Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

Something else that seems misunderstood, brown moved from south side not long after the guyger shooting. And as I mentioned up thread, his testified occupation during trial in no way passed the smell test.

Also understand trying to apply logic to a guy who wore a damn dragon ball z t shirt to testify in a murder trial is a fools errand. Even Omar put on a damn tie to testify against Bird (one of my favorite scenes)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluto said:

Something else that seems misunderstood, brown moved from south side not long after the guyger shooting. And as I mentioned up thread, his testified occupation during trial in no way passed the smell test.

Also understand trying to apply logic to a guy who wore a damn dragon ball z t shirt to testify in a murder trial is a fools errand. Even Omar put on a damn tie to testify against Bird (one of my favorite scenes)

I think the reason he was dressed like that is he was fresh off the plane avoiding a contempt citation and arrest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I get that given the political environment these days and the shitshow that Trump is fomenting and presiding over, anything seems possible, even likely.

But the willingness to assume that it was a cop-ordered/executed hit, with no evidence to that effect, seems beyond the pale.  I suppose I might not be surprised if it was, in the right circumstances, as ButtFumble details, but I'm just not willing to assume it without evidence.

While DPD is susceptible to many or most of the criticisms directed at most PDs, I think it's closer to being on the right side of things than say, Chicago PD or NYPD 75, thanks in part to several fairly progressive chiefs in the last few years.

After what happened in Houston with the no knock raid based on a tip that never occurred, and the subsequent shooting of two innocent people who fired first, but apparently didn't, with guns that they didn't have, cops no longer get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Especially when a police spokesman of some sort erroneously (deliberately? or just an idiot?) said the guy was shot in the mouth, I don't think its "beyond the pale" to suggest that the guy was killed either by cops or at the directive of cops.

Seems like everyday there is a new thread or article on here about cops killing people unjustly.

Oh, look, here's another:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/10/07/what-if-your-abusive-husband-is-a-cop

tldr: cop tries to kill wife, georgia Burea of Investigation is either covers for cop or is too incompetent to see the obvious, FIL sheriff covers for guy, sheriff captain rapes women on a regular basis, etc etc so forth and so on.

Compared to what is detailed in that article, it is not "beyond the pale" to suggest DPD killed this guy to send a message about testifying against cops.

• Like 2

He was under subpoena and flew back under threat of contempt to testify.  He was forced, to some degree.
And defense lawyers are not going to "tear apart" any witness just because they can.  They could have brought up any convictions to try to make him "look bad," but to what end?  Most decent lawyers understand that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.
Bringing up a guy's drug convictions, if any, when he's just testifying about living across the hall from someone could be a pretty good way to piss off a jury.  Or maybe they didn't know about it, if it wasn't convictions, or they weren't diligent, which seems plausible.
While this guy did have a fairly prominent role, he wasn't a star witness in the sense that the state could easily have made their case without him.  He was cumulative.
And his current status, live, dead, drug dealer, canonized saint, is utterly, completely irrelevant to the appeal.

If the state knew about drug dealing, regardless of convictions, that information would be turned over to the the defense under Brady/Giglio and the Morton Act. That said, the defense could have known and decided to just not use it. That’s highly likely, given what I know about this case, IMO.
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

the real issue I had with "the cops did it" was the fact that this case did not mean shit to most cops in dallas

if one is going to put forth the idea that the dallas police have some massive corruption machine going where they kill off witnesses to crimes well I seriously doubt any of those that would be involved in that would take the risk of exposing that corruption on a case like this

this case is a case of some stupid bitch that could simply not believe that she would ever be wrong and thus she had to be at the right apartment door and something was wrong that required her super police powers to rectify like busting in the door and shooting a shadow

this was not a case where some cop did some crazy shit that could expose a bunch of other crazy shit that the cops needed to make sure to cover up or dozens of them would be fucked.....in fact this case was an easy throw away case where the cops can look back and have her go off to jail and say "see cops get theirs too" because it was a case that involved one cop, a dude that was killed that was pretty much as clean as they come and nothing else that remotely hinted at any giant conspiracy that required the death of Jean or his death being something that was needed to cover some massive corruption up

there was nothing at all at risk for any potential group of corrupt cops or any long term corruption in this case that required taking the risk to make sure she was not convicted much less to retaliate against a pretty meaningless overall witness,  especially after she was already convicted , in the case that was going to convict her with or without his testimony

this is a case where any half way competent group of hard core corrupt cops would say let the bitch fry and move on because we don't need careless idiots like her around and her going to jail takes the heat off of us.....it is not a case where they would take a massive risk to get even with someone

All that and yet still my wife would rather believe that the cops are framing 3 Louisiana black men to cover up their witness retribution murder...  I guess she's never heard of loose ends.

To be fair, she's a terrible liar, so maybe she just can't think like a good liar.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

If this guy is some kind of drug dealer, how did that fact not come up during cross examination?

I find it hard to believe that information wouldn’t have been discovered by the DPD/DA when they investigated the people on the witness list.

Law enforcement: Excuse me sir, are you a drug dealer by chance? 

Dude that got murdered: Why yes, actually, I currently sell marijuana by the pound. Thanks for asking!

Yeah, I'm sure that was going to happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If DPD was smart enough to pull of the conspiracies that some of you have described there never would have been a trial in the first place

Seriously.  There is so much idiocy on the last few pages of this thread it makes my head hurt.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, housious said:

Law enforcement: Excuse me sir, are you a drug dealer by chance? 

Dude that got murdered: Why yes, actually, I currently sell marijuana by the pound. Thanks for asking!

Yeah, I'm sure that was going to happen. 

Apologies for not taking law enforcement at their word. Thanks for dumbing it down for us

I think the reason he was dressed like that is he was fresh off the plane avoiding a contempt citation and arrest. 

Don't get me started on the decline of airline passenger attire, but where did he fly in from if he lived in Dallas?

And as I mentioned up thread, his testified occupation during trial in no way passed the smell test.

This. Hell, I knew he was a drug dealer once he testified that he managed airbnbs in different states.

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

After what happened in Houston with the no knock raid based on a tip that never occurred, and the subsequent shooting of two innocent people who fired first, but apparently didn't, with guns that they didn't have, cops no longer get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Especially when a police spokesman of some sort erroneously (deliberately? or just an idiot?) said the guy was shot in the mouth, I don't think its "beyond the pale" to suggest that the guy was killed either by cops or at the directive of cops.

Seems like everyday there is a new thread or article on here about cops killing people unjustly.

Oh, look, here's another:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/10/07/what-if-your-abusive-husband-is-a-cop

tldr: cop tries to kill wife, georgia Burea of Investigation is either covers for cop or is too incompetent to see the obvious, FIL sheriff covers for guy, sheriff captain rapes women on a regular basis, etc etc so forth and so on.

Compared to what is detailed in that article, it is not "beyond the pale" to suggest DPD killed this guy to send a message about testifying against cops.

That was Botham Jean's family attorney that was pushing that information, which he then walked back a few days later.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

That was Botham Jean's family attorney that was pushing that information, which he then walked back a few days later.

That and the fact that it was twitter.  I loathe twitter so much that I pretty much discount anything I read on it except sports-related stuff.  And even then.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

OK, I stand corrected.  IThought it was some PD spokesperson.

Looking back through the thread, I think I got that impression from this post:

On 10/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, bigup2dahorns said:

Not shot in the mouth or head:

The police department confirmed Sunday afternoon that 28-year-old Brown died Friday after officers found him about 10:30 p.m. with multiple gunshot wounds to his lower body. Police spokesman Sgt. Warren Mitchell said Saturday, before Brown had been publicly identified, that the victim died at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

In a post that was retweeted more than 68,000 times, Merritt said Saturday that Brown had been shot in the mouth and chest. He later pulled back from that statement, saying he would have to wait for an autopsy to be sure where Brown's wounds were.

https://t.co/kwGuJFP6HL

I thought Mitchell and Merritt were the same person. Reading comprehension, how does that work?

I like to picture leadership of Dallas P.D. (not David Brown, the only functioning brain to ever wear the badge up there) being Frank Costanza when confronted with conspiracy theories ike this one, "My cops aren't clever enough to hatch a scheme like this." 

And then all of us, as Elaine...reply, "You got that right!" 

Then DPD/Frank reply, "What the hell does that mean?  You saying you want a piece of me?"

Then before we can all have a much needed laugh, they just open fire and kill us because we have dark hair.  

DMN article today, brown had multiple previous run ins with multiple municipalities across the state including weed/coke, weapons, and evading arrest. One of the Louisiana guys also had a run in with Denton police for drug charges in April.

Guyger attorneys said they were aware of browns history but felt like his testimony corroborated ambers story so they didn’t give him hell.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluto said:

DMN article today, brown had multiple previous run ins with multiple municipalities across the state including weed/coke, weapons, and evading arrest. One of the Louisiana guys also had a run in with Denton police for drug charges in April.

Guyger attorneys said they were aware of browns history but felt like his testimony corroborated ambers story so they didn’t give him hell.

That doesn't make any sense at all.  Just look at the tweet that Vic posted above.

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

That doesn't make any sense at all.  Just look at the tweet that Vic posted above.

well here he is on facebook live selling weed

here he is on facebook talking shit after his foot was shot......the person making this video seems to think it is about someone besides the person that shot him, but who knows

right after that he shows his new cameras and says fuck with his shit he is shooting first

I will say his little brother should be fucked up for giving his number to the car warranty people

also they did not travel 4 hours to "kill him over weed" they traveled 4 hours to rob him for weed and ended up getting one of them shot because they were too stupid to think he would have a gun

and what kind of an asshole thinks that does NOT make sense.....what you think it makes sense that your "weed guy" travels 4 hours to deliver to you?.......what is this fucking WeedDash or UberWeed

and how in the fuck does the dumb shit that made that tweet think that large amounts of weed gets to places like Alexandria, Louisiana.....like Alexandria is on the main supply route and is one of the hubs of weed selling where you just have multiple people to buy large quantities from to head out to the streets to sell smaller amounts

and yea it makes sense to rob the large quantity weed guy in a place like Alexandria, Louisiana (if there was one) because you know Alexandria is a place that is so big you will never bump into him while at Walmart or he won't come looking for you.....or maybe it makes sense to rob the weed guy 4 hours away and then go back to where you live and where you know everyone and make the guy you robbed come to that shit if he wants to settle up

and as for "leaving the weed" again that is just stupid the shooting was in the parking lot the weed and cash was found in his apartment....as if he is suppose to carry all his weed and cash on him down to the parking lot to make the deal.....maybe he can get down there and offer them a 2fer deal or try and up sell them.......or like people that sell weed have just in time logistics going where they sell all they have on hand each deal or every couple of deals so they do not have too much of their cash tied up in inventory and they are not having to rent too much warehouse space to store their weed......that way they cut their overhead and they have more of their cash freed up to invest in mix tapes and car rims to rent out to others for a hefty profit and diversify their businesses instead of just having it all riding on weed

plus it is always safer to have to make multiple trips to your supplier for 3 or 4 pounds instead of 20 pounds because riding around with only 3 or 4 pounds is such a lesser charge vs 20 pounds (oh wait what it isn't?) and making more trips back and forth to your dealer with the potential to get pulled over is always a better idea

I am in no way shape or form saying the guy deserved to die because he sold weed, but one has to have their head in their ass if they do not believe that 3 dumb fucks would drive from Alexandria, Louisiana to dallas to rob a guy of a few pounds of weed and some cash....I mean fuck those roaches were so "on it" they grabbed up his fucking gun (that shot their friend) because they knew they can sell it too back on the streets of Alexandria

and we do not know how much weed he sold them (if any) because of course they got away after killing him and had time to drop one off at the hospital and the other two are still on the run.....or are we pretending that the guy that live streamed himself with a large bag of weed and selling to some random female and that talked shit about getting shot.....yet specifically said "like I let ya'll motherfuckers see where I stay" on that live stream was going to meet these guys in the parking lot then take them up to his apartment to actually make the deal because he left all the weed he had and all his cash in the apartment 

• Like 5

Seriously....WTF with this FW shooting? You see someone inside a home (oh my god! Who would EVER expect to see someone in a home????)...holler at them without identifying yourself as a cop (I haven’t heard that - correct me if I’m wrong) and effectively shoot them simultaneously....Jesus tap dancing Christ.
What the fucking fuck is wrong with law enforcement? What the goddamn hell?

• 9 months later...

It's waaaay late for an appeal.  I suppose there were post-trial motions that delayed entry of judgment, but you'd think those would get some press, too.

EDIT:  well, fuck, DMN, they filed a notice of appeal in October.  JFC.

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Case.aspx?cn=05-19-01236-CR&coa=coa05

Now, the much-discussed mistake of fact argument arises:

She was mistaken as to whether she was in her own apartment, which gave her the self-defense defense.

Lmao, it cites a British case for a similar fact pattern and result.

Edited by TwiceHorn

That's....fucking amazing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amber-guyger-trial-former-cop-appeals-murder-charge-in-death-of-botham-jean/

Guyger has requested to be either acquitted of murder or acquitted and charged with the lesser crime of criminally negligent homicide, claiming she believed Jean was an intruder in her own apartment and therefore "had the right to act in deadly force."

But Guyger's attorneys argue in an appeal that the evidence originally submitted in the case "was legally insufficient to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Guyger committed murder." They said she was confused about her location because the third and fourth floors, where her and Jean's apartments were located, look identical. 

"Her mistaken belief negated the culpability for murder because although she intentionally and knowingly caused Jean's death, she had the right to act in deadly force in self-defense since her belief that deadly force was immediately necessary was reasonable under the circumstances," the appeal reads.

Although she also had a taser and pepper spray on her person along with the gun that was used to kill Jean, Guyger's attorneys argue that officers are trained to not use these weapons "when faced with a deadly situation." 

"Despite the tragic consequences, considering all the evidence — whether admissible or inadmissible ... Guyger acted reasonably," the appeal says, saying that she "simply missed" the clues that she was entering the wrong apartment, such as the red doormat outside of Jean's apartment and the key lock to enter the apartment blinking red because she tried to enter with the wrong key fob. 

spacer.png