Herman vs. Strong

bschoolprof

Yeah, it's a race thing.  Give me a break.  If you can't understand the difference between stringing together coherent thoughts and not, without bringing race into it. then perhaps you need to look inside a bit.  Go read my fucking CR posts about Trump and Obama, assholes.

Whatever, I'm done.  I don't think Herman has "it" any more than Strong did.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong.  He's not getting fired any time soon, regardless.  I'll just watch.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's a race thing.  Give me a break.  If you can't understand the difference between stringing together coherent thoughts and not, without bringing race into it. then perhaps you need to look inside a bit.  Go read my fucking CR posts about Trump and Obama, assholes. Whatever, I'm done.  I don't think Herman has "it" any more than Strong did.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong.  He's not getting fired any time soon, regardless.  I'll just watch.

I don't really think anyone here wants Strong back or thinks he was particularly great. He had his shot and couldn't get it done.  

But there is nothing coherent about the garbage schemes Herman runs out there week after week. There is nothing coherent about defending Tim Beck every week and acting put off that anyone would question why we run the trash offense that we do. There's nothing coherent about playing a team who we vastly out-talent and running goofy ass read option with a slow, concussion-prone qb, and running defenses that let the one semblance of a weapon they have get behind it. Ed Orgeron can barely put a sentence together and even his gorilla ass knows that when you have a team out classed talent wise, you line up, smash them in the face with a no-nonsense run game, and play defense not to give them big momentum plays.

The entire thing is a dumpster fire. I've seen enough. Let's spin it again and see what happens. Eventually we'll get the right guy in here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I saw a question on Twitter the other day. It was "What was the dumbest game your team won?" I started thinking about how I could probably name one from 2002 (my Freshman year) to 2009 (the end of the good times) and I had a thought that in that time period typically our teams weren't the ones that committed dumb mistakes. Most of our losses were games where we just got our asses kicked, but usually when games were close and came down to a razor thin margin of a couple of plays we'd be the more composed team.

The differences between Strong and Herman are one coach was a defensive coach while the other was an offensive coach, one guy didn't kiss the "right" peoples asses and was good to other people while the other kisses the right ass and is an insufferable prick otherwise. The lack of discipline instilled in players, the nepotism of hiring shitty coordinators you know. The inability to make adjustments in game. It's all the same. The packaging is all that is different.

Edited by ATLLonghorn
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, oh_snap said:

Wake me up when Mensa fucks up a coin flip. I see progress.

I guess no one else will, but I’ll tell you, Mensa’s first game at Texas, last season, featured a fucked up coin flip.  The ref bailed our captain out so we ended up getting it right, thanks to a sympathetic official.

FYI, I think the coin flip thing is/was way overblown, regarding assigning blame to the HC.  There are lots of much better reasons to question the abilities of Charlie and Herman.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I find this perspective 100% backwards.  I disliked Charlie Strong because he came across as a dimwit.  I didn't trust him to be able to think his way out of the morass.  Herman is a sharp guy -- he's definitely losing any benefit of the doubt as a coach -- but at least he's not intellectually stunted.  Is that sufficient?  Certainly not, but it's necessary. 

I don't give a rat's ass if my CEO is a dickhead as long as he's making good decisions.  I "like" smart guys who don't get bogged down by complex problems.  Of course, solving those problems is job #1.

So far, Tom Herman has shown that he can't solve those problems but to act like Charlie did or should have gotten more slack because he was less offensive is silly.

I think you are confusing "like as a person" and "like as a coach."  When most people refer to Charlie being likable, I think they mean as a person, in the way he comes across as a human being. 

Also, I have trouble accepting that Strong is a complete dumbshit, despite some of the outward appearances.  I'm reasonably sure that there are a number of very intelligent folks, Mensa members even, that would abjectly fail as football coach at Texas, and not just because they don't know a long snapper from a pi muon or a tilde mark.  They, like Strong, could get overwhelmed with the responsibilities and begin to make outwardly idiotic decisions on the field because they are consumed with some other issue or issues (like holy God what is wrong with the OL and why can't anyone seem to fix it?).

I assume Herman Wechslers where he says he does, and he does seem initially to have more organizational management ability than Strong but it looks like he's headed down the same path.

All that said, yeah, the HFC doesn't need to be Mr. Congeniality if he wins.  It seems most of the top ones are minor sociopaths.

8 hours ago, NowThis said:

almost everyone wanted Herman and there was really no better choice at the time.  Next time, I'd say go for a P5 school person, an overachiever. 

We wouldn’t know. We fired Strong, called up Herman and gave him the job. Maybe we should interview some people next time. 

The problem with 8-5 this year, if Mensa can achieve that, which seems dubious, is that 8-5 will breed complacency. "Oh,  Mensa has earned one more year" type  loser thinking.

But, at 8-5, recruiting will suffer. For example, don't look for Evans at 8-5. Evans to aggy, or, worse, to Lincoln Riley, who will curb stomp us forever.

Then, next year, no, there won't be 10 wins. More like, at best, 8-5.

And there we will be. Stuck with an 8-5 Coach and that's during a good year.

We'll roll with Mensa and 6-6 to 8-5 for 5, 6, or 7 years and lose an entire decade. A lost decade. Bank it.

Leach, Peterson, Patterson, others can put Texas where we need to be - winning NCs. Mensa cannot. There ARE coaches who can win NCs at Texas.

Any coach that we talk to who doesn't say he WILL win the NC at Texas, no excuses, is not a guy Texas should even consider.

Say what you want about Mack Brown's end career and I'm there with you, but on the day Mack was hired he said he would win a NC at Texas. And by god he got us one. He should have gotten more, but he DID get us one.

Mensa gets us nothing. As Darrell would say, he ain't got "it".

8 hours ago, NowThis said:

almost everyone wanted Herman and there was really no better choice at the time.  Next time, I'd say go for a P5 school person, an overachiever. 

This is total horsesh*t.

Leach, Petersen, Patterson - all those guys could get a NC done at Texas. Others as well. Probably Harsin, for example.

Let's face it: The BMDs wanted Mensa, most likely because they liked that he talked like a Mensa meanie. The BMDs got Mensa wrong - All talk and no cattle.

Let's just not compound the problem by hanging on to the guy for 5, 6, or 7 years. That's my dread. Mediocrity. Although right now we're a laughing stock, but does Mensa give a rat's ass.

Will we cut our losses after we go 6-6 or 7-5 this year?

No, the PTB will decide to keep Mensa for another year.

G-d I hope I'm wrong about that.

1 hour ago, XOVERX said:

This is total horsesh*t.

Leach, Petersen, Patterson - all those guys could get a NC done at Texas. Others as well. Probably Harsin, for example.

Based on what?  In case you hadn't noticed, that whole "did pretty well at a lower tier program so imagine what they could do at Texas" thing isn't really working out for us.

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Based on what?  In case you hadn't noticed, that whole "did pretty well at a lower tier program so imagine what they could do at Texas" thing isn't really working out for us.

Mack started turning to shit once he got his skin on the wall -- the rot had already set in by the time Colt went down. We've been a dead program walking ever since...And it remains to be seen how aggy and UCLA will do with their proven commodities. Early returns on the Kelly regime are not promising. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

1 hour ago, XOVERX said:

This is total horsesh*t.

Let's face it: The BMDs wanted Mensa, most likely because they liked that he talked like a Mensa meanie. The BMDs got Mensa wrong - All talk and no cattle.

Let's just not compound the problem by hanging on to the guy for 5, 6, or 7 years. That's my dread. Mediocrity. Although right now we're a laughing stock, but does Mensa give a rat's ass.

Will we cut our losses after we go 6-6 or 7-5 this year?

No, the PTB will decide to keep Mensa for another year.

G-d I hope I'm wrong about that.

Your dread isn't mediocrity. Your reality is mediocrity.

I am honestly trying to find the areas of improvement after letting Charlie go and bringing in Herman. Certainly not in building a staff. Certainly not in developing fundamental concepts of playing football. Certainly not in the head coach's demeanor dealing with the public. Certainly not in keeping the reputation of the university clean.

Can anyone help me understand what Herman saw that was easy to correct that would improve the performance of the team, or make watching UT football any more entertaining?

This is such a step down from Mack Brown that it is embarrassing. And Mack's last few years weren't anything to be proud of.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We wouldn’t know. We fired Strong, called up Herman and gave him the job. Maybe we should interview some people next time. 

the big names were not interested IIRC. Patterson has never been interested in Texas afaik and has signed a long term contract worth just as much as Hermans, without the stress of being in Austin as TCU fans are very appreciative and forgiving. 

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Mack started turning to shit once he got his skin on the wall -- the rot had already set in by the time Colt went down. We've been a dead program walking ever since...And it remains to be seen how aggy and UCLA will do with their proven commodities. Early returns on the Kelly regime are not promising. 

Early returns on Saban's first year at Alabama weren't very promising either.  But, yeah...I see your point.

I just think there might be a huge difference between coaching a bunch of 3-5 stars and coaching a bunch of 0-3 stars.

6 minutes ago, NowThis said:

the big names were not interested IIRC. Patterson has never been interested in Texas afaik and has signed a long term contract worth just as much as Hermans, without the stress of being in Austin as TCU fans are very appreciative and forgiving. 

There are other coaches besides Patterson we could have engaged interest from. We didn’t. Our BMDs and Perrin felt like they HAD to lock down Herman before he either went to LSU or aggy dumped Sumlin for Tom. So they did without due diligence. 

Spare me “not interested.” It was Tom, Tom or Tom. And Tom was flashing his saggy tits as soon as he beat OU to get our attention. The deal with him was sealed after Kansas. Everyone knew. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

There are other coaches besides Patterson we could have engaged interest from. We didn’t. Our BMDs and Perrin felt like they HAD to lock down Herman before he either went to LSU or aggy dumped Sumlin for Tom. So they did without due diligence. 

Spare me “not interested.” It was Tom, Tom or Tom. 

except not interested is true for Patterson/Peterson/Brohm.   Shag was also full hard on for Tom. We are all guilty. 

• Like 1

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that we're in danger of losing our recruiting edge, I'd have a lot of nickels.  It isn't hard to recruit to UT, even when the product is mediocre.

What appears to be monumentally difficult is turning good recruits into good players.  We aren't stacked like 'bama, but the raw talent we have on the team should certainly be able to compete in the Big XII on an annual basis, if our staff was capable of developing them and coming up with even a mildly clever game plan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If we cannot beat a very mediocre Maryland team, I think even getting to 8-5 will be difficult. If we needed to turn a few losses from last year into wins, this was won of them.

I think by the end of the year calling Maryland very mediocre will be seen as very generous. They regularly lose by 50+ to the better B1G teams year in and year out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

At this point, it looks like both were bad hires, though some still hold out hope for Herman.  Many have noted the eerie similarities in their tenure thus far.  One thing that is different is the reaction of the fanbase to their failures.  

By this point in Strong's tenure (1 game into season 2), most fans had not turned on Strong.  There were doubts, to be sure, but there was a lone thread on Shaggy calling for Strong to be fired, and most of the first few pages were posters telling the OP (subliminal) he was an idiot, etc.  Bear in mind we were coming off perhaps the most embarrassing bowl performance ever (at least offensively), and Strong had decided to retain the OC everyone knew he shouldn't have hired, let alone retained after a year.  However, most fans seemed to stick with Strong into year 3 with the OC search fuckery and the hiring of Giblet. Us Strong haters were a vocal minority.  My recollection is the fanbase was still split 50-50 or thereabouts whether he should stay or be let go well into year 3.  It wasn't until the Kansas debacle that even the most ardent Strong apologists realized their support was irrational and keeping him was untenable.

Now, with Herman, one game into season 2, the majority of fans seemed to have turned on Herman (myself included).  And it's not just on this site.  Most fans on the 995 sites seemed to have turned on him as well.  Why the difference?  I can think of a few possible reasons:

1) Herman is an asshole and Strong is kind of an "aw shucks" likable guy

2) We didn't want to look like we were being too hard on our first black coach

3)  Strong followed Mack, whom many argued had allowed the program to rot, thus initial expectations were lower for Strong

4) We have suffered from battered fan syndrome so long, we know what a dipshit coach looks like when we see one 

I think 3) is the biggest reason, though others may have played a role.  Thoughts? Muledick?

I'll go with #4, battered fan syndrome. Strong and Herman aren't the only two pretenders we've had to suffer thru. Enough is enough. Get going or get gone.

6 hours ago, NowThis said:

except not interested is true for Patterson/Peterson/Brohm.   Shag was also full hard on for Tom. We are all guilty. 

While we were dicking around trying to get rid of Mack, a lot of people around here were critical of Chris Petersen as a replacement. If we'd gone after him, maybe instead of Saban, we'd be looking at our problems in the rear view mirror.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

19 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Meyer coaching tree-- check

coordinator for UM during MNC run-- check

gets HC job at mid-major-- check

has a few good seasons-- check

has 2 signature wins "proving" next great thing-- check

Getst Texas job-- check

brings along a lot of dead weight staff--  check

brings an NU reject OC-- check

reject OC shits bed 1st year-- check

KEEPS shitty OC into year 2-- check

shits the bed in game 1 largely due to incompetence on O-- check

same song, second verse.  We can pretty much guess how this goes from here since it's fucking Groundhog Day.  This is why he's being turned on so quickly, plus he's a prick.  I know you've seen his presser by now.   What's fucked is this is where the timeline likely splits because his narcissism is having no part in demoting Beck Tuesday.  

Charlie tenure was like waterboarding for the fan base.   Hermans tenure is like waterboarding with old motor oil.   You know it's bad because you just spent 3 years getting waterboarded but you really don't realize how much worse this time is going to be.  Hopefully it ends sooner. 

dead on

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that we're in danger of losing our recruiting edge, I'd have a lot of nickels.  It isn't hard to recruit to UT, even when the product is mediocre.

What appears to be monumentally difficult is turning good recruits into good players.  We aren't stacked like 'bama, but the raw talent we have on the team should certainly be able to compete in the Big XII on an annual basis, if our staff was capable of developing them and coming up with even a mildly clever game plan.

This. I seriously think Jay Norvell was the best coach we've had here in forever. He actually creatively turned a dumpster fire into something somewhat serviceable. Everyone else since I can remember has done the opposite.

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I do think Strong left the program in a better place than he found it.  Recruiting was at least somewhat revitalized and some, if not all, of the entitlement was on the way out.

I don’t know if Herman is the answer or not.  But I will say the notion that Charlie left this program in a better place than he found it is patently false. I’m guessing posters say this in order to grasp at something, anything, to make themselves feel better about the absolute shitsandwich that Charlie created while in Austin. No cake was baked unless you’re into cow dung paddycakes.

Charlie took a team that was a half away from winning the big12 with a functioning retard at quarterback and turned it into a losing culture. Don’t get me wrong, Mack needed to go because he had us stuck in 8 win purgatory. But what did Charlie do while he was here other than make getting buckfucked and blown out the norm? He got rid of entitlement? Fantastic. We traded entitlement for acceptance of getting buttfucked. Bad trade in my opinion. 

And go look at the 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes. Total shit. 

2015:

Ryan Newson Gone.

Chris Warren Gone.

Kai Locksley Gone.

Hilton Hill Gone.

Gilbert Johnson Who?

Devo Clarington Never made it.

Deandre McNeal Gone.

Cecil Cherry lol gone fast.

DuVonta Lumpkin el gonzo.

Brandon Hodges gone.

Quincy Vasser who?

Kirk johnson broken

Buck Major now a wrestler

matt merrick gone

and also Malik and deshon Elliot went pro early. The 2015 class, which should be our seniors is decimated. 2016 is only marginally better. Truth is, Charlie was a shit recruiter who had his hands full trying to coach during the season (sucking at it too) and waited to the 11th hour to finally start recruiting. And he managed to salvage a decent ranking by getting ranked players that other teams probably didn’t want that bad anyways or they would have committed elsewhere earlier. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If we cannot beat a very mediocre Maryland team, I think even getting to 8-5 will be difficult. If we needed to turn a few losses from last year into wins, this was won of them.

Most of those 5 loses may happen in the first 5 games. You talk about a depressed team and fans if that happens. Tom really will be crying when he gives a press conference. It’s hard enough watching him this week trying to answer questions after the first game and loss. I can see a real melt down if we lose to OU, TCU, KState and USC. 

On 9/2/2018 at 6:50 PM, Helobious said:

They’re both good recruiters that suck at coaching. 

Something I had completely forgotten: Herman finished 5th in AAC the year before he came to Texas. The AAC. 5th place. And for whatever reason no one in charge (or most of the fans on the shag) saw that as a potential red flag.

I sarcastackly called Herman our savior after the SMU loss and repeatedly said OU win was crap because OU shot itself in the foot throughout that game. I was wrong on the DC hire. Orlando is a good DC.

I find this perspective 100% backwards.  I disliked Charlie Strong because he came across as a dimwit.  I didn't trust him to be able to think his way out of the morass.  Herman is a sharp guy -- he's definitely losing any benefit of the doubt as a coach -- but at least he's not intellectually stunted.  Is that sufficient?  Certainly not, but it's necessary. 

List 3 things Potato Tom has done to prove he’s a “sharp guy” and not “intellectually stunted”.
Here:

So far Tom is one game better than Charlie, but at least hasn’t been blown out routinely yet. Charlie was incompetent and had no idea what he was doing Tom thinks he’s smarter than everyone, but doesn’t appear to actually be smarter than anyone. They both fucked up hiring staff and neither had a decent qb coach nor play caller. Both make bad personnel decisions repeatedly. 

On 9/2/2018 at 9:22 PM, Not a cat said:

It did, and then shut right back down a month later once that picture of him in a golden hat with a giant finger became a meme.  Amazing what a win over the land thieves will do for a coach's prospects and if Herman does that we'll love him again. Of course, I have serious doubts it'll happen after watching that shitshow yesterday.

It is so sad that our program has sucked for so long that the only thing we have to look forward to each year is beating the land thieves and hanging the golden hat on we are improving after the win.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:28 AM, Js1 said:

Spare me “not interested.” It was Tom, Tom or Tom. And Tom was flashing his saggy tits as soon as he beat OU to get our attention. The deal with him was sealed after Kansas. Everyone knew. 

To be fair, we apparently went through the proper motions with Strong, and got a shit sandwich, so it's not altogether insane to do what we did.  Pretty insane, but not totally.

Some of you are either far to young, or simply don’t know. From an acedemic standpoint Texas is the best school that offers students more opportunities then any other. And yes I of course know all about Ivy, Stanford, even Chicago. But, as a complete package our school is head mother fucker. No points against you if you disagree. You’re just wrong.

However, and here is the rub. Coaching here is very different then coaching at either a lessor institution. Or worse, a down right football factory like Alabama. As bad as our Regents may want to win. They will never, ever say yes sir to a fucking football coach. 

Mack was the perfect guy for the job because of this. He understood how acedemics perceive football. And could sell kids in the school. Though some of you laugh at him now. The man was perfect for Texas sized egos we have around here.

Almost 40 years passed between our 69 and 05 titles. Think about that....sure we had opportunity, who could ever forget that fucking Cotton Bowl with the nut sniffers. But winning here scares a lot of coaches. The biggest is even the slightest hint of impropriety. Will not be tolerated. Not at the cost of the good names who run this institution. And that makes it very, very difficult to recruit against those who are allowed, even encouraged in some cases to engage in that.

So whomever coaches when Herman is done. Which will hopefully be after a legitimate search and vetting. And not just because some overpaid internet hack says he is great.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

So far Tom is one game better than Charlie, but at least hasn’t been blown out routinely yet. Charlie was incompetent and had no idea what he was doing Tom thinks he’s smarter than everyone, but doesn’t appear to actually be smarter than anyone. They both fucked up hiring staff and neither had a decent qb coach nor play caller. Both make bad personnel decisions repeatedly. 

what should terrify everyone is that herman is probably just good enough to have something to point to that looks like progress. charlie was so fantastically shitty it made firing him easy. herman is going to underperform but find ways to make us look like a mediocre team right on the cusp of breaking through, which will make getting rid of him more difficult.