2018 Hurricane Season

Lobwedgephil

3 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Got a bad feeling there's a lot of dead in Panama City. Storm kind of sneeked up on them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Mexico Beach numbers probably go up quite a bit based on the numbers they are saying are unaccounted for right now as well. I think they said the other day there were several hundred that did not evacuate just in that small community.

9 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Got a bad feeling there's a lot of dead in Panama City. Storm kind of sneeked up on them.

This storm didn't sneak up on anyone in the US.  They could have been on the other side of the planet when this storm hit if they wanted.  People make stupid mistakes all the time and it costs them. Perhaps some of those folks couldn't evacuate due to financial circumstance or physical limitation but that's a different thing than being caught unaware.

Also I thought Panama City proper didn't catch the nasty side of the storm like Mexico Beach & Apalachicola

This storm was supposed to make landfall closer to St George Island up until the track started shifting Westward on Tuesday. I was watching every update from Tallahassee.

I am thinking Mexico Beach was mostly evacuated as its a place which is probably 90%+ second (beach) homes. Panama City on the other hand is a population center.

May be riding down to Mexico Beach tomorrow and try to salvage my buddy's stuff from his condo. Will try to take pictures if we make the trip.

Generac GP6500E still purring like a kitten here. City power starting to come back on in nearby areas. My cooperative says their substations should be powered up by the end of today. Got the Stihl running with a new spark plug and some starter fluid. Four wheeler may be fubar.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Loco said:

Also I thought Panama City proper didn't catch the nasty side of the storm like Mexico Beach & Apalachicola

FWIW, some of the weather forums were saying at the time that the west side of the eye was unusually strong.  PC may have also gotten more time in the eyewall based on the path.

4 hours ago, Loco said:

This storm didn't sneak up on anyone in the US.  They could have been on the other side of the planet when this storm hit if they wanted.  People make stupid mistakes all the time and it costs them. Perhaps some of those folks couldn't evacuate due to financial circumstance or physical limitation but that's a different thing than being caught unaware.

Tyndall is basically in line with the Eastern edge of Panama City with a lot of PC housing just on the other side of the bay. I don’t know that PCB was hit as hard but it is mostly condos and vacation homes.

Looks like there trip to Mexico Beach is on for tomorrow. Only thing that could kill it is LE saying no access. Will take some first hand pictures.

Reports from Jackson County and western Gadsden County areas grim. All church steeples down. Miles and miles of timber chopped at 20'. No gas or dollar stores open anywhere. Small town store fronts blown out to main street.

9 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Hurricane Willa. 

So, does anyone know a chick named Willa?? 

Where does the World Meteorological Organization come up with these stupid names?

Mike Modano used to.  It seems as if Willa is ready to do some damage.

maxresdefault.jpg

14 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Hurricane Willa. 

Where does the World Meteorological Organization come up with these stupid names?

My sister’s dog is named Willa. 

My wife has a friend whose daughter is named Willa. 

Theres a restaurant in NOLA called “Willa Jean.”

That’s all I got. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 10:17 PM, Stella Link said:

Hurricane Willa. 

My daughter's name is Willa, so this literally hits close to home

• Like 2

• 6 months later...