Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I set the O/U at 10.5.  So under is the big winner

And I agreed with you at the time - what I think it means is that the sentencing evidence didn't really move the jury's needle much.  10 years was probably what they were thinking internally when they issued the verdict, and they stuck with it.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I thought anything between 10-20 was probably fair.  So on the low end but I don't have a big issue with it.

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The jury has made two incredibly tough decisions: convicting her of murder, and showing some form of compassion by not sentencing her to life.  I can't imagine being in that room.  I commend them for their open-mindedness 

3 minutes ago, huge said:

If anyone had said murder conviction and 10 years before the start of the trial that would be seen as a huge win.

New shit has come to light but it still 10 years in the slam.

these posts sum up my thought on the matter.

10 years as an excop in gatesville is harder time than most.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Too short by half, but the important thing here (besides the conviction) is that she can never be a police officer again.

no, that's not the important part.  A civilian , especially male, would have received a hell of a lot more. 

Females get a lot less which is a crime in itself.

Edited by NowThis

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/men-women-prison-sentence-length-gender-gap_n_1874742

The study found that men receive sentences that are 63 percent higher, on average, than their female counterparts.

Starr also found that females arrested for a crime are also significantly more likely to avoid charges and convictions entirely, and twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

interesting. 

i did not know that.

my felon sister once got caught driving a car that had a firearm under the seat. bang, back to jail. 

Got to do everything, fine, probation, restitution.  Anything incomplete, no guns, no voting.  Check that, the "everything" only applies to voting, but you have to complete probation.

Also, felon in possession of firearm remains a federal crime.  Another stupid overlap.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

interesting. 

i did not know that.

my felon sister once got caught driving a car that had a firearm under the seat. bang, back to jail. 

Twice is incorrect. Only allowed to have gun at home. 

https://helpforfelons.org/can-a-felon-own-a-gun-in-texas/

Sec. 46.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM.
(a) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm:

(1) after conviction and before the fifth anniversary of the person’s release from confinement following conviction of the felony or the person’s release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later; or

(2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location other than the premises at which the person lives.

The code goes into a lot more depth, and you can read it here.

Edited by msudawg

BLM is pissed she didn't get more. This one sentence can't right the wrongs of all the other unjustified cop killings that were acquitted and if that was their expectation, then they were destined to be disappointed. I think it's fitting sentence given the circumstances of this murder. RIP Botham Jean. You deserved better.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, NowThis said:

no, that's not the important part.  A civilian , especially male, would have received a hell of a lot more. 

Females get a lot less which is a crime in itself.

I'm just taking the win.  It's not everything I think she deserved, but it's a lot better than I expected.

• Like 3

you guys are so out of touch with reality.  A black guy gets life for this, especially if the gender / race were flipped, killing a white woman in her apartment. Being a cop should not matter at all.  We are seeing white + female privilege and it's sickening.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm just taking the win.  It's not everything I think she deserved, but it's a lot better than I expected.

except it's not a win. Throw a perfect pass but the WR drops it in the endzone.  Surly is slipping badly on this issue.

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

you guys are so out of touch with reality.  A black guy gets life for this, especially if the gender / race were flipped, killing a white woman in her apartment. Being a cop should not matter at all.  We are seeing white + female privilege and it's sickening.

Not out of touch with anything.  I see the world for what it is, not what it should be.  And in that context, this verdict is a win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

Yep. But the people who need to understand this refuse to acknowledge it.

10 years is 10 years more than most people thought when she was charged with murder.

As a citizen of Dallas, I can live with it (to the extent anybody cares).  Dallas police are on notice that they can be charged with murder, and Amber is gonna have to live 10 years in prison (hopefully all 10) and she's gonna have to live with this for the rest of her life.

• Like 2

What a fucking cop out (no pun intended). Juries really suck sometimes. At least she didn't walk, which is what I expected.
Yep. I had a feeling this jury would pussy out and go light. That's why I wanted to wait until the sentencing. That guilty verdict means jack shit now with this kind of sentence. They played both sides of the fence here. Guilty but light sentence.

Does the sentencing deliberations have to be unanimous? Does every person have to come to the same number?

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

The general consensus was that she'd walk. She didn't. She was convicted. She got a 10 year sentence. Is it enough, no. But its a fucking step in the right direction. I wish she'd gotten 20+ but its a starting point and will hopefully continue to move in the right direction.

• Like 4

This is in no way a win. At all. Cop gets away yet again with this shit. Walking into an innocent man's home and shooting him dead and gets off light. 10 years is nothing. Especially with the possibility of parole.
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 12:15 PM, Brisketexan said:

The precedent has already been set.  This case will just follow it.  If you are a cop, and you kill someone, it was justified.  Because you're a cop, and your training to determine whether someone needs killing or not is unassailable.  A cop killed a black man.  Therefore, it was reasonable and justified.  QED.

She walks.  She was always going to walk.  Same as it ever was.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

The general consensus was that she'd walk. She didn't. She was convicted. She got a 10 year sentence. Is it enough, no. But its a fucking step in the right direction. I wish she'd gotten 20+ but its a starting point and will hopefully continue to move in the right direction.

i'm not interested in fucking 'starting points'. Do something of substance.  What a loser mentality I'm seeing here. Go for the gusto bitches!  Damn, i feel so bad for the victim family now, it's a big F Y to them. Bitch will be out in 5-6 years.  White Females get very soft sentences all the time, does Surly want to fight?