Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

I think Beto pulls it off. But I will say I think a good chunk of the “new” votes are going to be red.  I don’t discuss politics in group settings too often but shooting the shit with the neighbors recently, most of them were having to register this time; people knew it was going a bigger threat than usual in TX.  Hell it got me and my wife off our asses, first time we’ve ever had to vote. 

• Haha 1

El Paso county is letting the caravan invaders vote 5x each.  Of course it will go to court.  Don’t you watch infowars?

Incorrect. The caravan people are already here and are voting right NOW! People, wake up. Soros flew a bunch of caravan actors out there to act like they won’t get here in time to vote! I’m telling you, we need to vote right now or the end will come and the owl god worshipers of the new world order and deep state start opening up pedo-pizza parlors in your town.
  • Like 2

Feels a little like the last days of Bernie - when it became apparent the Democratic decision making process would not be reviewed for fidelity to fairness. The disbelief rains over you. Somehow people - who knew the process circumvented what any fair process would have incentivized - defended a process that leached away any popular support for positions that might hold solutions rather than more of the same. What person would happily defend a process that churned out bums delivering payouts to bagmen?

Every thing appears to be pointing to a Cruz win.

Like Bernie's better ideas, take O'Rourke's better plans and messages for a brighter future and make them demands for future candidates. 

These candidates believe they are worthy to represent your ideas (or at least understand them). Fair enough. Recognize wealth inequality is a far bigger problem than income disparity. Idle wealth does not produce jobs. If you have idle wealth, figure out how to put it to good use or get taxed on it accordingly. 

We are moving quickly as a world. Now is not the time for wealth on the sidelines. Start building a future were wealth eliminates food and shelter insecurity. Provide a basic income and an ability to live on that income or strive for additional income to reach for dreams. It's a pretty simple problem. To the idle wealthy, you have the time and the wealth. You see what is coming. Time to start planning for a better world for all.

I hope Beto skips out on any 2020 run. He will get chewed up as the neoliberals complain about rouge candidates who don't know how to win or govern. This is a Nader/Bernie payback year - where they and their supporters are branded an Nazi enablers by the Elites. The nomination is going to the biggest phony willing to follow a strict script. Kamal, Cory or Castro. That's not Beto's message and, given the anger at Bernie by establishment Democrats,. 2024 would be a better year. He can establish a concessional record, maintain an independent streak, and build his brand. And he can stay neutral in what will be an ugly, ugly 2020 Democratic Nomination Process.

Would have been nice to see a populist progressive win again in Texas. We have had our fair share over the years and Texas always comes out more vibrant. 

Edited by washparkhorn

4 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

The national following he's gotten has been incredible. If he wins he'll be the biggest political rock star Dems have. I want him to serve out his full term but he's going to have a lot of influence within the party. 

If he wins, more people will actually want to move for work to Texas.  With the amount of national exposure he’s gotten, it’s almost in the state’s best economic interests that he win.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Best argument I’ve heard so far for Cruz. 

I can get that for some people but for me personally, I desperately would appreciate certain more certain types of talent coming into Austin specifically.  I literally cannot find a few specific people for work that has been dormant locally for months with extensive recruiting and right now is remote hired out of California in the meantime.

Just now, UTDD said:

I can get that for some people but for me personally, I desperately would appreciate certain more certain types of talent coming into Austin specifically.  I literally cannot find a few specific people for work that has been dormant locally for months with extensive recruiting and right now is remote hired out of California in the meantime.

Yeah, I don't think that the argument that what Austin really needs is more Californians is generally going to burn real hot.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, I don't think that the argument that what Austin really needs is more Californians is generally going to burn real hot.

Sure I get that too, but I don't care if they are from Mars, I just want talent.  

12 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Should turnout go significantly beyond this then who knows how this shakes out. From that politico article Cruz’s last opponent got 41% for basically doing nothing.  

Most of us (and Texas at large couldn’t name Ted’s opponent last time.  And he did get 41%.

Spoiler

Paul Sadler

How much did it cost the Dem to get 41%?   The Dem only raised $139,000.  Cruz raised over $9,000,000.

And Cruz wasn’t coming off of having slobber Trump’s knob, after Trump called him a liar, mocked his wife’s looks, and implied his dad helped kill a President.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the GOP loses Texas’s electoral votes, here’s not many scenarios where they win the White House in 2020 or 2024.  

Agreed.  Texas is the real danger for the GOP and while I don't think Texas turns blue yet, I do think in about 10-15 years, Texas could absolutely be a strong purple with trends as they are now.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Most of us (and Texas at large couldn’t name Ted’s opponent last time.  And he did get 41%.

Reveal hidden contents

Paul Sadler

How much did it cost the Dem to get 41%?   The Dem only raised $139,000.  Cruz raised over $9,000,000.

And Cruz wasn’t coming off of having slobber Trump’s knob, after Trump called him a liar, mocked his wife’s looks, and implied his dad helped kill a President.  

Seriously - Paul Sadler got 41% by basically just existing as a human being but some dude's "friend" who is "connected" says Beto won't crack 40%.

Okay.  JenLaw.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UTDD said:

Agreed.  Texas is the real danger for the GOP and while I don't think Texas turns blue yet, I do think in about 10-15 years, Texas could absolutely be a strong purple with trends as they are now.

They sure as hell won’t win Texas in 10-15 years with certain attitudes they have right now.  

If Cruz somehow holds on, he’s going to have to run a far different campaign in 2024, and he can’t be supporting politicians like King and Trump then.  

LOL, just kidding, he will be too busy running for President in 2024.  

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Seriously - Paul Sadler got 41% by basically just existing as a human being but some dude's "friend" who is "connected" says Beto won't crack 40%.

Okay.  JenLaw.gif

So if $139,000 and no name recognition gets you 41%....seems like Beto could could make up some of that 10% with the $60 million he’s raised. Plus his name recognition.  Plus, now that people have seen Cruz, more than a few Rs have found him uninspiring, or he called their Dear Leader a sniveling coward.  

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So if $139,000 and no name recognition gets you 41%....seems like Beto could could make up some of that 10% with the $60 million he’s raised. Plus his name recognition.  Plus, now that people have seen Cruz, more than a few Rs have found him uninspiring, or he called their Dear Leader a sniveling coward.  

Seriously, if Beto can't swing it 10 points with the money and fame he has had over the past year, I don't know if Texas will ever turn blue.  Of course it is 2018 and nothing matters.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The gop, including Rove are scared to death about Beto.   Hence why they making pre election comments that Beto screwed up. “If I had run it, he would be walking into the senate.  Blah blah.”   I guarantee this will be their messaging tomorrow.   They don’t want to talk about why you should vote for Cruz.  They want to paint Beto as a loser because they’re afraid of the early vote totals (and their own exit polling) they are seeing. 

That politico article mentions that Cruz doesn’t see a model of how Beto can win 3m votes in 6m turnout.   I think Cruz will struggle to find 4m in a 8m turnout.   He doesn’t have a presidential race or even a competitive governor race to pull him along. He’s on his own and struggling.  

In 2012, Romney won Texas by 1.2 million.  Cruz won in 2012 by...1.2 million.  Cruz had a helluva lot of help from both riding Romney’s coattails, plus Obama got more than a few Rs off their asses that wouldn’t have otherwise.

Cruz doesn’t have anybody’s coattails to ride (and Trump May have cost him points with that rally), and he doesn’t have the bogeyman of Obama to play against   

I think Beto ran to try and turn out in his mind a dormant base that has never been fully committed and motivated enough to make a difference in Texas.  He could have tried to run as a moderate to siphon off some voters that way, but you can't easily fault someone for running as their authentic self.  I get the sense he'd rather lose as himself than triangulate just to win.  I think his grass roots campaigning has been good for him but also other candidates in this and future cycles.  Even if Beto loses, he might help a few local candidates get over the hump with increased turnout.  My only real gripe with his campaign has been his TV stuff -- I think the ads I have seen haven't been very good and did not showcase his personal charisma and appeal.  I think he should have ran more like Obama did in 2008 on TV -- showcasing a movement for change (showing crowds/individual people (that other Texans could identify with) being emotionally moved with Beto and with their real problems maybe being addressed) and real impact in Texas and get people excited about a larger theme that way...

1 minute ago, UTDD said:

I think Beto ran to try and turn out in his mind a dormant base that has never been fully committed and motivated enough to make a difference in Texas.  He could have tried to run as a moderate to siphon off some voters that way, but you can't easily fault someone for running as their authentic self.  I get the sense he'd rather lose as himself than triangulate just to win.  I think his grass roots campaigning has been good for him but also other candidates in this and future cycles.  Even if Beto loses, he might help a few local candidates get over the hump with increased turnout.  My only real gripe with his campaign has been his TV stuff -- I think the ads I have seen haven't been very good and did not showcase his personal charisma and appeal.  I think he should have ran more like Obama did in 2008 on TV -- showcasing a movement for change (showing crowds/individual people (that other Texans could identify with) being emotionally moved with Beto and with their real problems maybe being addressed) and real impact in Texas and get people excited about a larger theme that way...

Except that's proven to be a poor strategy in 2018 - milquetoast moderate Democrats get blown out or ignored. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Except that's proven to be a poor strategy in 2018 - milquetoast moderate Democrats get blown out or ignored. 

Well, let's see after this Tuesday, I think 2018 is mostly defined by this day more than any other.  Also, each district/county/state is different than one another, so I don't think you can blanket statement that kind of thing so easily.  I think it's a case by case basis and it greatly depends on the specific opponent, demographics, potential base turnouts, prior voting history/trends, and many other factors.  If Manchin or Tester for example didn't run in the middle somewhat, they would possibly get annihilated in their specific situations.  Whether Beto's strategy was best will be greatly shown Tuesday.  I personally think he ran a good campaign except for his TV ads so I can't fault him much overall.

How come we never thought to make BEVO for Senate t-shirts?  Anyway, interesting flow of PAC money in this past week according to watchdog groups.  Apparently it was pro-Cruz groups recently propping up other candidates to make them more appealing to the "Anybody but Cruz" camp.  I don't understand, the other side had matching t-shirts and everything.  

Good news is it will all be over in 36 hours or so.  I don't think Beto campaign folks looked enough at the successes of Rick Noriega's campaign a few years back.  He got an incredible showing with so much less fanfare and media support (nevermind dollars/donors).  

The most interesting part of this race to me is what the loser will do after this.  Both are so young politically and have such name recognition.  I don't like either one but they are sharp cats with some promise.  

Who knew both parties would pin their big-tent hopes on pushing forth two possibilities for the first Hispanic POTUS, and that they both add up to be about as Hispanic as Lana Del Rey.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

How come we never thought to make BEVO for Senate t-shirts?  Anyway, interesting flow of PAC money in this past week according to watchdog groups.  Apparently it was pro-Cruz groups recently propping up other candidates to make them more appealing to the "Anybody but Cruz" camp.  I don't understand, the other side had matching t-shirts and everything.  

Good news is it will all be over in 36 hours or so.  I don't think Beto campaign folks looked enough at the successes of Rick Noriega's campaign a few years back.  He got an incredible showing with so much less fanfare and media support (nevermind dollars/donors).  

The most interesting part of this race to me is what the loser will do after this.  Both are so young politically and have such name recognition.  I don't like either one but they are sharp cats with some promise.  

Who knew both parties would pin their big-tent hopes on pushing forth two possibilities for the first Hispanic POTUS, and that they both add up to be about as Hispanic as Lana Del Rey.

If Cruz loses, he's done politically. If anyone still needs a reason to vote Beto...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There's a reason Texas has the lowest voter turnout in the country and it's not because the republicans aren't voting. 

I didn't turn out for on a regular basis, especially in the last 2 decades.  Complacency and apathy were the result of feeling my vote didn't matter.  They were all politicians, they were all crooked, they were all in the pockets of the special interests and corporations.  Some just wore red ties, and other wore blue.  They all slung mud at each other, and all came across as disingenuous liars set only on obtaining office for their own interests, not mine.   I think more than anything, that last part is why Beto has stirred me.  He has espoused a message of unity, compromise to benefit everyone as much as possible.  He hasn't reverted to the scare tactics.  He wants Texas to lead in finding solutions, not cowering from the problems. 

I too think Beto wins.  And if he doesn't, then at least he has reinvigorated those of us who felt passed by by legislators who paid us lip service, but were puppets for much larger, greedier interests.  

I, like many of you, have donated both money and time to a candidate for the first time.  I see others rising up around me to do the same and feel maybe our vote does still count, it just needs leadership, organization and focus.  Not only Beto, but MJ, Gillum, Abrams and others are standing up and running.  We aren't beaten down into submission by the lobbyists, we are rising up and retaking our system. 

Maybe a new party arises from this, maybe on old one is rebuilt to be better.  Either way there has been an awakening and things are going to change.  In the state of Texas the Dem system needs to be rebuilt, new blood needs to bring new fresh ideas and tactics.  For a long time the Dem party here has basically given up, put placeholders in for statewide offices.  But that is going to change. 

The Dems of Texas need to use this campaign by Beto to re-energize.  To rebuild for the future.  Truly grass roots.  Like Brisket thinks, maybe it is too late, but I hope it is not.  

• Like 6

I was not a midterm voter because it never really mattered to me.  White, educated, young, healthy.  As Louis CK says "You couldn't even hurt my feelings."  What's the worst that can happen if a vote doesn't go my way?  Nothing.  Because every way is 'my way.'  

This election cycle just made it to where I see how many people are abused by the system, how rigged the system is, how much certain people are shit upon, and who is responsible for that shitting.  So for the first time I felt like I had to vote, and I would have voted D this cycle if it was virtually anyone on earth running.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I was not a midterm voter because it never really mattered to me.  White, educated, young, healthy.  As Louis CK says "You couldn't even hurt my feelings."  What's the worst that can happen if a vote doesn't go my way?  Nothing.  Because every way is 'my way.'  

This election cycle just made it to where I see how many people are abused by the system, how rigged the system is, how much certain people are shit upon, and who is responsible for that shitting.  So for the first time I felt like I had to vote, and I would have voted D this cycle if it was virtually anyone on earth running.

putting your invitation to the cookout during my lunch break. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

How come we never thought to make BEVO for Senate t-shirtsAnyway, interesting flow of PAC money in this past week according to watchdog groups.  Apparently it was pro-Cruz groups recently propping up other candidates to make them more appealing to the "Anybody but Cruz" camp.  I don't understand, the other side had matching t-shirts and everything.  

We spend too much time in U in her B forum 

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He's not going to run away with it. He might lose.

Literally would not matter who was going up against Cruz.

NANCY PELOSI

SOCIALIST

TAXES

OPEN BORDERS

GEORGR SOROS FUNDED MOB

Every Democratic candidate for Senate, from Beto to McCaskill to Manchin to Feinstein, is getting hit with the same ads and talking points.  And none of those 4 are on the same spectrum of "the left."

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Literally would not matter who was going up against Cruz.

NANCY PELOSI

SOCIALIST

TAXES

OPEN BORDERS

GEORGR SOROS FUNDED MOB

Every Democratic candidate for Senate, from Beto to McCaskill to Manchin to Feinstein, is getting hit with the same ads and talking points.  And none of those 4 are on the same spectrum of "the left."

I'm looking at his actual voting record here

http://politicsthatwork.com/voting-record/Beto-ORourke-412575

100% on gun control... 100% on raising taxes.. 79.2% on higher spending.. 99.4% on environmental protection. 100% on "robust safety net". 

Gun control alone will disqualify him with most moderate Texas republicans.

If Dems want a Senate seat in Texas, you can't put someone up there with this kind of voting record.

1 minute ago, Jack said:

100% on gun control... 100% on raising taxes.. 79.2% on higher spending.. 99.4% on environmental protection. 100% on "robust safety net". 

Yeah, that motherfucker wants to protect the environment.  LOCK.  HIM.  UP.

14 minutes ago, Jack said:

The dems never should have put someone up against Cruz with this liberal of a voting record. Cruz was very beatable and he's going to run away with this.

I don't predict outcomes. I have no idea what this crazy electorate will do or why.

In this case, I'm glad there is at least one candidate of conviction and integrity on the ballot, Beto. For the first time maybe ever, I felt like I was in a Frank Capra movie when I voted straight Dem. Up or down, I feel great about that vote. 

I don't care to vote for another robo-candidate specially packaged to be vague and pandering. Both sides churn them out in droves by either squeezing the individuality out of candidates or choosing vanilla Halloween masks in the first place.

I need to have a vote I can get behind with full mind and heart. I'm revolted by my country at the moment. I'm disgusted with the face of our government at the moment. Beto is right on the issues, and he's the kind of man/candidate we need in larger numbers from all over the spectrum.

Some glimmer of light would be nice in this Brisket World of darkness.

• Like 7

Being a visitor on this board and living up in Okieland wanted to thank you guys for sharing the Beto message! Showed my wife the On The Road Again ad last night and she hit the donate 50.00 after already having bought me a Beto t-shirt! Hope Beto kicks Ted's ass tomorrow!!!!!! TED.........

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Jack said:

Gun control alone will disqualify him with most moderate Texas republicans.

If Dems want a Senate seat in Texas, you can't put someone up there with this kind of voting record.

Soooo, the Dems should nominate a Republican? 

• Like 2