Who are your top 3 realistic choices to replace Herman?

Beau Vine

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You vastly under estimate the greed and ambition of a P5 college football head coach.

This. If he ever wants a shot at a championship he will have to go somewhere. It won’t happen in FW, ever. If his ego will allow, if this reality sets in, and if he wants a shot, those things will converge in his sweaty head and he’ll look. If he’s good with being fat and happy where he is, and these things aren’t priorities of his he’ll probably stay ‘til he cardiac’s out.

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Mainly because a ton of jobs at big name programs have opened up since he made TCU what it is today and he's still there. 

Correction. EVERY major program except Bama has been open since Patterson has been killing it, and he’s still at little ol’ TCU. Calls had to be made for the majority of those, serious calls with big boy money. Clearly sometimes the first choice was someone else (Lord Farquaad/Jimbo, for example), but if Patterson wanted to be somewhere with crazy alumni and crazy money, he’d be there. 

Edited by nnm

I think it's time for Texas to flip the script on this disaster, and disrupt the paradigm. Allow me to adjust my expensive casual wear, and gesture dramatically in front of this blue lighting.

Oldthink: Find one slap-dick mediocre coach, and dump enough money on him to make him superhuman. Except that he usually stays a slap-dick mediocrity, and all your money is gone.

We don't plan our trips around the need to rest the horses. Why do we plan our coaching around the concept of one Bubba-God in a tower, mumbling and screaming folksy platitudes.

Don't hire one head coach. Hire 300 head coaches. Take the coach's salary, and split it between 300 Surlyites. We know everything. Connect 4 or 5 of us with a helmet mic for each player, hooked up to a helmet cam. Each player will play better with 4 or 5 fat guys screaming in his ear. Let the remainder of the Surly Head Coach Hive Mind run Central Planning, maybe standing around an upward-lit war table like in the Death Star.

• Like 6

I think it's time for Texas to flip the script on this disaster, and disrupt the paradigm. Allow me to adjust my expensive casual wear, and gesture dramatically in front of this blue lighting.
Oldthink: Find one slap-dick mediocre coach, and dump enough money on him to make him superhuman. Except that he usually stays a slap-dick mediocrity, and all your money is gone.
We don't plan our trips around the need to rest the horses. Why do we plan our coaching around the concept of one Bubba-God in a tower, mumbling and screaming folksy platitudes.
Don't hire one head coach. Hire 300 head coaches. Take the coach's salary, and split it between 300 Surlyites. We know everything. Connect 4 or 5 of us with a helmet mic for each player, hooked up to a helmet cam. Each player will play better with 4 or 5 fat guys screaming in his ear. Let the remainder of the Surly Head Coach Hive Mind run Central Planning, maybe standing around an upward-lit war table like in the Death Star.

I like this idea. Why settle with a mediocre slap-dick coach when you can have a mediocre slap-dick parliament?
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I like this idea. Why settle with a mediocre slap-dick coach when you can have a mediocre slap-dick parliament?

That's racist against those of us who still have dial-up connections. How can I get my plays in in time? I guess I can fire off a sternly worded letter to the Big 12 demanding that they allow 15 minutes between plays. 

14 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I'm intrigued by Mario Cristobal at Oregon. I'd like to see him coach 1-2 seasons there first, but he clearly knows how to recruit at an elite level.

Of all the coaches on Saban's staff a few years ago, he was the one I felt had the most potential to become a  really good HC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I have no clue what realistic might be anymore. 

Right? 

I mean look at aggy. That’s our future. A future of pathetic exorbitant mediocrity. 

I used to chuckle at their hopelessness for 15-18yrs now as they would try to buy relavency, history, status and of course class never being able to achieve any.  And that is the very place we now have let us find ourselves. 

Patterson is TCU's Bill Snyder.  He's going to get a statue and a street named after him for turning around a program that was complete shit for 4 decades into a national powerhouse.  

He's allowed to have down years every now and again in Fort Worth and not feel the heat from dozens of angry boosters and thousands of never satisfied fans.

He's not giving that all up to come here.  Not now, not ever.

• Fuck You 1

Gundy really intrigues me.  He's done more with less, year in and year out, than anyone I can think of. He's cycled through assistants without missing much of a beat. Recruiting bugs me though.  I know he has a built-in excuse, but I wonder if he just has some kind of hole or blind spot in that department.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I have no clue what makes you and some other posters spout out the insane dribble. 

Jesus. Who pissed in your corn flakes. I’ve gone to see coach p speak in fw a handful of times and it’s pretty obvious that he does not care for the university, Austin or Texas football. Of course money changes things, but he is already making a shit ton at tcu. There’s always more I guess. I don’t think he would take the job regardless. Unless it was full blown aggy money. 

2 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

For the same reason CDC left, TCU is maxed out. Patterson can't take the frogs any higher and they are on borrowed time TCU will not survive realignment in fact they are lucky to be in the big12 at all. If Patterson ever wants to be one of the greats in all of college football to really leave a legacy  like the greats he will have to leave tcu.

truth

Fuck coaches...give me the thunderdome

Lets get some bad mf'ers in here like when we had young colt ricky benson charles earl(s) sweed griffin dj vasher robinson etc...
Let the players decide and carve us out a starting 22 forged in pain and blood...then we will have some salty killers who want to win

in a true search, the candidates are not ranked going in.  in addition, the day is going to come when we are going to have to pay a coach more money than anyone else in the country, be the target of all of the hate, and tell everyone to fuck off, we didn't steal the money (aggy) or defraud the state (half the SEC).

they are listed alphabetically.  sorry, not limiting to just 3.  these are the viable names, at this time, that i can think of.

Boom.  Needs to win the SEC East and make the playoffs.  Do that, and he is on a ballistic trajectory for escape velocity.

Campbell.  Talk to me when has 5 years above .500 in conference and 9+ wins overall.  And he will be gone before that.

Dabo. We had our chance there and chose Charlie; at the time Dabo was a proven P5 winner with 6 years at the helm.  Wiki says he remains on 6m/year.

Pat Fitzgerald, 43, Northwestern: overachiever at a non-ivy-ivy.  Promoted from coordinator, TWELVE years at the helm, 88-65, 3-5 in bowls.  23 games over .500 in the b1g at a school with Top-5 academics in the P5.

James Franklin, 46, pedder: PA-born, annual hopscotch across the country for 20 years before landing the Vandy job; including 3 years at Vandy he is 61-32, 4-3 in bowls.  A year ago he got a 6-year extension at 5.8m/year.  Still money-whippable.

Gundy. As long as T-Boone is alive, he will never let him leave.  And he doesn't have the resume to command north of $7m like the other candidates on this list.

Patterson.  If he wants to be a Purple Wizard, great. If he wants to win a title, or titles, the door to the north just shut, and his last opportunity will be to the south.  No helmet school to the west or east is going to give him the chance.

Pirate. In the category of "proven p5 winner" he does not measure up.  123-81 overall but batting .500 in Pullman.  We all know he would kill it here.  Texas running a true air raid is the worst aggy nightmare of all time.  Could Fenves and The Cigars swallow their pride to make it happen?  Pay Orlando or whoever $2m on a 5-year deal to lock down the D.  Sold out DKR months in advance.  Rape, pillage, lamentation of women.

David Shaw, 46, Stanford: overachiever at a non-ivy-ivy.  Promoted from coordinator, SEVEN years at the helm, 74-22, 4-3 in bowls.  52 games over .500 in the best academic school in the P5.

+++

The Surl would hire the Pirate, AND Fenves/CDC would be given years of runway with the hire for him to get it right.

I think CDC will give Patterson first right of refusal, money-whip him, give him 2nd right of refusal, money-whip him again for Frodo money (Cigars willing), while simultaneously pursuing Fitzgerald and Shaw.