Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The threat of a run is valuable too. If we run Sam too much and he gets hurt, like he did last year, we lose that threat.

They will use his called runs when we need it most.

He's also more of a chain-moving runner than a game-breaking runner.

And that is the question. If you are afraid to use the legs than you are putting a worse pocket passer in the game. 

Sam doesn’t need 100+, but 50-80yards a game would completely change the offensive dynamic regardless of how you do it. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And that is the question. If you are afraid to use the legs than you are putting a worse pocket passer in the game. 

Sam doesn’t need 100+, but 50-80yards a game would completely change the offensive dynamic regardless of how you do it. 

Sam's running ability helps the OL, pass catchers, and RBs. Even if he isn't actually running the ball himself, it is having an impact.

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We're the 40th ranked passing offense in the country.

We're ranked 80th in rushing offense in the country. 

You want Sam to fix the rushing attack now too?

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

We're the 40th ranked passing offense in the country.

We're ranked 80th in rushing offense in the country. 

You want Sam to fix the rushing attack now too?

rushing attack kinda opens up with a passing threat.  just sayan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 52-80 said:

poppycock.  his performance is inconsistent. 

credit where credit is due:  he showed accuracy vs TCU.  also credit due:  TX defense for winning the games vs USC and KSU. 

despite the 80% completion rate - most of which were due to backfield throws - he's shown better overall performances (even in Losses!) last year vs KSU, OU, WVU, etc.

most wouldnt stake their ego over their fandom.  i'd rather TX win at all costs.  the problem is, the chances of TX winning vs high caliber team hinges on the high risk that Bad Sam shows up in uniform.

His performance is absolutely inconsistent. Don't mistake my tepid defense of him as some Westlake homer hero worship. I'm not in that group at all. I think Sam is very limited as a QB. I'm just saying he is no longer single handedly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. He is making just enough plays to win games when our defense plays well. I think that's the best we can hope for this season. 

Personally, I like the strategy we have employed since Maryland. Limit the game plan to low risk throws that give our playmakers a shot to make a play, trying to establish the run, and relying on our defense. Unless Sam can improve his down field passing accuracy (not likely this year if ever), that's probably our best chance to win as many games as we can this year to keep the momentum building. Maybe next year Rising, or one of the other pups, can give him a true battle for the starting job. Buechele is just very limited in this offense, although I think with a transfer to the right offense, he could be a decent starting QB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Watching Derka and ctj maneuver in this thread is akin to watching two monkeys trying to fuck a football. 

Well, at least its entertaining. I don't know of a single poster on this board or from Shaggy that views you as a contributor of any sort. The best trait you exhibit is that you're oblivious. That enables you to remain as this board's insipid Rasputin. I've run you over and backed up and run you over again so many times at this point that I've developed ennui with it. You don't even make for a nice chew toy. But, hey, Sam Ehlinger went to your high school and he's looked decidedly average over a 4 week period, so let's light the cigars up, boys, we've got ourselves a position we can hang our tiny hats on! Whoop!

We haven't won shit since 2008 and by God,  we are on an ugly  four game winning streak with a puncher's chance to end OU's playoff run and all I hear is bitching about Sam Ehlinger and where he attended high school.   David Ash had his head squashed and I never heard this much complaining.  Four fucking game win streak and nothing but negativity.  Fuck my life.  

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, at least its entertaining. I don't know of a single poster on this board or from Shaggy that views you as a contributor of any sort. The best trait you exhibit is that you're oblivious. That enables you to remain as this board's insipid Rasputin. I've run you over and backed up and run you over again so many times at this point that I've developed ennui with it. You don't even make for a nice chew toy. But, hey, Sam Ehlinger went to your high school and he's looked decidedly average over a 4 week period, so let's light the cigars up, boys, we've got ourselves a position we can hang our tiny hats on! Whoop!

Pot, 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Watching Derka and ctj maneuver in this thread is akin to watching two monkeys trying to fuck a football. 

i literally just posted the big xii passing stats, but okay.

also, watching you obsessively follow me around like a jilted ex lover is both creepy and tiresome. there's plenty more people in here taking the exact same stance as me and yet it's my name that is constantly coming out of your mouth. move on already. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't know what the point is.  It's clear that he's our best option right now.  When there's a better QB option and Sam is still starting I'll bitch.  When Sam is throwing games away I'll bitch.  The need to make everyone agree that Sam sucks is bizarre.  He's better than he was last year.  I don't think that's debatable, although I'm sure Derka will post a graph demonstrating how he's regressed.  I don't think he'll ever be elite.  I don't think post season awards are in his future, but it's still early in his career.  He can get better.  He can also start to suck and at some point get replaced by Cam.  Who knows.  He's the best QB we've had since Ash so for now I'll take it.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

We haven't won shit since 2008 and by God,  we are on an ugly  four game winning streak with a puncher's chance to end OU's playoff run and all I hear is bitching about Sam Ehlinger and where he attended high school.   David Ash had his head squashed and I never heard this much complaining.  Four fucking game win streak and nothing but negativity.  Fuck my life.  

yeah, again, this the sam ehlinger thread, not the "we've won four straight games!" thread. sam ehlinger and his performance is the literal topic of discussion here. it's possible to both celebrate our recent success in the appropriate threads while also discussing sam's performance- for better or worse- in this, the appropriate thread.

its mind boggling how many of you can't grasp this most basic concept. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, again, this the sam ehlinger thread, not the "we've won four straight games!" thread. sam ehlinger and his performance is the literal topic of discussion here. it's possible to both celebrate our recent success in the appropriate threads while also discussing sam's performance- for better or worse- in this, the appropriate thread.

The "where he went to high school" shit is just stupid.  If he can't play, he won't play.  If he is not the best option, he will be replaced.  Those are basic football concepts.  He has played well enough on a team that has won four in a row.   Until he loses again, it is all fucking noise.  

1 minute ago, Lhorn said:

Yeah I don't know what the point is.  It's clear that he's our best option right now.  When there's a better QB option and Sam is still starting I'll bitch.  When Sam is throwing games away I'll bitch.  The need to make everyone agree that Sam sucks is bizarre.  He's better than he was last year.  I don't think that's debatable, although I'm sure Derka will post a graph demonstrating how he's regressed.  I don't think he'll ever be elite.  I don't think post season awards are in his future, but it's still early in his career.  He can get better.  He can also start to suck and at some point get replaced by Cam.  Who knows.  He's the best QB we've had since Ash so for now I'll take it.  

like.....what thread are you even reading, anyway? your post comes straight out of bizarro world. "the need to make everyone agree that sam sucks is bizarre." what? nearly the exact opposite of that is happening here, and this need for everyone in this thread to exclusively praise sam so long as we're winning is what's bizarre. 

sam ehlinger has been aight. he hasn't turned he ball over, but he's also made some really really poor throws to wide open wr's while under zero duress. you and a litany of other posters have inexplicably deemed that any and all criticisms of sam should be strictly verboten so long as we are winning. that spits in the face what shaggy was founded on, and yet you all deem yourselves righteous somehow. no amount of complaining and rep circle jerking is going to stop us from honestly talking about the explicit subject of this thread, and this need to stifle all criticism is straight of the katy agnor playbook. we've come full circle now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

What are you telling us that most of us don't already know? Oh my god, you mean to tell me that Sam Ehlinger has a ton of room for improvement? I had no idea Goo Punch, I thought he was the best QB that this program has ever seen, thank you for finally guiding me to the light my friend..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

like.....what thread are you even reading, anyway? your post comes straight out of bizarro world. "the need to make everyone agree that sam sucks is bizarre." what? nearly the exact opposite of that is happening here, and this need for everyone in this thread to exclusively praise sam so long as we're winning is what's bizarre. 

sam ehlinger has been aight. he hasn't turned he ball over, but he's also made some really really poor throws to wide open wr's while under zero duress. you and a litany of other posters have inexplicably deemed that any and all criticisms of sam should be strictly verboten so long as we are winning. that spits in the face what shaggy was founded on, and yet you all deem yourselves righteous somehow. no amount of complaining and rep circle jerking is going to stop us from honestly talking about the explicit subject of this thread, and this need to stifle all criticism is straight of the katy agnor playbook. we've come full circle now.

Nobody is stifling criticism.  We all know Sam has limitations, but the "Westlake honk" "I Am Sam" shit is a little over the top.  

• Like 1

So is he Mr. Potatohead, or is he average? My recent memory includes Tyrone Swoopes, Case McCoy, Garrett Gilbert, and a mostly broken Shane Buechele. Those guys were potato on the football field.

Sam is not potato. At the very least he's bacon and sour cream filled potato skins from TGI Friday's. With a cold beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I just don't understand the point.  We can shit in one hand and hope for a better QB in the other and see which fills up faster.  You want to say he's average at best.  Fine, I'll play along.  That pass that he missed to Duvernay in the first quarter was terrible.  As "average at best" as he is at hitting his WR, I think his reads are better.  He's largely making the right decisions even if the execution is not great at times.  As bad as some of his interceptions were last year, he also hit some defenders in the hands last year who dropped them.  He's not going that this year.  The biggest reason why I think he's a better than average QB despite being an "average at best" passer is what he does as a runner.  He's not a 100 yards a game guy, but he has converted some 3rd downs and extended drives with his legs.  He neutralizes some of the pass rush which is important with a less than stellar OL.  Hell he was our leading rusher last year so he's capable.  I'm glad they aren't treating him like a battering ram this year though.  

I wish he were lighting up the score board like Grier too.  It's not who he is, but he's gone from a guy who absolutely loses games to someone who contributes to wins.  

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Ctj has never made a single cogent post about a QB. But there is a method to his madness.  Eventually Sam will have a truly horrid game, which will give Ctj the chance to do a victory lap and post more inane drivel. But your point will remain. Until someone overtakes him, Sam is the best option we have. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

I think Sam has it in him to break the fuck out. Hit one deep ball this week and he will be on. Actually have explosive plays with RBs and the play book opens up. He is close, and he’s still a true sophomore for fucks sake. Oh yeah and we are 4-1 so pick something else to beat yalls dick about.  

45 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i literally just posted the big xii passing stats, but okay.

also, watching you obsessively follow me around like a jilted ex lover is both creepy and tiresome. there's plenty more people in here taking the exact same stance as me and yet it's my name that is constantly coming out of your mouth. move on already. 

Yeah, that's all you've posted.  And again, I'm not following you around and never have.  You're everywhere, you're loud and incredulous, and you're irritating as fuck.

ctj's playbook is familiar: make repeated long, bombastic posts, replete with inane name-calling, get called out on stupidity, and resort to "entertaining contributor" braggadocio.  What a goddamned fairy.

1 hour ago, VaHorn said:

Ctj has never made a single cogent post about a QB. But there is a method to his madness.  Eventually Sam will have a truly horrid game, which will give Ctj the chance to do a victory lap and post more inane drivel. But your point will remain. Until someone overtakes him, Sam is the best option we have. 

I don’t care if I can agree with a poster or not, and I don’t have issues taking on the whole fucking board and wresting an issue to the ground when convicted. What I do care about is accuracy, in my QBs and felllow posters. This thread involves neither. I’ve posted plenty well enough about QBs when motivated. There’s a thread on Shaggy before Gilbert ever played a down in which I walked through his issues and the board, with guys with takes like yours, shrieked in disbelief over it. Most of the time though, I don’t care enough about a QB controversy. I’d just like to win. My takes on this thread have been about what I see in Ehlinger, not calling for anyone else. 

Beyond that, I don’t want to ever post about being right on Ehlinger in the future. I hope the dufus wins the rest of the games he plays. And when we lose, I pretty much stay away from the boards. I hate losing as much or more than any of you, and I don’t want to read the dumbass takes running rampant calling for everyone to be benched or fired. 

47 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yeah, that's all you've posted.  And again, I'm not following you around and never have.  You're everywhere, you're loud and incredulous, and you're irritating as fuck.

ctj's playbook is familiar: make repeated long, bombastic posts, replete with inane name-calling, get called out on stupidity, and resort to "entertaining contributor" braggadocio.  What a goddamned fairy.

I am living in your head rent free. Like a moth to a flame, you can’t handle it and you have to show up and pull the bookshelf on top of yourself, no matter how many times you’ve been pummeled before.  Thanks for that. I post big or small, there’s evidence of both on this thread. As to the name calling, it’s a sign of a weak or boring poster that defaults to that in their arguments. Unsurprisingly, you do it constantly and accuse everyone else of doing it first. 

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

ctj is 100% LotusHorn.

Dude, you literally posted earlier today in a recruiting thread about an insight you’d heard somewhere and asked if anyone else could remember the inside take. Yeah, I remember it. I was the one that passed it on to the board. I’m fine if you think attempting to mock me is a good strategy, but if you’re going to continue to come at me, at least get your shit together and make it worth my time. 

Hot Christ, I’m fucking pig wrestling here with some of you people. I feel like I need a shower, a drink and my memory wiped. I’ve lowered myself to this for nothing. I agree with folks who are roasting this thread as a Seinfeldian bumfight. Outside of mocking Lolinger and those who handwring when I do, it’s not like I’m pining for someone else this season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

52 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm just thoroughly impressed at the amount of traffic this thread is generating, while covering virtually no new ground. Reminds me a lot of the worst philosophy class I ever took.

Impressed? This is basically like a typical day in July on the recruiting board.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah that's what the people you're spouting at are thinking to themselves. 

Yeah, here’s the deal. I really do find you to be a bandwidth drain that adds no value. I’m putting you on ignore so that I can have a better experience. Remember that volume isn’t the answer when you’re focusing on attempting to improve. This bulletin board thing simply might not be for you. I’ll guess I’ll see one way or another when we all have to migrate to a new board in a decade and I lose my settings again. 

I have always liked CTJ, and agree with most of his takes on Texas Football. I'm not so much of a homer that I can't appreciate our deficiencies. He is also more informed than most people who post here, as well as the one guy who still posts on Shaggy.

I also think CTJ is simply calling it as he sees it with Ehlinger. If that bothers you, get thicker skin. I recognize Ehlinger's flaws but think he can still find ways to win, despite them. Others will disagree and that's fine. (But anyone calling for Buechele needs their head examined.)

What I do think it is complete bullshit is name-calling directed at any of our players - from our own fanbase.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, you literally posted earlier today in a recruiting thread about an insight you’d heard somewhere and asked if anyone else could remember the inside take. Yeah, I remember it. I was the one that passed it on to the board. I’m fine if you think attempting to mock me is a good strategy, but if you’re going to continue to come at me, at least get your shit together and make it worth my time. 

Oh you claiming Demas, got it. Sorry I forgot how plugged in you are, yet you were asking if we were Cooper's final 4. Holy fuck, you are one self absorbed prick.

• Like 1

On second thought, Ctj has a fighting chance to win arguments by making shit up right and left. With the benefit of hindsight, exaggeration and revisionist history he stands tall as the solitary voice of clairvoyance beset on all sides by screaming sycophants.  Aka as a typical message board blowhard. And in his case, someone who isn’t too smart, but wishes so very much that he was. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1