Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

calling out @justhookit for doing nothing but neg repping in this thread without posting. Sick bro. 

I’m probably more of a basketball fan than football. So Derka can be a beating. You are worse. I’m pretty sure all 3 or 4 of my negs to you on this thread are more than I have ever given to anyone in total, not just here but Shaggy too. Congrats.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So Derka'd.  Alrighty.

I'm not sure why anyone is comparing Sam to Colt, other than to insinuate that Sam might keep getting better, which certainly isn't out of the question.  Regardless, the two couldn't hardly be more different, besides "white" and "right-handed".

Frankly, I'm thrilled that Sam has stopped turning the ball over and as of yet doesn't appear to have a concussion.  Baby steps.  He's the best choice we have right now, and I'm thankful he's performing at this level.  I'm not sure where the Heisman talk is coming from, because he's not gonna be in that room unless he gets press credentials, so whatever.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’m probably more of a basketball fan than football. So Derka can be a beating. You are worse. I’m pretty sure all 3 or 4 of my negs to you on this thread are more than I have ever given to anyone in total, not just here but Shaggy too. Congrats.

I hope you don't mean college basketball because you should find a new sport, bud. 

And if that's your thing - then why are you neg repping me for my opinions on a football player? Because you disagree? Sounds lame bro. Tell me why I'm wrong. As I stated - you haven't contributed shit to the thread. You've just neg repped me and made unfounded judgments on character. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

fucking lulz.  i remember the shit hamm got for posting that if mond beat bama that mond should be in the heisman discussion.  and now we have a dipshit saying the same thing about sam.  if he beats ou, he should be in the heisman discussion.  

god damn, there are some stupid fucking posters on this site.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

That's enough Surly for tonight. Clearly the old bitter fucks are out in force. Congrats, you win. 

Man you have to be very young.   I’m not mad at you at all because you entertained the hell out of me tonight, but at some point you have to learn to drop your point and not double down.  You went full retard, never go full retard.  (Movie quote don’t pc me padwan).  

• Like 1

The offensive line was really good. The receivers are elite. Ingram is great and Watson is decent. 

And the offense scored 10 points. 10 points against one of the worst power 5 teams in the country. 

The QB is by far the weak link/Achilles heel of the team. He just isn't anywhere near consistent enough to put up the points necessary to beat a team the defense can't dominate. I don't know if OU is that team since they have literally played 5 cream puffs but if our defense can't dominate them we will lose. 

Should have worked in different QBs before this point. There's no excuse for an offense that has a line performing this well and skill players this good to be this bad. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

fucking lulz.  i remember the shit hamm got for posting that if mond beat bama that mond should be in the heisman discussion.  and now we have a dipshit saying the same thing about sam.  if he beats ou, he should be in the heisman discussion.  

god damn, there are some stupid fucking posters on this site.

I’m hoping he’s just wasted.  Bc that’s beyond retarded.  

People shouting over each other in this thread. The questions need to be framed better.

1) Are Sam's accuracy and decisionmaking holding the offense back from achieving full potential?

2) What is the ceiling with Sam at qb?

The answer to first one yes and the ceiling is 8-10 wins because we will get into a shoot out with someone or put into a position where offense will have to win us the game like tOSU last night. I don't think the offense operates at a level with Sam at helm that we can win big.

Member 2007 when Colt threw 4 picks and we lost on the road to a bad KSU team? I member.

Not saying Sam is going to be anywhere close to Colt but weird shit happens in road conference games, especially Manhattan. I’ll take a win there and be happy every damn time.

Shit that was a home game, even worse.

Member 2007 when Colt threw 4 picks and we lost on the road to a bad KSU team? I member.

Not saying Sam is going to be anywhere close to Colt but weird shit happens in road conference games, especially Manhattan. I’ll take a win there and be happy every damn time.

No I remember losing that game in Austin....

6 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

The offensive line was really good. The receivers are elite. Ingram is great and Watson is decent. 

And the offense scored 10 points. 10 points against one of the worst power 5 teams in the country. 

The QB is by far the weak link/Achilles heel of the team. He just isn't anywhere near consistent enough to put up the points necessary to beat a team the defense can't dominate. I don't know if OU is that team since they have literally played 5 cream puffs but if our defense can't dominate them we will lose. 

Should have worked in different QBs before this point. There's no excuse for an offense that has a line performing this well and skill players this good to be this bad. 

Turn it down a few notches buddy. The OL is serviceable, the WR corps is solid, and Ingram has a chance to be really good.

Both lines getting manhandled in the second half was a big reason we almost lost that game.

• Like 4

The line was really good. They gave him time to throw all game with only a couple of times free rushers came through. You can't ask for much better from the line, and still they only scored 10 points because the QB can't consistently put the ball where the playmakers can get TDs. He did it on the last scoring drive against TCU, but only one out if every 10 or so drives isn't going to cut it. 

This is just Westlake homerism at it's most ugly. If Tyrone Swoopes was out there playing this poorly all of you sucking this kid off would be crucifying him... Oh wait, you did already. 

10 fucking points. 

• Fuck You 1

I don’t think Sam is QB1 material at The University of Texas when it comes to the aspirations the program has.

It’s not even really a nuanced argument. He just isn’t a good enough/accurate enough passer.

There are a lot of other programs where what he is capable of would be more than enough...but if we really want to go where we act like we want to go it isn’t enough here.

All that said he’s not the disaster some also make him out to be and there is no doubt he has thus far cut down on the stupid stuff and we are now not losing games because of him. This I will take as progress for this year but going into next the guy under center (or well taking shotgun snaps from center) needs to be more than a guy who “won’t lose you a game” he needs to be somebody who will go win you some.

• Like 6

Additionally, we had 8 drives the entire game. One drive killed by a bad penalty, one killed by a true freshman being dumb. We left some points on the field, but it wasn't as bad as the final score might indicate.
We were one dropped catch in the red zone from losing the game. Not only was it as bad as the score indicates but actually even worse because KSU is one of the worst teams in the P5 and even a mediocre big12 offense would have scored more than 10.

We were one dropped catch in the red zone from losing the game. Not only was it as bad as the score indicates but actually even worse because KSU is one of the worst teams in the P5 and even a mediocre big12 offense would have scored more than 10.
True, but you could say that about every game..(if they had made that field goal, not had a TD called back etc..)

I disagree that KSU is one of the worst P5's, they just have talent deficits at a few positions that will make it hard for them to win against teams with a pulse. They're still prepared and coached as well as any team in the country imo..

This was the offensive line's worst performance of the year, it was not good. It hasn't gotten consistent push in the run game all year. It's been good in pass protection, though yesterday was a bit of a departure from that, so the garbage rushing stats for Texas aren't because they're sack adjusted. That's what the run game is. OL is okay. That's it. It just so happens that okay is a massive improvement over last year.

Considered in proper context, Sam was fine yesterday and has been the past three games. Took what the defense gave him, had a few effective runs, made a couple nice throws, and didn't do anything dumb to blow a lead. I'm no Sam fanboy but doing that, on the road, is not something we've seen from him and represents growth for him. Tip of the cap.

It isn't a secret that this team will go as the defense goes. The OL can't open up holes on the ground; a good defense can make the offense one dimensional. Very few QBs can work around that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm as anti kool aid as anyone but y'all trying to find something to be pissy about after a win in Manhattan, aka this program's house of horrors, and being on a four game win streak is a hoot. Sam has gotten it done the past four games. He may need to do more against better teams like OU and WVU. Historically that's been a recipe for disaster but there's obviously been growth, so we'll see if he is ready for the next step.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

You mean the ones down field vertically, those.  Just saw on the after show C. Johnson tied his career high for TD in a season 3..   That’s a travesty, I’m just so tired of not having a qb.  If we get down against OU hopefully Shane gets a chance and hit those deep throws like he did as a freshman 

Yes those throws. I love Sam and see the improvement, but agree when you look at Johnson and how few catches he has to date it's frustrating. Our receivers are open downfield, we need throws on target, 50/50 we win. I'm not dogging Sam, if we see that piece of the game fixed.. dude could really be a monster. And thankfully we aren't seeing those bad decision turnovers like we did last year.

I'm happy for the win and it feels great being 4-1 going into Red River. Sam has revenge on his mind and our D wants to break Kyler.. I'll settle for being cautiously optimistic this weekend. HookEm!

13 hours ago, Lhorn said:

When he was hitting TTU and OSU players between the numbers late in the 4th quarter I would have agreed that he's dumb.  Not perfect but he's not made many "dumb" plays this year.

Did Maryland not happen this year? It fucking happened this month. Some people on this idiotic thread seem to believe that I Am Sam is all better now because because because. He’s fucking below average. 

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

The "people" you're talking about are the morons pining for Shane to be in the game. The "we won stop bitching" shit are the people that focus on wins rather than who's playing under center. 

So yes, you are 100% defending the people voicing that Shane needs to get a look. Don't even try and deny that shit. 

Not one person in this thread, for at least 15 pages, has called for Buechele to play. This is a bad straw man argument from a really bad poster. This guy has landed on this board like a nuclear bomb of plaintive ineptitude. 

10 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Look, I just don't know what to think until CloseToJumping posts here to tell me about I Am Sam. His opinion is what really counts.

My opinion hasn’t changed since the beginning, you Lolinger apologist honk. Ehlinger is overrated mediocrity with a penchant for the fundamentally stupid. 

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I hope you don't mean college basketball because you should find a new sport, bud. 

And if that's your thing - then why are you neg repping me for my opinions on a football player? Because you disagree? Sounds lame bro. Tell me why I'm wrong. As I stated - you haven't contributed shit to the thread. You've just neg repped me and made unfounded judgments on character. 

I plan on negging you every time I see you whining about rep. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Holy fucking shit. It's as simple as this guys.

Does Texas play good tough defense? Yes.

Has Texas demonstrated competence running the football? Yes.

So you can compete in and win a lot of games doing that. I personally really like Sam; he's a soph and outside of Maryland has demonstrated a lot of maturity doing what's asked of him and protecting the football. No, he doesn't have pinpoint accuracy on every throw but he sees the field better and at least attempts to get the ball there. The wide open miss to Duvernay comes to mind. K State was not a good game for him in that regard. But in the fourth quarter, with a chance to ice it, he did enough. You have to at least give credit for that.

I believe that there is currently not an "ideal" QB on campus to run Herman's offense to it's full potential but god damn you have to be excited about the things we could see in the future. Maybe Sam grows and takes a leap as a JR, maybe Rising develops and steals the spot. From everything i've heard that kid can really spin it.

Either way, i had a blast watching the K St game and am looking forward to the RRS like i haven't in quite some time.

• Like 2

Yes those throws. I love Sam and see the improvement, but agree when you look at Johnson and how few catches he has to date it's frustrating. Our receivers are open downfield, we need throws on target, 50/50 we win. I'm not dogging Sam, if we see that piece of the game fixed.. dude could really be a monster. And thankfully we aren't seeing those bad decision turnovers like we did last year.

I'm happy for the win and it feels great being 4-1 going into Red River. Sam has revenge on his mind and our D wants to break Kyler.. I'll settle for being cautiously optimistic this weekend. HookEm!

C Johnson’s low TD totals are on him. He’s doing a better job being physical with DB’s this season, but those 50/50 balls turn into drive/game killing ints if you can’t trust your WR to battle for the ball. Up until this season I had no doubt that C Johnson would high point the ball - but I couldn’t trust him to put physical the DB if he was in a bad position.

CTJ, just for the record, I felt morally obligated to drag you into this shitshow. This is Shaggy in its finest, and its why we can't have nice things.

We can all see the field, except for the people who think our O-line is great. Sam completed 80% for 6 ypa, while the run game went for only 3.8 ypc. Sam moved the ball consistently. His problems now are not accuracy, per se, although he misses a few passes. The reason he looks like Forest Gump is that he's slow to make decisions in the pass game and he isn't making skilled passes, but mostly just passes to guys when they get open. 

He is pretty accurate (exactly the same words used up thread). He has great pocket presence. He runs good. Our game plan yesterday was VERY conservative. Sam ran it well. He's a game manager. He's not Colt or Vince and so everyone wants to bitch. If, and only if, he studies the game and learns to use his head, if he learns the mental part of the game, then he can be great. If he learns how to read defenses, make adjustments, look off safeties, etc, he can be great. But for now, he's good and yes he looks Gumpish out there but he moves the chains pretty well.

Buncha shit went wrong this game. None of it was on Sam. Or I Am Sam, if you prefer. Either way it wasn't him.

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Did Maryland not happen this year? It fucking happened this month. Some people on this idiotic thread seem to believe that I Am Sam is all better now because because because. He’s fucking below average. 

My opinion hasn’t changed since the beginning, you Lolinger apologist honk. Ehlinger is overrated mediocrity with a penchant for the fundamentally stupid. 

Is it your opinion he hasn't gotten any better in this winning stretch?  I agree its dumb to say he's all better, but it seems obstinate to say he hasn't shown improvement.

Edited by gurt

3 minutes ago, gurt said:

Is it your opinion he hasn't gotten any better in this winning stretch?  I agree its dumb to say he's all better, but it seems obstinate to say he hasn't shown improvement.

He hasn’t turned the ball over, for which I’m thankful. Outside of that, he basically continues to look like the same old Mehlinger. Honestly, if he was from somewhere like Victoria or Lufkin, everyone would be saying “whatever” . Which is mostly what I say in real life while watching him unless he full-on flashes the tard. There’s just not a lot going on with the guy that’s positive but he’s not the worst guy we’ve had this decade. 

He isn’t turning the ball over during this stretch, which is a huge improvement. That’s it.

He still is consistently missing wide open throws that would be scores, he is still consistently off target in the short/screen game which kills any rhythm/timing.

He doesn’t have to be amazing with the football, just don’t turn it over, and don’t miss the wide open motherfuckers. Everything else is gravy.

ill go back to what i said before last week's game- if the starting QB for OU had just put up 7 whole points vs KSU while missing a whole bunch of wide open, 6'5" WR's we'd all be talking about how much he sucks, and licking our lips thinking about Orlando's defense getting in his face all day and forcing the dumb decisions/turnovers/terrible throws that he's known for. We'd call him a cross-eyed backup FB playing QB and we'd be elated that he was the best OU had to offer at QB. Instead we get 50 fanbois all circle jerk repping each other about how winning is all that matters, or worse, actually going all the way to call him a potential heisman contender and the second best QB in the league behind Grier. The *only* reason (well two reasons) that anyone here slurps this guy is because he's the Texas QB and he's from Austin Westlake.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

It sucks that we are doing a good job moving the ball a few yards at a time reliably and getting first downs, which is supposed to force the D to bring more people closer to the line, and then you burn them deep. Expect we fail when it’s time to burn them deep. That first long pass, my god, the WR had completely beaten his man. Screwing up that play is inexcusable.

• Like 1