Credit card with disposable numbers for online purchases?

XYZ

11 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I have a "friend" who makes them for me to buy drugs with.

Seriously, what do you intend to use this for?

Are you pulling my leg? It's to prevent fraud. You give the online merchant a one-time number, so if they steal it they can't do anything with it. Yesterday, again, I got hit with a fraudulent charge so I had to cancel the card and order a new one. I'm fucking tired of it.

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Most reputable online vendors have reputable and secure online CC processing.

Unless you are buying something sketchy from someone sketchy, you don't really have to worry about it.

Sorry TwiceHorn, but I don’t think you can make that blanket statement. I buy some things from big sellers such as Amazon, and I can believe that they have their shit together as far as keeping your CC data safe. But I also often buy shit online from small sellers, like car parts for air-cooled VWs and stuff like that. You can’t convince me that every legitimate merchant is savvy enough in terms of data security. I mean, shit, some years ago the federal government’s Office of Personnel Management (OPM) sent me a wonderful letter to tell me that hackers had gotten into their DB and stolen basically everything, including biometric data such as fingerprints, but not to worry, “experts” haven’t figured any nefarious use for stolen fingerprints yet, so I can sleep easy.

And besides, my CC number keeps getting stolen every few months, so I have to start closing different doors. Could be stolen from online merchants, could be stolen when I give my card at a restaurant, could be stolen when I insert the card into the reader at Walmart or anywhere else. I don’t know how th fuck they do it, but they do it.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

Use Visa checkout it's baked into all visas. 

Is there a particular reason you are seeking it out other than extra security for purchases online? 

No reason other than to avoid giving my CC number on online purchases.

I hate a thief/burglar/any dumb ass that decides he/she/it thinks it is entitle to take something from someone else. I wish there was a more severe penalty for this shit. I had my CC stolen through a online breech. Even had the address where they thieves had their stuff shipped since it was my email address still link on the online account, I would get shipping notifications complete with everything but a name. No one care enough to check it out. I make the report to the CC company. They remove charges and then CC company just writes off the fraudulent charges as good will. I even told their Fraud Department i could provide them the address of the person making these fraud charges and they didn't want it. This behavior could be changed but it would take the CC companies actually giving two fucks to look into these fraud cases first.

5 hours ago, texasjacket said:

I hate a thief/burglar/any dumb ass that decides he/she/it thinks it is entitle to take something from someone else. I wish there was a more severe penalty for this shit. I had my CC stolen through a online breech. Even had the address where they thieves had their stuff shipped since it was my email address still link on the online account, I would get shipping notifications complete with everything but a name. No one care enough to check it out. I make the report to the CC company. They remove charges and then CC company just writes off the fraudulent charges as good will. I even told their Fraud Department i could provide them the address of the person making these fraud charges and they didn't want it. This behavior could be changed but it would take the CC companies actually giving two fucks to look into these fraud cases first.

This. Somehow this is not hitting the CC companies’ pockets. When they remove the charge from your account, they must also do a chargeback with the merchant. Or maybe the CC companies make so much money that these fraud losses don’t bother them. I think it sends a terrible message to society. It shows that certain crimes can be committed with impunity because the law doesn’t give a shit about them. Same as with telemarketers. They do their thing with impunity. Shit, even the law itself commits crimes with impunity, e.g. civil asset forfeiture. We’ll just take your shit and profit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, texasjacket said:

I had a similar thing happen to me. Card number was stolen and they bought a bunch of high dollar drones. Where the thieves f'd up was when UPS sent me a deliver change notice. I had everything but their name. Called Visa and they cancelled the charge and reissued me a new card but didn't give a shit about the thieves or the drones.

I have a capital one quicksilver, and it has this feature. You create a number for whatever site, and it’s good only for that site. You can terminate that number any time and create a new one. 

Ticketmaster UK had a data breech a few months ago, and I wasn’t worried one bit. Went in, cancelled the number, and I’ll make a new one the next time I need one for that site. 

If you have the address, couldn't you call the police in the town of the shipping address and pursue charges? 

I have had mine stolen 2-3x and the charges show up the same every time at a Kroger Fuel Station in my town that I don't go to hardly ever. Someone was using a skimmer somewhere. But I reported it to the PD and they have actually followed up on it, called me multiple times to get the date, dollar amounts, etc. No end result yet but I know they've reached out to me at least a couple of times to try to find the asshole. 

My cities double card has this.   The system for getting the cards is a bit cumbersome  (uses java or flash or some deprecsted plugin) but it works.  I used it for my moviepass subscription.  I sort of wish companies would issue you a secondary physical card with a different number that you could place restrictions on.

On 9/25/2018 at 7:12 PM, midtown said:

Why does anyone care?  Your not on the hook 

Save the hassle of dealing with your card getting exploited? First filing with the bank, then getting a new card, updating that number wherever you had rdcurring payments, etc. 

Much easier if you can use a trash number that only works in one location for online purchases. Then when ticketmaster, british airways, or whomever is next to get hacked, if they get the number so what? It won’t work anywhere else, and you can cancel the number and add a new one.