2018 Hurricane Season

Lobwedgephil

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

I have been through many more than a few hurricanes over the years...  During the actual storm it is exciting, interesting, and even enjoyable if you're safe...and the weather just before the storm is usually glorious...  it's the aftermath that really really sucks.

That's how I remember it, although you have some level of innocent ignorance as a kid.  I experienced two hurricanes when I grew up in Camp Lejeune on the North Carolina coast.  One swept through in about a day.  I remember the day after it passed being one of the most beautiful days of the year, except I'd never seem so many tree limbs down in my life.  The other seemed to last 2-3 days.  I remember going out to play with a bunch of friends when the eye was over us, and it was a weird, calm feeling, only to later get slammed by the tail of the hurricane.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's how I remember it, although you have some level of innocent ignorance as a kid.  I experienced two hurricanes when I grew up in Camp Lejeune on the North Carolina coast.  One swept through in about a day.  I remember the day after it passed being one of the most beautiful days of the year, except I'd never seem so many tree limbs down in my life.  The other seemed to last 2-3 days.  I remember going out to play with a bunch of friends when the eye was over us, and it was a weird, calm feeling, only to later get slammed by the tail of the hurricane.

Going out in the eye is one of the most surreal experiences.

45 minutes ago, Loco said:

Disagree, but I do get your point.

I have been through many more than a few hurricanes over the years...  During the actual storm it is exciting, interesting, and even enjoyable if you're safe...and the weather just before the storm is usually glorious...  it's the aftermath that really really sucks.

Yeah, for sure there's a thrill to it as you hunker down and prepare (drink heavily) and the storm comes in, and grows with the surf and rain, but it gets old after several hours.  The 2 days after always suck, and if the power is out that gets old after the ice runs out.   I love watching a nor'easter from the safety of the cottage.

Our Honeymoon in Jamaica was during Gilbert in '88.  We both grew up around the water, and decided we were probably safe in our hotel, and made the best of it (drinking, smoking, and lots of sex ).  It sucked more after the storm passed for sure.

35 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah the eye is strange, dead calm then the fury begins again.  The rains afterward can be a real pain in the ass, when you're ready to start digging out and can't.

When I used to wrap my own fishing rods (tedious but rewarding-ish) I would keep a blank, guides, and thread and spin up a new rod during/after a hurricane.  Don't need power, just time, and it gives you something to do after the yard work is done.  Also spinning up a rod is not generally sweat inducing...  sit in the shade with a light breeze (hopefully) and dream of all the monsters your gonna land with this thing.  Also since you're not in a hurry you can get more intricate with the thread.  /csb

Drinking and fucking in Jamaica sounds better though.

Edited by Loco

Yeah, for sure there's a thrill to it as you hunker down and prepare (drink heavily) and the storm comes in, and grows with the surf and rain, but it gets old after several hours.  The 2 days after always suck, and if the power is out that gets old after the ice runs out.   I love watching a nor'easter from the safety of the cottage.
 Our Honeymoon in Jamaica was during Gilbert in '88.  We both grew up around the water, and decided we were probably safe in our hotel, and made the best of it (drinking, smoking, and lots of sex ).  It sucked more after the storm passed for sure.

We have a family Monopoly game. That board has been played by lamp/candle light in umpteen hurricanes since Beulah.

If you are inland and safe, and we’re smart enough to stock up on/make a TON of ice, the storm and the first 48 hours after can be quite ok. Hunker down during and play games. After, get out with your neighbors and clear debris. Have big cookouts with the neighbors to cook the meat in the thawing freezer. But, by day three....it gets real old. You’re hot, it’s hard to sleep in the heat, you’re low on ice.

After Ike, my folks were fine till day 4. They were just about to bug out to us in Austin, then their power came back.

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Surly rant

Hasn't made landfall yet and I'm already tired of the "ZOMG! My mother's friends's Aunt's former roommate lives in NC. I'M SO WORRIED!!!" 

/rant

You're going to feel terrible about posting that when my mother's friend's aunt's former roommate who lives in NC dies in the hurricane.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

We have a family Monopoly game. That board has been played by lamp/candle light in umpteen hurricanes since Beulah.

If you are inland and safe, and we’re smart enough to stock up on/make a TON of ice, the storm and the first 48 hours after can be quite ok. Hunker down during and play games. After, get out with your neighbors and clear debris. Have big cookouts with the neighbors to cook the meat in the thawing freezer. But, by day three....it gets real old. You’re hot, it’s hard to sleep in the heat, you’re low on ice.

After Ike, my folks were fine till day 4. They were just about to bug out to us in Austin, then their power came back.

Yep, you get to know a routine with these storms, excitement and fun, then tedium, then clean up. We've taken to buying as many bags of ice we can haul, take them to the wifes hometown on the Chesapeake bay, which gets flooded even if it's a particularly high tide.  Lots of those folks "used" to live in homes about 3' above surrounding grade (most, if they've survived have been lifted up 4-5' or more). 

They're older homes, paid off so they don't have insurance, and they're mostly low income watermen.  They get hit really hard, so we're like the ice cream man rolling down the street passing out bags of ice to anyone that needs 'em.

21 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Interesting graphic from the National Weather Service.  They said on their FB post any alternative meaning to the graphic was unintentional...

florence_nws_graphic.jpg

Yesterday's wind field penis is now a giant tumor.  Hurricane winds went from Cape Fear to Frying Pan Shoals yesterday and are now north of Nags Head to south of Pawley's Island.

ndfd_max_gust_northcarolina_72.png

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Haha 1