Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I can't imagine my church hosting a rally for a political candidate. Gross. 

This.

Our congregation doesn't even have an American flag in the sanctuary except for one single day of the year (scouting sunday, when the Boy Scout troop associated with the congregation participates in the service and comes in with their colors).  Theologically, that's 100% sound to me.

Hell, I remember the Sunday after 9/11, no flags, no patriotic tunes, none of the trappings of America.  Just a sermon.  And real-deal hymns.  I was pretty raw, when I complained about it to my wife, she said "well, the church's allegiance is to God and all his people, not the flag or a country."  And it resonated like hell with me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Steve seems on top of things.

Yes Steve, going to be 12 million midterm votes out of 15.6 million registered Texans.

Also 8.2 million would be about 52.5% of registered voters in Texas.  That would make me cry, I'd be so thrilled.

We had 5.8M in early votes. Looks like he's just looking at using the same ratio of Election Day to Early Votes as happened in 2016.

In 2016 in the Top 15 counties about 71.7% of votes were early in-person votes. If you use the same percentage for 2018 you end up with over 8.1M total votes. I honestly don't see that happening as I view the 2018 midterms as a battle of more motivated voters, which means we will lose some of the "oh yeah the election is today" voters that we get in Presidential election years.

I'm not an expert or anything but I think we'll have a total of 7.5-7.75M votes at the end of tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

We had 5.8M in early votes. Looks like he's just looking at using the same ratio of Election Day to Early Votes as happened in 2016.

In 2016 in the Top 15 counties about 71.7% of votes were early in-person votes. If you use the same percentage for 2018 you end up with over 8.1M total votes. I honestly don't see that happening as I view the 2018 midterms as a battle of more motivated voters, which means we will lose some of the "oh yeah the election is today" voters that we get in Presidential election years.

I'm not an expert or anything but I think we'll have a total of 7.5-7.75M votes at the end of tomorrow.

Agree.  That's what it looks like to me too.  Everyone's favorite word on EV this year is "cannibalizing."  He's not taking that into account at all.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Idk man, if anything I see this year's election as even more energized and motivated than in 2016. There's no third party to steal votes and the dems aren't running a pantsuit as a candidate so the voters broadly actually like the candidate. I could see 8.2M votes easily. Literally everyone I know has voted so far, including folks who abstained in 2016. I really hope 8.2MM is an underestimate. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I agree with all this, but I think the number is closer to 7.3 than 7.5.  

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

That couldn’t be good for Cruz

Eh, not so fast my friend. In general, higher turnout helps Dems, but we have to recognize that higher turnout in the few populous red Texas counties will heavily benefit Cruz. My thesis on this race is that in a high turnout scenario, O'Rourke's chances hinge on whether he can outperform "generic dem" in Collin, Denton, Tarrant,  Wilco, Lubbock, McClennan, Brazoria, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I agree with all this, but I think the number is closer to 7.3 than 7.5.  

Eh, not so fast my friend. In general, higher turnout helps Dems, but we have to recognize that higher turnout in the few populous red Texas counties will heavily benefit Cruz. My thesis on this race is that in a high turnout scenario, O'Rourke's chances hinge on whether he can outperform "generic dem" in Collin, Denton, Tarrant,  Wilco, Lubbock, McClennan, Brazoria, etc. 

Yeah, I think I'd probably go 7.3-7.5M instead of my earlier range. As mentioned above, percentage of voters voting early has been on a steady incline, which is just one more thing to add to the list of reasons why 8.2M is too high.

On the other hand there is supposed to be pretty good weather overall statewide tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

they're happy to vote for him, but they're not going to turn out to see him. they don't care THAT much

I think this is part of it.  They are programmed to vote R from birth no matter what, so they don't pay attention.  They just go into that booth every 2 years, hit the R button, and move on.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

FWIW- I never thought Beto answered that question the right way. His answer should have been:

“No offense, ma’am, but how NFL players act on the sidelines doesn’t keep you safe, lower your taxes or get better wages for working people. It’s something politicians want you to worry about so you won’t hold them accountable.
I stand, and I’m running for the Senate, not NFL commissioner.”

You don't go viral with that answer.  

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think this is part of it.  They are programmed to vote R from birth no matter what, so they don't pay attention.  They just go into that booth every 2 years, hit the R button, and move on.

Yeah, I was pretty much one of those dumbasses for a long, long time. It's a shame. Mostly born of ignorance, intellectual laziness, religious, family and community influence and a lot of status quo thinking. Glad I've moved on from it.

• Like 3