Who are your top 3 realistic choices to replace Herman?

Beau Vine

32 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Why is no one mentioning Peterson this time around? He’s probably the best coach that isn’t in a place where it would be national news for him to leave. He does have a history of loyalty but it’s not like he has set his whole life up in Seattle or something. 

Gundy is also very interesting and Shaw is too a lesser extent as well.  If you knew Herman was going to be this bad I would have just gone after Richt while he was on the outs.  Worst case you could always take a swing at petrino before going after an inexperienced Hc. 

Man, fuck richt. Gundy would probably do well, I think Shaw would do better.  

Not sure about the Peterson guy but Petersen in Washington can certainly turn a program around quickly.  Can he win the big one though?  He's basically taken oregons spot with a down USC and appears to be the next "almost there" chip Kelley.  Still a massive upgrade and he probably doesn't shit in the players eggs.  

On 9/2/2018 at 6:58 PM, Tom said:

Patterson is TCU's Bill Snyder.  He's going to get a statue and a street named after him for turning around a program that was complete shit for 4 decades into a national powerhouse.  

He's allowed to have down years every now and again in Fort Worth and not feel the heat from dozens of angry boosters and thousands of never satisfied fans.

He's not giving that all up to come here.  Not now, not ever.

This. And add to it that his wife, Kelsey, is Ft. Worth, through and through. I don't think you could get her to move anywhere else, so Gary's not leaving. Also, he won't coach forever. He'll probably coach another 5 years or so, but strong rumor is he wants some retirement years to travel, etc. So why go to some program that needs building? Both TCU and Ft Worth already consider him a legend.

And BTW, he already has a statue at TCU. Unveiled several years ago.59c830958f1e5-coachps.jpg

Dabo, won a National Championship

Harsin, has won 10+ games 3 out of his 5 seasons has a head coach. My guess is Rising would be tailored made for his offense. The only thing I wonder about, is can he recruit to be big time program. Because he'd have to leave pretty much his entire coaching staff at Boise.

Shanahan, Like to see what he does this year, but his pro experience could be enticing to recruits, also an alum that wants the job.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Why is no one mentioning Peterson this time around? He’s probably the best coach that isn’t in a place where it would be national news for him to leave. He does have a history of loyalty but it’s not like he has set his whole life up in Seattle or something. 

Gundy is also very interesting and Shaw is too a lesser extent as well.  If you knew Herman was going to be this bad I would have just gone after Richt while he was on the outs.  Worst case you could always take a swing at petrino before going after an inexperienced Hc. 

those are exactly the 3 I mentioned in my previous post.  Petersen is the answer but I'd take either Gundy or Shaw.  The fit the requirements.  of the 3 I think Gundy is the most likely

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

How about: Someone found via a legitimate coaching search and proper interviews.

There is no #2 or #3

You mean not interviewing exactly one candidate for a few hours in the middle of the night and then handing him $5M/year?  I like the way you think.

Dabo, Patterson, and Shaw are not going to leave their respective programs for a rebuild at Texas. They're at the places which fit them best in terms of culture. I also don't want to see Shaw's offense here. 

I'm only listing coaches who are proven at a P5 program:

- Gus Malzhan. He considered leaving for Arkansas last year, Texas might be enough to draw him away. He's not Saban, but he will recruit, develop, and be good enough to win the B12 most years with a competent offense. Malzhan's the most realistic/high upside option that we can pluck. 

- If there's a coach worth throwing fuck you money at, it's Peterson. I didn't think he would ever Boise, and I was wrong. However, he has a good thing going at Washington and I'm again unsure if he would leave.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't know who is the best option, but I do this: it needs to happen fast and it needs to be a big splash.  Not a guy who has potential and might prove himself, a big fucking splash.  He needs to pull assistants who make a big fucking splash, and who recruits salivate to play for.

And that's really what it's all about right now.  The 2 things that will make all the difference in how long it takes to get us back on track are getting the right staff and doing it before our recruiting classes have tanked.  Even if we get the first part right, but it moves too slowly, it's going to take that staff a long time to show it because they won't have the talent.

Top in state talent will always have ou and aggy calling on them, too.  Given the option, objectively speaking, which coaching staff are you willing to bet your college career on at that point?  Could that change as the season goes on?  Sure, but I wouldn't bet on it right now. 

So, we miss on most of the tier one talent, but there's a wealth of talent in the state, so we'll still get ours, right?  After ou and aggy (and all of the blue bloods who recruit here every year), we're still looking at tcu, OK state, west VA, hell tech looks way more exciting if you're an offensive player vs our shitshow. 

Point being, this is the grim reality staring us in the face if we move too slowly or get another "meh" guy from a mid major in hopes that he can pull a big time staff and make it work at this level.  We tried that experiment twice and failed. With our two primary recruiting threats apparently peaking simultaneously with new coaches, this is the time we cannot afford to move slowly or take risks on up and comers.  

Even if the hire doesn't work out, it needs to be a big enough name to carry recruiting for a couple of years in reputation alone. If we fail to do this, I think we're in for another 10 years of what we've just seen, and 20 year olds who have never seen a good Texas team. 

The only thing that gives me hope in all of this is that CDC is running the show.  We'll know by January if he's the leader we need in Bellmont, or just a really really good fundraiser. 

The only thing we have to do to recruit well is pay recruits. The elite programs are all doing it and we're way behind the curve. I don't think any coach we bring in will be able to consistently recruit in the top 5 without doing it.  It just depends on what you're willing to allow as a fan to win.

Seriously, Leach is the only one who makes sense to the Surly Hive Mind.

1. You want a guy with a proven track record at a P5 school. He has that at two of them.

2. Few of you have mentioned this, but Leach has a proven track record recruiting Texas.

3. Some of you don't want a fat fuck, so that eliminates Patterson and certainly Mangino. I'm alright with not hiring Mangino because he is also a giant asshole, but seriously? Patterson is too fat to coach here? You'd rather lose to him every year because he doesn't have a 26.2 (or whatver) sticker in the back window of his SUV?

4. We're Texas. We should fucking stir things up. Our press conferences shouldn't be the usual Mack era coach speak or Herman's narcissistic bullshit.

5. Aggy would flip their collective wigs. They dread him like no other man on earth. He is the Jimbo-Neutralizer. 

Guys for fans to monitor over the next two years or so, if you think Herman won't get the job done, separated by tier. Guys like Petersen, Dabo, and Patterson would get me excited, although they don't seem to be attainable. Maybe Patterson would be interested in bailing on TCU knowing that they'll likely get left behind in realignment, I don't know. The top group would have me excited this year, the rest would need a lot of explanation and justification, although perhaps their resumes become more attractive with time. Guys with P5 HC experience have the best hit rate, and should generally be at the top of the list. 

Gus Malzahn
James Franklin
Mike Gundy
Justin Fuente
Matt Campbell
Kyle Shannahan

PJ Fleck
Justin Wilcox

Seth Littrell
Mike MacIntyre
Bryan Harsin
Mike Norvell
Chad Morris
Joe Moorehead
Brian Brohm

Scott Satterfield
Dave Arranda
Brent Venables
Craig Bohl
Dino Babers
Neal Brown
Josh Huepel
Sean Lewis

Names left off for various reasons: Saban, Peterson, Patterson, Meyer, Jimbo, Chip/Brian Kelly, Shaw, Smart, Harbaugh, Pruitt, Richt, Carroll, Chryst, Cristobal, Whittingham, Briles, and Fitzgerald

Unless a coach is caught mid season in the commission of a felony or abuse of players, etc., there is no reason to shit-can the guy until the season is over. That doesn’t mean an AD at some point won’t put out feelers through agents to potential HCs to gage interest during the season  

If the season from here on goes in the shitter posting a 5-7 or worse, and other factors indicate there will be no improvement in the future, then termination is appropriate at season’s end. Yeah, it’s costly to make a change and make the payoffs, but crappy seasons drive down revenue and the ability to recruit good/great players. It will be interesting to see how CDC monitors the program for the rest of the year. 

Make Pete Carroll turn down five years, $50M.  Makes, what, $8.8M now?  Guys 66.  He's in contract through 2019.  

After how Mack left, Charlie, and now Herman, we're not getting a top-tier college coach to come knocking on our door "because we're Texas".  We just aren't unless we throw Jimbo money at them.  Jimbo was also unhappy, and he and the school didn't see eye to eye.  That's not the case with Peterson, or Shaw, or any of these other guys.  

We're a shit-show right now.  Why the hell would Patterson come here?  He's been raping us YOY form where he is.  He's got a young, salty team and a dynamic QB.  He's going to ass-rape us this year also.  Texas, if they can't get a top guy, is actually going to have to do their homework.  Do this the old fashioned way like OU did with Stoops and then Riley.  And find a diamond in the rough.  This is so GD depressing to have fallen this far....

My concern with Fuente is that he is an offensive coach who’s teams at Virginia Tech have had better defenses than offenses. Sound familiar?

Im starting to think that’s a red flag after Herman. But if his offenses improve in a year or two he could be a good pick, provided he gets an elite DC.

15 hours ago, dcar00 said:

those are exactly the 3 I mentioned in my previous post.  Petersen is the answer but I'd take either Gundy or Shaw.  The fit the requirements.  of the 3 I think Gundy is the most likely

Shaw would be the highest risk in my opinion. Gundy definitely the most likely. I think Petersen is the only one that could win the mnc. 

I'm curious to see what happens with James Franklin. He clearly knows what he's doing. He's a very good coach and recruiter. I've heard rumblings that he's frustrated with how difficult it is to get the gears turning on facilities upgrades in State College because of how disorganized their booster network is nowadays. Maybe that leads him to have wandering eyes, but he is from Pennsylvania and went to college there (if that matters). If their season turns out how I think it will (10-2 +/- 1) I think he should be number one on the list.

Also Boom is an interesting option.  I think he's made his mistakes at two stops and would hope he has learned from those and is moving forward to being a great HC.  Is his current OC all he could get at uSC or is he just not good at getting a solid OC.  His staff there looks like a patchwork.  He's similar to Charlie in this regard.  

20 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I'm curious to see what happens with James Franklin. He clearly knows what he's doing. He's a very good coach and recruiter. I've heard rumblings that he's frustrated with how difficult it is to get the gears turning on facilities upgrades in State College because of how disorganized their booster network is nowadays. Maybe that leads him to have wandering eyes, but he is from Pennsylvania and went to college there (if that matters). If their season turns out how I think it will (10-2 +/- 1) I think he should be number one on the list.

Franklin ran away from scandal at vandy... he seems like a good and competent coach but he has a feeling to me like a guy who will push the rules or disregard having strong oversight and then bail out while he is in good standing but there is trouble on the horizon. If he was a 10+ winner st Penn state each year and he jumped to a different program I would see that as a red flag. If you were going to go after him I would investigate his program he is leaving more than I would interview him. If PSU looks to be left in decent shape then I’d swing at him. But he could be leaving another player rape scandal and if you bring that guy in you can count on having them at your program. 

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Also Boom is an interesting option.  I think he's made his mistakes at two stops and would hope he has learned from those and is moving forward to being a great HC.  Is his current OC all he could get at uSC or is he just not good at getting a solid OC.  His staff there looks like a patchwork.  He's similar to Charlie in this regard.  

He has yet to field a competent offense and I don't want him here until he proves he can.  I loved boom as a DC here, but it's hard to understand why anyone wants him as a hc based on his tenure as a hc so far. 

40 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Shaw would be the highest risk in my opinion. Gundy definitely the most likely. I think Petersen is the only one that could win the mnc. 

Shaw is a great coach but I think would struggle the most here.  At minimum he would take the longest to rebuild bc our team is in no way built for what he wants to do.

Not every great coach is a good fit for our situation, and that's where I'm at with Shaw.  I don't think he'd come anyway, but if we're putting enough on the table to make a guy like him consider it, I think there will be better fits for us higher on the list. 

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Shaw is a great coach but I think would struggle the most here.  At minimum he would take the longest to rebuild bc our team is in no way built for what he wants to do.

Not every great coach is a good fit for our situation, and that's where I'm at with Shaw.  I don't think he'd come anyway, but if we're putting enough on the table to make a guy like him consider it, I think there will be better fits for us higher on the list. 

That's exactly why i say he is the highest risk.  He is slow and methodical and that might mean he is going to take the longest.  Plus he always has the loss each year that is a complete head scratcher.  When OU is in the conference the last thing UT needs to do is lose to OSU or WVU when UT should be a 1 loss team at worst.

I think Gundy would be the absolute best fit if you are going to find a P5 coach that doesn't have a championship to their name.  He has the energy, the charisma, the seemingly ever dicey situation at OSU, and he can win.  The only question is will he sell out and be hated by his alma mater for the rest of his life in exchange for some coin?  He's coached at OSU for 23 years in some form or fashion only leaving for 5 years of his career.  It would probably take $7mm a year to get him to leave and you'd probably have to guarantee 5 years or more.  You're basically asking a guy to never talk to his family again for some scratch when he is already making enough money and has the job security that his family will never have to worry about money again.  That would be a pretty tall order unless you could pay him $10-15mm more over the same amount of time that his current contract is.

It is too bad urban didn't get canned.  He'd sit in studio for a year and then be ready to come in half way through 2019.

One thing I do think is that UT fans/alumni need to stop trashing coaches from other schools.  Doing that is all good when you have a stable situation like you did with mack.  But when you are in the spot you are currently in it is hard to look at a guy like Pete Carroll and say "let's get him" when everyone within 10,000 miles of the program was trashing him for 8 years.  Same goes for guys like Jimbo, Saban, Harbaugh, Chip & Brian kelly.  I'm not saying you have to like their teams or even like them.  But if a coach is having success you've got to respect it or you put off a vibe that even if they had the same success at UT it would never be good enough.  No coach wants to walk into that culture and that is a fan culture, not an athletic department culture.  This is why it is always good to be the 2nd guy after the legendary coach, and not the first.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skyline said:

- If there's a coach worth throwing fuck you money at, it's Peterson. I didn't think he would ever Boise, and I was wrong. However, he has a good thing going at Washington and I'm again unsure if he would leave.

washington is a shit show on the administration level. i think he would listen to a texas overture. 

27 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

That's exactly why i say he is the highest risk.  He is slow and methodical and that might mean he is going to take the longest.  Plus he always has the loss each year that is a complete head scratcher.  When OU is in the conference the last thing UT needs to do is lose to OSU or WVU when UT should be a 1 loss team at worst.

I think Gundy would be the absolute best fit if you are going to find a P5 coach that doesn't have a championship to their name.  He has the energy, the charisma, the seemingly ever dicey situation at OSU, and he can win.  The only question is will he sell out and be hated by his alma mater for the rest of his life in exchange for some coin?  He's coached at OSU for 23 years in some form or fashion only leaving for 5 years of his career.  It would probably take $7mm a year to get him to leave and you'd probably have to guarantee 5 years or more.  You're basically asking a guy to never talk to his family again for some scratch when he is already making enough money and has the job security that his family will never have to worry about money again.  That would be a pretty tall order unless you could pay him $10-15mm more over the same amount of time that his current contract is.

It is too bad urban didn't get canned.  He'd sit in studio for a year and then be ready to come in half way through 2019.

One thing I do think is that UT fans/alumni need to stop trashing coaches from other schools.  Doing that is all good when you have a stable situation like you did with mack.  But when you are in the spot you are currently in it is hard to look at a guy like Pete Carroll and say "let's get him" when everyone within 10,000 miles of the program was trashing him for 8 years.  Same goes for guys like Jimbo, Saban, Harbaugh, Chip & Brian kelly.  I'm not saying you have to like their teams or even like them.  But if a coach is having success you've got to respect it or you put off a vibe that even if they had the same success at UT it would never be good enough.  No coach wants to walk into that culture and that is a fan culture, not an athletic department culture.  This is why it is always good to be the 2nd guy after the legendary coach, and not the first.

tenor.gif?itemid=3534534

3 hours ago, George Clooney said:

He covered up rape at Vanderbilt.

He's not even going to be on the list.

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He covered up rape at Vanderbilt.

He's not even going to be on the list.

The only thing to potentially model from Franklin is the idea that a coach can suck in Years 1 and 2 and get it turned around in Year 3. Still think he would have flamed out as quickly as Strong did here had we picked him instead. PSU plays ridiculously easy schedules.

48 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Wasn't Franklin on the list when we hired Strong?

Unless I am not remembering correctly, he was the only other coach that officially interviewed along with Strong. I think Mora had some preliminary conversations with Patterson but didn't come out and Briles supposedly only wanted the job offer and didn't want to interview.

11 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Just throwing this out. A friend thinks Urban Meyer has a real problem at Ohio State. The college may try to distance itself from him. Throw a lot of money at him. Worth keeping on the list. Good coach.

they'll make the playoffs without even trying hard, problem at Ohio state solved.

9 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I don't think he's worth it but it would be hilarious to pin aggy into a corner by offering Jimbo $10M/year. Make em pay for not putting a buyout in his contract. They'd match and be even more broke.

Why stop at 10?  I seriously do not think there's an amount of money we could offer Jimbo that they would not match and exceed.  Their entire existence now is based on their hatred of us and pride in Jimbo.  The idea of him leaving them for us is something they simply couldn't let happen no matter the cost.

I think if we offer 25 million a year, they'll offer 26, and they'd sell off half the campus to make it happen if they had to.  We could bankrupt every one of their bmd's and the entire university with the right offer. 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, BearSchlong said:

Oh bullshit. You know that if Briles was at Texas he wouldn't have gone through ANY of the ESPN investigative journalism gauntlet that led to his demise. Only the naive would believe otherwise.

The reason OU poaches Texas is because they do, regrettably, have a far superior football program. Light years ahead of Texas. Unfortunately that's not going to change for quite some time.

I wonder where Texas would be now if Boom had never gone to Florida.

I get that hindsights 20/20 but what you have now is more of the same which projects horribly.

I beg to differ.  Hate to piss on your "poor little baylor" comment but Texas gets raked over the coals for anything and everything.  The only time anyone hears about a baloor player is when the courts get involved.  Everything else is taken "care of".  No body gives 2 shits for baylor outside McLennan county, so for baylor to get that much coverage, it must have been really really bad.  Probably worse that we really know.  this sounds like something you would read on suck em 365.

• Like 1