Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is that all he offers as a role model in your opinion?

Those are probably the most relevant contributions.

why are you guys so hung up on creating idols out of our  politicians. 

I have attended the funerals of better men this week. 

Edited by Anastasis

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We're not creating idols, we just want to be able to elect good decent people and have them represent us honorably

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Because monkey see, monkey do. 

The president’s influence is almost inescapable in American society, that’s just the way it is.

Wouldn’t you want that person to be someone your kid could look up to?  I sure as hell would. 

If you don’t, that’s pretty shitty for your kid’s sake. 

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is that all he offers as a role model in your opinion?

I think all kids should be able to look up to and admire a guy who had zero problems firing Hellfire missiles into weddings and just launching them at cellphones without actually verifying if the bad guys had the phone on them.  And killing 16-year old American citizens because their pops wasn't a good dude. 

I'll chalk a bunch of it up to the awfulness of Trump, but the lengths people go to suck off Obama because he acted chill and cool is beyond me.  That's all Americans really want.  Someone that acts the part.  Doesn't matter what they actually do.  Just some Americans want a dignified puppet and some want a raging firebrand.  These rose-tinted glasses in respect to Obama are just as pathetic as the people who think Bush is swell now that Trump is around.  I don't know how far back you'd have to go to find a President that wasn't a fucking shitbird.  Maybe Carter?  None of them are role models.  If they were, they wouldn't ever make it to the Presidency in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

I think all kids should be able to look up to and admire a guy who had zero problems firing Hellfire missiles into weddings and just launching them at cellphones without actually verifying if the bad guys had the phone on them.  And killing 16-year old American citizens because their pops wasn't a good dude. 

I'll chalk a bunch of it up to the awfulness of Trump, but the lengths people go to suck off Obama because he acted chill and cool is beyond me.  That's all Americans really want.  Someone that acts the part.  Doesn't matter what they actually do.  Just some Americans want a dignified puppet and some want a raging firebrand.  These rose-tinted glasses in respect to Obama are just as pathetic as the people who think Bush is swell now that Trump is around.  I don't know how far back you'd have to go to find a President that wasn't a fucking shitbird.  Maybe Carter?  None of them are role models.  If they were, they wouldn't ever make it to the Presidency in the first place.

I'm gonna guess you've never turned that healthy skepticism on the troops. They're all role models of course and fighting for our glorious freedoms. Cops too are also wonderful, no reserve your contempt for Democrat politicians

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In my humble opinion our LEADERS should be role models in this country.  The fact they’re not is really sad considering we get to choose our leaders. 

They used to be.  

Hell, our leaders used to be our heroes.

That was probably taking it too far, but I don't think it's asking too much to expect them to be decent men and women that our kids can look up to.

28 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Then you have attended the funerals of at least 2 extraordinary men.

Your second sentence presumes that "us guys" are creating idols out of any politicians.  I'm certainly not.  I do think our last POTUS set a high bar and the constant effort to tear him down is misguided and silly.  You might think otherwise.  You know, because you see "both sides".

• Like 1

I wish it were true that our politicians were men and women of strong principles and followed these ideals in Kantian fashion and that our children could look up to them as role models.  That has not ever been the case and it never will be.  People who aspire to be presidents and kings and rulers of nations are utilitarian narcissists driven primary by ego.  Some are better than hiding it than others.  That is the only difference.  Obama would order the bombing of 10,000 school children if that is what it took to be president and sleep like a baby that night.  So would GWB, Reagan, Nixon, FDR, and all the others.  If you put Beto in a room and he was told that in order to be senator all he had to do was jam a screw driver into your eye socket and no one would ever know, you would be blind before you even knew what was going on while he walked out the door and gave a emphatic, head bobbling speech and would follow it by kissing babies in the crowd.  So would Cruz.  I don't know what world you all think we live in, but these people are narcissistic sociopaths.      

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Yeah, well you're a fucking idiot.  The viral inability for most Americans to see the ridiculously difficult job for what it is lets opinions like yours flourish, when in fact your opinion is EXACTLY what is fucking our country up by setting a standard that basically says "anything goes".

Fuck you for that.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I wish it were true that our politicians were men and women of strong principles and followed these ideals in Kantian fashion and that our children could look up to them as role models.  That has not ever been the case and it never will be.  People who aspire to be presidents and kings and rulers of nations are utilitarian narcissists driven primary by ego.  Some are better than hiding it than others.  That is the only difference.  Obama would order the bombing of 10,000 school children if that is what it took to be president and sleep like a baby that night.  So would GWB, Reagan, Nixon, FDR, and all the others.  If you put Beto in a room and told him in order to be senator all he had to do was jam a screw driver into your eye socket and no one would ever know, you would be blind before you even knew what was going on while he walked out the door and gave a emphatic, head bobbling speech and would follow it by kissing babies in the crowd.  So would Cruz.  I don't know what world you all think we live in, but these people are narcissistic sociopaths.      

Shut up

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I wish it were true that our politicians were men and women of strong principles and followed these ideals in Kantian fashion and that our children could look up to them as role models.  That has not ever been the case and it never will be.  People who aspire to be presidents and kings and rulers of nations are utilitarian narcissists driven primary by ego.  Some are better than hiding it than others.  That is the only difference.  Obama would order the bombing of 10,000 school children if that is what it took to be president and sleep like a baby that night.  So would GWB, Reagan, Nixon, FDR, and all the others.  If you put Beto in a room and told him in order to be senator all he had to do was jam a screw driver into your eye socket and no one would ever know, you would be blind before you even knew what was going on while he walked out the door and gave a emphatic, head bobbling speech and would follow it by kissing babies in the crowd.  So would Cruz.  I don't know what world you all think we live in, but these people are narcissistic sociopaths.      

That describes pretty much every living human animal.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I do think our last POTUS set a high bar and the constant effort to tear him down is misguided and silly.  You might think otherwise.

Nobody is tearing down your bpf obama. Some of us just look to domains outside the political realm for the people that we hold up as role models to our children. Jesus. Take a breath guys. Don't get so spun up if a few here and there don't worship the ground that these assholes walk on. 

Edited by Anastasis

11 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I wish it were true that our politicians were men and women of strong principles and followed these ideals in Kantian fashion and that our children could look up to them as role models.  That has not ever been the case and it never will be.  People who aspire to be presidents and kings and rulers of nations are utilitarian narcissists driven primary by ego.  Some are better than hiding it than others.  That is the only difference.  Obama would order the bombing of 10,000 school children if that is what it took to be president and sleep like a baby that night.  So would GWB, Reagan, Nixon, FDR, and all the others.  If you put Beto in a room and he was told that in order to be senator all he had to do was jam a screw driver into your eye socket and no one would ever know, you would be blind before you even knew what was going on while he walked out the door and gave a emphatic, head bobbling speech and would follow it by kissing babies in the crowd.  So would Cruz.  I don't know what world you all think we live in, but these people are narcissistic sociopaths.      

Trump is a narcissist sociopath. The others you mention are not. Your post is complete crap meant to excuse his behavior. And if it’s sincere means you have serious mental issues. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Nobody is tearing down your bpf obama. Some of us just look to domains outside the political realm for the people that we hold up as role models to our children.

Sure, and that group includes myself.  This might be a huge stretch for you, but it's possible to find admirable people within the political realm AND without.

Try to think harder.  I know it's Friday, but come on.

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump is a narcissist sociopath. The others you mention are not. Your post is complete crap meant to excuse his behavior. And if it’s sincere means you have serious mental issues. 

I don't give damn about Trump and think he is a lousy president and will be glad when he is gone.  I didn't reference him in my post and didn't even think about him when I wrote it.  Not everything is about Trump and not everyone who says something you disagree with is a fan of Trump.   

Just now, Born to Run said:

Doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t aspire to return to those days.

Sure, but as my granny, a politician that I would actually hold up as a potential role model to my children would say, "Pull your fucking head out of your ass and stop being so god damned naive." 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

I don't give damn about Trump and think he is a lousy president and will be glad when he is gone.  I didn't reference him in my post and didn't even think about him when I wrote it.  Not everything is about Trump and not everyone who says something you disagree with is a fan of Trump.   

“Obama would order the bombing of 10,000 school children if that is what it took to be president and sleep like a baby that night.”

That is what you wrote right? I suppose you would argue Beto would as well, just so we can get back on thread track. 

Just now, JimmyJames said:

“Obama would order the bombing of 10,000 school children if that is what it took to be president and sleep like a baby that night.”

That is what you wrote right? I suppose you would argue Beto would as well, just so we can get back on thread track. 

Yes, that is what I wrote.  You were the one who named Trump.  I was making a comment on the type of person who structures their whole life around pursuing positions of extreme power (not local offices and other civil service type roles).  And I also think Beto would do the same if that was a requirement to be president.  

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

what the fuck

Seriously.

I haven’t checked the board today til now, and this is the first page I looked at. Some people need to step away from political discourse for a while. You only get to vote once, and I’m guessing most here already have. Go do something that makes you happy, ‘cause clearly posting here only brings out the inner Lewis Black style rage explosion in some of y’all. 

• Like 3

Sure, but as my granny, a politician that I would actually hold up as a potential role model to my children would say, "Pull your fucking head out of your ass and stop being so god damned naive." 

I’m not naive, and I’ve used Beto as a teachable moment for my kid. Time will prove if he’s true to his principals -we know Cruz at this point.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I’m not naive, and I’ve used Beto as a teachable moment for my kid. Time will prove if he’s true to his principals -we know Cruz at this point.

I do actually think that Beto is different in a meaningful way. And he is going to fucking lose. Because American (and Texas) politics are totally dysfunctional. The latter is my primary teaching moment to my children.