Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Well let's still build a REAL qb room and redshirt the man. Nothing better than naturally bringing a guy up behind some good leaders until hes actually ready to lead. I think the more time they watch the game and tape the more comfy they are when they get some game time and eventually take over the offense.
Also, I think we should be trying to create NFL-ready QBs. Start them when they are ready but that probably means redshirt sophomore. Let them lead the team 3 years with a solid backup upperclassmen and some young up and coming guys learning and preparing for their eventual take over.

You talk funny.
What is this building you speak of?

if we'd gone 2-2 in our last 4 games and sam ehlinger had the exact same performance as he had in the four wins (no turnovers, but not really a weapon at qb and prone to making terrible passes in big situations, often missing wide open wr's) then this thread would have an entirely different tone. the sam supporters have been hypersensitive to all honest criticisms of his game and are all collectively dying on the "4-0!!!" hill. this group also exaggerates and hyperbolizes damn near everything said by the other side. for the most part the criticisms are fact-based and unarguable, eg pointing out sam's repeated poor throws to open receivers. these posts get characterized as if it's all just a witch hunt against poor ole sam when the reality of it is that objective observers can see that sam has a few glaring flaws that a really good team like oklahoma might exploit.

in other words we wouldn't be surprised if blitz packages and disguised coverages lead sam to turning the ball over, or if OU decides to blitz on every single 3rd down and 4+ because sam has proven that he can't hit an open wr even when he has a clean pocket. we won't be surprised if accounting for 6 total offensive points vs OU results in a blowout loss. we hope that sam has his best game as a longhorn, but we are far from sold that he is going to go out and do just that. we don't hate sam, we aren't shitting on him, were simply being objective in the face of all of this hypersensitivity to crticism:

at the end of the day these takes are not unreasonable, and the fact that every pro-sam post in this thread gets pos repped by the same group of posters is amusing but sad, and indeed an indictment on the state of this board. the sunshine pumping elements of hornfans permeate this thread like my stomach permeates an airline seat. it's disgusting. 

• Like 1

Lol at everyone who bursts into tears when Ehlinger is trashed but then turn around and do the same thing to Buechele. They're both guys that do the best they can for Texas, why you'd hate either one is beyond me. 

Do I think either of them is a great QB? No, but I could be wrong. I do know it's unbelievably stupid to ink-in Ehlinger as the starter how the next 2.6 years like Rex is doing. Jalen Hurts won a national title and had a 24-2 record as a starter. If he can get benched, so can Ehlinger. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

if we'd gone 2-2 in our last 4 games and sam ehlinger had the exact same performance as he had in the four wins (no turnovers, but not really a weapon at qb and prone to making terrible passes in big situations, often missing wide open wr's) then this thread would have an entirely different tone. the sam supporters have been hypersensitive to all honest criticisms of his game and are all collectively dying on the "4-0!!!" hill. this group also exaggerates and hyperbolizes damn near everything said by the other side. for the most part the criticisms are fact-based and unarguable, eg pointing out sam's repeated poor throws to open receivers. these posts get characterized as if it's all just a witch hunt against poor ole sam when the reality of it is that objective observers can see that sam has a few glaring flaws that a really good team like oklahoma might exploit.

in other words we wouldn't be surprised if blitz packages and disguised coverages lead sam to turning the ball over, or if OU decides to blitz on every single 3rd down and 4+ because sam has proven that he can't hit an open wr even when he has a clean pocket. we won't be surprised if accounting for 6 total offensive points vs OU results in a blowout loss. we hope that sam has his best game as a longhorn, but we are far from sold that he is going to go out and do just that. we don't hate sam, we aren't shitting on him, were simply being objective in the face of all of this hypersensitivity to crticism:

at the end of the day these takes are not unreasonable, and the fact that every pro-sam post in this thread gets pos repped by the same group of posters is amusing but sad, and indeed an indictment on the state of this board. the sunshine pumping elements of hornfans permeate this thread like my stomach permeates an airline seat. it's disgusting. 

Its the fact that every week you come in and copy and paste the same garbage. WE KNOW HE HAS LIMITATIONS... WE KNOW. I don't need Goo Punch to tell me every week he struggles with the deep ball. If you have some new ground breaking criticism than go for it. Sam has probably been at his best this season against the blitz because it forces him to get the ball out quick, so I hope OU just pins their ears back and leaves that undersized pussy ass secondary on their own against LJH and CJ. Please Mike Stoops, listen to Goo Punch, blitz us to death.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I’m not going to sit here and tell you that the dude is super fucking accurate and drops a dime every single throw because I’m well aware he isn’t. But to sit here and pick apart his misses while not acknowledging where he is excelling is bullshit. He moves the chains with his feet, is completing passes (no matter how simple) at a high percentage, and isn’t turning the ball over. He has a defense to back him up and doesn’t have an overpowering offensive line to gash defenses in the run game. Herman wants to steadily drive the ball down the field with a shot here and there and let the defense work. The connections on the deep ball will come and we will never look back. 

He is inaccurate, that is fact. Completion % be damned. Watch the game with your eyes.

Half of his completed passes are shit throws that if he was accurate would go for considerably more yardage.

That is not opinion, it’s fact.

That doesn’t mean he can’t be effective so long as he doesn’t turn the ball over, but he is who he is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Sam just played 3 defenses better than OU's with 0 turnovers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

I’m not going to sit here and tell you that the dude is super fucking accurate and drops a dime every single throw because I’m well aware he isn’t. But to sit here and pick apart his misses while not acknowledging where he is excelling is bullshit. He moves the chains with his feet, is completing passes (no matter how simple) at a high percentage, and isn’t turning the ball over. He has a defense to back him up and doesn’t have an overpowering offensive line to gash defenses in the run game. Herman wants to steadily drive the ball down the field with a shot here and there and let the defense work. The connections on the deep ball will come and we will never look back. 

pointing out that we scored 6 offensive points vs k state isn't "sitting around picking apart his misses", it's just an observation that doesn't inspire confidence. everyone keeps saying, "but we only had the ball 8 times!" and that's fine, but it's not some absolving excuse. people act like we had 8 long, sustained, 13-play drives by design to run the clock out when the reality is that we only scored 19 points all day and our offense never really got going, thanks in no small part to poor qb play when it mattered. yes, he has improved- i'm not seeing anyone who doesn't acknowledge this. we're still allowed to point out that he hasn't exactly been inspiring a lot of confidence in his play heading into the ou game.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

pointing out that we scored 6 offensive points vs k state isn't "sitting around picking apart his misses", it's just an observation that doesn't inspire confidence. everyone keeps saying, "but we only had the ball 8 times!" and that's fine, but it's not some absolving excuse. people act like we had 8 long, sustained, 13-play drives by design to run the clock out when the reality is that we only scored 19 points all day and our offense never really got going, thanks in no small part to poor qb play when it mattered. yes, he has improved- i'm not seeing anyone who doesn't acknowledge this. we're still allowed to point out that he hasn't exactly been inspiring a lot of confidence in his play heading into the ou game.

5 of the 8 drives were 10+ plays. One of those drives being the Jamison reverse field fuck fest that killed any chance of picking up a first down. The game plan was to let the D win it for us. Herman admitted we got too conservative but I’d say the game plan was to let the defense work. 

• Like 1

I vote for this option. With the caveat that we can still come bitch and moan online because internet.
Thats gonna happen.
5 of the 8 drives were 10+ plays. One of those drives being the Jamison reverse field fuck fest that killed any chance of picking up a first down. The game plan was to let the D win it for us. Herman admitted we got too conservative but I’d say the game plan was to let the defense work. 

That reverse was a stupid call there, just like it has been every time it’s been dialed up. It was made worse by that bit of running.

11 hours ago, stork642 said:

I'm confused.  I thought you were a closet Aggey.   I had no idea you were a sooner.  You learn something new everyday.  

Nah man he went to McCombs and parties on Sixth Street. He's as Texas as DKR's sweat-stained undies.  

13 hours ago, Fico said:

He is inaccurate, that is fact. Completion % be damned. Watch the game with your eyes.

Half of his completed passes are shit throws that if he was accurate would go for considerably more yardage.

That is not opinion, it’s fact.

That doesn’t mean he can’t be effective so long as he doesn’t turn the ball over, but he is who he is.

Yeah, I'm really not sure why people can't agree with this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Case McCoy beat OU.  So can Sam.  

And if he does, that will be the response - after being certain that we can't win the game with Sam at QB, instead of admitting maybe he's worth a shit, we're going to hear "So what? Even Case beat 0U..."

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

And if he does, that will be the response - after being certain that we can't win the game with Sam at QB, instead of admitting maybe he's worth a shit, we're going to hear "So what? Even Case beat 0U..."

negged. posts like this are *the worst*. i haven't seen a single post here that says that we can't beat ou with sam, for starters. and second, getting upset at/bitching about some made up, fantastical future post that only exists in your head shows that it's actually *you* who is so dead set against the opposing view that you're just gong to bitch no matter what. preemptively whining about shit that's not even going to happen is the kind of thing that makes this place ridiculous, not honest criticism of our starting qb.

• Like 2

and furthermore, what you're describing is pretty much what's already being done by the sam supporters- because we're winning none of his obvious flaws matter or are allowed to be discussed. because we're winning we all have to sit around slurping our mediocre qb, right? and you have the nerve to preemptively bitch about essentially the same thing happening just from the opposing pov. give me a break.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

and furthermore, what you're describing is pretty much what's already being done by the sam supporters- because we're winning none of his obvious flaws matter or are allowed to be discussed. because we're winning we all have to sit around slurping our mediocre qb, right? and you have the nerve to preemptively bitch about essentially the same thing happening just from the opposing pov. give me a break.

Statistics, abilities, and potential be damned. 

We should all be Sam supporters.  The fact that you posit yourself against "them" tells me you're more invested in winning arguments than you are in winning games.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Posting_Tip_35.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Statistics, abilities, and potential be damned. 

We should all be Sam supporters.  The fact that you posit yourself against "them" tells me you're more invested in winning arguments than you are in winning games.

i'm literally talking about the people who are supporting sam in this thread- i don't know how else you'd like me to refer to them. i could call them the sunshine pumping, overly sensitive bunch of knobs, but "sam supporters" seems nicer and 100% accurate, so.

rRAVpp.gif

That’s your answer? A game the defense only gave up 16 fucking points and forced 4 TOs? I don’t know what to tell you if you think Sam won that game. He didn’t lose it, and right now I think that’s all he’s being asked to do. Eventually, he’s going to have to show out and win a game because the defense has a bad day. It may not be this season or next. It may be tomorrow.
  • Like 2

He's missed some wide open receivers, and completed some where the receiver had to stop or go to the ground to make the catch, but he's in the top 40 in completion %.   He's absolutely inaccurate if Colt is the comparison, but not so much if you are comparing him to the pool of NCAA QBs currently playing.  As long as he keeps his turnovers at zero and shows steady improvement in finding open guys and hitting guys in stride as the season continues, I won't complain about him.