The Morning After

Ghost of Shag

31 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

I think Mike Emfinger said it best.

What we've got in Tom Herman is another John Mackovic.

On steroids.

For all of Mackovic's suck, his offense at least had an identity. I can't name one thing that this team does consistently well. 

They do have time to change that, but not much. I'm not holding my breath.

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

For all of Mackovic's suck, his offense at least had an identity. I can't name one thing that this team does consistently well. 

The one thing we do well is to immediately go away from the one thing that is working

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The one thing we do well is to immediately go away from the one thing that is working

No shit. We go up tempo to produce a great drive to put a quick 7 on the board, then abandon it.  Ingram gives us a spark and then we tell him to have a seat.  Frustrating as all hell.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

After I read the Mackovic comment I looked up his record.  Not really that great but he recruited some good players and had flashes of brilliance.  I haven't seen anything like that from Herman.

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Herman has to win the conference a couple of times to earn that comparison.   So far he's just an asshole version of Charlie. 

Thank you for that.

John Mackovic DID win a couple of league titles for us, began the turn-around against aggy, and gave us that first B12 title.

Mac did a few good things in between "we didn't have the QB sneak in the game plan" and "the fans will just have to get over losing to Rice".

Mensa ain't done shit, except beat MO in the Donald Duck 6-6 Bowl. And that's just not enough.

Here’s my best swing at optimism after sleeping on this loss:

1) The loss is early and inconsequential for rational fans that knew we’re not a playoff team. Gives us three weeks to fix things before conference play. Whether that happens our not is a whole different argument but at least the opportunity is there.

2) Coaches and players got a wake up call similar to last season. Maybe this time will lead to more wins because I still feel our schedule is easier this time around. 

3) I like what I saw from 2018 guys. Specifically Ingram, Sterns, and Foster. Even Jamison and Moore look to have potential.

4) I like what saw out of our RB group as a whole. It is Maryland but I don’t know if any team we play is gonna be much more of a threat to the running game.

5) O-Line looks to be improved. Not great but better. Not many holding penalties and gave Sam plenty of time on most occasions. This loss in no way is on them.

6) Herman has to know in his mind that Beck is not the right man for the job and will at some point have to take over playcalling completely. 

It sucks right now now but the season is not over. Still have some things to look forward to

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

We consistently underperform as well as anybody. 

37 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

A decade of this.

I’m a pessimistic fan anyway, so at least I’m always prepared to be disappointed.

4 decades ago, I woke up on Saturdays, excited about the game, and ready to brag to my friends all week.

Now, I’m just glad that that most of my employees are female, so I can silently hide my shame.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

1) The loss is early and inconsequential for rational fans that knew we’re not a playoff team. Gives us three weeks to fix things before conference play. Whether that happens our not is a whole different argument but at least the opportunity is there.

2) Coaches and players got a wake up call similar to last season. Maybe this time will lead to more wins because I still feel our schedule is easier this time around. 

3) I like what I saw from 2018 guys. Specifically Ingram, Sterns, and Foster. Even Jamison and Moore look to have potential.

4) I like what saw out of our RB group as a whole. It is Maryland but I don’t know if any team we play is gonna be much more of a threat to the running game.

5) O-Line looks to be improved. Not great but better. Not many holding penalties and gave Sam plenty of time on most occasions. This loss in no way is on them.

6) Herman has to know in his mind that Beck is not the right man for the job and will at some point have to take over playcalling completely. 

It sucks right now now but the season is not over. Still have some things to look forward to

I get all of this. But what the two MD games have proven, as well as Tech last year and the SMU loss at Houston, is that Herman’s ceiling is a more mediocre Mark Richt. He is always going to lose 2-4 games he shouldn’t, maybe steal a win he shouldn’t get, and TX under him will be at best somewhere just outside of top 15. That seems like best case to me.  

Right now, as someone above succinctly put, he is just an asshole version of Charlie Strong.

33 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Herman has to win the conference a couple of times to earn that comparison.   So far he's just an asshole version of Charlie. 

exactly, he's another mid-major fraud on the big stage.  we need to quit hiring these types of "promising" coaches.  fuck mack brown for stopping the saban to Texas train

10 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

2) Coaches and players got a wake up call similar to last season. Maybe this time will lead to more wins because I still feel our schedule is easier this time around. SO you're saying we have a coaching staff that didn't learn from its previous mistakes, that failed to do everything in their power to make sure it wouldn't happen again.  Sounds optimistic to me.

3) I like what I saw from 2018 guys. Specifically Ingram, Sterns, and Foster. Even Jamison and Moore look to have potential. Thankfully,  the next coach, hopefully one with a pedigree in a Power 5 program will inherent some talent and will know how to use it effectively.

4) I like what saw out of our RB group as a whole. It is Maryland but I don’t know if any team we play is gonna be much more of a threat to the running game. SO you like the fact that Ingram scored on a nice looking cut back run and then fucking disappeared for the rest of the game.  You like the fact that this coaching staff doesn't know why it is important to put their best players on the field and keep them their and use them.

5) O-Line looks to be improved. Not great but better. Not many holding penalties and gave Sam plenty of time on most occasions. This loss in no way is on them. they couldn't get worse than last year, the healthiest horse at the glue factory ain't ready for the derby

6) Herman has to know in his mind that Beck is not the right man for the job and will at some point have to take over playcalling completely. SO you're saying Herman has a lot in common with Strong.  Both keep lame duck OCs around way to long rather than do what the rest of the planet knows is the right thing to do and make an immediate change to preserve their jobs.

It'll suck worse at the end of this year

All you need to know about Herman was on display yesterday.

Start the game with a delay of game and equipment violation. ???

The exact same disjointed crap they called an offense last year is still in place. Brand new coordinator /interim head coach for Maryland had their offense look like it knew what it wanted to do.

He says player accountability is paramount, but evidently coach accountability is not.

• Like 2

And he took down aggy and nebraska when corn was on top. 2 conference championships.

31 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

I hope so.

There's some long-term, proven, good coaches out there.

Leach, Peterson, Patterson jump to mind.

From what I remember about Peterson moving to Washington, it had to do with a doctor for his kid moving from the practice he was at in Boise to Washington. So he went there for his kid's health, I believe. If this is true the. The key is getting that doctor to move down to Austin. Bada-bing, bada-boom, Peterson will be the next HC at Texas.

• Haha 1

I woke up with slight headache, but feeling more positive than last night.

Defense played well after 1st quarter. They adjusted and handled jet action well from there. 

OLine some improvement. Blitzes picked up. Very few, if any, jailbreak scenarios on Sam if I remember correctly.  

There’s things to build on. All of the team’s realistic goals are achievable. Let’s build against Tulsa and then really see where we’re at on the 15th.

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

exactly, he's another mid-major fraud on the big stage.  we need to quit hiring these types of "promising" coaches.  fuck mack brown for stopping the saban to Texas train

The fact that we hired a guy who had just finished the season with the 5th best conference record in the AAC tells you how fucked things are in Belmont. Hopefully CDC can accelerate the unfucking process but its a tall task.

1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I want to believe, especially with 1 and 6.  But damn, this fucking sucks.  

Morning after, I still don't think Herman is the guy.

of note:

*Kansas lost to Nichols, so we should beat them

*KSU struggled mightily at home against S. Dakota, only pulling out a 3 put win in the 4th

*USC was in a fight with UNLV until the 4th when they pulled away, the defense is exploitable if only we had an OC who knew shit about calling plays to exploit tendencies (like Canada running the jet sweep 50 times in a row on us). 

Based on our offense 6-6 or worse seems extremely likely at this point.  Every position has more experience and by all rights should be an improvement over last year but looks just as bad. 

I have confidence the D will improve but not be as effective as last season because that's where we took almost all the hits losing Poona, Malik, Elliott, and hill.  Need to focus on forcing turnovers and trying to score for obvious reasons.  

Just now, Treefidy said:

Morning after, I still don't think Herman is the guy.

of note:

*Kansas lost to Nichols, so we should beat them

*KSU struggled mightily at home against S. Dakota, only pulling out a 3 put win in the 4th

*USC was in a fight with UNLV until the 4th when they pulled away, the defense is exploitable if only we had an OC who knew shit about calling plays to exploit tendencies (like Canada running the jet sweep 50 times in a row on us). 

Based on our offense 6-6 or worse seems extremely likely at this point.  Every position has more experience and by all rights should be an improvement over last year but looks just as bad. 

I have confidence the D will improve but not be as effective as last season because that's where we took almost all the hits losing Poona, Malik, Elliott, and hill.  Need to focus on forcing turnovers and trying to score for obvious reasons.  

Good points; however,  I thought we'd be in a couple of games before yesterday that, I'm pretty sure, are now definite losses.  

Originally, I had Texas with 7 wins and 5 tossup games.

Now I'm at 5 wins, 3 tossups, and 3 definite losses.