Dallas Cowboys 2018 Regular Season Thread

Vic Mackey

As others have mentioned, we were told, notably by some loud folks here, that we didn't need those guys.  We didn't need replacements.... after all, like in 2016 when Cole Beasley was our leading receiver, we'd be fine.  It would be better!!!  So easy to play offense with JAG talent at receiver or TE.
We don't need them. This offense was bad with those 3 to end last year. It goes beyond those 2. Mainly the regression of the QB.

59 minutes ago, DougO said:

Rishard Matthews asked for and obtained his release from the Titans. He's been a pretty good receiver, better than anyone currently on the Cowboys roster. No matter, the Cowboys probably won't look at him.

The Cowboys actually looking at a player that can help them out? Fat chance. We will go find some receiver at Lowe's who hasn't played in 3 years.

Jerry Jones on with The Fan this morning says he sees similarities between our offense and the Rams. Lmao. That is our drunken owner ladies and gentlemen. What a fucking joke. The Rams are on pace to become one of the most prolific offenses this league has seen. Meanwhile, our offense struggles to score one single TD a game. Goff usually has our average passing yards by the 2nd qtr.

It's depressing watching that game last night and knowing how many light years away we are from an offense such as the Rams. Hell we aren't even close to the Vikings level, which has a pretty good offense but it just wasn't any match for the Rams.

Rams might have as good of offense as the 99 team.

• Like 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Jerry Jones on with The Fan this morning says he sees similarities between our offense and the Rams. Lmao. That is our drunken owner ladies and gentlemen. What a fucking joke. The Rams are on pace to become one of the most prolific offenses this league has seen. Meanwhile, our offense struggles to score one single TD a game. Goff usually has our average passing yards by the 2nd qtr.

It's depressing watching that game last night and knowing how many light years away we are from an offense such as the Rams. Hell we aren't even close to the Vikings level, which has a pretty good offense but it just wasn't any match for the Rams.

One of his reasons for the comparison and this is no joke He said...They had Austin last year and we have Austin this year.

34 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

One of his reasons for the comparison and this is no joke He said...They had Austin last year and we have Austin this year.

Yep except when he was with the Rams, they had him in motion constantly. He might not put up big stats but he is still someone the defenses have to account for. He can take it to the house any time he touches the ball. But of course, we don't utilize him in that manner.

I'm reading the new book Big Game by Mark Leibovich.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Game-NFL-Dangerous-Times/dp/0399185429/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538163587&sr=8-1&keywords=big+game+the+nfl+in+dangerous+times

Pretty meh book, but in one of the chapters the author describes a sit-down he had with Jerruh soon after Jerruh was voted for induction into the HoF.  It's pretty telling that Jerruh said he would NOT trade his golden jacket for another Super Bowl ring.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Mother fucker mixes bath salts with his johnnie walker blue

33 minutes ago, futureman said:

I bet he is a fucking riot to go out drinking with.  can you imagine getting wasted with jerry in the early 90s?  I bet he had some good times.  

According to stories and pictures, he has some pretty damn good times still.  

I was at Irvin's HOF induction ceremony and got to go to the after party since my sister (no pics) was hired on as his official photographer for the weekend.  I got to lug around her camera gear for the most part, but got to drink and have fun at the party.  

Well, I'm standing at the bar and ordering a beer and a gin drink for myself, when Jerruh walks up.  He puts his arm around me and says, "Hey there bud, how's it goin?  Having a good time?"  (I had met him earlier during the party when my sister had been talking to Jean (many pics of Jean available))   "How bout we get a scotch drink?  Hey keep, get me and Trey here a scotch drink! My scotch drink!!!!!"   

Keep proceeds to pull out the JW Blue and start pouring us drinks.   Well apparently, he wasn't pouring it fast or deep enough.  Jerruh takes the bottle from him, grabs 2, 16 oz glasses, throws what little rocks we had from our 9 oz glasses, and takes the pour spout of the bottle and proceeds to fill the damn glass to the rim.  He then gave the bottle back to the guy and looks at me and says, "Thanks for being here, Son, what a great night."    Walks off.  

I'm in shock, and soon after, I was in drunk. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

And they don't have him, and now they're unstoppable, because they picked up receivers that they hoped would develop into something...and they actually did.

The Ringer on our Tecmo Bowl offensive concepts

Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott may still be around, but the vaunted 2016 Cowboys offense couldn’t feel farther away. During the past two years, this unit has wandered into Bizarro World: The aspects of the team that seemed set in stone have changed, and the parts that needed changing have stayed the same. Frederick is out indefinitely after being diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome, and in his absence, the days of Dallas’s offensive line dominance seem to be over. Though the Cowboys drafted franchise cornerstones Prescott and Elliott two years ago, they’ve held onto regressive concepts that are only fit for an outdated version of the league. Other teams have embraced modern ideas like altering receiver alignments, incorporating various motions, and increasing play-action, but this offense has completely stagnated. All of that has left “America’s Team” with no discernible identity. And it begs the question of what, exactly, the Dallas Cowboys mean in 2018.

The lack of ingenuity in the Cowboys’ current playbook is stupefying. Against Seattle, Prescott threw 34 passes. A wide receiver went in motion on just three of those plays (two of which were completions to Cole Beasley, and at 18 and 16 yards respectively, they were the Cowboys’ longest passes of the game). Dallas used a receiver stack once—sort of. Near the goal line, Swaim lined up somewhat near a receiver and half-heartedly tried to clear out the defensive back. The Seahawks thwarted that immediately.

A horrifying percentage of the Cowboys’ pass plays look like a variation of the same route combination. Three or four receivers, all of whom start in isolation on the outside, run to certain points downfield and turn around. That’s it. Sometimes their depths are staggered. Sometimes they’re not. There are no mesh designs. There are no rub routes. There are no bunch concepts. Occasionally, receivers will cross paths or run complementary routes, but just as often, they won’t. The Cowboys’ staff has done next to nothing to scheme their pass catchers open, so they’re left trying to create separation on their own—and considering the overall lack of receiving talent on this roster, that’s a challenge, even against a decimated secondary like Seattle’s.

QBs are much more effective when they get a number of easy completions schemed up for them early in the game. It gets them into a rhythm, and much like with shooting a basketball, early, easy completions can result in tougher, more difficult passes getting completed later on. The Cowboys' offensive staff approaches the game as if they are so much more imposing than the opposition that getting them off balance conceptually is wholly unnecessary. 

34 minutes ago, 'stache said:

https://www.facebook.com/NFL/videos/477410136109275/
Fuck this franchise and fuck all of you who thought Dak was better than Romo. He’s the only reason Jerry’s bullshit teams were ever relevant. I’ll murder anyone who talks shit on Romo. Jerry is and always has been the problem.

romo would have won us a super bowl in 2016.  I said it then and my friends would dogcuss me for it.  now they just shrug.  dak is a low-ceiling scrub.  overdrafted in the 4th round. 

• Like 1

Football Life Romo is hard to watch. What a waste. Will probably be the last Cowboy jersey I own so safe to say I was on team Romo. Is there any doubt who called and ran that offense during the Garrett years? He literally says he changed the play to end the 49er game when he had broken ribs. Romo was the qb and offensive coordinator the last half of his career. If it wasn’t obvious and known before it is now watching this current abortion of an offense.

4 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

302 yards 3 TD 1 int 103 QB rating led them on the drive the took the lead with 35 seconds left. Not much else you can do as a QB

romo would have managed the offense better, managed the clock better, made better decisions, probably passed for 400+ and 5 TD and after smoking the packers would have hoisted the lombardi trophy three weeks later. 

21 hours ago, futureman said:

romo would have managed the offense better, managed the clock better, made better decisions, probably passed for 400+ and 5 TD and after smoking the packers would have hoisted the lombardi trophy three weeks later. 

What a dumbshit. Yeah, because Romo showed out so well under pressure of win or go home situations the previous 10 years so he would have miraculously turned to Superman and led a team with zero defense to a super bowl title. A guy that won 2 fucking playoff games in 10 years of playing. 

Shut the fuck up you Rex Kramer sock. 

Dak seemed like he was extremely accurate today. Great season saving performance with a limited palette to work with.

Zeke was money, NFL player of the week is a very good possibility.

Maher came through.

This team still kinda sucks, but they were finished if they didn't pull this one out. Credit to the boys for gutting out an ugly win at home.