Who are your top 3 realistic choices to replace Herman?

Beau Vine

12 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

No healthy program goes from #3 to desperately trying to make a bowl game even losing a their quarterback. Jimbo is a less successful mack brown and 2017 was jimbos 2010

Yeah, I mean OU didnt have to upset OSU in their final game to become bowl eligible the year Sam Bradford’s shoulder was knocked as out of alignment as his lazy eye. That never happens.  Until it does.  

It’d be nice to say that you’ve always got a 4 deep of capable QB’s that can easily get you to the post season should the starter go down.  But that isn’t the way it works. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

You gotta make Peterson and Franklin say no...then? you got me. We had to settle for Orgeron because we couldn't pay Herman enough to come to LSU over you guys...I think we're both going to be looking for new coaches soon....I just hope not at the same time.

Edited by austintiger
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Fuente

Gundy

Campbell if he wins 8 games this year, with at least one win over ou, tcu and wvu

These are sorts of profiles we should be looking for. Guys who understand the grind of a P5 schedule. There are too many gimmes in the G5 conferences. With our schedule you get one mediocre team in OOC and we don't even put that one at the beginning to give us a chance at even a tiny sliver of momentum. Everything else is a losable game. Even Kansas has players that can beat you or at least take their pound of flesh that leaves your team hurting the next week. It is better a coach that understands that dynamic even if they are losing some games because their try-hards can't regularly overcome the teams with legit talent. The problem of course is finding the right guy among the possibilities. 

46 minutes ago, austintiger said:

You gotta make Peterson and Franklin say no...then? you got me. We had to settle for Orgeron because we couldn't pay Herman enough to come to LSU over you guys...I think we're both going to be looking for new coaches soon....I just hope not at the same time.

Franklin was coming off a rape scandal at Vandy and came across as a douche...Why is the Ogre on the hot seat after a big win as and underdog?

15 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

These are sorts of profiles we should be looking for. Guys who understand the grind of a P5 schedule. There are too many gimmes in the G5 conferences. With our schedule you get one mediocre team in OOC and we don't even put that one at the beginning to give us a chance at even a tiny sliver of momentum. Everything else is a losable game. Even Kansas has players that can beat you or at least take their pound of flesh that leaves your team hurting the next week. It is better a coach that understands that dynamic even if they are losing some games because their try-hards can't regularly overcome the teams with legit talent. The problem of course is finding the right guy among the possibilities. 

And the guy we hired lost to two of those gimmes the year we hired him. Makes perfect sense looking back on it. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Leach's tenure at Texas would look a lot like Mackovic's. Lots of big wins, some really bad losses, maybe even a couple of conference championships.... and it would end really badly after 5-6 years. 

Conference championships are something the last dip shit never even came close to sniffing and the current arrogant dip shit will never sniff.  Leach built a perennial 6-6 team into a respectable team that was winning 8 or more games every season at Tech and at Washington St he turned around a team that was winning 2 games a season into a team that is winning 8-9 games. I'm sick of Texas hiring these phonies who win 10 games a season in some shitty backwater mid major conference and flame out in the most inglorious fashion. The worst part about Herman is that he's a major prick about it in the process. Could it really be any worse than being swept by a shitty Maryland team and losing to the Big 12's Junior College Kansas?

I used to be in this camp.  But now I’ve realized...the difference is that all 90% of those pricks you’re talking about have fucking won something.  When you get your ass handed to you by fucking Maryland 2 years in a row, and for all practical purposes, haven’t ever won shit, maybe look up the definition of humility in your Mensa studies.
I get that, I'm just saying prickishness alone isn't a good reason to shitcan a coach..and unless it's really bad (makes the university look prickish as well) shouldn't be considered at all, just overall job performance.

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

Boom would come here (if Mack was made to clean out his emeritus office which is a double bonus)

Too bad Mack didn't stick to his guns when Boom talked the big dogs into telling Mack to dump GDGD. As in 2003, Mack babbled about Greg being his Best Man/Friend (nttawwt) and claiming he'd quit before firing him - got his bluff called and fired him. Boom wanted Holgor the Barbarian, but salesman Mack talked them out of it. Mack wanted Chryst, Chryst interviwed, didn't like what he saw, and declined (said "fish rots from the head down"). Harsin was a damn good OC, but Mack saddled him with The Maj. 

I still believe Boom with Dana Holgorsen running the O would've kicked serious ass. Might still, with whatever OC he could come up with, not named Charlie Weis. 

THK5S

1. Saban - Make him say no. 

2. Patterson - Same as number one

3. Muschamp - Had FUPM beat bama in 09 I think Muschamp takes over and we're still rolling right now

4. Peterson - Reminds me a lot of a young FUPM, nice guy persona that wins a lot of games.

5. Pete Carroll - Seattle is about to be rather mediocre with the talent they've lost. 

No more up and comers. It's pretty clear Texas is NOT the place to learn on the job. Texas is a GD blueblood it's about damn time we start acting like it. Hire the best person possible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, US183 said:

Jimbo Fisher at $100 MIL over 8 years ....... at least this will piss off aggy 

That would be so hilarious, it would almost be worth doing it just to remind aggy of their place. I might even put Baggins on my list but for the whole covering up for a serial rapist thing.

As far as my top potential replacements, and I'm really not sure how realistic they are, I'd take Peterson, Dabo, or Gundy.

I'd want it made clear to Gundy that he had better hire a staff full of recruiting bad asses. Probably the most realistic choice and maybe even the best one.

I know Dabo's dirty, but at least he doesn't cover up rape or domestic abuse (at least, not that I know of. Yet). Plus, it's very clear that half the schools in the country, including a very, very high percentage the most successful ones, are cheating like hell with no consequences... If that's the new norm, I see no real reason not to join in.

I really doubt Peterson would come, but it's at least worth a phone call, right?

20 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So we’re doing this already, huh? We’re 3 years out, possibly more, from beginning the new coaching search. Sit back and enjoy the funeral. It’s going to take awhile.

TH will get this year and next. Lots can change in 2 years if and when Texas is looking again 

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think he’ll get 4 years. He’s a con-artist and will convince the powers that be that year 4 is when it will all come together.

he needs to stay regardless of him being a fraud or not.. all these coaching changes are just screwing it up for the next man in charge

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think this shit goes deeper than the coach at this point. This environment here is toxic and it starts at the top. 

Going back a few years...

The admin let Dodd run his fiefdom without interference.  Dodd allowed Mack to do whatever he wanted to do, and Mack’s last few years were a total shit show, both in terms of hiring and on-field performances.  He screwed up on coaching hires (and decisions like not letting Harsin actually run the offense).

When things finally hit bottom, the admin allowed the circus that was Patterson’s hiring and Mack’s firing (he deserved the firing, but as you recall it was handled poorly).  Patterson was an awful hire who created more issues, including making a bad decision hiring Strong.  Nice guy, in over his head, and another run like Mack’s last few years of hiring bad assistants.

Then the admin fired Patterson, and put in Perrin.  Perrin would have been fine for a 3-4 month stopgap but, instead, they let someone who had no clue of how to run a large, modern athletic department stay on as AD.  We would up with the embarrassing trip to try to convince a second-level OC to come to Texas, a poorly-run baseball coaching search (from which we somehow, with pure luck, wound up with a good coach), and a complete lack of a true coaching search, winding up with someone who, like his predecessor, seems to be in over his head.

Hopefully CDC can get this moving in the right direction.   If the admin allows it.

• Like 2

He’s won 22 district titles and 2 state championships. Actually, he just won district title #23 without his 5-star qb. Hes a hardass, but he gets results. Also, he has all of his players transcripts under review, so if he doesnt get what he wants, he can get their whole deal blown for em

Only downside is that he chokes his players from time to time.

9ea1d41e7efcd1ae880c3a4b662a8abf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

The admin let Dodd run his fiefdom without interference.  Dodd allowed Mack to do whatever he wanted to do, and Mack’s last few years were a total shit show, both in terms of hiring and on-field performances.  He screwed up on coaching hires (and decisions like not letting Harsin actually run the offense).

When things finally hit bottom, the admin allowed the circus that was Patterson’s hiring and Mack’s firing (he deserved the firing, but as you recall it was handled poorly).  Patterson was an awful hire who created more issues, including making a bad decision hiring Strong.  Nice guy, in over his head, and another run like Mack’s last few years of hiring bad assistants.

Then the admin fired Patterson, and put in Perrin.  Perrin would have been fine for a 3-4 month stopgap but, instead, they let someone who had no clue of how to run a large, modern athletic department stay on as AD.  We would up with the embarrassing trip to try to convince a second-level OC to come to Texas, a poorly-run baseball coaching search (from which we somehow, with pure luck, wound up with a good coach), and a complete lack of a true coaching search, winding up with someone who, like his predecessor, seems to be in over his head.

Hopefully CDC can get this moving in the right direction.   If the admin allows it.

This was just the football part. There was also Garrido, Barnes, Plonsky, and the Powers/Hall/Cigarroa/BOR debacle.

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

Leach's tenure at Texas would look a lot like Mackovic's. Lots of big wins, some really bad losses, maybe even a couple of conference championships.... and it would end really badly after 5-6 years. 

We will have to agree to disagree. I think Leach can bring us a NC. We'll damn sure beat MY, lol.

There's only one coach right now who is a) experienced enough to handle the pressure of a program like Texas, b) had success everywhere he's been including turning around a couple of wrecks, c) young enough to be dynamic and coach for a long time but old enough to be a known quantity.

That man is Rich Franklin.

I don't recommend him. But there it is.

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Actually, if I were being serious I’d guess the redacted number 1 is Art Briles.  He probably would win a lot of games, but fuck no, not in a million years, if he is who you’re talking about. 

Briles is a bit, ahem ... controversial. But he wins.

I think Leach or Patterson could bring Texas back.

However, I reserve the right to change my mind as circumstances dictate.

We're all just spit- balling.

We're stuck with Mensa Tom for god knows how long.

Maybe Tom will turn it around? Hope so. Don't think so.

31 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Actually, if I were being serious I’d guess the redacted number 1 is Art Briles.  He probably would win a lot of games, but fuck no, not in a million years, if he is who you’re talking about. 

Sadly, I was in the Briles camp when Mack was fired. Briles seemed like the best pick when the other choices on the table seemed to be Strong, Franklin, and Mora. I don't think Mora and Franklin would have lasted any longer than Strong. 

39 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

There's only one coach right now who is a) experienced enough to handle the pressure of a program like Texas, b) had success everywhere he's been including turning around a couple of wrecks, c) young enough to be dynamic and coach for a long time but old enough to be a known quantity.

That man is Rich Franklin.

I don't recommend him. But there it is.

Probably too many blows to the head. He was a sitting duck there at the end of his UFC run.

• Haha 1

You obviously make Gary Patterson say no. Don't go full aggy with a 10year /$75 million but a five/six year at or near the top of the salary totem pole nationally would be an enticing if he is interested.

Personally I doubt he'd come. Assuming he says no, do the same for Chris Petersen. If he declines, I'd like to see Harsin or Fuente, preferring the latter. Of course, I say this knowing full well that Herman isn't going anywhere barring a catastrophic 4-8 kind of year, and even then it isn't a sure thing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I actually was wanting him at that point when the other finalists were Mora, Franklin and Strong, too.  He was clearly the best coach on the field.  Thank God we didn’t hire him, even if we probably would have been better for a few years.

It is hard to believe that James Franklin still hasn't won as many games against ranked opponents at PSU after 5 years than Strong did in his 3 shitastic seasons here...Strong also still has a better winning percentage against ranked teams.

13 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Pretty much agree with what you said,  but I haven't seen anything to indicate mensa Tom isn't getting everything he needs.  

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think this shit goes deeper than the coach at this point. This environment here is toxic and it starts at the top. 

Yeap.  Brand name coaches don't guarantee results.  Harbaugh's seat is getting warmer and warmer by the year. 

But with the Pirate atleast we can guarantee some form of entertainment.