Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You're either not listening or don't want to listen. Again, it's not about him. I understand its sincere and I appreciate it. I have seen many outside observers on social media going a direction with the story I don't agree with. If you still think I'm criticizing him or his belief system or all people of his faith, then lets just agree to disagree.

10 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I feel like you’re the one not listening. I understand you’re not criticizing him personally. But it is his belief system that motivates him, and that resonates with his fellow believers. That’s key to this story-you cannot separate it out and make it generic. In wishing that Christians would not emphasize the explicitly Christian nature of his actions, you ARE criticizing their belief system and asserting that yours is superior, whether you recognize it or not. That’s the last I’ll say too.

You're both right, if it helps. The problem is that 'stache wasn't clear enough with what his actual problem is. I've seen stuff online since it happened talking about how "only Christians can be so gracious" and stuff like that. I would assume, perhaps wrongly, that those statements in particular are what he has an issue with.

Carry on, or don't. It's all good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're both right, if it helps. The problem is that 'stache wasn't clear enough with what his actual problem is. I've seen stuff online since it happened talking about how "only Christians can be so gracious" and stuff like that. I would assume, perhaps wrongly, that those statements in particular are what he has an issue with.

And that’s fair, if that’s the case. I have not and would not assert that. 

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

And that’s fair, if that’s the case. I have not and would not assert that. 

Yes, implications to that effect are what I'm talking about, nothing more. We're good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Seems disingenuous to me to attempt to free a bunch of people who are imprisoned for drug offenses without also decriminalizing drugs and regulating the manufacture and distribution of them.

The executive can do one but not the other. But I do wish state leges and Congress would decriminalize (most) drug use/possession.

• Like 1

I want to hold her and I both accountable, her for murder and me for whatever way I have, knowingly or not, contributed to the systemic racism that caused the murder. I reject cheap grace. I need justice to be done. I need the gift of true repentance for my own sins of racism. I need real soul salvation. I refuse to be written off as one of those who did not know what I was doing. I am better than that and so are you.

that was a really weird ... blog.  she says it's great brandt forgave her, then she says she's going to judge all white people's reactions to it, then she says she's not forgiving amber, then she says she has issues she needs forgiveness for.  

would've been better off to say "what happened was great, we need more of it, we need to keep working". 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, immortal13 said:

She had her gun drawn before she went in and I think had it been a big white dude, she would've blasted his ass too.

I can agree with that.  She had revengeful zeal for whomever was beyond that door violating her property.  However,  the way our society interprets and judges these cases is highly racial. 

Additionally,  that judge hugging her afterwards was some absolute bullshit.  There's no way she's ever done that for other murder offenders who've entered her courtroom. Nor would any supposed Christian, law and order judge do that to a black offender.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I can agree with that.  She had revengeful zeal for whomever was beyond that door violating her property.  However,  the way our society interprets and judges these cases is highly racial. 

Additionally,  that judge hugging her afterwards was some absolute bullshit.  There's no way she's ever done that for other murder offenders who've entered her courtroom. Nor would any supposed Christian, law and order judge do that to a black offender.  

Are you just checking in?  This is a pretty unique case in case you haven't noticed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You think that black judge treats whites better than blacks?

Late comment on yesterday's hug-a-thon:

The embrace from the judge seemed unusual and unprofessional. Haven't spent much time in courtrooms but I have to imagine it was rare if not unprecedented?

What Brandt Jean did, though ... what a powerful moment. It seemed utterly spontaneous and sincere and its genuineness was humbling.

Everyone copes with grief differently, and nobody could fault him if he chose to never forgive Ms. Guyger, but he chose a different--maybe more difficult--path, and with luck he will be healed for it.

This young man has given Guyger an incredible gift. Hopefully, she will not waste it and will instead spend the rest of her life with Botham Jean on her mind and in her heart and honoring him in a way that mitigates some of the devastation she wrought.

That would be so much more important than any length of time she might serve in prison.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

It wouldn't have mattered if they sentenced her to 10 days, 10 years, or 100 years.

She's a cop going to prison.  She is going to die there, or be beat so terribly she wishes she would die. It's a death sentence no matter the length. Even if they have her in "protective" whatever, she's going to get killed in prison. They always find a way.

Hold the fuck down there cowboy!?! How many women ever die in prison?

So did much come of the "protest" last night?  Haven't seen anything today.   I saw some instigator yesterday claiming they were going to shut down the state fair. Good luck with that.  Assuming it was minor, I'm glad most people seemed to think a murder charge + 10 year sentence in a unique case where the victim's family publicly forgave the murderer isn't the event you choose to burn the city over.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Fair enough.  Kind of sad to me that you are ascribing racism to a black woman you do not know.

Are you a simpleton? Do you know no other words other than racism to describe what I'm addressing here? Im talking about the obsequious need to console this particular defendant. The entire demonstration was unprofessional as fuck and the mere fact that I'm pointing out this sort of behavior wouldn't ever be reciprocated by a white judge towards a black defendant isn't racist.  It's the fucking truth.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

30 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hold the fuck down there cowboy!?! How many women ever die in prison?

How many white female cops have gone to prison for shooting an innocent black man?

Odds of her walking out of there alive aren't good (in my humble opinion).

Edited by Uncle Nate

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So did much come of the "protest" last night?  Haven't seen anything today.   I saw some instigator yesterday claiming they were going to shut down the state fair. Good luck with that.  Assuming it was minor, I'm glad most people seemed to think a murder charge + 10 year sentence in a unique case where the victim's family publicly forgave the murderer isn't the event you choose to burn the city over.

That would be Dominique Alexander. He would be a modern day MLK type figure if he could stop assaulting his family and significant others. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

How many white female cops have gone to prison for shooting an innocent black man?

Odds of her walking out of there alive aren't good (in my humble opinion).

Maybe she'll take pause the next time she draws a weapon on some (noise)  munching down on his afternoon bowl of ice cream...

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

that was a really weird ... blog.  she says it's great brandt forgave her, then she says she's going to judge all white people's reactions to it, then she says she's not forgiving amber, then she says she has issues she needs forgiveness for.  

would've been better off to say "what happened was great, we need more of it, we need to keep working". 

Or, maybe, forgiveness is for the forgiver.  It may assist the forgivee in achieving redemption, or not.  Forgiveness is not redemption.

• Like 1

Maybe she'll take pause the next time she draws a weapon on some (noise)  munching down on his afternoon bowl of ice cream...

What kind of ice cream stays frozen from the afternoon until 10-11pm? I’ll hang up and listen, but username definitely checks out.

Addendum; I think Brandt Jean is someone I’d like my son to strive to be like. I’m way too far gone to even be in the same pasture as that kid. There are plenty on here who claim they’d never say anything close to that, and she can rot in hell, but what he said, I truly feel he believes. And upon witnessing the courtroom scene, I really think/hope that she takes what he said, and does what she can day in and day out for the rest of her life to live it with a ‘how would he live it’ mentality. Every day, for the rest of her life, that should be the first thing she asks herself in the morning, and the last thing she thinks when she closes her eyes at night.

I was in the ‘fry her ass’ camp, but what I saw, I believe was real, on both sides of the table.

She has to earn the rest of her life back, and it’s going to be hard.

5 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

She has to earn the rest of her life back, and it’s going to be hard.

I’m struggling to give a fuck whether she ever does or not.There is zero nobility in rooting for her to do so.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/10/03/freedom-religion-foundation-complaint-against-judge-tammy-kemp-amber-guyger-bible/

Freedom From Religion Foundation Files Complaint Against Judge Tammy Kemp For Giving Amber Guyger Her Bible

Spoiler

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The Freedom of Religion Foundation has filed a complaint with the State Commission on Judicial Conduct regarding the actions of the judge in the Amber Guyger murder trial.

Following Guyger’s sentencing to 10 years in prison, State District Judge Tammy Kemp gave her a bible, hugged her and prayed with the former police officer, now convicted of the murder of Botham Jean.

The organization says it protects the Constitutional principals of the separation of church and state.

The complaint states:

We write to raise your awareness of Judge Kemp’s actions at the close of the trial — during which she gifted a Christian bible, instructing the convicted criminal on how to read the bible and which passages to pay attention to, and witnessing to that convicted murderer. These proselytizing actions overstepped judicial authority, were inappropriate and were unconstitutional.

Courtroom video shows that after the sentencing and the victim impact statement, Judge Kemp left the courtroom, then returned holding her personal bible. She walked over to Amber Guyger at the defense table and proceeded to preach.

The foundation acknowledges this was an emotional moment following Botham’s Jean’s younger Brandt delivering a heart-felt victim impact statement, telling Guyger, “I forgive you. I know if you go to God and ask him, he will forgive you. I love you just like anyone else. I am not going to say I hope you die just like my brother did… I personally want the best for you. I don’t even want you to go to jail… because that’s exactly what Botham would want to. Again I love you, as a person.”

He then asked Judge Kemp if it was OK for him to hug Guyger. She said it was and they embraced.

The foundation said Judge Kemp’s compassion with regard to the bible crossed the line into coercion.

CBS 11 asked Dallas County District Attorney John Cruezot if Judge Kemp’s gesture was a violation of court procedure, policy or protocol.

He said, “If anyone complained, I would do everything I could to support the appropriateness of it. I can’t tell you I’ve done the same exact thing, but I have spoken to defendants, have I given them a hug, perhaps.  Not given a bible, that’s not me, but I don’t think there’s anything inappropriate about what she did, and I would support that, if anyone tried to file a complaint, I would do my best to intercede and protect her.” 

CBS 11 reached out to Judge Kemp’s office on Thursday afternoon for comment and is waiting to hear back.

READ THE FULL COMPLAINT HERE

I wonder if this will be as viral as her son's display of forgiveness.  

Hell no it won’t but that should be what everyone is talking about, the system is still fucked and she saw it first hand with her son being murdered by a cop. However I’m sure all the lawyers on here know better than her

I’m struggling to give a fuck whether she ever does or not.There is zero nobility in rooting for her to do so.

I get your first sentence because that’s how I felt as well. And it’s yours and a lot of peoples’ opinion. But hoping something positive comes from this whole shit show I think is what I’m getting at. Maybe a page was turned, and something finally changes. Who the fuck knows? I sure as hell don’t. I’ve seen plenty of shit in my life, good and bad. It’s hard for me to explain shit to my eight year old when he asks questions about real world shit that I wouldn’t have imagined asking about at his age. So I try and stay positive, because I feel like too many people thrive on negativity, I’m absolutely guilty of it. Positive news is fucking boring. But I’m not going to tell my son what I feel most days, which is that our (humanity’s) handbasket has waaaay out kicked it’s coverage, and we’re just trying to catch up to it so we at least have a seat.

I want us to maintain, I want us to thrive. I want my son to grow old and have kids, and grandkids. I don’t want him to see what I’ve seen, do what I’ve done, or feel some of the horrible things I’ve felt in my life. I get that he’s going to experience his fair share of shit, but it’s kind of my job to keep him in a positive frame of mind in the interim.

I wanted Guyger to slip on a wet spot and break her fucking neck before this trial. Now, I just want something good to come this whole shitty mess. He’s gone, if she can convince one shitty cop to take a breath, and holster his weapon somewhere down the road so it doesn’t happen again, then that’s something positive.
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Hell no it won’t but that should be what everyone is talking about, the system is still fucked and she saw it first hand with her son being murdered by a cop. However I’m sure all the lawyers on here know better than her

You aren't going to hear from the lawyers that the system isn't fucked.

However, in this particular case the system has maybe a 50-50 record.  Parts of it were fucked, parts of it operated as intended (discounting that it may have been intended to operate to the benefit of white men, operating as hoped). 

• The investigation and arrest processes leave some things to be desired.
  • The Dallas County District Attorney did it all straight-up by the book and pulled no punches
  • The jury was more than fair in its composition.  You can quibble with the result, but when it isn't the product of obvious bias, not very credibly.
  • Some of the things done by court officials are head scratchers, for sure.

Perhaps protesting the outcome very generally is worthwhile.  The engineer part of me, or some very practical part says an effective protest pinpoints the things that were actually objectionable, that is, the special treatment, and isn't overbroad.  Or maybe it's the lawyer in me that finds generalized complaints like "no fair" to be lazy and obnoxious.

Her remarks are directed at specific things, and I think that's very worthwhile.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

Good points in your post and I appreciate it. I really wish her comments were getting more airplay because I like that she called out specific issues with the investigation, crime scene, and a total lack of transparency that has been going for a very long time. 

Also how in the fuck does Mike Mata still have a job with the bullshit he pulled the night of the shooting? I have been so wrapped up in the trial that I forgot about alot of what happened after the shooting. 

9 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Good points in your post and I appreciate it. I really wish her comments were getting more airplay because I like that she called out specific issues with the investigation, crime scene, and a total lack of transparency that has been going for a very long time. 

Also how in the fuck does Mike Mata still have a job with the bullshit he pulled the night of the shooting? I have been so wrapped up in the trial that I forgot about alot of what happened after the shooting. 

I too would like her comments to get airplay -- and if you put them alongside the comments of the DPD chief right after the trial, acknowledging that the trial revealed several disturbing procedural actions, and they will be investigated -- that is even more helpful.

But they gotta close the deal, and DPD needs to hold itself accountable.  DPD officers took numerous actions to continue to build the wall of "cops are above the law."  That wall needs to be torn down, and its bricks smashed to dust.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

I wanted Guyger to slip on a wet spot and break her fucking neck before this trial. Now, I just want something good to come this whole shitty mess. He’s gone, if she can convince one shitty cop to take a breath, and holster his weapon somewhere down the road so it doesn’t happen again, then that’s something positive.

I wish she would use her experience to help convince people to stop fucking with their phones and start paying attention to their surroundings.  Preach situational awareness.  Maybe she could prevent something like that lady who ran over the little girl the other day in Round Rock.  Pay attention, people.  It CAN happen to you.

• Like 1

just shitty all the way around.  justice is served but there are no winners in this. 

a family who's son/brother was senselessly shot for no reason other than being in the right place at the wrong time.

a police officer who shot an innocent person.  her remorse seemed genuine.  she changed the lives of so many through a series of preventable actions.

a sham legal system corrupted from top to bottom by the people running it.  nothing is going to change as they'll continue to protect their own at the expense of the people whom they are supposed to protect.

• Like 1

AP:

DALLAS (AP) — Two members of the jury that convicted a white Dallas police officer of murder in the fatal shooting of her black neighbor said the diverse panel tried to consider what the victim would have wanted when they settled on a 10-year prison sentence.

Mistaken apartment shooting Prosecutors had asked jurors to sentence Amber Guyger to 28 years, which was how old her neighbor Botham Jean would have been if he was still alive. But one of the two jurors — a white man who wasn’t named by ABC News — said the jury was moved by testimony from Jean’s family and friends, who described his deep faith and caring nature.

“We all agree that (the shooting) was a mistake, and I don’t think Bo would want to take harsh vengeance,” the juror said, referring to Jean by his nickname. “I think he would want to forgive her.”

Guyger shot Jean inside his own apartment in September 2018 after working a long shift. She said she mistook his fourth-floor unit for her own, which was directly below his.

After convicting Guyger of murder, the jury could have sentenced her to anywhere from two years to life in prison. When the jury’s 10-year sentence was handed down Wednesday, a crowd outside the courtroom reacted angrily, believing it was too short.

The other juror who spoke to ABC News — a black woman — said her reaction when hearing prosecutors’ sentencing request was: “I can’t give her 28 years.”

“I know a lot of people are not happy about the 10 years,” she said. “But I felt like ... this case was not like any other case.”

She drew distinctions between the death of Jean and those of other unarmed black men who have been killed by police in recent years.

“Those officers that killed unarmed black men, when they got out, they went back to living their lives,” she said. “Amber Guyger, ever since she killed that man, she has not been the same. She showed remorse and that she’s going to have to deal with that for the rest of her life.”

Guyger was transferred into the custody of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice on Friday morning, the Dallas County Sheriff’s Department said.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

“Those officers that killed unarmed black men, when they got out, they went back to living their lives,” she said. “Amber Guyger, ever since she killed that man, she has not been the same. She showed remorse and that she’s going to have to deal with that for the rest of her life.”

Didn't Guyger go on a cruise after the shooting? Or was that not the case?

Can I also say how stupid it is of the prosecution to ask for a sentence based on the victim’s age?

if the exact same crime was committed but a 10 year old was killed, would they be happy with the 10 year sentence?

if a 55 year old was killed would they have asked for 55?

its unsound reasoning and calls the entire process into question, for me. 

• Like 3

What's worse,

a) overly punitive sentencing guidelines for thousands for possession of pot, and this white cop who jokes about killing people and MLK being dead gets a "fair" sentence of 10 yrs for killing a black man who was sitting on his couch, or....

b) overly punitive sentencing guidelines for thousands for possession of pot, and this white cop who jokes about killing people and MLK being dead gets gets an overly punitive sentence (30+ yrs) for killing a black man who was sitting on his couch?

I'm going with a) being worse because of the inherent racism and unfairness. TwiceHorn and his buddies seem to be choosing option b) as being worse because of some wishful thinking about how sentencing guidelines should be changed.

Yes, sentencing guidelines should be changed, but until they are, white girls get the same hammer as the black men. If it takes a few white girls spending their lives in prison for "making a mistake" then so be it.

11 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

AP:

DALLAS (AP) — Two members of the jury that convicted a white Dallas police officer of murder in the fatal shooting of her black neighbor said the diverse panel tried to consider what the victim would have wanted when they settled on a 10-year prison sentence.

What kind of bullshit is this? If the victim had been a "hang cops who kill up by their toenails until the vultures have picked their eyes out" type, then jury would have went for life? WTF?

16 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

What's worse,

a) overly punitive sentencing guidelines for thousands for possession of pot, and this white cop who jokes about killing people and MLK being dead gets a "fair" sentence of 10 yrs for killing a black man who was sitting on his couch, or....

b) overly punitive sentencing guidelines for thousands for possession of pot, and this white cop who jokes about killing people and MLK being dead gets gets an overly punitive sentence (30+ yrs) for killing a black man who was sitting on his couch?

I'm going with a) being worse because of the inherent racism and unfairness. TwiceHorn and his buddies seem to be choosing option b) as being worse because of some wishful thinking about how sentencing guidelines should be changed.

Yes, sentencing guidelines should be changed, but until they are, white girls get the same hammer as the black men. If it takes a few white girls spending their lives in prison for "making a mistake" then so be it.

Agree with all of this. Yes our system is fucked and sentencing changes are long overdue but that isn't the case at this moment and until it is then yes in the eyes of a lot of minorities this is seen as preferential cop/white girl treatment.