Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

5 minutes ago, The Golden Hat said:

I have always liked CTJ, and agree with most of his takes on Texas Football. I'm not so much of a homer that I can't appreciate our deficiencies. He is also more informed than most people who post here, as well as the one guy who still posts on Shaggy.

I also think CTJ is simply calling it as he sees it with Ehlinger. If that bothers you, get thicker skin. I recognize Ehlinger's flaws but think he can still find ways to win, despite them. Others will disagree and that's fine. (But anyone calling for Buechele needs their head examined.)

What I do think it is complete bullshit is name-calling directed at any of our players - from our own fanbase.

He insists upon himself and revels in internet faggotry.  He may be "calling it as he sees it" but ruins any points he has with name calling: I Am Sam, Lolinger, Hermeh, Westlake apologist honks and a litany of others he thinks are very creative.  He's trying way too hard to Surly's Scipio.  He's the antithesis of "brevity is the soul of wit."  And on top of it all, he claims to be some sort of insider.  He's smarter than you, and if you disagree with him, you're an insipid banana slug he'll ignore because it ruins his posting experience. 

I agree. And I'm okay with it. Better than some of these poors who contribute nothing.

Minus this part:

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

but ruins any points he has with name calling: I Am Sam, Lolinger, Hermeh, Westlake apologist honks and a litany of others he thinks are very creative.

This whole thing is lame as fuck.

Edited by The Golden Hat

I'm about 10 more posts of this back and forth nonsense from locking this fucking thread. Get back on topic or move on I don't give a shit, but talk about football not who's fucking dick is bigger. 

Take it to fucking board discussion to talk about ctj, derka, rex, whoever the fuck else. Football talk here - title of the thread "Sam Ehlinger" - Talk about the topic and make jokes around it, but stop this bullshit back and forth personal attack stuff this isn't fucking cloak room.

• Like 5

So is there any room for development?  No way Sam is anything close to Colt or other great QBs but he is a true Sophomore I just feel pretty good about his development and opportunity to improve over the next few years.  

CTJ is your assessment that he can not develop and improve based on fundamental or physical flaws? 

Edited by ApocalyseTexas

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Wondering what it says that our worst offensive performance of the year was the game where Beck was in a hospital room instead of up in the booth.

Our offense actually had a pretty good feel to it. Just a weird game where we only had the ball 8 times. Herman admits he made a mistake by shutting it down when we got up  19-0.

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm about 10 more posts of this back and forth nonsense from locking this fucking thread. Get back on topic or move on I don't give a shit, but talk about football not who's fucking dick is bigger. 

Take it to fucking board discussion to talk about ctj, derka, rex, whoever the fuck else. Football talk here - title of the thread "Sam Ehlinger" - Talk about the topic and make jokes around it, but stop this bullshit back and forth personal attack stuff this isn't fucking cloak room.

We do that here? Interdasting. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ApocalyseTexas said:

So is there any room for development?  No way Sam is anything close to Colt or other great QBs but he is a true Sophomore I just feel pretty good about his development and opportunity to improve over the next few years.  

CTJ is your assessment that he can not develop and improve based on fundamental or physical flaws? 

No, I think he’ll continue to get better. I also think he needs to do so. I don’t think his football IQ will improve much, because stupid is as posters on this thread do, but with enough talent around him, Texas could be a playoff team in two years if he gets physically better. 

That said, I think we have legitimate talent redshirting this year and coming in as an early enrollee. I don’t think Ehlinger is good enough to merit the other guys not pushing him or not passing him. The staff allegedly loves Rising and likes Thompson too. To keep at least one, they’re going to need a legitimate QB competition in spring and summer of 2019 unless Mehlinger just totally shuts it down by being a part of a 12-2 season here this year or something. 

And I’ll contend that while @TheGoldenHat is correct about it being bullshit to call players goofy names, I am a scorpion on such things and watching the histrionics people on here break into over it makes it sadly worthwhile on occasion. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, I think he’ll continue to get better. I also think he needs to do so. I don’t think his football IQ will improve much, because stupid is as posters on this thread do, but with enough talent around him, Texas could be a playoff team in two years if he gets physically better. 

That said, I think we have legitimate talent redshirting this year and coming in as an early enrollee. I don’t think Ehlinger is good enough to merit the other guys not pushing him or not passing him. The staff allegedly loves Rising and likes Thompson too. To keep at least one, they’re going to need a legitimate QB competition in spring and summer of 2019 unless Mehlinger just totally shuts it down by being a part of a 12-2 season here this year or something. 

And I’ll contend that while @TheGoldenHat is correct about it being bullshit to call players goofy names, I am a scorpion on such things and watching the histrionics people on here break into over it makes it sadly worthwhile on occasion. 

"Mehlinger". You're killing me broseph.

Herman said they pay compliments to their players five times. Once, at the end of each year, and when they walk across the stage. If they're not shooting at you, you're not in the fight.

Edited by Thetexashammer

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My follow up question is do we see Herman keep playing Ehlinger even though we have a better QB in the wings out of some sort of loyalty the same way Meyer played Barrett over Haskins last year. We've already kinda seen that with porter is my concern.

Edited by Not a Sock

5 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

My follow up question is do we see Herman keep playing Ehlinger even though we have a better QB in the wings out of some sort of loyalty the same way Meyer played Barrett over Haskins last year. We've already kinda seen that with porter is my concern.

Well, Porter is not playing now.  Thank God.

• Like 3

Ehlinger will play, and most importantly, will demonstrate he’s leading this ball club until he’s out of eligibility. 

The rest of you cowards are scared because he played for Austin Westlake and has had some growing pains (playing behind shit OL and shit OC). 

Case closed.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 5

1 hour ago, immamac said:

JUST DRINK MORE......

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blanton said:

Ehlinger will play, and most importantly, will demonstrate he’s leading this ball club until he’s out of eligibility. 

The rest of you cowards are scared because he played for Austin Westlake and has had some growing pains (playing behind shit OL and shit OC). 

Case closed.

nobody gives a shit about which high school he played for

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blanton said:

Case closed.

@Rex Kramer, socks don’t work as well if used to parrot almost identical posts as their owner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Should TEXAS consider a new assistant coach structure similar to what Saban has just changed to which includes a QB Coach and a separate Coach for Offensive Coordinator??

Michael Locksley........Offensive Coordinator

Tosh Lupoi..................Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers

Jeff Banks................Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends

Dan Enos..................Associate Head Coach/Quarterbacks

Josh Gattis.............Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers

Pete Golding............Co-Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers

Brent Key.................. Offensive Line

Craig Kuligowski.........Associate Head Coach/Defensive Line

Joe Pannunzio............Running Backs

Karl Scott ....................Defensive Backs 

Interesting comments on better development this year for Halen Hurts:

"More important, though, is for the first time in his career, he's able to work every day with a dedicated quarterbacks coach in Dan Enos, who is well respected in college and the pros. (His previous two offensive coordinators doubled as his position coach.) The time in practice and the film room with Enos, that one-on-one attention he can provide all the quarterbacks, has real value even if it doesn't show up in a stat sheet.

Players and coaches say they have already noticed the progress Hurts has made as a passer this season. Saban told reporters just last week that he has seen how he's improved in the pocket.

"There's never been any question about his arm talent," Saban said. "It's always been making decisions, choices, second reads, that type of things, which I think he's really made a lot of improvement on. And I think when he's done those things, he's had really good success. And I think consistency in continuing to do those things is the key to him in the future."

If Hurts sat down, if he had chosen to redshirt, his development might have suffered. He would have been relegated to the scout team in order to prepare Mac Jones for the backup role, according to sources. And by doing so, by not taking another meaningful snap all year, he could have accumulated rust that may have hindered his transition to a potential starting role elsewhere. "

Just seems like  2 WR Asst Coaches are a waste of 1 Coaching position on the current Texas Staff.  Coach Meekins might also be better suited for an off-field role.......Just like adding Coach Hand, HERMAN needs to continue upgrading his coaching staff.  CDC Should Suggest This....... 

Edited by LTtxfan

I’m not buying this concept that Herman “shut it down” when they went up 19-0. What it looked like to me is that they started fucking around, lost focus, kept making mistakes, while KSU players decided that they weren’t going down without a fight.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

@Rex Kramer, socks don’t work as well if used to parrot almost identical posts as their owner.

I’d never tout Westlake as being anything that matters and would never blame a shit OL. Nice try. 

23 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I’m not buying this concept that Herman “shut it down” when they went up 19-0. What it looked like to me is that they started fucking around, lost focus, kept making mistakes, while KSU players decided that they weren’t going down without a fight.

They were unprepared for the passing game from Thompson. And on offense, Sam's inaccuracy killed multiple drives along with Dicker's shitty FG kicking.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That said, I think we have legitimate talent redshirting this year and coming in as an early enrollee. I don’t think Ehlinger is good enough to merit the other guys not pushing him or not passing him. The staff allegedly loves Rising and likes Thompson too.

For personal reasons (and hell no, I'm not a Westlake alum or fan), I'd like to see Sam continue to improve and be the long-term QB for the Longhorns.  But if he doesn't grow from a game manager to a game winner by the end of the season, I think ctj raises a fair point. In that case, we may see Rising take over the starting role as early as the beginning of next season. 

Of course, that's a whole other level of prognosticating, as Rising could turn out to be a total flake once he takes the field in an actual game, given the continuing QB curse that's afflicted our program since 2010.

10 hours ago, Blanton said:

Case closed.

Damn that sucks a bunch of boomers are giving you neg rep for hoping the team and QB does well. This thread is a magnet for turds.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

40 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

They were unprepared for the passing game from Thompson. And on offense, Sam's inaccuracy killed multiple drives along with Dicker's shitty FG kicking.

Texas had 4 offensive possessions in the second half.

1st possession -

Sam is 2/2 for 6 yards.  A couple of good Keontay runs net 17 yards to get Texas to the TEX 43 yard line

3rd & 8  Kansas St. blitzes and Sam completes a pass to Duvernay (hot route) for a gain of 5.  Punt on 4th down.

2nd possession - 

Sam is 5/5 for 51 yds and drives Texas down to the KSU 30yd line.

3rd & 7 Sam throws a ball about a yard past the first down marker and 5 yards short of where Johnson had run to.  I have no idea if Sam was confused on what route Johnson was running or if he just decided to throw the ball to no one.  Dicker misses the FG

3rd possession - 

Sam is 3/3 for 18 yards.  Keontay runs once for 12 yards.  Daniel Young runs for a loss of two yards on 2nd and 5.

3rd & 7 Sams throws a pass to Collin Johnson that looks similar to the third down pass he threw on the previous series (and possibly the route he thought Johnson was going to run).  Regardless this ball is too far outside.  Johnson dives for it but it bounces off his outstretched hands.  Texas punts.

4th possession - 

Sam is 2/2 for 17 yards - including a 12 yard pass to Colin Johnson on 3rd and 10.  Enhlinger runs for 12 yards on another 3rd & 10 to give Texas a fresh set of downs and the ability to run out the clock.  

In the second half Ehlinger was 13-15 passing for 97 yards.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1