2018 Hurricane Season

Lobwedgephil

@Jeff_Piotrowski is Ok! Thank God. #verizon cell service went down Jeff’s location icon disappeared. He just called from a persons #TMobile Catastrophic Damage like Hurricane Andrew at Springfield, Callaway,Mexico Beach. Massive search and rescue underway! #HurricaneMichael2018

Can we stop calling them national news?  They're all just infotainment drama queens.  The lead reporter on ABC's 5:30 'News' just now using every phony technique to portray melodrama.  "These are the families trapped here at this hotel, enduring this fire alarm."  Non-plussed people glaring back at him, rolling their eyes.

Haven't checked the actual weather websites, but wasn't this so powerful because it had a small core of the strongest winds?  Which would be like Charley in SW Florida in 2004.  So I bet most of these reporters didn't see anything close to the max winds.

Strongest hurricane to hit the US since 1969?

Edit:  I'm pretty sure it was the strongest since 1969, that wasn't a sarcastic question, didn't intend for it to read as doubting.  But if it was like Charley, the really intense damage will be over a relatively small width.

Edit:  Edit:  I see we can edit more than five minutes after posting now.

Edited by clapclapclap
I like to edit

8 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Can we stop calling them national news?  They're all just infotainment drama queens.  The lead reporter on ABC's 5:30 'News' just now using every phony technique to portray melodrama.  "These are the families trapped here at this hotel, enduring this fire alarm."  Non-plussed people glaring back at him, rolling their eyes.

Haven't checked the actual weather websites, but wasn't this so powerful because it had a small core of the strongest winds?  Which would be like Charley in SW Florida in 2004.  So I bet most of these reporters didn't see anything close to the max winds.

Strongest hurricane to hit the US since 1969?

Don't let a few over-zealous yo-yos fool you into thinking Michael was anything less than it is/was.

https://www.axios.com/hurricane-michael-unprecedented-florida-panhandle-a870f495-b339-4b29-a7ce-7458664961d1.html

My parents live in Tallahassee and have been without power since 1:00 EDT. They just texted me and they are okay but have a shitload of trees down.

I’m afraid to see what happened to Saint George Island - that was our go to stomping grounds in high school. Such a beautiful place that is probably almost completely wiped out after today.

This thing blew up so fast. When I talked to my parents on Monday they weren’t expecting more than a Category One. Two days later? It makes landfall at almost a Category Five.

Mother Nature is scary, yo.

Just found this thread. Figured I'd chime in. I currently live on tyndall AFB, me and the family evacuated yesterday morning as the base commander issued an evacuation order. Dont have many details but at last check base is w/o power, water and sewer. We've been told to stay in place for the foreseeable future.

Mexico beach was just down the road and one of our favorite places to chill on the weekends. Cant imagine what it looks like at it is literally on the water, the whole city is.

Here is s picture of what used to be a static display aircraft near the base on cherry street.862d9f36855faab5102cd74c14c33790.jpg

• Like 1

Good to hear you got out before, hopefully your stuff (mainly your car just for the record) made it through unscathed. I’ve spent a lot of time in the area and prefer it over the area West because it was still laid back. Preliminary pictures look like it took a beating though. Hurricanes suck, especially as the season comes to a close and people let their guard down. I didn’t get a hurricane pass this year but I may need to call and get one still so I can get to our house if anything comes up in south FL.

This guy (apparently quite rich) has for years chased many of the biggest hurricanes all over the world.  Has seen a lot and seems to be more credible than your typical blue shed wanker or Red Tide Adair.  We'll see what daylight brings when the cameras go airborne.

Edited by clapclapclap

20 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

I left my 69 superbee in the garage and we took off in the truck and trailer(dog in tow) while the wife drove the car with kid in it. Not sure what the house will look like, (live on base) as it was a older 2 story but fingers are crossed. aeee42761d433d00a41873dbd57f336a.jpg

well..at least you have power, AC and running water

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

My parents live in Tallahassee and have been without power since 1:00 EDT. They just texted me and they are okay but have a shitload of trees down.

I’m afraid to see what happened to Saint George Island - that was our go to stomping grounds in high school. Such a beautiful place that is probably almost completely wiped out after today.

This thing blew up so fast. When I talked to my parents on Monday they weren’t expecting more than a Category One. Two days later? It makes landfall at almost a Category Five.

Mother Nature is scary, yo.

Yeah,my sister in -law lives there as well. About the same, all good, lots of trees down.

The marina was just remodeled a month or two ago. Its very nice, I'm sure it cinder water snd the boat yard next to it, forget about it.

Base commander and associated leadership all has houses next to the bay. J cant imagines what that street looks like.

Been slowly getting pictures from my leadership and whomever made the comment about the bastongne shelling is right on point.

In the this picture you can see the base gate in the background....pretty torn up. dff4f5c563c75554d20b3764651389e8.jpg

• Like 1