Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

well given that all of the urban centers went heavily for Hillary in '16, it can only be a good thing for Beto that the urban population centers are turning out in record numbers. There just aren't that many R's in those areas any more. If the urban population centers continue to turn out and break records then all Beto has to do is convince enough of the rural voters to vote his way that drops the Rs a few points for victory. 

Edited by Longhorn94

23 minutes ago, horncyclist said:
29 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:
Harris County voting numbers broken down by location.
DqPreC7U4AA9O6V.jpg:large

Someone want to interpret this? Is the increased turnout uniform? More blue or red?

There's still really good turnout in some of the more traditionally blue early voting locations like Fiesta Mart, Bayland, MMSS, Alief and East Harris County.

But still really strong turnout in very red places like Champions, Spring, Tomball, Cypress and Katy.

There's still really good turnout in some of the more traditionally blue early voting locations like Fiesta Mart, Bayland, MMSS, Alief and East Harris County.

But still really strong turnout in very red places like Champions, Spring, Tomball, Cypress and Katy.

I don’t doubt Cruz voters are voting in higher numbers but I also believe those areas are not breaking for Cruz at the same historic percentages and we’ve seen anecdotal evidence whether it’s sign concentration or rallies to suggest these areas are moving to lighter red or a faint shade of purple.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I don’t doubt Cruz voters are voting in higher numbers but I also believe those areas are not breaking for Cruz at the same historic percentages.

I hope not.  Some of the outer NW parts of Harris County voted 70-75% for Trump.  It's VERY aggy there between 10 and 45 along the 99 Grand Parkway.

I grew up out there.  I just got into with my dad/stepmom on the phone last night because "Beto the fake Mexican is going to take our guns!"

Edited by Js1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I hope not.  Some of the outer NW parts of Harris County voted 70-75% for Trump.  It's VERY aggy there between 10 and 45 along the 99 Grand Parkway.

I grew up out there.  I just got into with my dad/stepmom on the phone last night because "Beto the fake Mexican is going to take our guns!"

Is the stepmom the idiot or the biological mom the idiot (your words)?

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Beto Moral Victory Message Prediction: A focus on number of Dem voters turned out instead of percentage of total votes.

Bookmark this for prescience value.

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=e9083cc19f4f42f3b5e82350fea847a8

1960 was like a national border in the 2016 election.

imgur

I got an interesting text last week:

"FREE MSG: Which issue matters most in the election for State Senate? Pick one: E=Education, C= gov't Corruption, T=Taxes, O=Other?"

Me: "C"

"Thanks for your reply.  State Senator Don Huffines is leading the fight against government corruption."  WTF?  Granted he pushed for eliminating Dallas County Schools, but the guy has his own skeletons in padding his considerable wealth.

Sorry for thread drift but it jumped out at me with the messages above about texts from candidates. 

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

lol @ anyone who talks to their parents about politics

(mine are long dead, so no worries there)

It wasn't by choice, really.

Dad asked if I voted.  I said I tried but the line was way too long and I'd go on Saturday.  Stepmom jumped in and was like "well, that's okay, you're voting straight ticket Republican." and then I just nervously chuckled and they went off on me.

Has anyone seen Heidi Cruz in this election cycle?  I know she was involved in recent interview for a magazine.  the Atlantic?   But besides that I haven't seen her.  Now since I don't pay close attention to Cruz rallies, I could be wrong and she is at every one.

I assume that she fully supports Ted staying in DC while she and the kids are in Houston.  Who wouldn't.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Has anyone seen Heidi Cruz in this election cycle?  I know she was involved in recent interview for a magazine.  the Atlantic?   But besides that I haven't seen her.  Now since I don't pay close attention to Cruz rallies, I could be wrong and she is at every one.

I assume that she fully supports Ted staying in DC while she and the kids are in Houston.  Who wouldn't.

She stole those yard signs.  You can't convince me otherwise it wasn't her.  Same car, same ugly pink sweater.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom said:

And how is this a unique problem to the United States?  There are plenty of obese people and smokers in Canada and the  UK.  They still pay significantly less across the board for universal access and better outcomes.

I don't disagree that we need a system that promotes healthy behaviors, but it doesn't explain why health care is so much more expensive here than anywhere else. 

We hide costs from the patient every step of the way which encourages high prices and overcharging. People need to understand and care that their copay isnt actually their cost of care. 

Also, Canada and the UK arent as fat at us. They arent the healthiest advanced countries by any stretch, but they are both well ahead of us. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Cuz we shouldnt need to import drugs from Canada. They should be sold here for the same, still profitable, price. Instead we get gouged. 

nor should they be tax exempt since they are for profits. 

Edited by Mdhorn

21 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

this era of politics and history will be studied for a long time, assuming we survive it. every day something new and unprecedented happens. every goddamn day.

Your assumption, while hopeful, is incorrect.

This is how it all ends.  Read the books.  History books, prophecies, whatever, they're all the same.  You follow the script that we're following, the ending is written.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is how it all ends.  Read the books.  History books, prophecies, whatever, they're all the same.  You follow the script that we're following, the ending is written.

Call me an eternal optimist, which I am, therefore:
tenor.gif?itemid=5109282

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

you're telling me that Champion Forest and Tomball don't have liberals and/or minorities?  

Ha.

My precinct was 67.7% Trump, 28.7% Clinton, 3.6% Johnson. I will be interested to see if we get a breakdown at the precinct level for this Senate election. I figure O'Rourke needs a move to something like 65/35 in precincts like mine to have a chance.

Also worth noting that over 80% of votes in my precinct were early in 2016.

Edited by Huckleberry

1 minute ago, Mack Tripper said:

Not to mention that party ID in Texas is only determined by the primaries someone voted in the past, which have abysmal turnout, particularly for dems and independents. 

I voted in the GOP primary.  I will vote for 1 single Republican only - Sarah Davis (HD 134) because the Texas Teapublicans/Abbott/Goeb  fucking hate her.  So she's awesome in my book. Otherwise, clicking (D) on every other race.

Edited by Js1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I voted in the GOP primary.  I will vote for 1 single Republican only - Sarah Davis (HD 134) because the Texas Teapublicans/Abbott/Goeb  fucking hate her.  So she's awesome in my book. Otherwise, clicking (D) on every other race.

And also really bangable. 90's mom cut FTW.

Davis.Sarah_.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

What’s the ending?

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

What’s the ending?

There-Will-Be-Blood.jpg?fit=900,375&ssl=

There will be widespread political violence.  Elections will become close to meaningless, as there will be so many assaults on them -- from open disenfranchisement by government apparatus to out-and-out hacking of electronic votes and voting results -- as to lose all legitimacy.  Political opponents will be...wait, I know there's a phrase I've heard -- "Lock her up!"  And "Lock him up!" if you're Beto.  Political opponents will be imprisoned, with the true charge being "dared to defy the authoritarians in power."  People will lose their access to the courts (already happening -- welcome to tort reform), which may well be a blessing, because the integrity of the courts will be in shambles anyway.

We'll look a lot like any number of banana republics, fascist states, communist dictatorships, etc.  Folks at the top will do quite well.  Folks at the top who are loyal to the regime will do even better.  Folks in the middle class will keep their heads down and try to get by.  Folks at the bottom will get fucked.  And any thought of this being a free Republic will be a veneer.

There-Will-Be-Blood.jpg?fit=900,375&ssl=1

There will be widespread political violence.  Elections will become close to meaningless, as there will be so many assaults on them -- from open disenfranchisement by government apparatus to out-and-out hacking of electronic votes and voting results -- as to lose all legitimacy.  Political opponents will be...wait, I know there's a phrase I've heard -- "Lock her up!"  And "Lock him up!" if you're Beto.  Political opponents will be imprisoned, with the true charge being "dared to defy the authoritarians in power."  People will lose their access to the courts (already happening -- welcome to tort reform), which may well be a blessing, because the integrity of the courts will be in shambles anyway.
We'll look a lot like any number of banana republics, fascist states, communist dictatorships, etc.  Folks at the top will do quite well.  Folks at the top who are loyal to the regime will do even better.  Folks in the middle class will keep their heads down and try to get by.  Folks at the bottom will get fucked.  And any thought of this being a free Republic will be a veneer.
That shit happens and I'll show you a fucking mob. I still see hope but thanks for the downer.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You really believe this?

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I can see more widespread violence, but nothing civil war like.  I wasn’t around then, but older family says late 60s/1968 was still a more traumatic period and we came back.

So you see it degrading into an Erdogan/Turkey or PUTIN/RUSSIA situation?  Again, will never happen with a Republican President with 90% of media against them every step of the way.  That’s way more likely with a Dem President.