Cord Cutters Thread

either a small antenna for each tv, or one big one on top of the house and plug it into the same coax you use for cable. I used the same pole and wire my DirecTv dish used, just replaced the dish with an antenna. Splitting it 6 ways might weaken the signal though so you might need an amplifier or possibly do a mix of the two and get individual antennas for tv's that are by a window pointing in the way of the stations. Other option is to get a hdhomerun box or 4k to get ready for 4k OTA (or equivalent like a Firebox or tablo) and hook it up to your internet and stream to your tvs. Some of them like the hdhomerun will feed into the LiveChannels app on google tv.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is probably a really stupid question.  But went from DTV to YTTV so have never looked into HD antenna's or know anything about them.  Do you need 1 per TV? 

not necessarily. you can use a big one on the roof/outside and split the signal to each tv, but the more your split the weaker the signal gets. You can buy an amplifier to boost that. Also, as I said in the other reply you can hook up one antenna to a streamer box like an HDHomerun and stream it to each tv over your home network. This can also hook into the Live Channels app to play on your google tv or other smart tv box. Then you can add a harddrive and create yourself a dvr by paying for an app or installing plex/kodi or something.

Edited by Viper

I have one OTA antenna in the attic and run the coax into the back of my Tablo which sits next to my router/switch.  Tablo app on every SmartTV or FireBox/Stick connected wirelessly to Tablo and the hard drive attached.  Bought the Tablo for the recording of the OTA signal back when you couldn't get local channels on PSTV.  Once PSTV went away and I switched to YTTV which had local stations, the Tablo just sat there unused until the freeze hit in Feb and lost internet. Plugged it, antenna and to UPS and generator and had local tv back.  I now use it to record and watch football games/sports in better HD than YTTV (I hate commercials so I record everything so i can skip them...)

Edited by Grimas

Just not sure antenna really works with my setup.  Potentially Tablo, would have to look into it, but I cut the cord when I moved into this.  No primary TV, other than bedroom TV, is really near a cable.  In main TV room I have 85 inch and a 55 above a bar, 2 outdoor tv's (one covered one uncovered) and 1 in kitchen.  Any of (or each) of those 5 may be needed for sports at any given time.   

What is downside of Fubo compared to YTTV?

• Like 1

Just not sure antenna really works with my setup.  Potentially Tablo, would have to look into it, but I cut the cord when I moved into this.  No primary TV, other than bedroom TV, is really near a cable.  In main TV room I have 85 inch and a 55 above a bar, 2 outdoor tv's (one covered one uncovered) and 1 in kitchen.  Any of (or each) of those 5 may be needed for sports at any given time.   
What is downside of Fubo compared to YTTV?

Exact same situation for me. I’ve actually found that pretty much all I watch on YTTV are local channels, ESPN, CNBC, NFL, and golf channel. Wouldn’t miss a single other channel.

What about Hulu, or fubo, or directv stream for locals?

I’ve read through the last 5 or 6 pages trying to figure out the best combination. So YTTV for local and other sports channels, plus Vidgo for LHN? Am I on the right track? Or am I going to fuck around and find out? Thanks gents!

YTTV is about to shitcan NBC.

Sunday Night Football Fans with YouTube TV Have A Non-NBCUniversal Answer to Watch: The NFL App

SEP 29, 2021

Are you a YouTube TV subscriber worried about the upcoming split between your live TV streaming provider and NBCUniversal? Are you so offended that you wouldn’t even be willing to subscribe to Peacock Premium in order to watch Sunday Night Football games? You may have an option: The NFL App.
Should YouTube TV lose its NBCUniversal channels, you can watch Sunday Night Football games on your mobile device through the NFL app. Note that the app does not allow casting and thus cannot be watched on a TV through a streaming device.
Subscribers should not link their carrier with the app.
If you’re a YouTube TV subscriber and want to watch NFL games on your TV (should the service lose its NBCUniversal channels, of course) the best option would be to sign up for Peacock Premium.

https://thestreamable.com/news/sunday-night-football-fans-with-youtube-tv-have-a-non-nbcuniversal-answer-to-watch-the-nfl-app

On 9/30/2021 at 10:36 PM, Viper said:

Sling also has a similar device as does Amazon. I chose the Tablo 3 years ago as it was the best deal for me.  It does require a subscription to get the updated programming guide and I screwed up by buying a yearly renewal (as opposed to a lifetime one) AZ I assumed there would be a better replacement or a hack. After 3 years, I've now crossed the threshold where it would have cheaper to have bought the lifetime one as opposed to paying for year 4...

very long thread so my apologies if the question has been answered.  Google fiber is getting rid of their tv service so I need to figure out what to do.  We already have HBO streaming, Prime, and Netflix. Is Youtube TV the way to go to get local network (really only need networks to watch sports).  Can I get espn / lhn on youtube?  if not, how do i get those streaming?  thank you

very long thread so my apologies if the question has been answered.  Google fiber is getting rid of their tv service so I need to figure out what to do.  We already have HBO streaming, Prime, and Netflix. Is Youtube TV the way to go to get local network (really only need networks to watch sports).  Can I get espn / lhn on youtube?  if not, how do i get those streaming?  thank you
YTTV is a great service with a great DVR, but it's not the cheapest. It does not have LHN.

8 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:
1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

YTTV is a great service with a great DVR, but it's not the cheapest. It does not have LHN.

YouTube tv is the best of the streaming services by far. Frankly, I think it is the best cable service overall. It has almost every sports channel you need except LHN. And that limitation will not matter much longer once everything is transferred to the SEC network, which it does have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

YTTV also doesn’t have local Fox/Balley channels for local Sports teams coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The official Fox -> Bally switchover was right at the beginning of the baseball season. They have said they plan to sell it ala cart over their app next season. If it it basketball you are looking for it will probably be next season before it happens.

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

YouTube tv is the best of the streaming services by far. Frankly, I think it is the best cable service overall. It has almost every sports channel you need except LHN. And that limitation will not matter much longer once everything is transferred to the SEC network, which it does have. 

Loved PSVue, but it was somewhat buggy with the DVR.  YTTV is the closest thing to replacing traditional Sat/Cable + DVR.  The DVR has actually surpassed the cable and sat versions.  There is no limit on "tuners"/recording shows at the same time.  Theoretically, you can record every channel and every show available all at the same time.  Also, YTTV "favorite shows" >>> than a "season pass".  Simply "favorite" college football, and all games will record, no need to pick and choose.  You also don't need to add extra time, as YTTV automatically records any overage with no further instruction.  Its a game changer for college football.  Add to the fact you can turn it off during the off season and it is simply better than Direct TV right now (LHN excluded)

• Like 1

The official Fox -> Bally switchover was right at the beginning of the baseball season. They have said they plan to sell it ala cart over their app next season. If it it basketball you are looking for it will probably be next season before it happens.

This is what I understand as well.

Oh and Fuck Bally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important update on streaming device remoter interchangeability. The roku express 4K+ remotes are not interchangeable. The roku express 4K are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Also, on some of the cheaper boxes, the remote doesn't have volume controls.

Also, on some of the cheaper boxes, the remote doesn't have volume controls.

Yea. This was my journey. By some 4K boxes and like the interchangeability. Then buy a 4K+ bc I wanted tv controllers. Figure maybe 4K and 4K+ just aren’t interchangeable. So I take back the 4K and buy all 4K+… we’ll those aren’t interchangeable at all. So now I’ve got to take back the 4K+ and buy all 4K bc the interchangeability is more important than the tv controls…

There are some 3rd party that are IR based remotes with tv controls. I will try and report back

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I’m seriously thinking about going back to Cox. I’ve deleted and reinstalled YTTV about 1/2 a dozen times because it hangs up.

I have a 10+ year old cable plan that has gone up slightly over the years and is a wash with solo internet and all the streaming services.

I could never justify cutting the cord as it wouldn't be much cost savings and annoyingly inconvenient.

I assume, without knowing, that a "new" cable plan would be considerably more expensive.  We're going to move within the year, so I guess I'll find out.

I’m seriously thinking about going back to Cox. I’ve deleted and reinstalled YTTV about 1/2 a dozen times because it hangs up.
No idea if this is relevant, but the only time YTTV hangs up on me is when I use a side loaded video app. Restarting the Shield clears it up for me.

(Not that you should have to do this but...) Most people don't know that you can restart your TV like a computer. On my Samsung you just hold down the power for 10 seconds and you get the logo for a few seconds. It also should be nested in a menu. This will clear every app you have been running out of RAM.
  • Like 2

I use the app on Roku and fire stick because the picture on sports looks like shit on the tv installed app.

But yea it hangs up, mostly just on the fire stick actually. But had to go that route because I added a tv recently and YTTV and Roku are having their gd spat.

And yes I can restart the fire stick. Sometimes that works. Sometimes I have to delete and reinstall. Irritating as fuck.

If it hangs up during TX ou today that might be the last straw.

I use the app on Roku and fire stick because the picture on sports looks like shit on the tv installed app.

But yea it hangs up, mostly just on the fire stick actually. But had to go that route because I added a tv recently and YTTV and Roku are having their gd spat.

And yes I can restart the fire stick. Sometimes that works. Sometimes I have to delete and reinstall. Irritating as fuck.

If it hangs up during TX ou today that might be the last straw.

Yttv is in the roku, it’s just in the YouTube app