2018 Hurricane Season

Lobwedgephil

Storm surge expected 12-14 feet, and that's not counting wave height (usually 3-6 feet in these) plus tide.  Michael's supposed to make landfall about halfway between low and high tide; high tide comes about 6 p.m. in Apalachicola, Michael hits about 2-3 hours before that.  So the tide will be rising as it hits.

Anything that ain't 15-20 feet high is gonna get flooded.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

The people on the hurricane board seem to think it's going to continue to strengthen. I hope they're full of shit.

Typically these storms lose a category of strength right before landfall...I'm guessing because of the shallow water.  I was hoping the dry air of this cold front would kill the storm some but that doesnt look like it's going to happen as I dont think the front will reach the storm in time

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Glad I passed on the chance to buy a small house in Rosemary Beach.  Landfall should be east of there but shit, not east enough.  Panama City . . . oof.

I love that area. Never went to the panhandle growing up in Georgia for some reason, but I finally made my first trip this past may with my family to Seagrove Beach. The water there is just absolutely amazing. Really hoping they don't sustain too much damage.

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Jeff's "success" in Harvey is going to get someone killed eventually. Too many chasers.

Storm chasers and Notaries Public, they live for excitement, danger, and adventure and there is always an abundance of them so that no one cares when one dies.