seen.  I think where we are now, changing starters would be viewed as odd to the say the least since he's hasn't done anything horrible to give up the job.  The situation would be very different if we were realistically looking at 4-5 wins, then nothing to lose right.  But for now all of the team's major goals are still possible and a fair bit more probable than they were 3 weeks ago.  

Ultimately I'm all for the guy who gives us the best chance of winning being the starter.  "How do you know who's the best because we haven't seen the others play."  Which is correct, but Herman appears to believe we've not had the luxury to experiment yet and I'd have to agree.  

I’d agree with this.  As much as I’ve kicked Sam in the dick over this season and last, he’s winning games.  Equally important, he’s buying time for younger players to redshirt.  This is huge.  We’ve rushed true freshmen into games YOY and it’s never ideal.  We have to break that cycle. 

Shane had his chance.  I just don’t think he has much of an arm.  Now that Sam is stretching the field with a deep ball Shane can’t execute, as well as intermediate throws, no INT's, and using his legs/size to gain yards.  There’s no question anymore.  I have little insight into the mentality of the locked room, but Sam does seem to be “the leader” of the team as well.  Pulling him would be a mistake. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Ehlinger's upside is the Alamo Bowl. 

You mean ceiling?

I bet we get that bowl or better this year. Is Liberty better? What would be the top bowls the big12 could get behind the CFP bowls this year?

Hope it's someone more interesting than Missuri. Bring a B1G school down south to get their ass whooped. All the damn bowls with big 12 are ACC, pac12, and SEC I think.

2 minutes ago, Zavala said:

You mean ceiling?

I bet we get that bowl or better this year. Is Liberty better? What would be the top bowls the big12 could get behind the CFP bowls this year?

Hope it's someone more interesting than Missuri. Bring a B1G school down south to get their ass whooped. All the damn bowls with big 12 are ACC, pac12, and SEC I think.

lack-of-faith-disturbing.gif

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Ehlinger's upside is the Alamo Bowl. 

I'll take it.  For now.  After three pinecone-up-the-ass seasons with Strong....then game after game snatched away at the 11th hour with Sam last year, and MD AGAIN this year.  I'll take it.  Probably match up with Stanford.  Win that game.  It's a huge tailwind going into next season.  More than QB need to change to get to AND WIN a NYD bowl.  So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• Like 1

I am surprised at all the Sam hate.  He is clearly improved from last year and there is no reason to think he won't continue to improve.

Also, he's running the offense that's being called...if you listen to Herman...he believes all the shit he says at his pressers.  He means it when he says stuff like the offense's job is to outscore the other team by at least a point.  You can see this in the play calling.  It gets conservative when we have a two possession lead.

Sam had a good game last year against OU and in the post game I loved it when he said he was looking forward to the next 3 years.  I think Herman plays the long game...its the only way I can rationalize things like Porter getting snaps in contested games.  I think we've been running a little simple because he thought they could get away with that and still beat people while keeping things off tape for as long as possible.  

Sam definitely needs to get his deep ball more accurate but he's come along way in terms of not turning the ball over and with Orlando's defenses, most of the time that is going to be good enough to win.  I'm not sure Sam ever loses this job outside of injury.  Herman clearly loves him and someone's going to have to utterly kill it in practice to unseat him as a returning junior with two letters.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I am surprised at all the Sam hate.  He is clearly improved from last year and there is no reason to think he won't continue to improve.

Also, he's running the offense that's being called...if you listen to Herman...he believes all the shit he says at his pressers.  He means it when he says stuff like the offense's job is to outscore the other team by at least a point.  You can see this in the play calling.  It gets conservative when we have a two possession lead.

Sam had a good game last year against OU and in the post game I loved it when he said he was looking forward to the next 3 years.  I think Herman plays the long game...its the only way I can rationalize things like Porter getting snaps in contested games.  I think we've been running a little simple because he thought they could get away with that and still beat people while keeping things off tape for as long as possible.  

Sam definitely needs to get his deep ball more accurate but he's come along way in terms of not turning the ball over and with Orlando's defenses, most of the time that is going to be good enough to win.  I'm not sure Sam ever loses this job outside of injury.  Herman clearly loves him and someone's going to have to utterly kill it in practice to unseat him as a returning junior with two letters.

I agree with this post. 

With all the talk about coaches, one factor that rarely gets mentioned here is that according to Herman, the PLAYERS chose Sam as the starter. A rumor that was reported last summer and confirmed by Herman, this is an under-appreciated and often misunderstood factor in team sports. The best QB is not nesscarily the one that throws the prettiest pass, but often the one that inspires other players to perform at a higher level. 

Two years ago, on a much scattier site, I predicted that Sam would usurp Shane.  

This off-season, I predicted big progression from him.

Next year, we compete for championships. And if someone replaces Sam and makes us better, I'll support it 100%.  

Hook 'em. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

So if we win Saturday and he throws for 300+ will you change your mind? 

I have been wrong all season so no point in stopping now. So I am gonna say that Sam throwing for 300 hundred yards is fairytale bullshit and isn't happening and anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You’re a fool if you think this staff is constantly trotting the best 11 out on the field every play.

And you're a fool if you think Herman is trotting out Sam just because he's his boy.  Sam could hit 90% of his passes and some of you would still complain about the ones he misses and the ones that were "hard catches".  I almost hope Shane gets some meaningful snaps so you guys would remember he's not Colt v2.0 and won't hit all the passes Sam hits plus the ones he misses, and won't get all the first downs Sam gets with his feet.  When's the last time you remember Texas winning 4 games in a row, with two against ranked opponents?  You'd think we were 1-4 with some of the comments here.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 3

And you're a fool if you think Herman is trotting out Sam just because he's his boy.  Sam could hit 90% of his passes and some of you would still complain about the ones he misses and the ones that were "hard catches".  I almost hope Shane gets some meaningful snaps so you guys would remember he's not Colt v2.0 and won't hit all the passes Sam hits plus the ones he misses, and won't get all the first downs Sam gets with his feet.  When's the last time you remember Texas winning 4 games in a row, with two against ranked opponents?  You'd think we were 1-4 with some of the comments here.
Lulz, these idoits would bitch about James Street's quarterbacking.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Why? To each his own but I think he’s limited in various capacities and prefer to look for and invest in a better option.

Well if you find one before Saturday let Herman know. If not get behind this kid and watch him rip the Sooners a new asshole. 

• Like 2

Why? To each his own but I think he’s limited in various capacities and prefer to look for and invest in a better option.

Forget it. Some of the people here act like they are kin to the guy. I hope he improves because I’d like to see him hit a wr in stride on a go route. Or complete a deep ball for a td that doesn’t require a circus catch because he’s inaccurate.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

So which of our many 5 star, all-world, future NFL HOF QBs would you start, that would do better than winning the last 4 games?

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

Forget it. Some of the people here act like they are kin to the guy. I hope he improves because I’d like to see him hit a wr in stride on a go route. Or complete a deep ball for a td that doesn’t require a circus catch because he’s inaccurate.

He hits plenty of WRs in stride.  But some of you love to focus on the 3-5 bad misses he has per game.  An 81% completion rate isn't inaccurate.  Need I remind you Shane didn't have any games over 80% in which he threw more than 2 passes in 2017?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

No, but some people don’t want to shit on a kid who I think has exceeded expectations so far this year. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This is Sam's season and Sam's team. He's going to have to improve in order to keep his job next year.

A. He’s going to improve.

B. He will always have accuracy issues. 

C. He will start for 2.6 more seasons, absent injury, and it’s not really a question. 

2 hours ago, The Golden Hat said:

Not this season at least.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Cameron Rising can do next season.

I had a red ass aggy reporter friend of mine tell me last night that we win a Natty with Roschon Johnson. Writes for a major magazine and attends nearly every PNG football game. 

Just because the wr catches the ball doesn’t make him accurate. How many passes does he throw that are caught but the guy has to go to the ground, stop or has their momentum fucked up because of the placement? He’s improving, but he’s still not the best passer. He’s improving on the other aspects of his game too. The team as a whole has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPhlegm said:
1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

Read more  

Lulz, these idoits would bitch about James Street's quarterbacking.

Nice point. I love the direction this thread is headed now, I think everyone's been drinking this evening.

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Just because the wr catches the ball doesn’t make him accurate. How many passes does he throw that are caught but the guy has to go to the ground, stop or has their momentum fucked up because of the placement? He’s improving, but he’s still not the best passer. He’s improving on the other aspects of his game too. The team as a whole has.

Holy shit.  Our WRs have to go to the ground to make the catch sometimes?  That's terrible.  You're the same kind of person who would whine if he left the ball up and our WR got crushed. "OMGZ SAM IS GOING TO GET OUR WRS KILLED!"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brojangles2 said:

I had a red ass aggy reporter friend of mine tell me last night that we win a Natty with Roschon Johnson. Writes for a major magazine and attends nearly every PNG football game. 

Well let's still build a REAL qb room and redshirt the man. Nothing better than naturally bringing a guy up behind some good leaders until hes actually ready to lead. I think the more time they watch the game and tape the more comfy they are when they get some game time and eventually take over the offense.

Also, I think we should be trying to create NFL-ready QBs. Start them when they are ready but that probably means redshirt sophomore. Let them lead the team 3 years with a solid backup upperclassmen and some young up and coming guys learning and preparing for their eventual take over.

• Like 1