Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

If any of you experts happened to see/hear it, could the Prosecution bringing up "sudden passion" during sentencing closing be an issue? Sounds like it was in the charge, but Defense was upset because they did not mention it.

Side note: Kudos and a thank you to all the contributors on this thread--lots of useful information the past few days...

Edited by smoothlonghorn
grammar

3 minutes ago, smoothlonghorn said:

If any of you experts happened to see/hear it, could the Prosecution bringing up "sudden passion" during sentencing closing be an issue? Sounds like it was in the charge, but Defense was upset because they did not mention it.

Side note: Kudos and a thank you to all the contributors on this thread--lots of useful information the past few days...

Not an expert, but the judge is correct that the State can argue sudden passion doesn’t apply since it is in the charge. A lot of commotion about something that didn’t matter. 

I think she's about to pay for the sin's of all the other cops.  I originally thought under 10 before the social media was admitted. Now they might hammer her higher than the suggested 28 years. 

I thought it was a key point they specifically made sure to pick people who put MLK as one of the most important in their life. Matching them up with the MLK parade text. 

2 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

Not an expert, but the judge is correct that the State can argue sudden passion doesn’t apply since it is in the charge. A lot of commotion about something that didn’t matter. 

Well it was actually perfect. He never argued it.. but then when he objected he got it in the open in their mind. Will it help? Highly unlikely as it's a weak association. 

3 minutes ago, msudawg said:

I think she's about to pay for the sin's of all the other cops.  I originally thought under 10 before the social media was admitted. Now they might hammer her higher than the suggested 28 years. 

I thought it was a key point they specifically made sure to pick people who put MLK as one of the most important in their life. Matching them up with the MLK parade text. 

Maybe they'll hammer her with 56 years since she'd be eligible for parole after 28 (I think that's how it works??).  

When I was on a sentencing jury in the mid-90s, we were directed by the judge that discussing possible parole (and, hence, the effective prison term) during deliberations would constitute juror misconduct.  We had to assume that the defendant would serve the entire term of the sentence.

7 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

When I was on a sentencing jury in the mid-90s, we were directed by the judge that discussing possible parole (and, hence, the effective prison term) during deliberations would constitute juror misconduct.  We had to assume that the defendant would serve the entire term of the sentence.

Yeah, the judge gave the same instructions here.