Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

6 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

NRG Arena? I thought he was going to the biggest stadium in Texas and now he's going to the smallest facility at NRG? Ouch.

Seats 8-10,000. Wanna bet there's plenty of empty seats?

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I bought a treadmill for my fiancee and spent a couple of hours in the spare bedroom watching Rick and Morty on Hulu and putting it together.  Beto commercials abound on Hulu.

Yup.

In my area, it's basically Beto + Culberson + Fletcher ads.  Non-stop through Hulu commercials.

BREAKING: @BetoORourke raised $38.1M in Q3 but spent an astounding $29.2M — a burn rate of nearly 77%.

What the heck did he spend almost 30mm on? I'm not being funny when I say that my guess is gas, holiday inn's and rental cars for all 252 counties or whatever plus all college must be expensive and time consuming and then shirts and political ads on Hulu?

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

BREAKING: @BetoORourke raised $38.1M in Q3 but spent an astounding $29.2M — a burn rate of nearly 77%.

What the heck did he spend almost 30mm on? I'm not being funny when I say that my guess is gas, holiday inn's and rental cars for all 252 counties or whatever plus all college must be expensive and time consuming and then shirts and political ads on Hulu?

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

• Like 1

Can't yet tell you where the 29.2 millino went, but a large majority of what he spent up til June 30 was digital advertising, then merch, then payroll and telephone. I'd imagine this will be about the same, probably with more TV advertising thrown in an field organizing services.

1 minute ago, relapse98 said:

Can't yet tell you where the 29.2 millino went, but a large majority of what he spent up til June 30 was digital advertising, then merch, then payroll and telephone. I'd imagine this will be about the same, probably with more TV advertising thrown in an field organizing services.

rs_500x282-160824155427-tumblr_ndo3fjrKI

https://www.fec.gov/data/disbursements/?committee_id=C00501197&two_year_transaction_period=2018&data_type=processed&min_date=01%2F01%2F2017&max_date=10%2F16%2F2018

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Figured the cookie can bookmark it since he is VERY CONCERNED and JUST ASKING QUESTIONS about Beto actually spending the money he raised.

Dude, I'm just legitimately taken aback that shit is so expensive is all. I absolutely believe it's above the board spending and legitimate. It's just crazy to me how much a true blue, ground game GOTV battle costs. And it's awesome that Beto has a) raised the money and b) executing and pulling it off. It just goes to show you why so many populist/upstarts are a failure to launch and why inertia helps the incumbents with the big institutionalized spending/PACs/etc.

I mean, 30mm on t-shirts, phonebanks, operations for all that stuff, etc. Good for him.

But I get it, you take every chance you can to try and troll me for not being as knowledgeable about politics, generally, (and you are, I'll give you your due I learn a lot from you especially regarding polling/surveys) and for not being as aligned as politically as you are.

And I did take a cheap shot at you once about being poor and having a shitty paying job or something (things you volunteered in a post once) and so that's why you want free stuff, and I'm sorry for that. It was a bad day and an ugly moment, and if that's why you hate me, please forgive me on that one.

Edited by Guest

Just looking at that link js1 gave, curious what is a contribution refund?

So, someone contributes, then has a change of heart or gets mad at a position, asks for a refund and they give them one? Sounds pretty stand-up and honest to me.

Spender Recipient State Description Disbursement date Amount  
BETO FOR TEXAS ARVAN, BEN WA CONTRIBUTION REFUND 06/30/2018 $250.00

30 minutes ago, ERhine said:

There’s no take backs in campaign contributions. But you know that I’m sure. Keep asking those questions.

Okay, then what is a contribution refund? I'm just using the two words as I understand them, "contribution" and "refund".

Also, why do you people assume I'm savvy and know things about things? Do I appear to be of anything more than average, at best and that's not being exceptionally humble or demure, intellect. 

I know why js1 trolls me, I think, and I've tried to make it right by apologizing to him for an ugly moment. I have no idea how I got cross-wise with you, however, or why you seem to think I know more than I let on for whatever reason. I honestly can't remember a single post of yours except this one.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Need to park this right outside the arena......

Photo-2-for-story-on-Trump-tweet-truck-b

Need a few of these too:

ted_cruz.png?v=1521920847

And:

When specifically asked his opinions on Ted Cruz, Boehner made a face, drawing laughter from the crowd.

"Lucifer in the flesh," the former speaker said. "I have Democrat friends and Republican friends. I get along with almost everyone, but I have never worked with a more miserable son of a bitch in my life."

And a truck with monitors playing a loop of this from the :35 mark:

Need all of those just circling the event.

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

So, someone contributes, then has a change of heart or gets mad at a position, asks for a refund and they give them one? Sounds pretty stand-up and honest to me.

Maybe they meant to donate $25 and asked for a refund? Is this really that hard to imagine?

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Maybe they meant to donate $25 and asked for a refund? Is this really that hard to imagine?

no that makes sense, I hadn't thought of that. 

No idea at all if the Ben Arvan refund is anything like this, but I would imagine if/when they receive a donation that is not permissible and need to refund it, it looks like that.  One of the recentish dishonest trumpy/cruz troll talking points on twitters/fb/etc has been an article that Beto received some impermissible campaign contributions (which is completely normal and is handled by reviewing the contributions and refunding those types of contributions).

The burn rate does indicate that they're certainly going to spend the cash.  Interesting that what they haven't spent is identical to 75% of what Cruz raked in total in the same quarter.

Does anyone know where to find the final registration totals?  I found the article in the Chronicle from the end of September, https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Texas-sets-voter-registration-record-with-1-6-13258057.php, but I'm curious if there is anything new.  There's no fucking way any of the Independents that registered did so to vote for Ted.  Beto could win this race if turnout gets over 40%.  

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

No idea at all if the Ben Arvan refund is anything like this, but I would imagine if/when they receive a donation that is not permissible and need to refund it, it looks like that.  One of the recentish dishonest trumpy/cruz troll talking points on twitters/fb/etc has been an article that Beto received some impermissible campaign contributions (which is completely normal and is handled by reviewing the contributions and refunding those types of contributions).

The burn rate does indicate that they're certainly going to spend the cash.  Interesting that what they haven't spent is identical to 75% of what Cruz raked in total in the same quarter.

This. Most of the refunds have been for people who have already given over the individual limit. 

3 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

3 hours ago, ERhine said:

There’s no take backs in campaign contributions. But you know that I’m sure. Keep asking those questions.

People get refunds all the time. 

This spring I was invited by a good friend to a fundraiser for some guy. I didn't know anything about him and still don't, but a friend asked me to go and it sounded like a good time, and so I did.

Anyway, tix were $100, and I was confused/tipsy when I bought mine online, and accidentally bought 100, for a donation of $10,000. Anyway, I realized this when I woke up to a VERY nice email from the candidate thanking me for my generous donation, and making sure that we had a chance to meet in person.  I emailed him back and explained my mistake, and within 2 hours, they refunded back all $10k. I met the guy at the fundraiser and we had a good laugh. 

I realized later that I never did pitch in my hundred bucks. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

People get refunds all the time. 

This spring I was invited by a good friend to a fundraiser for some guy. I didn't know anything about him and still don't, but a friend asked me to go and it sounded like a good time, and so I did.

Anyway, tix were $100, and I was confused/tipsy when I bought mine online, and accidentally bought 100, for a donation of $10,000. Anyway, I realized this when I woke up to a VERY nice email from the candidate thanking me for my generous donation, and making sure that we had a chance to meet in person.  I emailed him back and explained my mistake, and within 2 hours, they refunded back all $10k. I met the guy at the fundraiser and we had a good laugh. 

I realized later that I never did pitch in my hundred bucks. 

That's one way to get free mini crab cakes. 

• Haha 1